As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited November 2018 in Games and Technology
verwatch.jpg

Overwatch is Blizzard's first person shooter that launched in 2016 for PC PS4, and Xbox one. Overwatch launched with 21 Heroes and have added 7 since.

Since its launch, OW has been the center of attention of Esports and casuals alike. Sporting built in ranked play, players have participated in competitive leagues on many levels. On goers from across the world have watched professional tournaments take place on Blizzcon, Blizzard Entertainment's yearly convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp8fpePJsIE

A new hero, the shotgun wielding southerner Ashe has been added to the game.

Here is the google doc for PA players.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    A DC team makes sense, we're loyal to multiple teams that suck ass, so it's okay if they screw up and build their team around Zebbosai or something

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    There's been a new thread since the 2nd?!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Chance wrote: »
    There's been a new thread since the 2nd?!

...THEY HAY-TIN'

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Pulling this over from the last thread:
    Kana wrote: »

8 new teams officially announced

3 Chinese teams - Chengdu, Guangzhuo, Hangzhuo

Paris

3 East Coast teams - Toronto, DC, Atlanta

Vancouver BC

Those chinese teams feel like lambs going to the slaughter if Shanghai was any indication.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm excited for expansion. I only worry that they're expanding way too fast. Eight new teams in one season?! I guess it's sort of expected when the league is brand new, but... that's a lot of new teams.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Also they need to fix Hamzo, he's still running riot and becoming as ridiculous as Mercy 2.0. Either actually fix the netcode so he's not getting benefit of the doubt with firing tree logs or remove crit shots from spam arrow.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Also they need to fix Hamzo, he's still running riot and becoming as ridiculous as Mercy 2.0. Either actually fix the netcode so he's not getting benefit of the doubt with firing tree logs or remove crit shots from spam arrow.

No crit from fan the arrows i can get behind.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just make Hanzo and Widow play with headshot only mode on all the time

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Pulling this over from the last thread:
    Kana wrote: »

8 new teams officially announced

3 Chinese teams - Chengdu, Guangzhuo, Hangzhuo

Paris

3 East Coast teams - Toronto, DC, Atlanta

Vancouver BC

Those chinese teams feel like lambs going to the slaughter if Shanghai was any indication.

Pretty much everyone agrees that even if you wanted to build an all-Chinese team, Shanghai didn't pick the best players possible. Now that the Dragons have dumped nearly their entire roster, it's pretty clear they've learned their lesson and I doubt the others will follow in their footsteps. Hopefully this means we'll see them all be a little more competitive (although I'd still be surprised to see them near the top of the heap next season).

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    there are Actually good chinese players, just look at the world cup team last year or the chinese contenders scene now

here's a thread detailing SHD's issues, if you're interested

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Humble Bundle Monthly is Overwatch.

Guess I’ll get another copy and do some competitive calibration. Who’s with me?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'd totally be down but I already have a second account, and that grind to level 25 kinda sucks

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

For the record, he actually has the smallest projectiles in the game. Meanwhile, Zen has the biggest (balls).

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Symmetra's right clicks are now pretty extreme as size goes.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I'm excited for expansion. I only worry that they're expanding way too fast. Eight new teams in one season?! I guess it's sort of expected when the league is brand new, but... that's a lot of new teams.
    Well last I heard they're halving the number of games each team plays, so they need to pick up the slack. It seems to me they're pushing the esports too hard and, as much as I enjoy playing the game, Overwatch isn't even a good esport, but IDK. I'm not the multi-billion dollar corporation

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Maybe it's just the spectator mode or the camera work but it's really dry watching Overwatch on a professional level. It could also be the highly optimized meta without many interesting working strategies.

