As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp]Hunger of the Beast[ToA]

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Just to clarify, Har is just trying to drag wolfie around the map?

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I believe Har is attempting to flee from battle on the wolfie. I've handled this in a couple different ways, but in general, you can flee if you hit the edge of the map during your move.

If it's a chase scenario, you make opposed Speed checks and see what happens. If the numbers are within 2 of each other, the chase continues and people can continue combat as if they were adjacent to each other until one or the other falls behind.

• Options
    That's even better.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Victor isn't too sure what Har is attempting to do, but ti seemed to be aimed around keeping the wolf away from the rest of them, so he wasn't too keen on disagreeing. Instead, he focused on Nasim, and ensuring that their ally was being kept as healthy as the team themselves. A ball of light appeared and rushed to her, healing the last remaining scratches she had received.

Cast Deliverance on Nasim.
    Heal 4 HP.

@joshgotro

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Aub uses Cover to move to C8 and attacks with Reckless Strike and Focused Defense facing the wolf.
    Geth roll 1d10 for slashing action.

slashing action:
    1d10 1 [1d10=1]

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The wolf dodges, but still takes 9 damage from the blow. It then lopes off into the plains, Har on top.

Geth, roll 1d10+6 for running away

The wolf will be impossible to catch for Victor or Aub, but you can make a DC 6 Speed check to attempt to quickly grab the horses and give chase. The plains are quite open, so chasing the wolf will be easy if you do so immediately.

Nasim goes over to the unconscious, armored form.

What do you do? @joshgotro @AustinP0027

running away:
    1d10+6 15 [1d10=9]

Xagar on
  • Options
    Er, so I guess we won?

• Options
    HAR!!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Geth roll 1d10 for grab the horses and ride!

@Xagar Sorry I didn't see the edited options earlier.

"I'm coming Har!"

grab the horses and ride!:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]

joshgotro on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Har watches as the sheep disappear from sight.
    "A'ight. That should do it. You're safe now."

Har looks at her arm. The lump is not nearly as noticeable as she was worried it would be.
    "I'm not sure if this thing makes me smell good, or if you're just not used to fightin' people", Har mutters.
    "Still can't be havin you take me wherever we're going 'fore the rest of my mates show up."

Har starts running her hands through the beasts hair, trying to pat it.
    "I don't half lose my elbows in this mess, ha!"

Geth roll 1d10 for Soothing the beast and slowing it

Soothing the beast and slowing it:
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]

• Options
    Unlike the ravenous beast you fought earlier, the bristles on the wolf are angled along its body. A pat from front to back is safe enough, though they still end in razor-sharp points. The massive creature does pause for a few moments, but both you and the beast can hear Aub yelling and see her galloping towards you on top of Colonel at full tilt. It rises again, panting heavily, and takes off once again, directly away from the chasing rider.

Due to the horses' haste, catching the wolf is an inevitability. What does Aub do when she catches up? Did Victor give chase as well?

• Options
    Victor's skill in horses is less than his companions, so he stays behind with Nasim, watching over the defeated rider, their cart, their supplies, and ensuring both their new companion and himself are healed back up.

• Options
    Does Aub recognize that the wolf is just responding to her chase?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I think that's up to how she thinks in these kinds of situations. There's certainly plenty of evidence over the last 60 seconds that it and Har have no interest in hurting each other, but that didn't stop her from attacking before, so it's unclear. If you want to determine it randomly, make a background check.

EDIT: May not have understood your question correctly. That kind of depends on Aub's animal-related experience, which might actually be pretty good? Still need some kind of explanation and background check.

From a mechanical standpoint, the battle is not yet over for the three in the chase.

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Geth roll 1d10 for reassurance

Aub slows Colonel down to a trot and motions with her arms towards Har.

reassurance:
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The wolf will continue running until it's out of sight of Aub, turning around a bend in a small hill.

---
    Har, on the wolf's back, can feel it slow once it passes around that bend. It then turns towards a dense stand of trees to the south.

It will continue on to the trees, making its way approximately to its center, and finally collapses in a small clearing, exhausted and panting. It left a great deal of shredded foliage and broken branches behind.

Geth, roll 1d10 for navigation to a hidey hole

navigation to a hidey hole:
    1d10 1 [1d10=1]

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Nasim, leaning over the unconscious rider, looks up to Victor and says "You should take the horses back to the pond and get Hans and the cart. I'll keep this one down." She looks up at the sun, low on the horizon. "We haven't seen the bandits that attacked their farm, and we should deal with this," she gestures with her head towards the sheep, "before nightfall."

Xagar on
  • Options
    Victor nods. "Alright. Watch him carefully."

The Radiant mounts a horse, and grabs the reins of the other, leading both back to Hans and the cart.
    Pausing just in case I need to roll for anything. if not, I'll continue with giving Hans instruction, hitching the horses to the cart, and returning it all back to where Nasim is.

• Options
    @AustinP0027 It's well-trodden ground by now, so no rolls needed, but it will take a significant amount of time. It'll be well into twilight by the time you get back.

Let's find out how the other situation resolves while that's going on...

• Options
    "... Thought I'd have more time"
    Har mutters, looking around the clearing.
    Either the wolf just picked the closest grove, or...
    Geth roll 1d10+4 for Perception

Har then hides.

Perception:
    1d10+4 11 [1d10=7]

• Options
    You're the most interesting thing in this small clearing. The wolf doing is its best to lick its wounds; a large area of bristles above a leg is crushed inwards from Aub's fist, splintered and piercing through its hide. You're surrounded by the sounds of insects, the smell of blood over the freshly-damaged vegetation, and a bit of sunlight filtering in low through the trees. The oppressive grey clouds have broken for a moment, but you can see more coming in. It's going to be a very dark night.

• Options
    Just for the record, when I split the party, we were in a town. You guys are doing it in the middle of the wilderness

• Options
    .. it's coming back to some place it knows.
    Geth roll 1d10 for hiding from the big dog's friends

hiding from the big dog's friends:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

• Options
    Still waiting to see how Aub will react to this situation. Har did a successful hide.

• Options
    Aub dismounts Colonel and ties him to a tree.
    Scanning the area for tracks, "Where could they have gone? HAR!

Geth roll 1d10 for perception

perception:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

• Options
    edited September 2018
    You can easily find a path of destroyed foliage to the wounded wolf, which has raised to its feet, searching for the source of the sound. It doesn't seem to notice you.

Geth, roll 1d10+1 for perceptiones

perceptiones:
    1d10+1 4 [1d10=3]

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Geth roll 1d10+4 for hearing

hearing:
    1d10+4 7 [1d10=3]

discrider on
  • Options
    In the brush, Har's ears prick.
    "Aub", she mutters to herself.
    Moving carefully, Har attempts to circle around the clearing to pull Aub into the cover.

Geth roll 1d10 for pulling Aub into hiding

pulling Aub into hiding:
    1d10 5 [1d10=5]

• Options
    The wolf seems satisfied Aub is not in sight, and settles down to rest. The camera shifts behind Aub, and a hand reaches out of the brush.

• Options
    Aub's left foot raises off the ground and the noise reaches her ears but her reflexes go into action, spinning around with both hands up in a defense stance ready to swing.

• Options
    Hey Aub!, the bush hisses quietly.
    Get in here! We don't wan' to be in the open if his friends show up!

• Options
    Har stops for a moment.
    I could just check..

There is a flicker of blue in the brush as Har pops onboard for a brief skip.
    Looking to the horizon she assesses the weather:
    Geth roll 2d10k1 for Is danger rolling in?

Is danger rolling in?:
    2d10k1 2 [2d10k1=[2], 1]

• Options
    edited September 2018
    It's difficult to tell of any oncoming weather - there's grey clouds from horizon to horizon.
    So what's the plan here, you all settling down to hide in the same stand of trees as something that tried to kill you ten minutes ago or what?

Xagar on
  • Options
    Probably feel silly in 10 minutes when no-one comes to pick up the dog to be honest, then have to figure whether we should ride this dog back to its camp..

• Options
    Let's recap the situation. We chased down a wolf attacking sheep, we knocked it's rider off, then the wolf stopped attacking us and ran away with Har on it. I gave chase for Har, and now I'm just trying to get Har back.

If the wolf was just an instrument of the rider, we can go about our business.

• Options
    Do we think we need 'im to lead us back to the bandits?, Har whispers at Aub.
    I know we got the bandit laid out back there, but I thought this one'd be quicker.
    Else we may as well just leave 'im here.

• Options
    Aub's body language betrays her.

"Yes. We've wasted enough time with this wolf."

• Options
    edited September 2018
    And with that, the battle is finally over. Everyone get 10 experience for resolving the situation.

I'm going to presume Aub and Har head back to the flock of sheep, where they find Nasim is sitting on a rock by the unconscious rider. The strange bone armor around him is now gone, and his leather armor is shredded and slick with blood near the joints. Nasim looks up from a small satchel she's going through, and asks "You kill it?"

Victor and the other two horses are nowhere to be seen.

Xagar on
  • Options
    Where's Victor?

Aub looks at the rider, "he talk?"

• Options
    "Thought I should wait until our whole party was here to revive him. Victor's getting Hans and the cart." She sets down the pouch, and reaches behind her on the rock. She brings it back up, holding an orange, spiky fruit you saw the singer eat before. "Know anything about this?"