As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] Dungeon World - Fortress of the Ur-Mage: All is Lost (Ur-Mage Victory)

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    The Echo

0 weight

A seemingly empty bottle. Once unstoppered, the whispers of another plane resound once and fall silent. In the silence, the bearer learns in his soul the coming of one great danger and how he can avoid it. At any point after you use the Echo, you can ignore the results of any single die roll—yours or another player’s—and roll again. Once opened, the Echo is released and gone forever.

USED ON HALWYR

VayBJ4e.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The Ramrods

Lig made barely a step as the wave rushed past them and there was another click! yet onward they rushed.

Arngrim watched as Squibble’s body rapidly withered away, turning into a skeleton with the same shimmering qualities as the previous one.

https://youtu.be/ixOHxXMzq8c

He then turned to see if Halwyr would’ve able to save their comrade. Halwyr was standing there, a touch shell-shocked. They’d briefly seen a vision of themselves twisting into a statue of gold.

The eye opened and closed rapidly the single time. Lig had reached the other side of the room, but at what cost?
    @Roshyyk you have died. You may make new characters

https://youtu.be/mOgFS6AYoVc

The Grim Company

https://youtu.be/ojGDmCSRIhw

As the rest of you step in, you experience the same sensation of four hallways becoming one....

The Game of Kings

kfo89uwwxek9.jpeg

As you enter, you see three doors and 5 swirling portals lining the walls of the room. The doors are mithril embossed with a stylized letter M and the portals are open archways of inky blackness. The ceiling is like a giant crystal ball, made of convex glass and filled with whirling blue smoke. Carved axes, swords, spears, and maces made of alabaster and onyx hang crossed on the walls. As you walk into the room, 5 towering stone warriors step through the portals into room. Like a choir, their grinding voices raise in unison.

“Servants of the Ur-Mage shall ever serve the wise. Honor the Ur-Mage’s game and the way will be revealed to the prize. A rank of eight soldiers shall lead the attack. They march ever onward, never a step back.” What do you do?

The Jolly Rogers

Helter finds no trips or tricks as their party heads into the Fortress. They experience the wrenching sensation of their vision splitting into four before resolving into one....

The Devourer’s Door

https://youtu.be/5WrgY2O6xHE

M9stOvw.png

As you enter, you see the walls of this dark chamber are decorated with mosaics of devil’s faces cast in jade. Two statues of masked, hooded mages face each other near the center of the chamber. A great iron plate on the southern wall features a looming embossing of Death themselves, their arm extended into the room. What do you do, crusaders?

w32wVYs.png

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6 for nail biter

nail biter:
    2d6 10 [2d6=6, 4]

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The Jolly Rogers

Rhanfydd cocks his head to the side and examines the wizard statues with his keen elven senses, trying to size them up as objects. He pointedly does not approach the door or past the statues just yet.
    Note that The Smell of Sorcery lets me detect the closest magical thing within sight or smell regardless of the result.
    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Discern Realities.

Discern Realities:
    2d6+1 6 [2d6=4, 1]

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited September 2018
    The Ramrods Section is updated

The Jolly Rogers

Rhanfyyd wrinkled his nose. This entire place reeked of magic, the most foul coming from between the statues. In the gloom, the statues appeared to be look towards the doors to the west and east.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The RamRods

Durgon froze in place behind the statue he was using for cover as a wave blasted across the room. There was silence for a second, so he peaked around the statue. Lig was now close to the throne, but Squibble was nowhere to be seen. Instead, a skeleton was sitting on the throne where Squibble had been thrown, and given the halfling's disappearance....well that was now likely all that remained of their friend.

"No one move!" the Dwarf's voice boomed out. "Touching the seal triggers whatever the wave was, so no one step on it!". The dwarf pondered for a second on their next action. "Lig. The eye itself has to go. If we can't somehow disable it, smash the thing! Bash it with yer stick, or yer shield, I dun care, but we can't go anywhere until that damn thing stops working."

AustinP0027 on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The Jolly Rogers

"Stay clear of the area between the statues - something's going on there," Rhanfydd exhales slowly, with a grimace, "the whole place is enchanted, but that's probably not a surprise."

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Helter — Jolly Rogers

“Well, at least the statues look harmless,” Helter grins (they always are), “get it? Heh heh heh!”

Helter crouches and step towards the statue on the right, just a few feet from it.

“Do you suppose you get an arm torn off if you touch Death’s hand? Perhaps the Reaper’s to be paid in some fashion before we move on? Though I can’t say I’m inclined to.”

