As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is 10 years old to early to start?

blazertrek50blazertrek50 Registered User regular
I am considering taking my 10 year old grandson to Pax West with me on Friday (I live in the area). I have passes to both Friday and Sunday and am attending on Sunday with my oldest son and some friends. I am either going to sell/give away my two passes on Friday or take my 10 year old grandson who really wants to go. He plays Fortnite and many other console games such as Injustice2 and he really wants to go. What do you think? He is quite mature and intelligent (was promoted to a gifted school last year).
Thanks.

• Options
    skellerskeller San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I’m planning on taking my 4.5-year-old daughter for a few hours on Monday, so I don’t think 10 is too young. I would say just have realistic expectations for stamina (it’s a big, loud show) and tolerance for the boring parts of PAX (standing in line) and you should be ok. I’m planning to have lots of breaks and am flexible to leave as soon as needed.

• Options
    SweetCosmicPopeSweetCosmicPope Just Some Dude Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I took my son last year and he was 10 at the time, and he had so much fun! We're going again this year.

• Options
    BunktaviousBunktavious Registered User regular
    Go for it. The panels won't mean anything to him, but the show floor will blow a ten year old's mind.

• Options
    SweetCosmicPopeSweetCosmicPope Just Some Dude Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    0dr1qquw3q8t.jpg

• Options
    oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    Took my son for the 1st time 3 years ago when he was 11. This will be our 3rd in a row. A 10 year old boy that plays games will have blast. Just do some planning and hit the areas/booths that he will find interesting. Then use any extra time to just browse.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    My daughter's been going since she was 6 (she's 12 this year). It's not too young but you will need to take frequent breaks (recommend locating the AFK room where there's coloring and relative quiet). My daughter liked to sit a lot so we would often find random corners out of the way and just sit, people watch, and have some water or a snack. I also brought Uno so we had an easy, quick game to play.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    TashannocTashannoc Registered User regular
    I've been bringing my son since he was 5 or 6, I don't remember. I do remember a few years ago I had to start buying him his own badge, as he wasn't free anymore.

This year he's ten. Last year I think he had more stamina than I did, although I had already had 2 days of PAX-ing before bringing him on Sunday. Until last year I've only taken him one day, last year we did two and had a blast. I tried a lot of stuff I might have ignored because he thought it looked cool, and his enthusiasm was contagious.

I do use Friday and Saturday to try to scope out what he might like or what might be vastly inappropriate for him. I also make sure to have plenty of snacks and take reasonable breaks.

• Options
    blazertrek50blazertrek50 Registered User regular
    I have been attending PAXZ West (Prime) since 2013. I was going to wait until my grandson was 12 to bring him but he loves gaming (console and computer) so much that I know he would just love. However his parents have nixed the deal as being to much for him right now :( Maybe next year...

• Options
    RandorammaRandoramma Registered User regular
    My oldest is 8. I’m bringing her and my youngest (5) tomorrow. I let both girls make their own cosplay creations, we’ll walk the expo hall, play video games. I do want them to try dnd this year. Well also do the reaper paint and take and get lunch. I personally try and set no ajenda and just let them lead. Makes for a much better experience than
    if I got to get to and enjoy such and such event or panel.
    r073hz0d9uex.jpeg
    Pic for reference pax 2010.

PAX Prime '09 '10 '12 '13 '14