As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Basically.

Alicia+Awaken Potential+Defense Boost+Damage Boost(for tanks) was the big cheese tactic in VC1.

Dragkonias on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Intercepting fire was actually broken in the first game. You could completely stop it by fucking with the controls unless the enemy was staring straight at you.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Getting the gun from the Scout Challenge DLC made scouts even more overpowered.
    I had an unboosted Alicia killing tanks with that thing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I finished the VC4 demo and I am totally in. It felt good to be back after a few years, but Scouts are still ridiculously good, and that's OK in my book. Chapter 2's mission threw me for a bit of a loop; I could've shaved a few turns off if I had known you couldn't damage the tanks in the second half. Good stuff though.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm still wondering how grenadiers aren't going to be the most broken unit in the game. Amazing range, can kill multiple units if they're bunched up close enough, and will intercept bombard anything in their range.

And then I played the bonus mission, which confirmed they're going to be the most fucking annoyingest enemy on the field by far.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    okay went and saw some video on alicia runs and that is rather nutty. intercept fire did nothing, auto heal, double move geez. I don't think i unlock half those potentials. I also been youtubing VC3 story wanted to see if there was more info I need to know in the lead up. So far pretty standard story. Also it is pointed out darcen aren't allowed a last name. This makes Isara Gunther much more heart warming.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I recall the Alicia cheese is not really possible until a plot point.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I recall the Alicia cheese is not really possible until a plot point.

Correct, her final potential is unlocked by plot things. And it's essential to the cheese.
    The cheese is also actually kind of accurate, for plot reasons.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Man did I miss something or did the Chapter 2 demo mission not make any sense?
    The mission was to identify the real tanks to tell your artillery the location so they could blow them up. You lose radio connection with them so you decide to use the clock towers to give them the info. I was assuming it was going to be some coordinates or some such but then it's the same number for each tower? Ok I say, how is this telling them where the tanks are? I proceed quite interested in what the explanation is. And the number is just.. a date that the girl recognizes? What? How does that identify the tanks and their locations? The only 3 clock towers all show the same number that is a date she knows and now she can target all the real tanks...?

DemonStacey on
    The mission was to identify the real tanks to tell you're artillery the location so they could blow them. You lose radio connection with them so you decide to use the clock towers to give them the info. I was assuming it was going to be some coordinates or some such but then it's the same number for each tower? Ok I say, how is this telling them where the tanks are? I proceed quite interested in what the explanation is. And the number is just.. a date that the girl recognizes? What? How does that identify the tanks and their locations? The only 3 clock towers all show the same number that is a date she knows and now she can target all the real tanks...?
    Maybe it's the land of a thousand clocktowers, so you can use them as coordinates.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    The mission was to identify the real tanks to tell your artillery the location so they could blow them up. You lose radio connection with them so you decide to use the clock towers to give them the info. I was assuming it was going to be some coordinates or some such but then it's the same number for each tower? Ok I say, how is this telling them where the tanks are? I proceed quite interested in what the explanation is. And the number is just.. a date that the girl recognizes? What? How does that identify the tanks and their locations? The only 3 clock towers all show the same number that is a date she knows and now she can target all the real tanks...?

anime

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

anime

Yea that's what I figured. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something before I blamed it on that. Normally the nonsense would at least wait until the plot becomes so convoluted that it just *can't* make sense any more.

But man right out the gate doesn't say great things about the writing here. Like man they could have written that however they wanted to get that plot point out or have that makes sense and they just went "Nah, it doesn't matter".

The mission was to identify the real tanks to tell you're artillery the location so they could blow them. You lose radio connection with them so you decide to use the clock towers to give them the info. I was assuming it was going to be some coordinates or some such but then it's the same number for each tower? Ok I say, how is this telling them where the tanks are? I proceed quite interested in what the explanation is. And the number is just.. a date that the girl recognizes? What? How does that identify the tanks and their locations? The only 3 clock towers all show the same number that is a date she knows and now she can target all the real tanks...?

I think the theory is thus:
    All the tank locations was already a known thing. The job was to simply figure out which ones were fake so as not to waste ammunition. And all the real tanks were... "near" the clock towers (they kind of weren't, but it's the only way this makes sense). So they do the thing with the clock towers, and that lets them know that it's the tanks near the towers that are the ones they have to focus on.

I dunno, at best the tower plan is "This is *me* ringing the tower", and without any other input, the only logical plan is to fire around the tower. Just that if you look at the actual game map, the tanks aren't exactly near them. More near a radius around them if you wanna be generous.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm a little late to the party in playing the demo, but now I wish that I waited longer. The gap between now and the release of the full game is going to be torture.

