As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Aether wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Very, very annoying. I seriously regret my choice of class, I hadn't realized how onerous the 8 card hand would be, and how random it would be to rely on the recovery skill to compensate.

What do you mean by this? The spellweaver's lost card recovery is not random.

(Maybe you missed the fact that when you take a short rest, you can take one damage to "reroll" the card that is randomly lost?)

What? You can definitely draw it way earlier than you'd prefer, and be forced to wait for a whole new cycle if you want to get a large recovery out of it or to recover specific cards.

As for the exhaustion, I forget what the exact situation was, but I had like two or three cards left, all in discard, one of which was Ether that I was counting on for a big recovery. Avoiding the damage would have dropped two from my discard and I wouldn't have had two cards the next turn, so unless I got the exhaustion rules wrong, I needed two at the start of a turn, even if the 1 I had remaining was my recovery card.

What do you mean by draw? Until played, all cards are available, and when you rest all (but one) of your non lost cards comes back?

lmao okay it is definitely possible that we have been drawing two cards each turn and choosing our actions that way, I completely forget where this assumption came from but we've played a few scenarios that way already, this last one was the only one we've ever run into difficulties and that was because of the phenomenally unlucky confluence of events for me

we just thought the game was really difficult
    Aether wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Very, very annoying. I seriously regret my choice of class, I hadn't realized how onerous the 8 card hand would be, and how random it would be to rely on the recovery skill to compensate.

What do you mean by this? The spellweaver's lost card recovery is not random.

(Maybe you missed the fact that when you take a short rest, you can take one damage to "reroll" the card that is randomly lost?)

What? You can definitely draw it way earlier than you'd prefer, and be forced to wait for a whole new cycle if you want to get a large recovery out of it or to recover specific cards.

As for the exhaustion, I forget what the exact situation was, but I had like two or three cards left, all in discard, one of which was Ether that I was counting on for a big recovery. Avoiding the damage would have dropped two from my discard and I wouldn't have had two cards the next turn, so unless I got the exhaustion rules wrong, I needed two at the start of a turn, even if the 1 I had remaining was my recovery card.

What do you mean by draw? Until played, all cards are available, and when you rest all (but one) of your non lost cards comes back?

@Kasyn if you've been playing spellweaver randomly drawing cards I'd love to see some game reports. That sounds so damn challenging.

Uhhh it has been generally fine, actually, the only few cards that ever felt like I either wanted or didn't want at a certain time were the recovery and loot ones.

This...this makes a lot more sense

I am actually impressed that you managed any victories drawing and playing 2 random cards a turn. Gloomhaven is not an easy game when you have access to all your cards and being at the mercy of your deck for what cards you can use seems like super hard mode.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    In this scenario we were as a team rushing ahead, and I did something to complete my personal battle goal. Was told basically they didn't like playing with me because of it. I even started the group.

Sounds like they had decided to ignore the Personal Goals if they contradicted with the group's plans ? That's certainly an option, but I would make sure that everyone agreed to do this before starting the game.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    In this scenario we were as a team rushing ahead, and I did something to complete my personal battle goal. Was told basically they didn't like playing with me because of it. I even started the group.

Sounds like they had decided to ignore the Personal Goals if they contradicted with the group's plans ? That's certainly an option, but I would make sure that everyone agreed to do this before starting the game.

... and, also, maybe throw out the personal goals, then, and just give everyone a couple of checkmarks per couple missions?

• texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    We did the same draw random cards when we first started too. It's not as uncommon as you think. It's actually counter intuitive to have all the cards in your hand, when you compare to basically any other game out there...

@Kasyn, you should also look for an FAQ on common rule mistakes, that wasn't the only one we were doing wrong. We also didn't have a standard set of cards for damage, we were using what comes with each class, you know, the upgrade pack, for our cards. The point is, there's plenty of rules to mess up.

