As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Moral Influence

2»

• Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmm. That was my view of Starship Troopers as well. Heinlein had some serious points to make, but in the movie they just went... "army? lol, that's fascist!" >:/

And I don't even agree with Heinlein's points.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DeepQantas wrote: »
    Hmm. That was my view of Starship Troopers as well. Heinlein had some serious points to make, but in the movie they just went... "army? lol, that's fascist!" >:/

I'm sure the Gestapo outfits didn't help. :P

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Er, Logan's Run was a dystopia. How is this not really obvious?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Er, Logan's Run was a dystopia. How is this not really obvious?
    B-b-but everyone was pretty.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    DeepQantas wrote: »

I'm sure the Gestapo outfits didn't help. :P

The movie is great a satire, unfortunatly no few got it. I read reviews that actualy take the fascist society seriously(the washington post) and slammed the movie as a result. They miss that the majority of the cast got slaughtered pointlessly by goverment stupidity and indifference.

The slogan in the movie: Service guarantes Citizenship is really a codeword for Society requires Cannonfodder.

I think the movie would do better today then when it was released. 10 years ago the satire went across people's head, today in post-9/11 and post-Iraq, not so much.

At least today people know when our politicans talk about Noble Sacrifice, they should head for the hills.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Loads of people got that Starship Troopers was a satire at the time. I saw it at theatrical release, then I saw it another 3 times at the theatre over the next 3 years as it kept on getting rescreened because it became a cult hit.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't understand how people can think that Starship Troopers (the movie) was serious. The "Would you like to know more?" commercials and all that stuff are about as overtly ridiculous as you can make them.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    it's not like it was remotely subtle.
    criminy some of it, like the kids gleefully stomping on bugs for the camera, were so heavy handed they were almost difficult to watch.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It was directed by Paul Verhoeven, who also directed Robocop. None of the dark comedy went through at all? I absolutely love the Starship Troopers movie - the book is an entirely different beast. If anything, taking it seriously is missing the entire point. It's almost as much of a comedy as it is an action movie.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    The movie is great a satire, unfortunatly no few got it. I read reviews that actualy take the fascist society seriously(the washington post) and slammed the movie as a result.
    Yeah, and I'm slamming it cos the point is stupidly simple. Yes, I get it, fascists are bad. What else is new?

The result is that I only enjoy it if I look at it as just another action movie. Go space-fascists, go! Huzzah!

DeepQantas on
    m~