As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead franchise: Evil Dead Rise in April

191011121315»

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    It used to be that Bruce Campbell would show up in a movie or series and nail the part. Then I'd think about how long ago his slash gore comedy stuff was put on film.

It's kinda nice to get a status update on Ash and see he's still doing what he does. I'd have been happy with one season. I got one good season that feels right and a few seasons that had good episodes and moments of gold. I'm okay with that. I'd rather it had avoided the meddling in the end of season 2, but until the weird reset time travel thing everything was exactly as it should have been.

I like where TV is headed in the days of Netflix and AMC.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Right off the bat I have to say sincere Ash is now my favorite Ash. Those scenes were some of the best in the entire series, and Bruce nailed it. I also think Kelly is way to competent to be Ash's daughter, so I'm fine they didnt go that route. Love the actress so much I'm following her on the instagrams. Same for Pablo if I'm being honest.

Not happy with the ending, despite it falling in line with the series. If it truly is the end, as Bruce has publicly stated, I'd have preferred a happier ending for the character. Evil defeated, destiny fulfilled, beer bongs and earned father daughter time with uncle Brujo and Aunt ultra badass ending would have been perfect.

That said, I'm very happy to have gotten more Evil Dead. Never would I have ever dreamed of four seasons of ultra violent Bruce Campbell goodness, but by God it happened. I'll happily take the good with the bad and remember the viewings fondly.

It had a finish at least I guess.

I like that the setup at the end, it's pretty much the start to the last doom game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how you get a happier ending for Ash than that.
    A tricked-out muscle car with a sexy robot babe riding shotgun and both hands back heading out to kick evil's ass is basically Ash's version of "a tall, tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Brandy, you're a fine girl

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Season 3 is out on Blu-ray. Time to catch up.

My rationalization of season two's ending.
    I think the town thanking him at the end was an illusion brought on by Baal's deal.Also, the whole part with Ash's Dad turning into a chainsaw was Ash turning Baal's illusion power against him. He made Baal believe he had a chainsaw and it became real.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    When this show came out, I had to stop paying for Starz because I was going through a messy divorce and had to be able to afford a lawyer.

So I finally, finally binged my way through the 2nd and 3rd season. I had been putting it off because of all the negative comments on them.

And you know what? It's very fucking good. The whole show, the whole way through. We basically got another 15 hours of Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness. Bruce Campbell was phenomenal, his gift for physical comedy and one-liners was just as good as it ever was. And they actually made me care about the supporting cast. In an Evil Dead show! Kelly and Pablo, yeah, but also Lucy Lawless is a fucking queen, even as a villain.

I understand some people didn't like the ending of the entire series, but I thought it was basically the perfect send-off for Ash. They got to do the originally-intended ending for Army of Darkness (which, I've always actually preferred the S-Mart "Hail to the King" ending myself, but it works here) and somewhere out there, the Jefe is still kicking ass.

I think it has more than earned its spot in the canon, with some genuinely scary beasties (Eligos was never played for laughs and was actually a little terrifying) and splatstick humor on par with the best of Evil Dead 2 (which I maintain is actually the best of the 3 original movies, with the caveat that AoD was a better comedy flick).

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The ending is bad, because Campbell has retired the character, so the last we get of that story is that two characters we care about just disappeared. A world overrun by the Deadites could be interesting to explore (impossible on the show's budget) but it's unfair to fans of those other characters. It's not as bad as killing Newt and Hicks off screen, you can at least pretend they're still alive and out there, but it's a bad ending. But I curse the execs for not picking it up for a third season or a finale movie.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Did anybody else know there's a new canon Evil Dead movie coming this summer?

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3715514/bruce-campbell-teases-that-evil-dead-rise-is-a-very-adult-evil-dead-movie/

It's called Evil Dead Rise and it's exclusively on HBO. Raimi and Campbell are producing, Lee Cronin directing. Looks like more horror than comedy.

Could be good! I've heard good things about the 2013 film but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Is it a sequel to Evil Dead 2013 then?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

I don’t think anybody knows for sure yet, but the cast list doesn’t have any of those actors in it, so… maybe? The only thing we know for sure is that Bruce Campbell won’t be reprising Ash in it unless he’s a liar.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

oh... yeah i think it is. Well fuck that noise then.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

oh... yeah i think it is. Well fuck that noise then.

I liked 2013?

Why no u?

Also broar has been talking about the new Evil Dead game non stop and it looks fucking awesome, it basically feels like the same crew that made Friday the 13th had a hand in it.

I need to get some high speed internet so I can find out.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    It’s apparently not a direct sequel to 2013

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't see how it could be a sequel to 2013 or anything else. It's not the same character(s) and will apparently take place in an LA apartment building. Though tonally they make it sound like it stays straight horror like 2013 rather than horror-comedy.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Evil Dead should be a genre, of which you have variations: pure horror, horror comedy, and Ash.

• Options
    The Evil Dead remake had a full on curse going on in it. I liked that. The whole thing with it raining blood was good.
    There was something there. Way darker stuff.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Evil Dead should be a genre, of which you have variations: pure horror, horror comedy, and Ash.

I could see it as an anthology, with the Necronomicon being the common through line. However, that's a fine line from becoming another Hellraiser-in-name-only direct to video series of trash.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    They have always been kind of vague about the Deadites. I think the new game kind of fleshes the monsters out some more and introduces new ones.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    https://youtu.be/lCxTVxUehLs

There was a really silly photo of Bruce and Nathan Fillion from a comic con I went to long ago.
    I can't find it.
    I found this one. They always do silly photos together at conventions. It is a thing.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/27sxna/nathan_fillion_and_bruce_campbell/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Krathoon on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The Evil Dead remake had a full on curse going on in it. I liked that. The whole thing with it raining blood was good.
    There was something there. Way darker stuff.

The 2013 movie is what I think Sam and friends would have made if they'd had the money and expierience.

• Options
    New trailer!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smTK_AeAPHs

Looks pretty fuckin’ creepy!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    No Bruce Campbell. No Sam Raimi. No 1973 Oldsmobile.

No dice.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Campbell is working on the movie, just not starring in it.

But I get it. He’s a big part of the appeal of the original films.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think it looks good. I was never into the comedy of the Evil Dead films, it worked in the show because it's all like that, whereas the 2013 remake is much closer in tone to what I like. Would I like Campbell in there? Absolutely, but this doesn't seem like it's going for that same comedy style.

• Options
    Raimi is also attached.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »
    No Bruce Campbell. No Sam Raimi. No 1973 Oldsmobile.

No dice.

Well it has chainsaws, deadites doing crazy contortions, and the Necronomicon, so I'll give it a shot.

We gotta let Bruce and the cabin go someday.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It seems to me like someone had a script for generic horror movie and shoehorned in Evil Dead tropes after the fact.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I always thought the janitor from Scrubs would make a good Ash.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »

He is already getting old too.

• Options
    I never watched Season 3, but didn't they introduce Ash's daughter?

• Options

They did, and she was great!

But I think the Williams’ story is basically over now

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't know that Evil Dead without a degree of silliness is all that appealing to me. Maybe if they expand on the mythos of the Necronomicon and the demons more, but now it just seems like any other spooky ghost possession movie with ultra gore.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

They did, and she was great!

But I think the Williams’ story is basically over now

If they ever do more with Ash, it needs to be in the
    post-apocalyptic setting
    set up by the end of the series, which presents some logistical hurdles.

Probably best to leave it alone.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    bwanie wrote: »

He is already getting old too.

I could watch an older and even more cynical old man Ash storyline.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I remember watching Evil dead 2013 a few years back and while I can understand the issues people might have had with it as well as judging it on it's own merits, my main take away was that if sam raimi had had the money and the talent back in 1981 that it was the movie he would have made.

I'll watch this one and judge it on it's own merits in the same way that I did for that film before making a declaration one way or the other.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    a
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I remember watching Evil dead 2013 a few years back and while I can understand the issues people might have had with it as well as judging it on it's own merits, my main take away was that if sam raimi had had the money and the talent back in 1981 that it was the movie he would have made.

I'll watch this one and judge it on it's own merits in the same way that I did for that film before making a declaration one way or the other.

I saw 2013 in the theater and it was pretty fucking great.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Evil Dead 2013 is one of my favorite surprises of a movie. My dad rented it because he's a gorehound who'll rent anything with blood in it. I sat to watch it with him and thought 'this is gonna be garbage.' and am happy to report that I thought it was great. It still felt like an Evil Dead movie to me, just a little different flavor of Evil Dead.

I'm very exited to see Rise.

• Options
    So uh this movie currently has a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes

I guess the new director understood the assignment