Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Overwatch] #13 - Hammond: 2cute2furry-ous

19596979899101»

Posts

  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Damn you, Mystery Heroes! It gave me Tracer and I went on a tear, nearly singlehandedly opening the first point of King's Row to be taken. However, I know if I were to choose her in quick play, I'd end up tickling a Roadhog and then blinking into a fire strike or something. It's just the game giving me false hope. It happens from time to time with Genji and McCree, as well...

    I had another good run as Tracer in Mystery Heroes, so I figured I should try her out in quick play. I...guess I'm good at Tracer now? I did well enough that the other team had to bring out Brigitte to try to counter me. I don't know how to feel about this...

    BionicPenguin on
    9MpLNPA.jpg
    Steam: MightyPotatoKing/King of the Impossible - Battle.net: PotatoKing#1893
    ChanceH3KnucklesThe Escape Goat
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat bad, but in a useful way Registered User regular
    Damn you, Mystery Heroes! It gave me Tracer and I went on a tear, nearly singlehandedly opening the first point of King's Row to be taken. However, I know if I were to choose her in quick play, I'd end up tickling a Roadhog and then blinking into a fire strike or something. It's just the game giving me false hope. It happens from time to time with Genji and McCree, as well...

    I had another good run as Tracer in Mystery Heroes, so I figured I should try her out in quick play. I...guess I'm good at Tracer now? I did well enough that the other team had to bring out Brigitte to try to counter me. I don't know how to feel about this...

    Ashamed, primarily.

    :P

    Dibby wrote: »
    yeah but it's a really happenin' wake with chips and punch
    BionicPenguin
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I do.
    Damn you, Mystery Heroes! It gave me Tracer and I went on a tear, nearly singlehandedly opening the first point of King's Row to be taken. However, I know if I were to choose her in quick play, I'd end up tickling a Roadhog and then blinking into a fire strike or something. It's just the game giving me false hope. It happens from time to time with Genji and McCree, as well...

    I had another good run as Tracer in Mystery Heroes, so I figured I should try her out in quick play. I...guess I'm good at Tracer now? I did well enough that the other team had to bring out Brigitte to try to counter me. I don't know how to feel about this...

    Ashamed, primarily.

    :P

    Proud. And rightly so.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Chance wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    Every time I try bowling a team over with Hammond, I end up stuck in enemy territory and they gun me down while I try and escape.

    On the other hand, once I bowled into a mercy and slammed her into a wall killing them.

    Well it's kinda' the D.Va/Winston conundrum - use your mobility skill to get in to get to work, but how do you get out?

    Take a page from Winston: use the grapple and swing to disengage or chase down weakened targets, because you sneakily started the fight from high ground with a piledriver. I say this as pure theorycraft because I've played little Hamham. That said, you might be able to swing in, piledrive, survive with your shield - but that's still like 6 seconds of total exposure - more than enough time to get melted by focus fire.

    I've chased down a lot of fleeing Hams in ball form. Ball form all on its own is actually a pretty-great escape option, on par with Soldier's sprint - but you're still a massive, massive hitbox.

    Piledriving from high is nice but mostly situational. You usually need to burn the grapple to set up a good piledrive.

    Personally, I don't struggle too hard with it - not that I still don't fuck up - because it's pretty similar to Doomfist initiations. Are they momentarily distracted? Can I find a sneaky angle? What disables do they have? If none, do they have absolutely massive damage?

    If the answers to most of these questions are the right ones, you can probably go in and then just roll out.

    Hammond has more trouble than Doomfist with finishing kills though, and that's why it's always helpful to look back at where your dps are to check they can help with and/or profit from your dive. Crucially though, it also means that it's not necessarily your job to find a pick. If you dived on Ana and she sleep darted and heal naded you, you've turned her into just a decent single target healer with all her skills on cd. Get out and profit off that for the next 10-12 seconds. You went in when your team was ready to go and you tanked Brig stun, flashbang, hook, and hack before dying? Job well done! Here's your reward: ten seconds of respawn screen to watch your team crush the enemy before them

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Chance
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Damn you, Mystery Heroes! It gave me Tracer and I went on a tear, nearly singlehandedly opening the first point of King's Row to be taken. However, I know if I were to choose her in quick play, I'd end up tickling a Roadhog and then blinking into a fire strike or something. It's just the game giving me false hope. It happens from time to time with Genji and McCree, as well...