E-Sports casters usually sort of pop up organically and here it feels so forced. I watched maybe 3 games and felt done with the season. Alternatively I can always turn on a Beyond the Summit re-stream and be interested for a little bit and I haven't played DOTA 2 in 4 years.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah less games per team, but more games overall. I think it's a good move, adds a little more importance to each matchup, and hopefully increases the standard of play even higher, while reducing player burnout.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Maybe it's just the spectator mode or the camera work but it's really dry watching Overwatch on a professional level. It could also be the highly optimized meta without many interesting working strategies.

E-Sports casters usually sort of pop up organically and here it feels so forced. I watched maybe 3 games and felt done with the season. Alternatively I can always turn on a Beyond the Summit re-stream and be interested for a little bit and I haven't played DOTA 2 in 4 years.

I'm not sure what part of the season you watched, but there were a lot more viable comps by the end of the season, and assuming things stay mostly the same by the time next season rolls around, we're in arguably the most varied meta the game has ever seen.

As far as the casters go, it doesn't seem any more forced than other sports, but I also don't really watch any other esports (DOTA for example is completely inscrutable and uninteresting to me) so I can't really say much there.

That being said, if it's not your thing it's not your thing. As a big fan of the game itself, I thought the first season of OWL was pretty kickass overall and am definitely looking forward to season 2.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Carried over from the last thread.
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Edit: also @-Loki- - do you ever go DPS in comp?

I’m still under rank 25. Hit 21 last night. I’ll be jumping into comp as soon as I hit 25.

I had my history of zero experience (and thus confidence and ability!) with multiplayer shooters, so I mained Mercy for at least the first two seasons with a bit of tank flex here and there. I never pulled my Tracer in comp until, one day in like season 3, I was the Mercy who watched her team split up and die repeatedly on Lijiang (back when control maps were best of five), and the entire team switched to DPS. I went from 0 elims to silver - our Soldier who'd been Soldier all game got 56 elims, and I got silver with 49 by playing as Tracer for the last 3 rounds.

It took a disaster for me to even try DPS as a desperation move, and discover I could actually get work done in comp with her.

What I'm sayin' is, don't wait for a disaster match to see if playing DPS is an effective path to victory. Might be that's what you're best at.

I play DPS and Tank pretty regularly. My problem is a lot of the DPS characters don't do it for me. I either don't enjoy playing them or I suck at playing them. Any that use melee are just out - I hate melee from first person. I like Soldier though, probably because like I said before, he's like playing a normal military FPS. At some point I'll probably pick one and learn it. Both Symmetra and Pharah look fun.

• Options
    Alex175Alex175 Registered User regular
    The only bad thing that I can criticize of Overwatch at the moment is that Blizzard has declared that it does not have between its plans to take a version of Ovewatch to Nintendo Switch (for now)

• Options

I’m still under rank 25. Hit 21 last night. I’ll be jumping into comp as soon as I hit 25.

I had my history of zero experience (and thus confidence and ability!) with multiplayer shooters, so I mained Mercy for at least the first two seasons with a bit of tank flex here and there. I never pulled my Tracer in comp until, one day in like season 3, I was the Mercy who watched her team split up and die repeatedly on Lijiang (back when control maps were best of five), and the entire team switched to DPS. I went from 0 elims to silver - our Soldier who'd been Soldier all game got 56 elims, and I got silver with 49 by playing as Tracer for the last 3 rounds.

It took a disaster for me to even try DPS as a desperation move, and discover I could actually get work done in comp with her.

What I'm sayin' is, don't wait for a disaster match to see if playing DPS is an effective path to victory. Might be that's what you're best at.

I play DPS and Tank pretty regularly. My problem is a lot of the DPS characters don't do it for me. I either don't enjoy playing them or I suck at playing them. Any that use melee are just out - I hate melee from first person. I like Soldier though, probably because like I said before, he's like playing a normal military FPS. At some point I'll probably pick one and learn it. Both Symmetra and Pharah look fun.

Pharah can do tons of work up to the highest SR ^.^ NuSym needs a lot of coordination to really shine, but she can still get stuff done solo - she just becomes super-strong with tele coordination.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Alex175 wrote: »
    The only bad thing that I can criticize of Overwatch at the moment is that Blizzard has declared that it does not have between its plans to take a version of Ovewatch to Nintendo Switch (for now)

Paladins on Switch (which is free to play) scratches that itch pretty thoroughly, at least for me.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Pharah can do tons of work up to the highest SR ^.^ NuSym needs a lot of coordination to really shine, but she can still get stuff done solo - she just becomes super-strong with tele coordination.

The few times I've played Pharah I've enjoyed it. Between D'Va, Mercy and Pharah, I guess I like flying?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    pharah's definitely fun, i only play her once in a while every here and there now just cos i'm more comfortable/experienced with my tank and support roster, but she was the first 'main' i had back when i first got the game

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

The few times I've played Pharah I've enjoyed it. Between D'Va, Mercy and Pharah, I guess I like flying?

Guess you've found your main hero in every slot. Congrats!

Btw, my three faves are Doomfist, Wrecking Ball and Lucio, and you just helped me realise something...

Call me Buzz Lightyear because I'm all about falling, with style.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Humble Bundle Monthly is Overwatch.

Guess I’ll get another copy and do some competitive calibration. Who’s with me?

Question -- should I get a _first_ copy? I know this thread is probably pretty much pro-Overwatch, but I don't know if it makes sense for me.

I have basic competence at FPS's (beat the serious sam's, dooms, the recent wolfensteins, borderlands, etc, though only on 'normal'), but I have fairly limited gameplaying time these days so I'm not going to get to any sort of competitive-against-other-people level any time soon, and I don't have the time to commit to playing with a group so I'm a bit wary of a game that seems to be team-based. Is it still worth trying to play with this much of a casual approach? (both as far as 'will I enjoy it', and 'will I annoy other people online by not being any good'?)

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Proobably.

I solo'd most of my early time with the game while I learned the ropes and had a great time.

Edit:
    'will I enjoy it',

Very likely, yes.
    and 'will I annoy other people online by not being any good'?)

Very likely, yes - but anyone familiar with Overwatch forums knows that being infuriated by one's teammates is an integral part of the experience, and you'd be an important part of that.

For my part, I stuck exclusively to no-aim-required heroes while I learned the maps and did my best to help, and went on zany tangents with DPS heroes when I felt like everyone else on my team was as clueless as I was.

So yeah I say give it a shot and don't sweat it too much ^.^

Chance on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    If all you want to do is jump in and shoot shit by yourself, Quickplay is just fine. It’s free so just install it and give it a go.

Speaking of which, how do you gift Blizzard keys? When I got Destiny 2 I had to link my account.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Noticed I struggle to get back to my average 6k healing as Mercy, usually around 5k now. Then I remembered her healing dropped from 60 to 50 per second.

Well that explains it.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I went up 100 SR as Doomfist.

Tipsy.

Drunken fist.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Had some great games today. One on Hollywood where I went 0 deaths, 4K heal and got a 5 person killstreak as well.

Another where I was dropped in with 5 totally new players, all rank 1-2. Guessing they got it from this months Humble. First of three games we got hammered. Next round I just gave them the advice of taking the objective and not spreading out.

They actually listened and we took the objective and held it to 75%, then wiped.i retreated to spawn and when they all came out I told them to group up and push as a team. Popped Valkyrie and we retook the objective for the win. Third game was much the same but they couldn’t get coordinated near the end, and had a real close loss.

It’s nice when people listen.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Cantido wrote: »
    I went up 100 SR as Doomfist.

Tipsy.

Drunken fist.

I (kinda) know the feeling. After a night of really shitty losses, when my OW buddies had gone to sleep and I should have too, I said "Fuck it, I'm going to play Doomfist and do dumb aggressive shit like all these other dumb dps players who constantly feed and yet inexplicably have the same rank as me and I'll see what happens.

