As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

1939495969799»

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Hopefully the other characters will immediately notice the massive change in your character's disposition, can tie it back to the macguffin you recently picked up, and figure out some way to destroy or otherwise remove the curse from the item. Having a personality change forced on a character you're enjoying really sucks :(

Because I am a petulant child, if that happened to me, I would immediately start trying to make the DM miserable until an option was presented to remove the problem. I would consider shouting "I MUST HAVE ZE POWER!" at the beginning of any encounter (combat or not), just to really underscore it.

Fry on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Yeah I tried tomb of annihilation for the same reason even though I don't like published modules. It was a disaster and I quit, but not because of that

sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Ken O wrote: »
    I already am rid of the item. I couldn't use it and I traded it to an NPC for something else shiny. No idea if he got the same personality switch. We were the only two to touch it during the session. I'm probably blowing it up too much if a Remove Curse or even Greater Restoration can remove it. As a player I don't know all the info.
    I trust my DM. This isn't something he'd normally come up with, so I know it's straight out of the campaign.

It's just a regular cursed item, not like one of the dark gifts, unless your DM is an asshole Remove Curse, cast on you, works fine

amber temple is generally just a "fuck you and your character" location though

override367 on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Doesn't Tomb of Annihilation do that, too, but with nine competing spirits?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    you might want to spoil that for people still playing it

i don't know if it does that, because we never made it out of random jungle times before i bailed

sig.gif
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Having been bogged down in random jungle times.... lesson learned was to skip random jungle times.

UNLESS... you have a really cool idea for a jungle dinosaur encounter that is just too good to pass up. Then you pretend to roll on the random encounter tables and drop your set piece jungle combat on the table. :)

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

it's a bit different than that... and the spirits are only driving around in you until after the tomb

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I would talk to my DM seriously if they tried something like that. If handled wrong I might quit the campaign. That sort of thing can be amazing if pre planned but it feels totally different if I'm blindsided by the removal of agency. I'd be tempted to just ignore it and play my character however I want!

Does that item somehow permanently affect the first PC to touch it and nobody else? What stops the player from getting rid of it to lose the curse, or cursing the whole party so they're on board?

To be fair, there is an NPC present that telegraphs that the item is bad (though that DM may have handled the NPC differently).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

it's a bit different than that... and the spirits are only driving around in you until after the tomb

Also, there are saving throws for those.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    derp

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil