As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flinthook] Getting hooked on Pirates!

Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike!Registered User regular
edited April 2017 in Games and Technology
34v9dFc.png
In a galaxy filled with scoundrels and miscreants, everyone seeks treasure and riches!
But when a malevolent treasure hunter hatches a sinister plan to unleash an ancient evil to threaten the cosmos itself, Flinthook, the galaxy's smallest but toughest pirate zips into action!
Be ready to jump, zip and blast around the meanest fleets the galaxy has to offer!
Whether using time-slowing powers or his trusty Blasma Pistol, Flinthook is ready to take on all pirates, steal treasure and save the galaxy itself!

Introduction
Flinthook, just released by Tribute Games, is a Roguelike 2D platforming type game for PS4 / XBOne / Steam where you raid randomized Space Pirate ships for loot, all toward finding your next bounty.

Don't have time for word shenanigans? Neither does Flinthook most of the time! It does such a good job of showing you everything you need to know, just like this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUll13C9NQI

Gameplay
Ever played those platforming games that give you a hookshot, or something similar? What about the ones that let you slow down time to get through those hard to deal with platforming elements? Well, now you get to do both! Oh and also you get to jump n shoot. You do all of this in what usually amounts to one screen square rooms, or long vertical or horizontal rectangular rooms.

Sometimes you will need to navigate past dangerous traps such as spikes, lazers, cannons, bouncers, all the classic stuff.
cn5TR46.gif

And others, you will have to engage in battle with the other space pirates in your way.
WTemUrq.gif

Oh yeah but, sometimes you just do both. It happens.

Why You Should Play
Because well, the game is just downright fun. It is challenging but never feels unfair. Similar games such as Rogue Legacy or maybe even Enter the Gungeon used similar ideas from different angles. Both could be brutally unfair and sometimes you felt like it was more luck that you got further than anything else. I like to think of it this way - a game like Rogue Legacy was a roguelike that lumped platforming on top of it. Flinthook feels like a platformer that adds in roguelike elements that keep things fresh.

But I wanted a thread here so we could maybe get all friended up and compare those scores and times. The game scores you when you complete a run (which is a number of ships then the boss fight) as well as tells you your time. Then you can view how others have done. Friendly compition!

Also there are daily and weekly challenges. They score and time you as well! Sounds like a nice ongoing thing.

Also discussion on the games customization! What loadouts are you taking a liking to? What subweapon is your fave? Do you even use them (I know I am guilty of saving them forever).

And this is like the first OP I have done in a long time and like the second one ever, so if there is more info you think I could get, let me know. I can and will update!
qOFTvh9.gif

Kai_San on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    this game is too hard and I suck at it and I love it

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh my gosh I totally also forgot to thank @21stCentury for the giveaway on the steam thread, which is the only reason I was able to play and fall in love with this game :+1:

If you are on the PC version, I could not fathom playing without a controller. However, once you do it controls so well.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Everything about this game is top quality. Audio, visuals, gameplay, it all is excellent. It's kicking my ass tho.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, if you also have Mercenary Kings, after you buy Flinthook, you get a VERY special knife in MK.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Just a heads up, if you also have Mercenary Kings, after you buy Flinthook, you get a VERY special knife in MK.

What? I thought that the Merc Kings knife thing was DLC or something.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

What? I thought that the Merc Kings knife thing was DLC or something.

I got it free! It just popped up when I started the game and it's really good.

• Options
    Also this game's intro music is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZRdkasl67Y

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Been humming this music all over the place. The intro music cannot get out of my head.

• Options
    YES! First bounty down. Took two tries, still figuring out all the items in stores and whatnot, but I have the basic mechanics down. Flying from hook to hook is so satisfying.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Holy hell this game looks good.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Holy hell this game looks good.

It's like Metroid and Mega Man had a baby, and the baby had its own award-winning-worthy soundtrack following it wherever it goes.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I think I saw one of their devs post that they are looking into making it so that you can do custom keybinds?

Which I am psyched for if only so I can disable W as a jump key. I want to use space bar exclusively so my brain stops making me hit both keys awkwardly when I want to jump.

• Options
    I never even thought about the fact you can't customize keybindings. I just picked up my controller I have in my PC and went with it. That is kind of a bummer that it isn't an option yet.

Also I saw one of the top scores for the second boss run was some absurd number, so that kind of sucks. I hope they can't muff up the times though.

I have been trying to load up on the perks that benefit you with high combo counts. Especially that crit equals your combo number one. I don't have it permanently yet, but man is that super strong.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpiSQThIrh0&t=0s

I think the Giantbomb Quicklook really sold me on the game since it lays out everything really fairly and gives a better idea of what you do exactly.

I don't have much to add beyond that. Im stuck on the second boss and I hate him. I got a really lucky pogo ability one run and that's the closest Ive come to beating him.

I have more fun exploring the levels than I do fighting the bosses.

• Options
    Then do the daily challenge! Granted, you only get one run a day, but there is no boss at all. Basically running through 3 ships to try and get a high score or best time (or not and just get some exp).

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    This would be a perfect handheld title, if it comes to vita or switch I think it would devour my life.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Oh my gosh I totally also forgot to thank @21stCentury for the giveaway on the steam thread, which is the only reason I was able to play and fall in love with this game :+1:

If you are on the PC version, I could not fathom playing without a controller. However, once you do it controls so well.

Playing this with a controller seems insane. Move and shoot on the same stick? Might as well just jump in a pit of spikes and die at that point.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »

Playing this with a controller seems insane. Move and shoot on the same stick? Might as well just jump in a pit of spikes and die at that point.

Moving and shooting on the same stick is how a good 85% of platformers work so I have no idea what you're going on about.

They shouldn't even bother to code KB&M controls for platformers; it's so sub par it's nuts.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »

The game is so much of a platformer, it is going to be extremely difficult to play in a mode that requires you to move and jump on the same hand.

The aim lock (which is a button you can hold to stop moving while shooting) in addition to the ability to slow time makes up for any aiming issues. Plus, the game isn't extremely demanding shooting wise.

I actually had downtime at work (from 5 to 9:30 I am alone and get few calls to work on). I have an old Imac I can do what I want with, so I threw this on it. But I don't have a controller, so I had to KBAM.

It is basically unplayable to me at a high level. The first issue is like I said, where you have to move and jump on the same hand. Jump is either space or W when using WASD for overall movement. Both are extremely difficult to use to jump in a precision environment. Now, you can alleviate a lot of jumping need since you can just hook everywhere. And with the ability to aim independent of moving, that should make up for it. Except a second issue comes up. The mouse doesn't move freely around the screen - it is locked to your character and you are just moving it around that. Actually, it gets locked to the middle of the screen, and moving the mouse moves the cursor around your character. This means you need to keep the mouse not moving a lot yet where it is moves. Like, the mouse could be on your right side, but you are on the left side of the screen. That puts it on the left side of the center even if just barely. If you move right, now the mouse is all the way on the right without moving it. That can cause some issues with your hand-eye coordination based on how you have always used a mouse.

I got to a room that had lots of moving boxes and spikes, but no hooks. I had full health. I died because I was literally trapped and could not do the jumping needed to get out because of the KBAM setup. It could improve slightly when they add keybinding customization, maybe.

Overall, the game just plays SO much nicer on a controller. You will get over the aiming issues early honestly. You learn to kind of accept them as the game and then it plays fine. Likely, it was balanced around controller use so in most cases they knew it was as such. That is how it seems to me.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The only roguelike I really enjoyed was Really Big Sky, in which every run felt like a glorious rampage. Isaac and Enter the Gungeon have so much content that I will never see because I can't make it to the "first last boss." I'm really enjoying Flinthook and find its difficulty perfectly reasonable.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Flinthook definitely gets pretty rough later on, but it is also technically short overall. Pretty sure the main game is only 4 bosses. There are plenty of extra ways to play it though, so it doesn't seem short. Also, they did a good job of making it have plenty of variety in the ships and the way they randomize things really does a good job of making even same rooms feel different in many ways.

It just like, always feels good to play. Losing never feels terrible. I just made it to the third boss for the third time, and got mostly destroyed but I spent most of the time trying to figure out the fight.

I hear after you finish the main game being a completionist can feel really grindy. But to me, I would only play when it was fun to play and stop when it wasn't. So it would never be a grind. I am ok with not getting everything if I stop wanting to.

• Options
    Managed to down the third boss now. Final challenge seems like no joke.

I also accidentally found some form of Dev Room? Didn't intend for that to happen, but having been avoiding looking up any kind of information on the game before I finish it, I am quite proud of finding a secret on my own.

I have taken a liking to equipping the perks that give you random perks when you start a set of ships. The 8 point and 4 point one. Basically makes every run a pretty unique experience, and sometimes you get a really sweet setup.