Well, I won 7 games in a row, and the winning only stopped when I absolutely had to go to sleep. I still don't know what all of that means. It could be that Doomfist is a really good hero to make bad decisions with. I'm not sure.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A new Overwatch thread? I must bless it with its first

Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

Swarm

Tank Hero

During the environmental disturbances of the early aughts, researchers determined that maintaining a proper standard of living (or, y'know, a functioning food pipeline at all) would require that natural pollinators be augmented or, if necessary, replaced entirely with Omnic substitutes. During the Omnic Crisis, these small insectoid robots were imbued with a collective consciousness. Now they roam the earth, seeking to become the dominant form of life by any means necessary.

The Swarm has a roughly Roadhog-sized hitbox comprised of a frothing mass of robot bees. Its central hive is barely visible from the front, and the opening in the middle serves as the character's critbox.

900 HP, no armor.

Passive Ability 1: Free Flight. Hold space to rise upward slowly; release to descend.

Passive Ability 2: Rage of the Hive. When Swarm loses health, it gains Ultimate charge.

Primary Fire: Harvester
    - Shoots out slow-moving drones to attack enemies.
    - Target is decided by picking from random visible enemies in the direction of fire.
    - Each drone homes in on the enemy by flying in a straight line.
    - If the drone collides with a surface, it returns to the Swarm having accomplished nothing.
    - Each drone deals a minuscule amount of damage on impact.
    - Each drone that successfully causes damage returns to the Swarm and restores an equally minuscule amount of HP.

Secondary Fire: Ally Cover
    - Click and hold to distribute drones to allies within 15 meters.
    - Defense drones form a shield around covered allies.
    - Damage to shielded allies is reduced by 20%.
    - Each time damage is reduced, Swarm loses HP equal to the reduction in damage.
    - This loss of HP by Swarm does not count as damage inflicted by the enemy.

Shift Skill: Reclamation
    - Swarm's hitbox doubles in radius.
    - Bullets and explosives that strike Swarm's hitbox during Reclamation are destroyed. (Same effect as D.Va's Defense Matrix.)
    - Any damage that would have been inflicted by a destroyed projectile heals Swarm instead.
    - Lasts 3 seconds, cools down for 8-10 seconds.

E Skill: Dragnet
    - Shoots out a ball comprised of drones to form a photonic web at the point of impact.
    - Enemies in the area of effect are slowed to half speed for 3 seconds.
    - Cools down in 8-10 seconds.
    - Alternative cooldown: cools down in 3 seconds, but costs 50 HP each use.

Ultimate Skill: Solar Cannon
    - Locks aim and charges for about half a second, then fires a laser a bit narrower than Coalescence lasting about a second and a half.
    - Damage is enough to kill a squishy if they remain in the beam for its full duration.
    - Like Tracer's Pulse Bomb, a weak but very rapidly-charging Ultimate. Intended for use in combination with Dragnet as Swarm's primary means of inflicting spike damage.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kratos throwing his axe around in GoW4 looked fun. How about a new hero that throws a hammer or axe and can only emote until it returns to their hand?

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    A new Overwatch thread? I must bless it with its first

Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

Swarm

So basically this guy:

ib0ffsemaem5.png

Which I am a 1,000,000% behind.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Hm, the Dva challenge ends in a few days; it's only 8 more wins to get all the rewards. I should play some quickplay; I wonder why I haven't in a while."
    *Game crashes the windows desktop upon opening*
    *Game loads no models or HUD for the first minute of the match*
    *Match involves nobody wanting to play healers or tank, most people leave halfway through, we lose before even touching the first point*
    *I get a meaningless Sportsmanship commendation despite pessimistic on the end screen*
    "Oh right. That's why."

• Options
    I kinda' wonder if folks feelings about Overwatch would improve if they played it on console. Don't get me wrong, we have the occasional troll or 12 year old or toxic douche in voice, but I really get the sense that the overall experience is more pleasant than on PC.

• Options
    I mean if you're worried about disappointing your teammates, just walking towards the objective automatically puts you above like half of the people in quick play...

This discussion has been closed.