As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    mC8KHal.jpg
    Tommy Oliver has had quite the career as a Power Ranger, but fans will get to see a whole new side to him and even meet his family in the new Mighty Morphin Power Rangers graphic novel from BOOM! Studios.

The original graphic novel is titled Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Soul of The Dragon, and focuses on a previously unexplored time in Tommy Oliver's history. After his time as the Black Dino Ranger in Dino Thunder, Tommy has moved on from being a Ranger, letting the S.P.D. Rangers defend the world. Unfortunately, his son goes missing, and he'll have to discover some things about his past and join up with some surprising teammates to find him and bring him home safely.

The book is written by Mighty Morphin Power Rangers writer Kyle Higgins and is drawn by Justice League vs. Suicide Squad's Giuseppe Cafaro, and Jason David Frank is also onboard as a special consultant.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Soul of The Dragon hits comic stores in December.

• Options
    Sorry for posting multiple times in a row but I thought that those interested in the main PR comic-book series would like to know that both the creative and Ranger teams for the book are changing after Shattered Grid is over. On the creative side, writer Marguerite Bennett (Marvel's Angela and DC's Bombshells and the current Batwoman series) and artist Simone Di Meo will be taking over. As for the team, you can see for yourself in the box below.
    7bMKKHt.jpg

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Andros and Magna Defender? Sign me up!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    And a Japan-only Kyoryuger/Dino Charger.

• Options
    Art of the holofoil cover for the Shattered Grid finale one-shot reveals an not-unexpected addition to the story.
    28VsfqU.jpg

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Man there is like 25 years of power rangers at this point you cant just not spell it out

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    He's either referring to the red ranger from Beast Morphers (next year's season) on the left there or the silhouette of Drakkon's final form

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    He's either referring to the red ranger from Beast Morphers (next year's season) on the left there or the silhouette of Drakkon's final form

I meant the former. However, it looks like the first appearance was actually in MMPR #29.
    lJMftXg.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I just had a fun thought.

What if Hasbro, for some reason, made a fully American-made Power Rangers series. Like, everything; all the footage, the monsters, the costumes, the plots, everything is American made.

Then Toei adapts it into a Japanese show by splicing in footage and completely changing the plots around .

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I totally want a Netflix animated series of completely new Rangers.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I just had a fun thought.

What if Hasbro, for some reason, made a fully American-made Power Rangers series. Like, everything; all the footage, the monsters, the costumes, the plots, everything is American made.

Then Toei adapts it into a Japanese show by splicing in footage and completely changing the plots around .

I think they might. They do it with transformers constantly and an animated series reboot based on the classic team would allow them to reuse old molds which they love to do and cater to older fans

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMwYvkBKN9M
    Movies With Mikey's Film Club watches the Power Rangers reboot and really likes it. I'm a little unimpressed with how thrilled they are with EXTREMELY basic themes like the Power of Friendship or Teamwork is Good. Is this... your first time watching a superhero movie, guys?

• Options
    I dunno, as a kid those themes seemed really trite

As an adult I am all about them and often genuinely moved

They've become a selling point

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    in fairness we've gotten plenty of superhero movies that want nothing to do with those kinds of themes

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMwYvkBKN9M
    Movies With Mikey's Film Club watches the Power Rangers reboot and really likes it. I'm a little unimpressed with how thrilled they are with EXTREMELY basic themes like the Power of Friendship or Teamwork is Good. Is this... your first time watching a superhero movie, guys?
    DeepDive is a series wherein the object is to take a generally-agreed upon “bad movie” and find a way to love it. It is not, strictly speaking, hardcore critical analysis. They are literally largely ignoring most of the flaws to pay closer attention to what is good about the movie.
    Edit: like, they are critical with the stuff they like, generally, it’s not completely devoid of analysis, but they’re intentionally giving all the films in the series a bit of a Rose-colored-lens examination.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Boy shattered grid is kinda failing to do anything for me now

As someone who stopped watching a decade or two ago everytime they introduce people from like post dino thunder I just dont caaaaaaaaaaaaaare

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Ts1iN7b.jpg

Build-A-Bear Workshop have a Green Ranger teddy-bear available to buy right now online for 28 dollars with the little Dragon Dagger there costing 12 bucks extra.

