As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2018 PAX Unplugged Challenge Coin

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited January 2019 in PAX Unplugged
Edit: Ordering is closed! Thank you all for your input, orders, and support! I've learned a lot this first year and I think next year is going to be even better! Come back around June 1 and we'll be starting discussions.

Old OP:
Coins are shipping now!

Alright, it is that time! I have created the order form, and now it is open!

Order your PAX Unplugged 2018 Challenge Coins here!

First Batch Orders (updated when I think of it):
37/100 Metal
Painted Color coins are now on batch 2! You will not receive them for a few weeks while the factory produces more.

Production Artwork:
Uncolored Metal Coin
nImcisSl.jpg

Painted Metal Coin
KhNQrLpl.jpg

Cost Information:
UNITED STATES RESIDENTS:
$3 USD for 1 to 3 coins (USPS First Class Package).
$4 USD for 4 to 6 coins (USPS First Class Package).
$7 USD for 7+ coins (USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box) -- (exceeds the weight limit for First Class Package).

INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTS (outside of the US):
$15 USD for 1 to 6 coins (USPS International First Class Package).
$31 USD for 7+ coins (USPS International Priority Small Flat Rate Box) -- (exceeds the weight limit for First Class Package).

Old OP
I present to you, your choice of coin for the 2018 PAX Unplugged!
PokOpiYl.jpg
J8w5T8ml.jpg

Stay tuned. I'll be sending these off to Kidder Corp and once I hear back from them the order form will be open!

Original OP
The dates have been set, tickets have gone on sale, and it's time to start thinking about the 2018 challenge coin! I think last year's turned out really well, and thanks to SutibunRi for carrying that project to completion. I hope to help out a bit more this year in the planning stages, so I'm jumping in and starting off this thread. I'm really excited to see how Unplugged will evolve from the lessons learned from the first year!

Last year's coin was finalized on having the Liberty Bell on the face, a Catan board on the reverse, and finished with a black nickel.
kaQ9e5Bl.jpg

This year's coins from other PAX, if you're curious:
PAX Aus 2017
PAX South 2018
PAX East 2018
PAX West 2018 (still in development)

If you have any ideas for the new coin, please fill out the form I have made!
2018 PAX Unplugged Challenge Coin Idea form

Ideas unused from last year: (please still submit these using the form so I can see how much interest there is for the different designs!)
Independence Hall
Rocky Statue
Skyline

RPG Dice
Dungeon Master behind a DM Screen
Gaming Table

We wouldn't need to necessarily stick to any official rotation, but since we did a board game last year, perhaps RPGs or miniatures would be good to represent this year.

We're aiming to get the design finalized by Sept 21st, so we've got some time, but the more ideas we can bounce around, the better!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Friendly reminder ping for folks who got coins last year.

Edit: names removed to protect their identities now though.

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    I'm pretty excited for Unplugged this year, and helping with coin planning, so I made up some mockups. Please feel free to ask for some different designs or locations. There's also a suggestion form in the OP and the interest form above this post.

I made these mockups with the same black nickel metal color in mind, and I've seen now where they fill the outer band on the color coins with black, which really can make the coins pop and gives some good contrast. So I've reflected that here.

Landmark:
    XyurUwvl.jpg
    Penn Skyline

EcKY93Sl.jpg
    Skyline

pK0d7Uil.jpg
    Art Gallery

ufZiyufl.jpg
    Convention Center and Reading Terminal Market

osVV0QRl.jpg
    Merchant Exchange

gsCUH3Al.jpg
    Independence Hall

lHTOOKZl.jpg
    Reading Terminal Market

Gaming:
    eVGqNmCl.jpg
    Dice on table

6o3wmrSl.jpg
    Dice

mXukqF1l.jpg
    DM behind the screen at a table (I do not have the rights to use Matt Mercer's likeness, so we could either ask for permission, or recreate a similar scene artistically or use someone who gives us permission.)

5fGVHfjl.jpg
    DM behind the screen (I do not have permission to use his likeness, we would recreate or ask permission)

aT5TF0pl.jpg
    Tabletop Wargaming (Infinity)

Bi1QyN0l.jpg
    Tabletop Wargaming (WH40k)

Gaming - I added a 20-sided ring on the inside with numbers (as evenly distributed as I could figure out) where you could potentially spin the coin and then whichever side faces the GM would be your "roll".
    Lbtvnztl.jpg
    Dice on table

GiG2ZyDl.jpg
    Dice

ohPeDAKl.jpg
    DM behind the screen at a table (I do not have the rights to use Matt Mercer's likeness, so we could either ask for permission, or recreate a similar scene artistically or use someone who gives us permission.)