I also suggest looking into the Gloomhaven helper app. It will make you life SO much easier. No spoilers, but later quests get pretty massive and with out an aide, you'll be overwhelmed quickly.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Just won a scenario thanks to a room full of Oozes dividing themselves to death. If they hit their healing action we would almost certainly have exhausted out (Triangles was on his pre-exhaustion long rest the round we cleared; Two-minis and myself had maybe two rounds left) but we faded it for enough turns to get them at 2 hp (or 3 and Wounded).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Just won a scenario thanks to a room full of Oozes dividing themselves to death. If they hit their healing action we would almost certainly have exhausted out (Triangles was on his pre-exhaustion long rest the round we cleared; Two-minis and myself had maybe two rounds left) but we faded it for enough turns to get them at 2 hp (or 3 and Wounded).

Oozes are a terrible pain in the butt. Some scenarios let you outrun them, most don't.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    They feature heavily in the solo scenario for the
    Cragheart
    . I'm not sure how you win that scenario without either that class's level 9 card or REALLY good ooze division luck.

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Oozes are a terrible pain in the butt. Some scenarios let you outrun them, most don't.

Oozes are easily my least favorite enemy, especially because there’s a good chunk of the campaign where they seem to show up in every single scenario. Whenever they appear, I know we’ll soon be ending almost every round with a five minute break for me to adjust their health tokens and figure out where the new spawns will go.

Cantide wrote: »

Oozes are easily my least favorite enemy, especially because there’s a good chunk of the campaign where they seem to show up in every single scenario. Whenever they appear, I know we’ll soon be ending almost every round with a five minute break for me to adjust their health tokens and figure out where the new spawns will go.

As long as I could keep track of which ones were just spawned (I have an idea to help with that next time), Gloomhaven Helper made that super easy. I would call out the active Ooze and reduce its health (announcing which ones died in the process), then one of the other players would tell me the number of the spawn and place it while I added it to the tracker, adjusted its hp, and marked it as a summon so we knew which ones dropped loot.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    We met a demon last night and he made us an offer.

Next week we will tell him where to stick said offer.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Sorta-spoilers regarding that plot thread:
    If you're running 2e, this is probably clearer, but in 1e it appeared to be potentially possible to beat him up and stop his plot, then invade his house to beat him up and take his stuff. The FAQ clarified that it was not, and we were sad. The rewards on either fight are considerable.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

If you're running 2e, this is probably clearer, but in 1e it appeared to be potentially possible to beat him up and stop his plot, then invade his house to beat him up and take his stuff. The FAQ clarified that it was not, and we were sad. The rewards on either fight are considerable.
    I think the current plan is to break his altar next week, then on the following week do the rift-sealing mission to make sure he doesn't bother us again.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • AetherAether Registered User regular

I think the current plan is to break his altar next week, then on the following week do the rift-sealing mission to make sure he doesn't bother us again.

Serious spoilers do not open if you want a pristine experience
    Yeah, it ain't the last you'll see of him, if this is the scenerio I think it is. He can come back via, and I cant remember which, a city card or a road card. We recently pulled the card, but haven't put him back in his place quite yet.

We're playing tonight. Just a side mission I think. Although it can be hard to tell sometimes.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Can Dirt Tornado hit Invisible enemies? https://i.imgur.com/1LbQpkG.jpg

To be more specific, we fought a Wind Demon that did a AOE attack and our Cragheart was Invisible. We didn't know if we should let him get hit or not.

Sidenote: Does Dirt Tornado hit allies if they were in the red hexes?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Riokenn wrote: »

To be more specific, we fought a Wind Demon that did a AOE attack and our Cragheart was Invisible. We didn't know if we should let him get hit or not.