Played the demo on Switch just to see if it would be fine. If there were major issues I might get it for PS4 instead, but it seems good. Only complaint is the godawful D-Pad on the pro controller, but that's theoretically fixable if I was inclined, and not the fault of the game.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Finally started the demo. Loving it, but question about the new class:
    In the mission you get Grenadiers, there's a bunch of artillery for her to take out. But I can't get her to one shot things, despite that being the likely prediction on the targetting screen.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    In the mission you get Grenadiers, there's a bunch of artillery for her to take out. But I can't get her to one shot things, despite that being the likely prediction on the targetting screen.
    I had the same problem.
    It really seemed like a bug, or else there's some factor that's reducing her damage that I wasn't aware of. For me, it fixed itself for the last artillery, by which I mean the prediction correctly told me that it would take two shots.

I think the theory is thus:
    All the tank locations was already a known thing. The job was to simply figure out which ones were fake so as not to waste ammunition. And all the real tanks were... "near" the clock towers (they kind of weren't, but it's the only way this makes sense). So they do the thing with the clock towers, and that lets them know that it's the tanks near the towers that are the ones they have to focus on.

I dunno, at best the tower plan is "This is *me* ringing the tower", and without any other input, the only logical plan is to fire around the tower. Just that if you look at the actual game map, the tanks aren't exactly near them. More near a radius around them if you wanna be generous.
    Incidentally, identifying even one friendly clocktower enables coded communication.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I had the same problem.
    It really seemed like a bug, or else there's some factor that's reducing her damage that I wasn't aware of. For me, it fixed itself for the last artillery, by which I mean the prediction correctly told me that it would take two shots.
    My guess was it was 1 shot 1 kill for a head shot, but they're way too inaccurate to actually get them.

I had the same problem.
    My guess was it was 1 shot 1 kill for a head shot, but they're way too inaccurate to actually get them.

The targeting line turns red when it is directly on top of them. I did that mission twice and both times was able to one-shot 3 of them and was unable to one-shot the same 4th one in the back corner but I don't think I could get that one right on top anyway.

Also I actually decided to drop my pre-order on this. I was looking forward to it but after the demo I'm feeling kind of meh. Especially after realizing it takes place during/before the first game.

The gameplay itself is super fun. But the scoring drove me crazy in the first game and by giving it a bigger purpose this time just made it that much worse. And upon realizing it takes place during/before the first game it means the overall conclusion of the most of what is happening is already known. I generally just don't enjoy prequels because of that. Plus the already questionable writing didn't help.

There's a reason to A-rank?

• FryFry Registered User regular
    I had the same problem.

Continued talk about the new class:
    I think the mortar shots have a chance to randomly drift, same as bullets do. So that's probably why you don't always get the one-shot kill. But I got it most of the time. As a general rule, if my active character isn't taking fire, I try to "feel around" with the exact position of the targeting reticle to make sure my aim is "in the center" of the kill zone, so if I roll a small amount of drift in any direction, it still hits the sweet spot. Still seems to work for mortars, though it's slightly more awkward than it is for guns.

Since I didn't realize I was going to be getting a mortar, I actually took out the first emplacement on the right with a shot from my tank's main gun. *FLEX*

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

I believe you get accessories that'll give your units a boost. I think i got a cap that gave extra HP and another one during the demo.

steam_sig.png
    PLA wrote: »

More Xp, More Money and the addition for VC4 was adding an accessory slot. And almost all the accessories come from A ranking missions.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So the first Valkyria Chronicles is coming to the Switch in the West on October 16th for $20.

https://www.gameinformer.com/pax-2018/2018/09/01/valkyria-chronicles-is-coming-to-switch

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Made it to the end of the VC4 demo. It wasn't enough! Day one purchase, if I can figure out the best way to do so.

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Had to drive to a few different stores to get it (apparently, Target isn't carrying this game at all, just like Dragon Quest XI) and Best Buy only had the Memoirs From Battle Edition. I guess I should have just ordered it from Amazon.

On the plus side, now I have a tank!

edited September 2018
    Amazon told me October 5th, which is annoying.

silence1186 on
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    Had to drive to a few different stores to get it (apparently, Target isn't carrying this game at all, just like Dragon Quest XI) and Best Buy only had the Memoirs From Battle Edition. I guess I should have just ordered it from Amazon.

On the plus side, now I have a tank!

My tank is on the way by ups. Can’t wait to get home.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I can't buy it from the PSN Store?
    I go to the page, and the buy option is just missing and the description text is still talking about pre-ordering.
    I want to play my anime war!

edit: Oh, it sent me to the pre-order page and stuck the actual game page way down the search, that's good design.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    I can't buy it from the PSN Store?
    I go to the page, and the buy option is just missing and the description text is still talking about pre-ordering.
    I want to play my anime war!