• Options
    Not sure how everyone else might be doing. Managed to finish the last boss fight and now there is some true ending I need to figure out. That last run though is a doozy but I got a positively superb set of perks throughout.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    On my laptop, if Steam Overlay is running Flinkhook crashes at the "this game uses autosave"
    But I can't use my steam controller without Steam Overlay.
    And I'm garbage with trackpad and keys.

:bigfrown:

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I haven't beaten the third boss yet. Made it to him a couple times but man his attack that shoots spikes onto all the hooks repeatedly really fucked me up. Really enjoying the game.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    That made me WTF till I realized you can safely walljump in his room. So when his machine goes all the way up, start walljumping near a few hooks and clear them out before continuing to hook around.

Also, that boss becomes super easy when you realize you can get one of the barrels right after he gets back in if you are quick. So after the first full phase, you can cut all future phases in half.

You should get really good at the bosses by the time you finish the third one. You... kind of have to
    The final boss is 12 ships in which you do 3 ships then one of the bosses in order, so basically a long slog of a boss rush. THEN you go to the final boss

Kai_San on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Getting back in to this. Still struggling with goldfeather but I made top 15 on the daily. Was wondering when the rollover was for that so I can check if I get bumped down. Or if there is a way to check past dailies.

Also I wanted to ask about cursed items. Since it seems like they make you weaker but only give you more xp? Has anyone gotten a bonus to something other than xp on a cursed item? Because if I don't care so much about xp it seems like I want to avoid them.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Getting back in to this. Still struggling with goldfeather but I made top 15 on the daily. Was wondering when the rollover was for that so I can check if I get bumped down. Or if there is a way to check past dailies.

Also I wanted to ask about cursed items. Since it seems like they make you weaker but only give you more xp? Has anyone gotten a bonus to something other than xp on a cursed item? Because if I don't care so much about xp it seems like I want to avoid them.

I think you need to have a curse to be able to get to go to some special ships during the selection screen.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Yea if you're cursed you have a random chance to go to a ghost ship. You also score more at the end I believe, if you're looking for leaderboard placement. At least I think you do?

Man I got Guu down to like 1 hit from death but still haven't taken him out. That tip on hitting a barrel early was real good stuff thanks! I've been replaying the first couple levels some to try to get the speed/score trophies and also grinding out some health upgrades. I'll beat this bastard one way or the other, either by upping my skill or upping my HP enough to overcome my lack thereof heh.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Yea if you're cursed you have a random chance to go to a ghost ship. You also score more at the end I believe, if you're looking for leaderboard placement. At least I think you do?

Man I got Guu down to like 1 hit from death but still haven't taken him out. That tip on hitting a barrel early was real good stuff thanks! I've been replaying the first couple levels some to try to get the speed/score trophies and also grinding out some health upgrades. I'll beat this bastard one way or the other, either by upping my skill or upping my HP enough to overcome my lack thereof heh.

Ghost ships aren't random.
    get 3 curses (chopping block counts as a curse) and the next ship will always be a ghost ship. No ghost ship for the first boss, though. Ghost ships don't drop ghost gems so they're basically a bonus ship and give you a HUGE boost to your final score.

• Options
    There should be a Ghost Ship for the first boss. I heard you have to do the one for the second boss first though or something?

They are not just for all that. You need to find and complete all 3 Ghost Ships to get the true ending. Which isn't all that much, but it is to encourage you to see all there is to see

• Options
    There should be a Ghost Ship for the first boss. I heard you have to do the one for the second boss first though or something?

They are not just for all that. You need to find and complete all 3 Ghost Ships to get the true ending. Which isn't all that much, but it is to encourage you to see all there is to see
    You can read the achievement "relics". There's one for Goldfeathers, Guu, and Gwarlock. None for Billy.

• Options
    Finally beat this last night! Honestly I was expecting the last bus to be way harder after the third boss, but he was pretty easy. Beat him the first time I made it to him.

Now I'm going to try to get the good ending and speedrun trophies I think. I seriously doubt I'm going to try to grind out all the trophies for the black market, relics, lore etc. Doesn't seem like a fun thing to do.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Duel Stick mode for controllers just dropped.

Ok tried it out. Pointing to shoot is great but jumping gets moved to the right bumper and hook is still the right trigger. So sacrificing shooting for mobility seems like a bad trade. Also I really don't understand why subweapon is on the left bumper when it could have stayed on Y. Would rather have jumping on the left bumper so I don't have to use the same finger for jump and hook.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Got my physical Flinthook Switch card in the mail the other day, and have been playing a lot. Pulled me away from Dead Cells, at least for now. So I'm resurrecting this thread. Discuss.