As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleCON: Online] F2P Fighting/Card Hybrid - Let's CONfront each other

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
sf16uw6d9e1o.jpg
Battle Connection, War of Indines, is a tabletop card game taking much inspiration from Arcade Fighting Games.
It is now a Free-to-Play Video game.

Infosheet
Genre: Card Game / Fighting Game
Developer: Level99 Games
Cards? Hell yeah!

Welcome to BattleCON: Online.

Here i hope to answer many questions, such as "What is BattleCON: Online", "How do you play this fancy game" and "Who are you and how did you get in my kitchen."

What is BattleCON: Online
It's a Free-to-play Early Access game available on Steam right here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/792570/

In a nutshell, it's a card game themed after 1v1 Fighting games, the kind popular in arcades and homes around the world. Featuring many interesting characters with unique mechanics, it's pretty fun, i think, and now being a Free-to-play game, it's more accessible than ever!

You will need to make an account to play, however.

How do you play this fancy game?
https://youtu.be/yiL1cF9aGSQ
a tutorial video for the board game

Basically, every beat of the fight goes as such: Both players select 2 cards (a style and a base) then reveal their pair at the same time. They compare priority and the effects are resolved. Hopefully you deal more damage to your opponent!

Style cards are basically all character-specific, while Base cards are the same for all characters.
There is one style card (Switch) that every character has an a unique base for each character.

Think of styles as the unique spin. For instance, both Ryu and Guile have a projectile, but they're not identical.

Positioning also is important, as each attack will have a specific range.

Cards have 4 stats:
Range: Governs which squares will be affected when the attack is performed
Damage: Governs how much damage will be dealt if the attack connects.
Priority: Governs whose attack hits first. Ties don't exist.
Stun Resist: Governs how much damage needs to be done to you to stun you.

Your attacks' stats are calculated by adding up the values on both cards you play.

Before you reveal, you can Ante up for special effects. This can be spending your Force bar on small power ups or using unique mechanics.

Additionally, there are Supers. Those can be used once per game, if your Force is higher than your remaining Health.

It seems very complicated but it's fairly well streamlined.

Free to play info
So, the game is free to play. You can buy characters and skins using in-game and premium currency.
For this week, all fighters are free! Starting next week, there's going to be a 4-fighter rotation going.

Miscelanea
Current number of fighters: 19
Current Rotation: All free

To do
-add visual aids to the OP
-FAQ?
-Fighter List?

I hope you'll enjoy this game, as it's pretty fun and fairly accessible, with most of the busywork done by the computer.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I have the tabletop game, and my friends and me enjoy playing it a lot. Easily my favorite board game. I did get into the kickstarter, so I get extras, too!

Bit scared of going online, though. Some people memorize characters entirely and most optimal pairs and stuff, while I just kinda... play every now and then.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I have the tabletop game, and my friends and me enjoy playing it a lot. Easily my favorite board game. I did get into the kickstarter, so I get extras, too!

Bit scared of going online, though. Some people memorize characters entirely and most optimal pairs and stuff, while I just kinda... play every now and then.

That's understandabe, but i'm thinking most people will "just play".

Also, note that in the online version, you can see your opponent's current hand at all times (Basically, their deck minus discard piles) so that can help.

• Options
    edited September 2018

Also, note that in the online version, you can see your opponent's current hand at all times (Basically, their deck minus discard piles) so that can help.

No, I know you can see them, you also can just ask the opponent to show you their hand in the tabletop. BettleCON is an open information game at every point in time except the step between setting up pairs and reveal!

Sadly none of my main boys and girls are in yet. Karin will do in the meantime though.

Drascin on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

No, I know you can see them, you also can just ask the opponent to show you their hand in the tabletop. BettleCON is an open information game at every point in time except the step between setting up pairs and reveal!

Sadly none of my main boys and girls are in yet. Karin will do in the meantime though.