    I had another good run as Tracer in Mystery Heroes, so I figured I should try her out in quick play. I...guess I'm good at Tracer now? I did well enough that the other team had to bring out Brigitte to try to counter me. I don't know how to feel about this...

    (If you're blue) You should feel great! A good Tracer is always nice to see.
    (If you're red) You should feel awful! Never play her, she's useless and bad.

  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    Every time I try bowling a team over with Hammond, I end up stuck in enemy territory and they gun me down while I try and escape.

    On the other hand, once I bowled into a mercy and slammed her into a wall killing them.

    Well it's kinda' the D.Va/Winston conundrum - use your mobility skill to get in to get to work, but how do you get out?

    Take a page from Winston: use the grapple and swing to disengage or chase down weakened targets, because you sneakily started the fight from high ground with a piledriver. I say this as pure theorycraft because I've played little Hamham. That said, you might be able to swing in, piledrive, survive with your shield - but that's still like 6 seconds of total exposure - more than enough time to get melted by focus fire.

    I've chased down a lot of fleeing Hams in ball form. Ball form all on its own is actually a pretty-great escape option, on par with Soldier's sprint - but you're still a massive, massive hitbox.

    Piledriving from high is nice but mostly situational. You usually need to burn the grapple to set up a good piledrive.

    Personally, I don't struggle too hard with it - not that I still don't fuck up - because it's pretty similar to Doomfist initiations. Are they momentarily distracted? Can I find a sneaky angle? What disables do they have? If none, do they have absolutely massive damage?

    If the answers to most of these questions are the right ones, you can probably go in and then just roll out.

    Hammond has more trouble than Doomfist with finishing kills though, and that's why it's always helpful to look back at where your dps are to check they can help with and/or profit from your dive. Crucially though, it also means that it's not necessarily your job to find a pick. If you dived on Ana and she sleep darted and heal naded you, you've turned her into just a decent single target healer with all her skills on cd. Get out and profit off that for the next 10-12 seconds. You went in when your team was ready to go and you tanked Brig stun, flashbang, hook, and hack before dying? Job well done! Here's your reward: ten seconds of respawn screen to watch your team crush the enemy before them

    This may seem like a weird question but do you think his ammo should be higher?

    Also
    Damn you, Mystery Heroes! It gave me Tracer and I went on a tear, nearly singlehandedly opening the first point of King's Row to be taken. However, I know if I were to choose her in quick play, I'd end up tickling a Roadhog and then blinking into a fire strike or something. It's just the game giving me false hope. It happens from time to time with Genji and McCree, as well...

    I had another good run as Tracer in Mystery Heroes, so I figured I should try her out in quick play. I...guess I'm good at Tracer now? I did well enough that the other team had to bring out Brigitte to try to counter me. I don't know how to feel about this...

    (If you're blue) You should feel great! A good Tracer is always nice to see.
    (If you're red) You should feel awful! Never play her, she's useless and bad.

    Either way the Tracer feels like this

    6kuuszes902r.png

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I think Hammond's ammo count right now is just right. As frustrating as it can be to get a hero down to 25 HPs and then run out of ammo, if you gave him more he would be a fucking terror. You can burst down 200 and 250 HP heroes pretty quickly, but your aim needs to be on point to do it, and that's probably right where it should be.

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    The Escape GoatBionicPenguinEndaroBeyond Normal
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I feel like I should be side-eying *someone* when the 2nd healer on my team is Moira doing 28% of the team damage but I'm not sure if it's the DPS or Moria.

    I healed 25% and the team was whining for heals the entire game..could go either way.