DAC4FDfl.jpg
    DM behind the screen (I do not have permission to use his likeness, we would recreate or ask permission)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of the 20 ring on the inside. I wonder how it would affect the image in the center for Kiddercorp. I also wonder if they could add a spinner like the LE pins this year

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    Which LE pins?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So quiet in here, where's all the unplugged folk?
    The Art Gallery mockup looks pretty good.
    But yeah, keeping the ring counter and getting a little spinner in the middle for the game side would be rad.

• Options
    I guess they've unplugged until closer to next PAX.

I talked briefly with akidderz and he's done a life counter type coin that has a side that turns, but it didn't spin freely. They also made some fidget spinners, so I'm working on some design ideas to see if something would maybe work. It would probably lose a bit of it's "coin" size if we went fidget spinner with it. Life counter could work though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I have requests for a Ben Franklin statue for the landmark side. There's a few options there. Any preferences?
    97ed1ae68bf944c094c6efc6f6f4e223_medium.jpg
    "Young Franklin"

6eafd2961d3c41159e51a9f4218f1d07_medium.jpg
    "Franklin on bench"

3e32fd6fff2e4afabbd4b0a84cd16786_medium.jpg
    "Franklin seated"

50bc971d07da4ee3a81f6c9389bd4260_medium.jpg
    "Franklin Institute"

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    So with last year's being the Bell, I think we should put off Independence Hall for a year or so, that way we don't have related landmarks in back to back years (as much as I would love an independence hall coin). With both Prime/West and East having done a convention center coin I think that might be cool to complete the set.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The convention center picture I chose highlights the Reading Terminal Market, but we could do something more centered on the center itself, like below.

property-of-tvsdesign-2.jpg?1441306980
    Front glass entrance

nwpaconventioncenterx1200-1-768x432.jpg
    Named entrance

Grand-Hall-Loftland-1-cc3a66c679.jpg
    Or could go inside with the welcome hall

PAX-Unplugged-Entrance.jpg
    Or even more specific with the welcome hall branded with PAX Unplugged

AirportInterior1_12Monkeys.jpg
    It probably wouldn't show on the coin, but could go meta with the 12 Monkeys airport scene (filmed in the welcome hall)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Alright everyone, time's up. We need to keep this rolling and start making decisions for this year's coin so we can get them made and to us by Unplugged!

Firstly, we received notice from KidderCorp that costs for coins need to go up this year. So bare metal coins will cost $7 each, while colored metal coins will cost $8 each. New shipping info in the spoiler below:
    UNITED STATES RESIDENTS:
    $3 USD for 1 to 3 coins (USPS First Class Package).
    $4 USD for 4 to 6 coins (USPS First Class Package).
    $7 USD for 7+ coins (USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box) -- (exceeds the weight limit for First Class Package).

INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTS (outside of the US):
    $15 USD for 1 to 6 coins (USPS International First Class Package).
    $31 USD for 7+ coins (USPS International Priority Small Flat Rate Box) -- (exceeds the weight limit for First Class Package).

Secondly, let's choose a landmark! I'll leave up this poll for a week or so, and then we'll move on with whatever gets the most votes. Similar landmarks will be combined on the poll (ie. 1 vote for convention center, and we'll choose between possible convention center images later)

Landmark examples:
    XyurUwvl.jpg
    Skyline

EcKY93Sl.jpg
    Skyline

pK0d7Uil.jpg
    Art Gallery

ufZiyufl.jpg
    Reading Terminal Market

osVV0QRl.jpg
    Merchant Exchange

gsCUH3Al.jpg
    Independence Hall

lHTOOKZl.jpg
    Reading Terminal Market

MeSvGCyl.jpg
    Convention Center
    1903AbEl.jpg
    Convention Center
    l8Hpfopl.jpg
    Convention Center
    ldBh0kZl.jpg
    Convention Center

5XJQhpSl.jpg
    Ben Franklin
    nxurTtdl.jpg
    Ben Franklin
    bKRU4vzl.jpg
    Ben Franklin
    qzZq8CLl.jpg
    Ben Franklin

Make your choice! Fill out the poll!
    PAX Unplugged 2018 Challenge Coin Landmark Poll

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    As much as I absolutely adore the welcome hall (seriously, that place is gorgeous!) I don't think it works well on the coin. It really needs to be in a full landscape to come across well.

Also, @ArcSyn I derped and put my gamertag instead of my forum handle in the response. Sorry!

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    Results are in! The Convention Center just nudged out the Skyline for the win!
    Some close contests between some of the choices, tied or a single point decided. Grouped them below with space between the different "tiers" that showed up.
    Convention Center
    Skyline

Independence Hall
    Reading Terminal Market
    Ben Franklin

Art Gallery
    Merchant Exchange

Ok, now we need to start the next poll. What should be on the gaming side of the coin?! You tell me!
    Fill out the poll!

Below are some examples, but not final art. We're picking subject matter, not a specific image.
    Dice
    eVGqNmCl.jpg
    Dice on table

6o3wmrSl.jpg
    Dice

RPGs
    mXukqF1l.jpg

5fGVHfjl.jpg

Wargames
    aT5TF0pl.jpg
    Tabletop Wargaming (Infinity)

Bi1QyN0l.jpg
    Tabletop Wargaming (WH40k)

Card Games
    EGcCLcql.jpg
    MTG (could introduce issues with copyright, but we could try)

NwFAmgFl.jpg
    Pokemon TCG (same issues as above with copyright)

Abstract Games
    RED3dT8l.jpg
    Zendo/Pyramid Arcade

2EeV782l.jpg
    Tak

So pick your preferred gaming side representation!
    Dice
    RPGs
    Tabletop Wargames
    Card games
    Abstract games

Gaming Side Form

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    drakuldragondrakuldragon Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    whoops missed all this. but i LOVE the convention center!! just filled out the poll -crosses fingers for dice-

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

DOTS RPG Project - Guild Master Jess | @dotsrpg

• Options
    Ok, results are in! You all love Dice!

Well, not all, but it was pretty popular.
    1. Dice
    2. RPGs
    3. Abstract
    4. Card
    5. Wargames

So now we need to start breaking down what image to use for each side. Let's start with the landmark: Convention Center.

Convention Center Options:
    ufZiyufl.jpg
    Market Side

MeSvGCyl.jpg
    Front Entrance

ldBh0kZl.jpg
    Front Entrance with City Hall

1903AbEl.jpg
    Welcome Hall

ieKYq5ml.jpg
    Welcome Hall wide

l8Hpfopl.jpg
    Welcome Hall PAX Unplugged

Make your choice! Fill out the poll!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    drakuldragondrakuldragon Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    should the convention center poll still be open? its not accepting votes

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

DOTS RPG Project - Guild Master Jess | @dotsrpg

• Options
    I tallied up the results already. Working on the next poll right now for the dice image. Sorry! Give me about 10 more minutes and I should have the post and new poll ready.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    And the winner is.......
    Front Entrance with City Hall in the background!
    GkwLgTDl.png

It was a close race between that and the Market corner side. All were liked with the exception of the wide shot of the welcome hall.
    1. Front with City Hall
    2. Market
    3. PAX Welcome Hall
    4. Welcome Hall
    5. Front Entrance
    6. Wide Welcome Hall

Now it's time to pick out a gaming side winner. So how do you like your dice?

Dice Options:
    eVGqNmCl.jpg
    Multi-colored dice on table with other objects

6o3wmrSl.jpg
    Basic

AIPjAq3l.jpg
    Lots of dice 1

zHVJ2sQl.jpg
    Lots of dice 2

Here is my one concern though. If we pick one of the "Lots of colored dice" options, it may result in the coin being a printed image, rather than filled metal. This happened to South 2016's coin, and I'd rather try to avoid that. So it may be either zoomed in more, or handled differently to try and give it some more definition than just a printed image on the coin.
    South's 2016 coin looked like this:
    South2016Coin.jpg

So here's those images zoomed in, for example:
    T4tH66Kl.jpg
    Lots of dice zoomed 1

A6HalqIl.jpg
    Lots of dice zoomed 2

f4SS8Kql.jpg
    Metallic

HGRDwSJl.jpg
    PAX Purple w/ Gold

dM40Hd8l.jpg
    PAX Purple w/ White Closeup

7mbs1CSl.jpg
    PAX Purple w/ White

Hle7GFfl.jpg
    PAX Purple mixed Dice

3ixqbNpl.jpg
    PAX Dice Tray

So look them over, decide your favorites, and vote in the new poll!
    Edit: Poll will close on Aug 31st, around noon EST!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    We have made our choice!
    ::drumroll::
    ciBV6Mzl.jpg
    Purple Dice!

One final poll, then I think we're ready to send this off to the manufacturers!

During this whole process, I've put a black band around the coin. I stole this idea from East's coin this year.
    IEKAjwFl.jpg

However, this is PAX Unplugged! What if we did one of the two purple colors they use for signage (as pulled from the website)?

So, here's the vote:
    Do you want a black band, purple band, or the alternate darker purple band?
    GkwLgTDl.png
    7dXTKjtl.jpg
    PokOpiYl.jpg

I could probably ask for the dice to be colored the same shade of purple, or the opposite shade.
    ciBV6Mzl.jpg
    7fMLoi0l.jpg
    J8w5T8ml.jpg

Submit your choice by Sept 7th around noon!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I present to you, your choice of coin for the 2018 PAX Unplugged!
    PokOpiYl.jpg
    J8w5T8ml.jpg

Stay tuned. I'll be sending these off to Kidder Corp and once I hear back from them the order form will be open!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Nice, looks good! Thanks for your leadership on this ArcSyn!