Only with the Muddle, as specified.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited August 2018

Ah ok.
    So if thats the case then using area effect abilities (Multiple Red Hexes) won't hurt Invisible monsters cause we cannot target them, thus unable to draw an attack modifier right? (Since I JUST learned you need to draw an attack modifier for each targeted monster in area effect abilities. >.<)

Riokenn on

Ah ok.
    So if thats the case then using area effect abilities (Multiple Red Hexes) won't hurt Invisible monsters cause we cannot target them, thus unable to draw an attack modifier right? (Since I JUST learned you need to draw an attack modifier for each targeted monster in area effect abilities. >.<)

That's the interpretation my table's been using, yeah.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited August 2018
    So what about attack effects like push and pull? Can those still effect invisible monsters?

Also what if you push an enemy to a line of traps? Does he stop at the first trap or does he trigger all of them until he dies?

Riokenn on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    The official ruling in the FAQ is
    What specific abilities are prevented by invisibility?
    Only targeted abilities from enemies (those that say "Target" or "Attack") are prevented by invisibility.

It also mentions
    Can you explain in more detail how monsters interact with invisible characters?
    Invisibility works the same regardless of whether it is an invisible character or an invisible monster. Monsters can't focus on invisible characters, move through them (unless flying or jumping), or target them with any attacks or other targeted abilities (an ability like "CURSE, target all enemies within range," for instance, wouldn't affect the invisible character even if he/she were in range). Monsters essentially treat invisible characters like obstacles, but may occasionally affect them with non-target effects (such as splash damage). Once again, however, an invisible character will never be focused on by a monster.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    As a Scoundrel, you should be abusing the heck out of Invisible.
    Also what if you push an enemy to a line of traps? Does he stop at the first trap or does he trigger all of them until he dies?

You Push or Pull an enemy the furthest you can, to the limit of the Push/Pull ability. If that means dragging a mook across a line of traps, that's what happens.

edited September 2018

You Push or Pull an enemy the furthest you can, to the limit of the Push/Pull ability. If that means dragging a mook across a line of traps, that's what happens.

So even though the monster has 1HP and I use Push2 in a line of traps, he will
    Trigger the first two regardless of the first trap killing him?

Also Going back to area effects, who do I flip the modifier first if say there are 3 monsters in the area? Closest to me? The numbers on their stand? Or their initiative number?

Or is it my choice who I get to flip for first?

Riokenn on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Riokenn

I'm pretty sure you just pick an order, but you have to pick which one you're flipping the modifier for before you flip it.

So even though the monster has 1HP and I use Push2 in a line of traps, he will
    Trigger the first two regardless of the first trap killing him?

Also Going back to area effects, who do I flip the modifier first if say there are 3 monsters in the area? Closest to me? The numbers on their stand? Or their initiative number?

Or is it my choice who I get to flip for first?

No - you do the damage before you push, so if the Push had damage, that'll kill it. If not, the first trap will.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    How do you recommend utilizing invisible.

VayBJ4e.png
  • FryFry Registered User regular

It's great for opening doors. Also sometimes you can use it to force monsters to walk through traps, by blocking off their only path that doesn't go through a trap.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular

The classic play is to open a door and go invisible in the doorway. The monsters then don't have a path to the rest of your party so they don't activate. Next turn you choose a high initiative card so the monsters lose their turn again and you can go in safely and attack.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Korror wrote: »

The classic play is to open a door and go invisible in the doorway. The monsters then don't have a path to the rest of your party so they don't activate. Next turn you choose a high initiative card so the monsters lose their turn again and you can go in safely and attack.

Will the monsters still move towards the door so they're closer in position to the people they can see? edit: Apparently no, google says they won't. Good to know

SniperGuy on
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Will the monsters still move towards the door so they're closer in position to the people they can see? edit: Apparently no, google says they won't. Good to know

That's odd. Is this true? I thought Monsters will try to get as close as possible to their focus.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

That's odd. Is this true? I thought Monsters will try to get as close as possible to their focus.