    Also wow some people are really bad at IDing the problem. Route 66, we're not doing horrible but the other team is running very flanky. Dive comp almost except they aren't doing coordinated dives, they're just hitting us from all directions more or less at the same time, so the healers are dying. Response? "lol bad DPS". o.O

    Phoenix-D on
    joshofalltrades
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I don't know how I feel about Hammond's ammo count. I can see the argument for keeping it as is, and I can also see the argument for raising it a little. I'm just glad I'm not the guy making these decisions. That said, I've noticed a lot more success committing for a kill with these few tricks. The tl;dr is try to use all the no-aim-no-brain damage you can, but the longer version is here:

    1) Try to aim with strafe rather than with mouse/aiming stick. This is because, first, AD juking wildly at point-blank range isn't going to dodge shit. You're a gigantic ball right up in the target's face: they're going to hit you. This is a race to zero and they're not going to miss their shots on the way there, so why should you help them by missing yours? Aiming with strafes means you can match the target's movement near-perfectly, where mouse and stick movements might miss critical shots.

    2) Melees. Hot damn, melees. Walk right up into the enemy as soon as you start firing because sooooo often you're going to need one maybe two melees to finish the job. Again, this makes you slightly easier to hit, but again, this is a race to zero and you're only going to win it by minimising your inherent hitbox disadvantage.

    3) Track your grapple cd religiously. Often you can finish the kill with a second grapple even if it means disengaging for a second or two then reengaging for the finish.

    4) Look for drops to engage your piledrive back onto the same level where you're fighting. Much like Doomfists's slam you can engage piledrive by just being slightly off a ledge, and you can aftertouch yourself back onto the ledge for some sneaky AoE damage.

    But finally? You're still a tank. Sometimes you have to give up on the kill and get away. But hopefully you created hella space with the almighty commotion you made on the way in.

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Chance
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Last couple of comp games features the meanest Sombra I've ever seen. First game, first round of Illos I got NO healing as hog. Every single time I went to huff bam, hack or biotic grenade.

    Second round, every time my Rein shield dropped it never went back up because I got hacked.

    Next game, they weren't quite as much of a pain but it did lead to this lovely exchange
    D'Va bomb is hucked into the air
    me as Rein "I've got it."
    bomb lands right in front of me, EMP goes off.
    "...never mind."

    Moridin889Chanceemnmnme
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Last couple of comp games features the meanest Sombra I've ever seen. First game, first round of Illos I got NO healing as hog. Every single time I went to huff bam, hack or biotic grenade.

    Second round, every time my Rein shield dropped it never went back up because I got hacked.

    Next game, they weren't quite as much of a pain but it did lead to this lovely exchange
    D'Va bomb is hucked into the air
    me as Rein "I've got it."
    bomb lands right in front of me, EMP goes off.
    "...never mind."

    I've rarely run into a good sombra at my level but there was one in a comp game i had that every single time i did lucio's ult she did hers one second afterward. Like, she was waiting for it. At first it was infuriating but then i kind of took it as a compliment that the player was specifically trying to shut me down. feels goodbad man

    Chance
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I've met some in my gold/plat games. Had one on Anubis once that literally had EMP every teamfight - never seen anything like it. I can usually go toe-to-toe with them on Tracer, but sometimes one comes along who's always in the right place to hack me and I'm just screwed, all game.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    The permanent stealth change and her massively decreased spread both make her a serious threat now. Still not quite as annoying as Genji, but pretty close.

    The Escape GoatDusda
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Had a few bad matches in a row. Then two great matches last night - close loss on Anubis. We held them at the last point solidly then suddently in the last minute they found their coordination and beat us. Then a game on Route 66 where the other team didn’t even get the cart to the first point.

    I noticed I had a couple of loot boxes so I went and opened them. First was the same as my last half dozen - bunch of sprays and voice lines.

    Second had Officer D.Va.

    Yes, I’ll take that.