Inching closer, Helter taps the statue with his sickle.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2018
    The Jolly Rogers

There is no reaction from the statue. The arms cut off at the same points, just before the bent elbow. There are slight concaves in the ends. The statue was not defaced, but carved to look like this.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    The Jolly Rogers

"At a guess," Rhanfydd answers, cocking his head at the skeleton, "we'll need to find something to put in the hand before the door opens. So - left or right?"

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• RoshyykRoshyyk Registered User regular
    Team Ramrod | Krolax | L3 | Human Barbarian | HP 24/24 | AC 1 | XP 0 | DMG D10 | 22 Gold

Breaking through the fog, an enigma crests the hill. The crackling forcefield around the south gate fizzles out as the figure approaches. With a confident stride through the gate, the towering figure comes to a halt, with a giant serrated greatsword resting on his shoulder. Once the smoke and crackling comes to a halt, he peers at the aftermath of the tragic event that had just occurred. He listens to the dwarf shout to his comrades and, the goliath of a man, responds in an a low, gravelly, equally booming voice, "Looks like I found the right group! Should you join me on this journey, we will, without a doubt, succeed to the highest degree! What say you?!"

May I introduce Krolax, the Barbarian
    cdmstbh4c04y.jpg
    At nearly 7 feet tall, this hulk is sure to handle all of your tanking needs, but if there are people to gain power over, or riches to be gained, stay out of this behemoths way

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The Jolly Rogers

Ravas stands at the back of the group of adventurers. Covered head to toe in ornate armor, his arms crossed “Maybe we’re suppose to sever Death’s arm and attach the arm to one of the statues. And it’ll open a path to the east or west”

He smirks beneath the cloth mask covering the bottom half of his face
    “Death awaits you whatever path you take “

Egos on
    Team Ramrod

Durgon turns to the voice who joined them, a massive figure striding into the room. "I say get yer ass behind a statue and duck down. If this goes sideways, no sword is going to protect ya'".

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Helter — Jolly Rogers

“Let’s try something simple...”

Helter clings to the edge of the room, working their way to Death. They put a coin in the outstretched hand—then bolt back around to the rest of the party.

...At least, that’s the plan.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2018
    The Jolly Rogers

The bony hand grasped the coin, seemingly weighing it in it’s hand, waggling it’s fingers to make it clink and dance across it’s knuckles. It then flicked the coin, the metal piece flipping through the air until it plunged into one of the jade devil’s mouths, vanishing into the black of it’s maw.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Jolly Rogers

Alesire summons his magical might, preparing to replay the flow of time in case things go wrong.

"Be virtuous and no trap may come to fruition!"
    Geth roll 2d6+2 to catch Helter in a Time Loop

to catch Helter in a Time Loop:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=5, 1]

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Roshyyk wrote: »
    Team Ramrod | Krolax | L3 | Human Barbarian | HP 24/24 | AC 1 | XP 0 | DMG D10 | 22 Gold

Seeing the halfling start to mess with the eye, Krolax rushes to the left statue while grunting, "oh Shiiiii..."

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Team Ramrod
    Halwyr's hearing comes back and Squibble is gone.
    "What are we going to do!?"

Halwyr is shook completely.

The Jolly Rogers

Helter walks backwards to the arm, the back around the edge of the room.
    Helter — Jolly Rogers

“Let’s try something simple...”

Helter clings to the edge of the room, working their way to Death. They put a coin in the outstretched hand—then bolt back around to the rest of the party.

...At least, that’s the plan.

This process repeats several times, Helter pitching a dozen coins into hand, which shoots them into various mouths along the walls. The air in room grows more chill.

Hail Hydra
    Team Ramrod

Durgon takes a moment to examine the three statues in the room. “Lig, wait a moment.”

Before they rushed ahead, they should probably understand the room further around this eye trap itself.

• LaserFowlLaserFowl Registered User regular
    The Grim Company @Rezari @saber_of_black @Nips

Rat stares into the chessboard and takes a moment to assess the room; then gives a timid look at her companions.

Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Trap Expert with the Cautious advanced move.
    Order of my questions...depending on how well I do.
    1. Is there a trap here and if so what activates it?
    2. What does the trap do when activated?
    3. What else is hidden here?

Trap Expert with the Cautious advanced move:
    2d6+3 14 [2d6=5, 6]

The Ramrods

Durgon was able to tell the statues were of a human bard, a Halfling rogue, and a dwarf Paladin who was holding a horn in one hand and unfurled scroll in the other. Glittering Residuum dust hangs in the air around the throne. Squibble’s skeleton shimmers with the same light.