Clear your cache maybe? It works fine for me.

I preordered it and played a bit when it unlocked. Fair warning if you played the demo. You can load your demo save and everything works hunky dory. But the demo was just the opening of the game. An opening they frontloaded with some gameplay, y'know so you get into the action right quick. It means when you load that save up, you're gonna be bombarded with quite a few cutscenes. Just enough that I was starting to get antsy about doing some actual fighting.

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    So, I enjoyed the first game right up until the bullshit chapter 7 mission. That combined with the whole lady with the magic shield and lance kinda killed the vibe for me and I put the game down. I'm interested in 4, just waiting to see how much of that stuff is in this game.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Metallikat wrote: »
    So, I enjoyed the first game right up until the bullshit chapter 7 mission. That combined with the whole lady with the magic shield and lance kinda killed the vibe for me and I put the game down. I'm interested in 4, just waiting to see how much of that stuff is in this game.

Well. . . since "Valkyria" is right there in the title I think you may be disappointed. It's kinda a core part of the world.

edit- VC1 lore spoilers

The Myth,
    The Valkyrur (magical warrior women) fought and won against the evil Darcsens whose magic destroyed the world.

(technically VC is post-apoc. Though, like, couple thousand years after the fact).

The Reality,
    The Valkyrur were evil, Darcsens were good.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    VC4 Chapter 1
    Hmmmm...so Squad E are Gallian volunteers that join the Federation war effort prior to the events of VC1. Are they going to retcon that this Hail Mary operation contributed in some indirect way with Gallia's success?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited September 2018
    VC4 Chapter 1
    Hmmmm...so Squad E are Gallian volunteers that join the Federation war effort prior to the events of VC1. Are they going to retcon that this Hail Mary operation contributed in some indirect way with Gallia's success?
    Gallia was only ever part of the front, but there were reasons certain people in the empire were very interested.

Going to be interesting to see how it handles that though - the majority of the empire's major commanders got killed off by Welkin's forces near the end.

One thing to note is that since you're playing Federation forces, that can explain the lack of knowledge between sides nicely. Especially given how VC1 unfolds there.

Polaritie on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    VC4 Chapter 1
    Gallia was only ever part of the front, but there were reasons certain people in the empire were very interested.

Going to be interesting to see how it handles that though - the majority of the empire's major commanders got killed off by Welkin's forces near the end.
    Hah! You complete a random mission and the next cutscene: "Hey guys! Fantastic news! The war is over, we can all go home!", roll credits.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    VC4 Chapter 1

Hah! You complete a random mission and the next cutscene: "Hey guys! Fantastic news! The war is over, we can all go home!", roll credits.
    Well, the war in Gallia, though it definitely breaks the back of the imperial military to lose what it does there.
    Let's see...
    Their four main generals (gotta love JP and the number four, eh?)
    Their prince.
    A massive super tank.
    An even bigger land dreadnought with prototype artificial valkyrur tech.
    And of course Selvaria, who was worth more than the rest of that put together in combat power. Though admittedly THIS one is entirely on Alicia leveling the playing field by plothax.

It's not implausible for there to be plenty of rank and file grunts elsewhere and a few more secret weapons in reserve (like the main thing we all see in the trailers), but...

onwoitj5k97a.jpeg

Ok now to disappear from the world for the next few weeks. I wish.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    What's your name solider?

Miles, sir.

No. Its Mills now. That's how I saw it the first time I saw your name, you look like a Mills. You're no Isara that's for sure, so you are Mills.

... ... Dammit...

also, BeeTeeDubs. I much prefer the motar units now. Its an actual mortar system and not just a propelled grenade on a stick that some grunt holds in the air.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Amazon told me October 5th, which is annoying.

Yeah. I preordered this a while back from them and it didn't ship today.

Demo's very fun. During Chapter 2's last turn it took Kai six shots to take down the enemy ace (miss high, miss high, dodge, miss low into his chest, dodge, dodge, second shot into chest). I had to re-up her ammo twice.

Of course when I go back and get the A rank she's a machine who can't be stopped.

VC4 Chapter 1

One thing to note is that since you're playing Federation forces, that can explain the lack of knowledge between sides nicely. Especially given how VC1 unfolds there.
    Thinking about it some, I suppose Squad 7 taking out the Prince could cause enough turmoil for this decapitation attack to succeed.

Game mechanics after finishing chapter 1:
    Imperial mortar units a counter to scout rushing cheese?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png