    -Loki- on
    KreutzChanceH3Knuckles
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    joshofalltradesBionicPenguinTim is on the Internet-Loki-The Escape GoatNobodyH3KnucklesMusicoolmiscellaneousinsanityKreutzEndaroReynoldsBeyond NormalKoopahTroopahdavidsdurionsDusda
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades 地獄のようにかわいい あなたは嫉妬深いかRegistered User regular
    ジェイムズ・ブラウンの好きな色は何ですか?
    青!
    Tim is on the InternetChanceCantido
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat bad, but in a useful way Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    proposition: all support comp should be called "heal team six"

    The Escape Goat on
    Dibby wrote: »
    yeah but it's a really happenin' wake with chips and punch
    Tim is on the InternetH3KnucklesMusicoolmiscellaneousinsanityPailryderEndaroChanceKoopahTroopahdavidsdurions
  • TexiKenTexiKen hey, hey, you're overpraising me Registered User regular
    apologies but I've been on vacation for a week, what's this DvA nano cola challenge?

    svGX1mU.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    apologies but I've been on vacation for a week, what's this DvA nano cola challenge?

    Win 9 games in any mode (I think? QP and comp for sure) and you get some DvA sprays and a new skin.

    Watch a total of 8 hours of sponsored Twitch streamers and get a bunch of other DvA sprays (which are pretty great if you care about sprays)

    Chance
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    apologies but I've been on vacation for a week, what's this DvA nano cola challenge?

    Just win ten games of Something That's Not Custom.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    ChanceH3Knuckles
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Not sure about the Twitch stuff, but win 10 games across any game modes and get the in game skin from the animated short. Along the way you get sprays as well.

    ChanceH3Knuckles
  • TexiKenTexiKen hey, hey, you're overpraising me Registered User regular
    so no loot boxes this week, just DvA stuff?

    svGX1mU.png
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    There are still lootboxes. The D.Va stuff is on top of the normal stuff.

    9MpLNPA.jpg
    Steam: MightyPotatoKing/King of the Impossible - Battle.net: PotatoKing#1893
    The Escape GoatChanceH3KnucklesKoopahTroopah
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    oh no, it runs concurrent with the regular arcade box wins

  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    ...I just got a card for 49% damage healed as Mercy. Solo healing.

    I knew the other team didn't do well, but damn.

    Phoenix-D on
    H3KnucklesBeyond NormalCantidoChanceKoopahTroopahDusdaJackdawGinThe Escape Goat
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So that was a terrible match with a hilarious result. Hollywood, we're attacking. Terrible team, we never took the cart. I went Mercy as usual, the rest of the team was DPS and tanks. I got 4k healing which is 2k below my average.

    It was low because I was doing the killing. By the end of the game, only the Bastion player had more and he was just turret camping. I got silver in eliminations with 7 and still managed 4k in healing.

    And of course they give the post match votes to Bastion.

    Chance
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    ...I just got a card for 49% damage healed as Mercy. Solo healing.

    I knew the other team didn't do well, but damn.

    10K total hero damage done by your enemies in a match? Wao. That's (not very much!) a lotta' junk damage and no picks.

    Like I've had that happen - where I'm racking up thousands in damage but just not scoring picks because the enemy supports are so on point and the tanks are so good at peeling for me - but it's also because the rest of my team aren't doing anything when I drop a Bastion/Rein/Mercy to 50% HP and bail for health.
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So that was a terrible match with a hilarious result. Hollywood, we're attacking. Terrible team, we never took the cart. I went Mercy as usual, the rest of the team was DPS and tanks. I got 4k healing which is 2k below my average.

    It was low because I was doing the killing. By the end of the game, only the Bastion player had more and he was just turret camping. I got silver in eliminations with 7 and still managed 4k in healing.

    And of course they give the post match votes to Bastion.

    Well in fairness they couldn't see your silver medal - there's never a card for second place - but that's the point at which you've gotta' ask yourself "would we have won that if I'd been the one playing DPS?"

    Search your feelings - you know it to be true!

    Chance on
    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    McMoogle
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So that was a terrible match with a hilarious result. Hollywood, we're attacking. Terrible team, we never took the cart. I went Mercy as usual, the rest of the team was DPS and tanks. I got 4k healing which is 2k below my average.

    It was low because I was doing the killing. By the end of the game, only the Bastion player had more and he was just turret camping. I got silver in eliminations with 7 and still managed 4k in healing.