The Grim Company
    There does not appear to be a trap in this chamber
    You feel if you address the statues, something will happen
    The statues guard the portals, something of import must be hidden within

Hail Hydra
  • RezariRezari Registered User regular
    The Grim Company @LaserFowl @saber_of_black @Nips

"Hmm, I think we're meant to play a game of chess perhaps? though for the riddle's talk of pawns, there don't seem to be any on the board..."

• saber_of_blacksaber_of_black Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    "I think there are about to be four," He murmurs to Nimue, exhaling and taking a step forward onto the white square before him.

Also, Spouting Lore to confirm the figures correlate to a knight, bishop, queen, king, and rook, and any other Chessy realizations.

Geth, Roll 2d6

2d6 6 [2d6=5, 1]

saber_of_black on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Team Ramrod

Lig | L3 | Halfling Shape - Druid | HP 21/21 | DMG D6 | AR 2 on land

Lig arrives across the seal, at the foot of the throne and halts at durgon's request.
    He cautiously starts waving away the dust with his club.

"should I be wary of this stuff? Will it turn me to another damn statue?
    Who here would be familiar with it?"

Regardless of the dust.
    Plan is you folk somehow safely activate the trap, and I smash it while blocking the eye's charm with a shield (and protecting my noggin).

Give me a heads up before you do the thing"

Lig looks the throne over

VayBJ4e.png
    edited September 2018
    The Grim Company

Selgith wasn’t much of a chess player, such pursuits were for the philosophers and other navel gazers. His realm was one of action. So long as no pieces got to the other side of the board, he felt they would be safe.
    In clockwise order from the northwest piece, they are a black knight, white bishop, Black Queen, white king, and black pawn.

The Ramrods

Examining the throne, Lig made out a set of hinges along the back of the seat.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • zeframseezeframsee Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    [bThe Ramrods[/b]

“I grow tired of this throne and its repulsive eye!

“This silver keyed door mocks our suffering no longer!”

Brandishing a massive slab of iron, too big to be called a sword, Arngrim attempts to smash through the door with a silver key hole!

Geth, roll 2d6+3 to bend bars and lift gates

to bend bars and lift gates:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=4, 3]

zeframsee on
    edited September 2018
    The Ramrods

spend 3 hold:

It doesn’t take a very long time

Nothing of value is damaged

You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort

zeframsee on
    The Ramrods

Arngrim's bellow echoed through the chamber as he laid into the door. Despite being wrought of Mithril, the mechanism inside was not of such stern stuff after a few minutes of frenzied bashing, the door tinkled and rattled as it swung open. The Ramrods could proceed.

Hail Hydra
    edited September 2018
    Team Ramrod

"Haha! I'm up for a bit of smashing, myself!
    Glad we got that bit out of the way.
    Anyone wanna trigger this trap (from cover with everyone else in cover) so I can smash the eye?

Also someone should check on Halwyr, they are still pretty shook up it seems"

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    edited September 2018
    The Ramrods

The black swordsman, having recoved from his berserk frenzy, composes himself and, as the party prepares to again trigger the eye trap, steals into the now open mithril doorway...

zeframsee on

With a nod to the druid, Krolax begins to saw off the arm of the golden rogue with the serrated edge of his sword. Realizing that it's pure gold, he takes a moment to separate the hand, holding the blade, from the arm and stores it in his pack. Holding the remaining arm in his hand, Krolax spouts, "Ready yourselves. Let's end this!" He tosses the limb to land on the trigger, but high enough into the air to give himself enough time to slide behind what remains of the statue and his enormous blade to block whatever is about to transpire.

The Ramrods

The arm tumbled through the air and landed on the other side of the seal with a clattering clank. Nothing else happened.

Hail Hydra
    Huh, maybe it needs to be a living thing.

VayBJ4e.png
    maybe its the throne

if that halfling rogue comes back from being a statue, he's gonna have a bad time

Team Ramrod

Lig positions their club to quickly strike.
    Does some practice swings blind behind the shield.

I'm ready when you are!

VayBJ4e.png
    Team Ramrod

“Arg, damned trap. Stay in cover. Lig, get ready.” Durgon makes a quick Z symbol with his hands. “Zoltan protect me.”

The dwarf edges to the side of the seal, keeping his body, legs, and head behind the statue while reaching his arm out, slapping the ground the seal is on, and attempting to pull everything back in as quickly as possible.

The Ramrods

But the eye refused to open. Durgon felt a crackling surging presence this close to the seal. He also saw in the pupil of the Seal's eye a small hole, no bigger than 2 inches wide.

Hail Hydra