Ah, i wasn't aware! i don't have the board game.

I did 3 games with Calibretto Cadenza and i just crushed it. i think i like this weird robutt knight.

• Options
    Cadenza is scary good. Just focus on winning all the trades. Sure, you can't dodge for beans, but who cares when you're dealing more damage than the enemy is?

• Options
    Cadenza is scary good. Just focus on winning all the trades. Sure, you can't dodge for beans, but who cares when you're dealing more damage than the enemy is?

Like, i think the first thing i did well with this is not hoard my tokens.

Normally I'd ration the "stun immunity" token like crazy but in my first game i tried it on the first exchange and it worked.

I'm unhappy, though, because i win with such huge margins i can't ever use my finishers. :(

• Options
    Finishers are actually super niche on most characters, I find. Most of the time by the time you can use the finisher you're too weak to risk it because an enemy going before you will kill you.

• Options
    Finishers are actually super niche on most characters, I find. Most of the time by the time you can use the finisher you're too weak to risk it because an enemy going before you will kill you.

i have a quest to use 3 though. D:

• Options
    Oh my FUCKING GOD.

i was playing BattleCON with @cB557 just now. I was Cesar, he was Khaldith.

I had no clue Cesar was such a juggernaut. No range, no mobility, no speed, but fuck, i stayed alive. it was miserable to fight Khaldith sometimes, though, because he just had all the range and mobility and control....

I spent a good quarter of the game at 1 HP and when ceeb thought he had me, i realized i have a passive that makes me stay at 1 HP the first time i would die.

In the end, he almost hit me but i dodge-rolled out of the way and he won through time-out.

for a good 2/3 of the match he had full health.

Insane game.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    How bad is the f2p stuff?

• Options
    How bad is the f2p stuff?

@nexuscrawler

Hard to say since it's early access but so far...

There's currently 19 characters, characters cost about 2-3 dollars real money (3 dollars buys you 300 battle coins) or 1000 fake currency units. based on the amount of money I got from fights, you can probably buy a fighter every 25-30 fights I guess? Not counting quests. (I'm at 330 after 6 games, but 4 of those were wins. There's no post-game results screen showing how much you win, though.)

Also right now, all the characters are free to use but starting next week, there's going to be a 4-character weekly rotation.

No founders pack or bundles available, AFAIK. (Kinda sucks, i like founders packs)

You can also spend real money on skins if you want. Every character has one skin that can only be bought using fake currency if you level up that character enough.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    So happy when these fatass board games I can't play in real life become digitized

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Also right now, all the characters are free to use but starting next week, there's going to be a 4-character weekly rotation.

No founders pack or bundles available, AFAIK. (Kinda sucks, i like founders packs)

You can also spend real money on skins if you want. Every character has one skin that can only be bought using fake currency if you level up that character enough.

It might be hiding them due to the "everyone is unlocked" rotation for this week, but in beta there was a Bundles tab in the store which sold most of the characters in a "season 1" bundle.

...man, I should probably pick which character I'm going to main.

...I mean, it's going to be Marmelee...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

It might be hiding them due to the "everyone is unlocked" rotation for this week, but in beta there was a Bundles tab in the store which sold most of the characters in a "season 1" bundle.

I tried her once and was miserable. I don't think i managed to deal any damage.

• Options
    As a note, today the servers imploded. I've poked into the game's discord server and everyone is reporting the same thing, and Level99 has sent a report to the server guy. So if you got stuck in "waiting", that's normal, happened to a lot of us.

Honestly, I would have been real surprised if they made it through their release weekend without server issues. Level 99 is basically a tiny boardgame company, and this is their first online implementation. Statistically, something had to go ping at some point!

• Options
    Yeah, i was honestly surprised to see them go and make BattleCON Online by themselves.

good thing it's EARLY ACCESS, eh.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    something went whoops!