    And of course they give the post match votes to Bastion.

    Well in fairness they couldn't see your silver medal - there's never a card for second place - but that's the point at which you've gotta' ask yourself "would we have won that if I'd been the one playing DPS?"

    Search your feelings - you know it to be true!

    I did next round. Everyone went DPS. No one wanted to tank or play healer. So I thought fuck it, they don’t deserve a healer, went Soldier and got to work doing some killing.

    We lost but it was very cathartic.

    Also I’m amazed at what changing up my characters has done for my enthusiasm playing this game. Back when I first started I primarily played Widowmaker and Soldier. Im not a good Widowmaker and while o think I’m a good Soldier it’s kinda just like playing any other FPS, so I got bored and stopped playing for months.

    Now that I know the characters I like, most of my spare time goes into playing this.

    ChanceH3KnucklesKreutz
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Playing new heroes can totally revitalize my affection for the game too. I'll regularly Mei or Pharah when I'm feelin' like I don't wanna' tryhard on Tracer.

    Edit: also @-Loki- - do you ever go DPS in comp?

    Chance on
    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    KoopahTroopah
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    51% healed as a solo mercy or you are doing it WRONG.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    51% healed as a solo mercy or you are doing it WRONG.

    hah!

    Tonight had a good demonstration of why medals aren't everything. Castle map, the other team pushes the payload all the way in after a decent fight. 1:40 left. I'm Sym with three gold medals but the team wants to switch.

    Next round, I'm Mercy and we push the payload all the way in. 1:00 left. Tiebreaker round 1, and the payload never stops moving because I never die, and that's game.

    If I had kept DPS, I think we would have lost. The support players weren't doing bad the first round, but we did better with the swaps.

    Musicool
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Edit: also @-Loki- - do you ever go DPS in comp?

    I’m still under rank 25. Hit 21 last night. I’ll be jumping into comp as soon as I hit 25.

    Chance
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I think Winston is the ultimate example of medals not mattering. A Winston who has gold damage and elims in a game where his team lost was almost certainly playing a terrible Winston, while a Winston who doesn't medal on a winning team was very possibly playing out of his mind. Of course, a Winston with golds on a team that wins is naturally god-tier.

    ChanceNobodyMoridin889
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    Edit: also @-Loki- - do you ever go DPS in comp?

    I’m still under rank 25. Hit 21 last night. I’ll be jumping into comp as soon as I hit 25.

    I had my history of zero experience (and thus confidence and ability!) with multiplayer shooters, so I mained Mercy for at least the first two seasons with a bit of tank flex here and there. I never pulled my Tracer in comp until, one day in like season 3, I was the Mercy who watched her team split up and die repeatedly on Lijiang (back when control maps were best of five), and the entire team switched to DPS. I went from 0 elims to silver - our Soldier who'd been Soldier all game got 56 elims, and I got silver with 49 by playing as Tracer for the last 3 rounds.

    It took a disaster for me to even try DPS as a desperation move, and discover I could actually get work done in comp with her.

    What I'm sayin' is, don't wait for a disaster match to see if playing DPS is an effective path to victory. Might be that's what you're best at.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • KanaKana Registered User regular


    8 new teams officially announced

    3 Chinese teams - Chengdu, Guangzhuo, Hangzhuo

    Paris

    3 East Coast teams - Toronto, DC, Atlanta

    Vancouver BC

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Why DC I wonder? Chicago makes way more sense given the lack of any midwest based ones.

    steam_sig.png
    Kreutz
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It would depend on where the people paying for the team want it.

    9MpLNPA.jpg
    Steam: MightyPotatoKing/King of the Impossible - Battle.net: PotatoKing#1893
    H3KnucklesMoridin889
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Go Canada!

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    BionicPenguin
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Poor Austria. They have to play the (almost certainly) two best teams in the group today.

    9MpLNPA.jpg
    Steam: MightyPotatoKing/King of the Impossible - Battle.net: PotatoKing#1893
Sign In or Register to comment.