• Options
    Sorry for the double-post but this week's Go Go Power Rangers #12 had a cool moment that some fans may have wanted to see happen on the show.
    MmWeDtl.jpg

Wanted the OG Zords to combine with the Thunderzords even though the latter's transformed versions of the former? Well there you go.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So I remember when the comics started the pitch was "Canon, taking place between seasons when Tommy first became Green Ranger".

They given up on that right? Cause it's running into the problem that was obvious, where there been some insane stuff that's happened that would make no sense not ever being referenced.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Did they ever say it was canon? Like, it's set in the present day, for a start. My understanding is that it was broad strokes from the beginning, which is definitely the best way to approach it.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Wait, I didn't know there was ALSO Go-Go Power Rangers and well as MMPR comics. And they tie into shattered grid? Is it worth reading all 12 issues at this point?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Wait, I didn't know there was ALSO Go-Go Power Rangers and well as MMPR comics. And they tie into shattered grid? Is it worth reading all 12 issues at this point?

Yes, Go Go is quite good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Go Go is set at the start of the MMPR's stint as heroes, focusing on how being Rangers affects their regular lives. It ties into Shattered Grid due to time-traveling.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Renegade Game Studios has announced their first official Power Rangers project since obtaining the license!

Power Rangers: Heroes Of The Grid will be a 2-5 player tabletop board game where players can work together to save Angel Grove from Rita Repulsa and her army of monsters.

Artwork for this game has been provided by Dan Mora, already famous for his work on the BOOM! Studios Power Rangers comic books.

And the first EXPANSION for Heroes Of The Grid has already been announced: The Shattered Grid Expansion will feature locations & characters from BOOM!’s comic series run- PLUS characters from the Power Rangers HyperForce RPG!

The KickStarter for Heroes Of The Grid will be opened on August 14. Fans of tabletop gaming will get to try out Heroes Of The Grid in-person at Power Morphicon, August 17-19!

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/08/02/power-rangers-heroes-of-the-grid-tabletop-game-coming-from-renegade-game-studios-54356

Dunno how I fell about this being kickstarted. Hasbro can't foot the bill?

• Options
    tabletop companies have long since been using kickstarter as, in essence, a preorder system, where all of the actual design work is already done, and the goal acts as the minimum number of orders the company is looking for before it considers printing a run to be worth it

it's basically the only way niche board games get made anymore, for instance

• Options
    This weekend was Power Morphicon and BOOM revealed a pair of covers for the Power Ranger titles.
    tAp5tlI.jpg
    ajlnFGA.jpg

• Options
    god I hope we don't get too many jokes about zack getting pink

• Options
    The anniversary special in Power Rangers: Ninja Steel apparently gave Tommy a power-up of sorts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX7kMhkyBS0

Say hello to the Master Morpher, a transformation device that lets Tommy swap between his various Ranger identities.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    The anniversary special in Power Rangers: Ninja Steel apparently gave Tommy a power-up of sorts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX7kMhkyBS0

Say hello to the Master Morpher, a transformation device that lets Tommy swap between his various Ranger identities.

That would be pretty cool
    if each ranger identity had different strengths and weaknesses and he could utilize it for different situations (i.e. Red is more defensive, Green is offensive, White powers up his teammates, etc.

Not sure if that's the case. My only recent exposure to Power Rangers is listening to the Teenagers with Attitude Podcast

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    which one lets him be great at driving cars

• Options
    Is the anniversary special streaming by any chance

• Options
    I have finished shattered grid

Its good!
    The best thing about it is that even though it becomes this weird acid trip with insane battles and gods and metaphysical questions

The power of friendship is still the solution, and the reason why Drakkon fails.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    How have you finished shattered grid? It's not over yet is it? Never mind I'm a dumb dumb!

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    How have you finished shattered grid? It's not over yet is it?

Yep, the finale came out Wednesday.

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    relevant, in a roundabout way

https://youtu.be/IbLbEYuDZEA

TheySlashThem on