Monsters don't consider any future turns and they have to have a path to their focus. If there's a blocked doorway with no way to reach their focus, they'll stay put instead of moving closer.
    In order to obtain focus on an enemy, there must be an unblocked path to an open hex where it could eventually move to and target the enemy. If an enemy can't find a focus, it doesn't move or attack on its turn and just performs any other abilities written on its card.
    https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/thing:174430:Official_FAQ

Ah ok, I was thinking of traps and obstacles as the same things.
    Cause on Page 31 of the rule book it totally says Monsters will trigger a trap to get to the enemy.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ah ok, I was thinking of traps and obstacles as the same things.
    Cause on Page 31 of the rule book it totally says Monsters will trigger a trap to get to the enemy.

A trap is a valid path, it's just the least preferable option. An obstacle is only a valid path if the monster has flying or jump. So flying monsters would move, even if they couldn't move far enough to get past the obstacle this turn, but grounded ones wouldn't.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    Are Random Dungeons The last page in the rule book talks about em) considered a scenario? I have the personal quest to complete 15 scenarios and am wondering if completing a random dungeon counts.

Are Random Dungeons The last page in the rule book talks about em) considered a scenario? I have the personal quest to complete 15 scenarios and am wondering if completing a random dungeon counts.

FAQ: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1897763/official-faq-game-revs-1-and-2-no-rules-questions

Way, way down the page there's a section on Personal Quests. If you have the card number for your PQ, you can look to see if there's an answer there. I'm going to guess from context that you might have card #518, in which case the answer appears to be "yes, random dungeons count"

edited September 2018
    Thanks! Also had a question about revealing a room. We opened a door last night while we had one Guard left in the previous room. The monster guard already acted out his turn at initiative 15 and the character who opened the door was at 30. If there are more Guards in the new room do they get a new card ability or are they still on initiative 15 as well?

Also say if we kill flame demons and their initiative is at 45 in the first room thus clearing it and and at the same turn (Initiative 50) open a new room with more flame demons. Do these new flame demons use the previous ability card or do they get a new one drawn?

Also a side question about a silly archer.
    We had an archer that was basically walled off to us by his flame demon friends trap and the only way for him to get in range was to start moving towards the open path. I decided he wouldn't start walking all the way around just to get in range and I had him stay put since he is ranged and he is technically as close as possible to his enemies. Was that the right call? I really don't think he'd start walking backwards. Same thing happened with the Guard during his ranged attacks. But I'd have him walk all the way around during his melee attacks.

Riokenn on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    Monsters in a new room don't draw a new card if you've already drawn a card for that monster type this turn. They will act on the initiative value printed on the card. If their initiative value has already goneby in the turn order, they will act immediately after the player who opened the door.

edited September 2018
    Made a quick image for the side question above to get a better sense of it.
    Under the flame demon is a Hazardous Terrain lava tile.
    kp0sxfui3fa8.png

Archer has range 3 while we were still in the room below.

Riokenn on
    edited September 2018
    My understanding is, so long as there's a non-trapped path to eventually get in range to attack a player, monsters essentially treat all traps as impassable hexes. The movement of the triple-white monster to the right of the trap will depend on what its movement speed is this turn: if it's speed 3+, it'll spend three moves going through its allies and end up to the left of the trap, then continue through the door. If it's speed 2 or less, it's actually going to treat both of its allies as impassable as well, and start the long, long walk all the way up and around.

The triple-yellow monster that is up-right of the trap will go the long way around if it is exactly speed 1, otherwise it will move through the flame demon and the space to the left of the trap.

* - of course, if the monster has flight or jump, it will happily hop right over the trap

Fry on
    The flame demon has a hazardous lava tile underneath it. The Archer and Guard will still go thru that if it has enough movement?

The flame demon has a hazardous lava tile underneath it. The Archer and Guard will still go thru that if it has enough movement?

Only if they absolutely have to (or fly/jump).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited September 2018
    Well I meant for this instance. I don't think they have to since there is a clear path above. But @Fry is telling me they will cross the hazardous lava tile for 1 damage if they have enough movement to reach the empty hex on the other side.

Riokenn on