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I love the border details!

• Options
    If you haven't already done so, please fill out the interest form so Kiddercorp has a good idea how many to make!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    We've got a rough draft! Please, please let me know what you think, or if you'd like to see changes, or errors ASAP!

Metal only:
    LxPvEUhl.jpg

Painted color
    Yq0suj4l.jpg

They're thinking because of the detail on the building it would look best with just the 3D metal on the front, and the purple ring. I'm thinking of maybe asking if they can work it somehow with color in the building (tan for the building and light blue glass?)
    , but last year the front was plain so we could keep it that way.

Also, they made the dice and ring the same color, translucent so it'll be darker with the black nickel showing through.
    Do you want to push for the darker people on the dice?
    Do you want the purple solid or is translucent cool? I think it might be neat.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    "Philadelphia"

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Also, I'm in favor of translucent! That sounds really cool.

I don't have an opinion on the building, but I trust the experts to say what's possible and what looks best. Though perhaps the facade could come out just a bit? The PAX East 2015 coin, which also showed the Convention Center, is a really good point of comparison.

DSCN1747.jpg

ilta on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    By "come out" you mean overlap the outside band?

The biggest struggle with that is how much is there this year, since Philadelphia is such a long city name and the date spans two months.

Also, thank you for spotting that spelling error!

Edit: Thoughts on asking for the dice numbers to be painted white? I think it might help them stand out.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    No, I mean a bit of relief 3dness. Not necessarily sticking way out in a proportional-to-its-relationship to the viewer way, but just "building stands out a bit from the background". Like, notice that the far corner of the BCEC is raised from the surface just as much as the closer corner.

I agree that the borders are a bit texty. You could do "Phillie, PA" or even just "Philadelphia" (it's not like there's another Philadelphia in some other state). You could also remove the "0" from Dec, and even try 11/3 - 12/2, but that's kind of ugly.

White numbers on the dice could be cool, if they are confident they can nail the linework consistently!

• Options
    Ok, need your help on making a decision!
    I'd like to get back to them with our final requests and/or decision by Friday, so we can get this coin into production soon.
    I got this back from them after asking for a few changes. The spelling has been corrected and they will color the dice numbers white so it stands out better against the dark purple.
    VVx87dvl.jpg
    Here is the issue with the building: generally speaking we can do 3D or paint - but not both. Paint is normally enamel on something like this and it would cover all the 3D details. We prefer to do the 3D metal, since it allows a higher level of detail than a simplified painted version.

We can do a thin layer of translucent paint over the windows - but not over the other parts of this and still have the details show through clearly.

What our artist is suggesting instead (mostly 3D metal with a section painted) is what we recommend.

So here's what I need your opinion on, especially from those of you who want color coins: Do you want just 3D metal for the building (image in previous post), this hybrid with the glass colored, or ask them to scrap the 3D metal and do a flat building that can be colored?
    PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR OPINION!

Please answer by/on Friday! I will respond to them Friday afternoon so the final artwork can be started Monday of next week.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MicromedicMicromedic Registered User new member
    It looks great. :) I know I'm jumping into the conversation a bit late but I think the colored glass is a nice touch on the painted coin. It really helps set that side of the coin apart from the metal only coin.

• Options
    Ok, just to keep everyone informed. The overwhelming response was to just keep the building in metal, rather than try and paint just the glass or the whole building. In fact, no one at all wanted the whole building painted apparently.

So I've gone ahead and responded and asked for the final production ready artwork to be completed and hopefully we can move forward towards getting these made! Currently, if estimated schedules are correct, we should be able to ship the first batch of these coins to you a week or two before PAX.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    thanks for continuing this :)

• Options
    ddanjddanj Leader-kun EdoRegistered User regular
    Look good! How do I purchase these?

• Options
    I'm waiting for the proof back from Kiddercorp, then the order form will be made and posted. I'll let you know as soon as I get it!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Update: Received the production artwork, which has some errors on it. I have submitted for the corrections to be made this morning, so hopefully I'll get back the desired artwork by the end of the week. We're a bit behind where I want to be with this right now, but I'm still hopeful we'll have our coins before PAX.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    We have production proofs! I want to get back to Kiddercorp today, so if anyone can look these over real quick and just confirm that everything looks ok, I would appreciate it. I've gone over them, but always good to have multiple sets of eyes.
    KhNQrLpl.jpg

nImcisSl.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I still think "DEC 02" looks weird and would prefer "DEC 2", but maybe that's just me. Otherwise these look great and I can't wait to order my sets! Thanks again for all your hard work on this.

• Options
    I'm fine with 02 :o

• Options
    Just checked the proofs - look good to me 8-)