Bedlam on
  • Options

*taps his forehead*

See, that’s the big-brain play. If I lose, blame the character. If I win, they’ll never see it coming.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Fight me!

we need your in-game battleCON Online name.

which i'm gonna guess is Bedlam#451912

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yeah didnt know there was thing that needed signing up. :(

Im #C66725 ?

Bedlam on
  • Options
    There's no post-game results screen showing how much you win, though

Ive gotten 20 from a loss, and 40 from a win.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Yeah didnt know there was thing that needed signing up. :(

Im #C66725 ?

We need the whole thing.

[Name]#[number]

i'm 21stCentury#119278

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Dayyuuumm BattleCON's waifu game is strong.

I mean it's part fighting game so that's pretty much a requirement.

Cantido on
  • Options
    I'm 8/10 wins so far.

9/10 games as Cadenza.

I think i got my main.

• Options

*taps his forehead*

See, that’s the big-brain play. If I lose, blame the character. If I win, they’ll never see it coming.

Fun fact, this is actually buffed from her original tabletop implementation!

...yeah, original Marms was pretty bad.

• Options
    I wish the models were little 16 bit sprites instead of 2d mimics of their real world counterparts.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    This seems super fun and a great way to enjoy the idea of a fighting game without having to memorize combos, I just wish the game would stop crashing ;_;

On the plus side, this is something I wanted to check out and see if I liked so at the very least I can figure out whether I wanna buy a physical copy or not.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    This seems super fun and a great way to enjoy the idea of a fighting game without having to memorize combos, I just wish the game would stop crashing ;_;

On the plus side, this is something I wanted to check out and see if I liked so at the very least I can figure out whether I wanna buy a physical copy or not.

the launch is a bit rough, but it's Early Access. Today i launched the game 3 times and got issues preventing me from even getting in the queue three times.

Also, there are still some really good combos worth memorizing. For instance, with Cadenza, you definitely will use Clockwork Shot a lot.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

the launch is a bit rough, but it's Early Access. Today i launched the game 3 times and got issues preventing me from even getting in the queue three times.

Also, there are still some really good combos worth memorizing. For instance, with Cadenza, you definitely will use Clockwork Shot a lot.

When I say combos I mean stuff like: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R/Sol_Badguy/Combos than just a couple card combos. I just can't keep all the stuff involved with playing a fighting game sorted in my head when actually playing so something like BattleCON is just a lot more accessible.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I'm winning a lot with Cadenza and it's probably the first game of this type where a character clicked with me instantly and consistently on the first try.

Now I'm scared of trying others.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    This is kind of intriguing. Is there any way at all to interact with other players? Please say no.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    This is kind of intriguing. Is there any way at all to interact with other players? Please say no.

The same as in hearthstone. You got automated quips or direct messages to friends.

• Options
    I'm winning a lot with Cadenza and it's probably the first game of this type where a character clicked with me instantly and consistently on the first try.

Now I'm scared of trying others.

Cadenza: It Just Works.

• Options
    Okay, it took me 18 matches to get 1000 Jade Coins.

That took a lot less matches than i expected.

(Note that my win rate is about 75%, so it could be around 30-40-ish matches if you're not as lucky as me.)

• Options
    Thanks to the "3 games as a X" quests, i tried Kimbhe and Sarafina.

I think i am overall pretty good at this game and not, like..... only able to play as Cadenza well.

Kimbhe is pretty fun, I love how deep you have to think the positioning and junk.

• Options
    Damn, *almost* got a win as Marms tonight. Got Shek down to like 2 health, but I had forgotten she had a card that let her punch through soak.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I'm doing really crappy at this tonight.

I think Cadenza rotted my brain with their incredible stun resistance... i play everyone else way too risky. :(

• Options
    got a 10-win streak with Cadenza.

Sadly, only 4 or 5 were close to being a real fight.

• Options
    Oh, great. Cadenza's free this week. I think i'll have to avoid using them all week, then.