As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Play [SPELUNKY 2] With Us Every Day Until You Die | kill a mole with a rock

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It's especially easy to do if you're in the ice caves with a jetpack and/or climbing gloves

Free money!

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That explains some of the runs I've watched, thanks

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's probably best to start off with the jetpack as that's the safest method of avoiding the ghost.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I killed the ghost in yesterday's daily

That was an amazing feeling

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Reviving this thread because apparently Spelunky 2 is playable at PAX this weekend. Anyone have the opportunity to give it a shot?

Oh my goodness, there's a lot going on there.

But I'm happy to see almost PixelJunk Shooter levels of fluid dynamics in this one. Very cool.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I guess they couldn't let La Mulana upstage them.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    PS4 and steam right? Right?

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    PS4 and steam right? Right?

I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't get a PC release.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'd hope any exclusivity, if there is any, is minimal at best,

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I loved Spelunky on my Vita but the console has just been pretty much replaced by my Switch now.

I'd kill (ok, not kill. Maim? Punch? Gently prod?) for a Switch port or for the sequel. Alternatively I want the PS4 or Xbox One to be able to 'pause' more than on active game at a time. Quitting a frozen game just to play the daily is a pain.

Basically I'm tremendously lazy.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    I feel like Derek Yu/Mossmouth are smart enough to read the room and we'll have Spelunky 2 on Switch someday. But I don't think I'm willing to wait for that day, so double dipping it is.

steam_sig.png

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah they definitely said "coming first to PS4 and Steam", so there's basically a 0% chance it doesn't come to Switch eventually.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    hey spelunky 2 is out tomorrow. im pretty excited about it! i never got good at the first one, but i did play it quite a bit way back whenever it came out.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Oh no my dying repeatedly needs are still being serviced by hollow knight. I had no idea they were even making a sequel.

38thDoE on steam

Going full media blackout until I can play Spelunky 2

It's awful that the embargo went up today

steam_sig.png

Going full media blackout until I can play Spelunky 2

It's awful that the embargo went up today

Spoilers it's more spelunky

I'll be buying this on Steam when it comes out at the end of the month. Looking forward to it.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yup, this is about how I remember my time with the first game going:

j9i7aNF.jpg

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    At least it doesn't have the motivational deaths X,000 won 0 ratio on the death screen.

38thDoE on steam

edited September 2020
    I've played about four hours(!) so far. Non-spoilery thoughts:
    • While the default movement being run makes sense, my muscle memory forbade it, so I flipped back to classic movement and controls
    • The game still looks brilliant, with more detail on all of the enemies and items

Spoilers for new items and enemies:
    • There are enemies which do more than just take health now - there are scorpions which poison you and do damage over time, which can be removed by getting a pet to the end of a level, and a witch doctor who curses you - I think it reduces your health to 1 and stops pets being able to heal you
    • Speaking of which, the damsel and dudesel have been replaced by a cat and a hamster
    • There are mounts, which appeared in the trailer, and they can double jump and attack for you. Also if a turkey gets hit by a fire attack then it gets turned into a health item. The axolotl is adorable and traps enemies in bubbles
    • Tribespeople can now have shields
    • There's a wearable teleporter which has killed me in classic "teleport into a wall" fashion, and bow weapons. The arrows form platforms you can use to get to inaccessible ledges, but then you have to find another arrow
    • There's a backpack which upgrades your whip to a flame whip
    • Gambling shops now have throwable dice. Do not throw the dice out of the shop
    • The Eye of Thingy is still in the game, but I haven't unlocked the path that uses it yet as I've been using shortcuts to see as much of the new stuff as possible

Spoilers for progress:
    So far I've got down past Olmec (who appears after the second area now and doesn't spawn monsters so is easier to take out slowly) and into the Chinese-inspired temple / Central American temple. Those are two separate areas - so far, it's gone Caverns, Jungle / Volcano, China / Central America. It looks like to unlock the shortcuts you need to bring items from each area; for example, to unlock China, I had to bring forward a mount from the Volcano and a weapon from the Jungle. It would be possible to stick to one path and still get those items, but some items are easier to find in different areas.

Rhesus Positive on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I want to click those spoilers so badly!

Must. Remain. Strong!

I can feel the Spelunky Fever coming on, hard. The PC port needs to get here ASAP.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    After my first session I had a load of Trophies that around 1% of the player base had achieved

When I last left it, most were up to around 3%

I liked seeing Super Rare next to a load of them...

I have to wait until my wife comes home before I’m allowed to play. The original Spelunky HD was damn near a perfect game. I played it so much I was in the top 100 average scorers IIRC.

Excited to dig in.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I have to wait until my wife comes home before I’m allowed to play. The original Spelunky HD was damn near a perfect game. I played it so much I was in the top 100 average scorers IIRC.

Excited to dig in.

Yeah, my wife loves watching me play Spelunky so our evening is going to revolve around eating pizza and playing.

Probably our next several evenings, if I'm being honest.

My wife will often spring it on me during the evening. β€œWill you Spelunk for me?” And I’ll happily oblige her. She always gets cutely nervous when I’m ghosting gems and it’s a risky maneuver.

It’s going to be so weird not knowing everything about this one.

I'm resisting the urge to Google everything

I've learned one thing so far: fuck these moles right to hell.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    While I don't want any spoilers for items and enemies and stuff I'd love it if someone could explain how online coop works. Feel free to put it behind spoilers.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    The date spread on this page is insane. This game has been a big part of my life for many years now.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The date spread on this page is insane. This game has been a big part of my life for many years now.

Because Spelunky is one of those games that gets better the more you play it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

Yeah, I've moved to a different state three times since this thread was created!

I've gone ahead and spoiled myself on some of the stuff in this game by watching Giant Bomb's and Patrick Klepek's videos, but I haven't seen anything past the first 4 stages yet.

My experience thus far has definitely jibed with my remembered Spelunky 1 experiences... Ie I'm just getting shredded over and over and over. Fun though.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Anyone getting "error installing game" on the ps4 pro with this? It gives me no other info but that.

Okay I have a couple of runs under my belt now

Notes:

-the moles can lick my genitals

-I had to program the control scheme to what it was in Spelunky, I have something ridiculous like 5000 hours in the original and asking me to learn a new control scheme is hahahahaha no not happening

-I miss the robbing shopkeeper whip trick :(

burbo wrote: Β»
    Anyone getting "error installing game" on the ps4 pro with this? It gives me no other info but that.

Yep - there's a system update that you need to install first

At least, that was the issue that I had, and it fixed it

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    For new players, "SPIKE SHOES" don't do what you think they do. Thought my game was bugged. Also (re: Turkeys):
    can cook the Turkeys for health. . .

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I've just checked my stats - taking my average run time and number of deaths, I've already clocked in over six hours of play

That's, like, a fifth of my time since buying the game, and I went out last night