As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if you can play the campaigns using archon mode?

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can play the campaigns using archon mode?

i don't believe so. i think archon is strictly for multiplayer modes, but don't quote me on that

unrelated: it is fun when your coop teammate decides FUCK IT WE CANT WIN and leaves at the first objective. still crushed it but that was annoying

• Options
    edited August 2018
    it seems weird but i think co-op has some serious strategic balance issues. for example, i primarily play as stukov and dehaka. they have so many essentially worthless units. they have niches don't get me wrong, but why would i bother using primal combat to evolve roaches into anything but guardians? at what point do i actually want queens or even banshees as stukov? i've been trying to make several mech options work as stukov and the only one that sometimes works is diamondbacks. the slime is great! the issue is they can't shoot up and airborne hybrid as catastrophic. the other mech options are pretty fragile and require a frontline of infested which if that's the case why don't i just plop down a bazillion bunkers and go to town?

dehaka, not unlike stukov, can have gas troubles if you go for anything but mutas. sounds weird right? well mutas are exceptionally difficult to kill once you get them upgraded so the gas investment is worthwhile. guardians are also strong since you can eradicate things in the blink of an eye. however if you bother with swam hosts you likely are to have a bad time. mobility is often too important. similarly dehaka's t-rex units (whatever they are called) are fun except it requires 2 ultras to make 1 of them and even in co-op that's a big ask. i do really like going mass worms with dehaka though

granted these strategies are probably just simply for the challenge of balancing them vs cooldowns but i don't think i'd ever attempt them in a mutator. i really wish they would make the competitive 1v1 co-op something you could do all the time. it sure as fuck wouldn't be balanced but it was fun.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Gumiho vs. Dark, Gumiho walls with his ebays and they get destroyed in an early attack by dark so he just goes, oh well I'll mech instead. kills a bunch of drones with a hellion counter-attack and eventually rolls dark over with his mech. sick moves.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    i've come to really enjoy playing zagara. there's something nice about units splitting into new units and just being able to remax nearly instantly. balancing her AA can be difficult because i just want a billion zerglings and it can be weird to be floating over 10k minerals and 10k gas because you don't actually make more units past a certain point but whatever

spoilers for that starcraft book
    i am actually really interested to see where blizzard takes the swarm. abathur clearly is not happy with how zagara runs things and is feeding into the internal civil war/strife that blizzard always has within factions. i mena he attempted a coup. maybe more interesting is if SC3 has zagara take a more flora route with the swarm as is implied by the adostra whereas abathur's version is leaning even further into the predator aspect of fauna.

edit: holy shit, are the fucknig co-op maps weighted or something? i feel like 50%-75% of the time ig e tthe 30 minute defend map

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    OH SHIT MY BOY TYCHUS IS BACK (or finally showed up) FOR CO-OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEh5D0avLA

real talk. give me a way to fucknig thumbs down co-op maps. temple of the past AGAIN!

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    is anyone familiar with the custom map "direct strike"? i found it on the coop reddit and apparently it offers competitive coop? i don't really know at this point what a "premium" map is but it has that as a feature?

edit: nevermind it is nothing like that. it is more of a tower defense that just happens to allow for commander units

edit 2: may stream some co-op a little later on today if people care.

Going live in a couple minutes

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You guys what if Neeb wins GSL

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

would he be the best foreigner over serral?

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

but also what if Maru wins his third GSL of the year

he's already probably on the greatest run ever, all while Serral does the same thing in EU. insane.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Man, it's been over a year since Starcraft Remastered was launched and they still don't have ranked team games...This is taking way too long.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    oh shit, tychus is today? i have work to do tonight! gonna try to stream him some when i get the opportunity

• Options
    seriously tychus is a lot of fun. to me it feels much more warcraft 3 than SC because you ultimately have at most 5 units (aside from workers) and they all do stuff

• Options
    Apparently there was another registration clusterfuck for wcs?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Balance talk!

https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/22372713

Battlecruisers shooting while moving!

• Options
    There were several interesting balance updates

• Options
    Oh my god, turret tracking on Colossi

• Options
    the finals are on, maru vs. ty

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The new ranking system for Brood War has got me to finally put on my big boy pants and start playing Ranked.

I'm, uh, super bad at this game! But at least E League ain't F League!

• Options
    The new ranking system for Brood War has got me to finally put on my big boy pants and start playing Ranked.

Isn't EVERYONE super bad at that game?

• Options

Isn't EVERYONE super bad at that game?

Oh yeah, everyone I played in my placement matches was terrible. Just much less terrible than me. :P

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Oh god.... just thinking about playing ranked makes my non-existant carpal tunnel flare up agian

If I did I'd HAVE to go Zerg.... I don't think my heart could take a betrayal such as any other race...

I imagine zerg is still the "beautiful" race where 300 APM is mandatory for even the smallest of macro requirements?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Oh god.... just thinking about playing ranked makes my non-existant carpal tunnel flare up agian

If I did I'd HAVE to go Zerg.... I don't think my heart could take a betrayal such as any other race...

I imagine zerg is still the "beautiful" race where 300 APM is mandatory for even the smallest of macro requirements?

For sure. Zerg has always been my race, too, and I do not rock the chops necessary to maintain my macro. My slick 60-70 APM just ain't cuttin' it.

But you know, that's actually the benefit of playing Ranked. If all goes according to plan, you get matched up with other losers who are terrible, and you can take your mind off of how much worse you are than the pros and focus more on the fun of the game. It's nice to think of it less like your placement is a judgement of your skill, and more like a helpful sorting system to get you the best games possible.

• Options
    That brings me to an oldie but damn goodie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrdXTjKWiWE

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    id387v5leb1x.png

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Wtf...

Their union was like a beacon of light for us nerds...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I sort of always felt like they didn't have super strong cohesion as a couple? I dunno. I can't articulate it at all but I always had the gut feeling of "this ends in divorce" for them.

• Options
    I mean, maybe, but we only really saw their public faces aside from some stuff they'd show from the EG house.

Oh god now i remember machine being in that house for like 2 years and wondering why since he peaked in like the first 3 months of the game.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »

Oh god now i remember machine being in that house for like 2 years and wondering why since he peaked in like the first 3 months of the game.

well my understanding is he was their training partner. so he was solid enough and could execute builds that they wanted to practice against. maybe his failing was he couldnt adapt in game? not really sure

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Yeah I guess he was on the B team like they do in korean houses.

B teamers lived and practiced in the house but were exclusively to help the A team train. B-teamers aren't allowed to play in tournaments at all under Kespa iirc.

Then Blizz opened all regions globally and some B teamers came over to make waves, with one winning the very first NASL. iNcontrol was part of those NASL beginnings.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Oh man, I remember NASL, and IGNPL, etc etc...

Early SCII eSports were so weird and formative for communities outside of East Asia.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    I certainly don't know anything but based on following both of em on social media I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't have a lot of time together, literally seem to be in different places pretty often. gotta be hard to maintain a relationship when that's the case. she works for twitch I think (at least, I saw she's done something with the PA guys recently via twitch) and he works more or less for blizz and also for warhammer (whatever that company is called)...

but yeah, that first NASL I remember watching that and chatting with you guys while I was on vacation in Disney World hahaha. Back when there was a tourney virtually every weekend.

honestly, I'll trade that for having a balance of SC2 and BW that we have right now, it's very cool. just worried about sc2 dying off more and more... BW doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    I certainly don't know anything but based on following both of em on social media I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't have a lot of time together, literally seem to be in different places pretty often. gotta be hard to maintain a relationship when that's the case. she works for twitch I think (at least, I saw she's done something with the PA guys recently via twitch) and he works more or less for blizz and also for warhammer (whatever that company is called)...

but yeah, that first NASL I remember watching that and chatting with you guys while I was on vacation in Disney World hahaha. Back when there was a tourney virtually every weekend.

honestly, I'll trade that for having a balance of SC2 and BW that we have right now, it's very cool. just worried about sc2 dying off more and more... BW doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

i wouldn't worry about SC2 dying. it has been growing if anything in a number of ways. while i also miss the days when there was an event literally every day apparently that was over saturating things hence the pull back.

• Options
    oh yteah I don't mind having less than that level, and I don't even mean my fear is evidence based... I just enjoy it so much that I've been worried about it going away for years haha.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    oh yteah I don't mind having less than that level, and I don't even mean my fear is evidence based... I just enjoy it so much that I've been worried about it going away for years haha.

SCII seems kind of like the Tennis of eSports. It's no where near the super bowl, but it's got a stable niche.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    It has been growing (free to play kinda does that) in viewership. Although my understanding is that a lot of people in high places love Starcraft so it doesn't have as tough a climb as other games

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Incontrol may be under more pressure than the players coming up with this wild as fuck lines has to be tough

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Incontrol may be understanding remote pressure to than the players coming up with this wild as fuck lines has to be tough

wat