As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meownster Hunter: World - Out now!

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think I can go back to old style MH games after World

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think I can go back to old style MH games after World

I was thinking the same thing... But then I remembered Barioth is in this one. Yeah, I'll pick this up day one.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I think I'll wait and see what comes out on E3, if there's plans to add a bunch to World when the PC version drops or not. If World kind of goes stale, then maybe I'll pick up this

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Well, there's still three planned monsters to come out yet, which actually brings us to august.

I very much doubt they aren't going to be doing some work for world, in this time of games as services and world being their best selling game ever.

• Options
    oh shit, what if they do an event in augest with adding one of generation's flagship monsters?

that'd be cool. and then they could be like "fight this guy and more, in this different game!" and then i don't buy it because i am not going back to throwing tracking paint at monsters.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I’ll probably pick it up since the biggest barrier to enjoying previous MH games was the controls.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The skills on Bloodlust Diablos armor sound well out there. The ability to get powerful criticals when you have negative affinity? Yes ma'am

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Man is going from world to frontier going to make the skeleton issue obvious

There is a rad owl in that game that doesnt share it skeleton with anything

And the bear and bunny skeletons!

And that weird ass crab!

And maybe seltas queen????

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I love that owl. It's one of my favourite monsters.

(until I actually fight it and it annoys the heck out of me)

• Options
    Between the different styles for the weapons (especially Valor I suppose), the enormous monster roster, and the (compared to World) reduced focus on environmental interactions, this game looks almost more like an action game. World already kind of has that impression, but the different styles feel like there'd be a lot more depth to plumb if you were big on those sorts of systems.

Is that about right?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    monster hunter is an action game series............

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Sorry, I phrased that badly. What I mean is that, with World being my first real experience with Monster Hunter, Generations Ultimate looks like it pares down the non-combat parts of the game while amping up the complexity of the combat system and enemy variety, so at first glance it seems like it leans harder into its combat components. You could, in theory, get more mechanics-based learning and satisfaction out of Generations Ultimate than World.

Is that in the right neighborhood?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Sorry, I phrased that badly. What I mean is that, with World being my first real experience with Monster Hunter, Generations Ultimate looks like it pares down the non-combat parts of the game while amping up the complexity of the combat system and enemy variety, so at first glance it seems like it leans harder into its combat components. You could, in theory, get more mechanics-based learning and satisfaction out of Generations Ultimate than World.

I would say the opposite

world streamlined almost everything so its MOSTLY combat and doing cool shit

in Gen you will be abusing monster turns, broken hitboxes, odd elemental weakspots and broken motion values

the monster variety is huge, but i find worlds monsters much much much more dynamic and fun to fight against

the styles system looks/feels extremely deep on paper, but what it really is is finding the most abusable move per style and spamming that (hello striker lance charge, or aerial Swagaxe launches)

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    That makes me not want GU

So, thank you I think?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    i mean im still going to play it

and theres a MHXX demo on switch jpn store if you want to see how much you like it

i just wish i could transfer my 3ds xx character to switch GenU

maybe someone will build a program

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i mean im still going to play it

and theres a MHXX demo on switch jpn store if you want to see how much you like it

i just wish i could transfer my 3ds xx character to switch GenU

maybe someone will build a program

i'd imagine that's within the realm of possibility. at least you can back up your 3ds files for some future date when somebody does this

• Options
    oh im backed up alright

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    oh im backed up alright

cut back on the dairy then

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCb9mzozf2E

speaking of cutting back on dairy, here's some heartburn

• Options
    The armour and weapons for this update sound fucking awesome

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I would say the opposite

in Gen you will be abusing monster turns, broken hitboxes, odd elemental weakspots and broken motion values

the monster variety is huge, but i find worlds monsters much much much more dynamic and fun to fight against

the styles system looks/feels extremely deep on paper, but what it really is is finding the most abusable move per style and spamming that (hello striker lance charge, or aerial Swagaxe launches)

isn't this all of monster hunter ever if you're min/maxing your play? in world SnS is just backhop spam, GL just mashes out full burst, Bow is Dragon Piercer all day, DB is mash out devil dance as much as possible, CB just spams SAED over and over, etc.

and then you can ignore most of that and just do what you want usually.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Is anyone else playing this on Steam?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Knight_ wrote: »

I would say the opposite

isn't this all of monster hunter ever if you're min/maxing your play? in world SnS is just backhop spam, GL just mashes out full burst, Bow is Dragon Piercer all day, DB is mash out devil dance as much as possible, CB just spams SAED over and over, etc.

and then you can ignore most of that and just do what you want usually.

not really. at least not at high level play

you're going to be doing power shot/spread shot combos with elemental bows + rathalos mastery. GL is also not completely accurate, that's only if you're using a normal lvl4 shelling GL. wide and long have different playstyles

edit: gosh didn't realize how old the post was I was responding to. ignore me, I'm a jackass.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    @Weaver I play the Steam version. I've slowed down a bit since finishing the story but I keep going back intermittently.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    So they announced a bunch of stuff for console today, including:

A one Year Event featuring a seasonal event type situation

Arch Tempered Kulve Taroth, now with even more random rewards!

a Witcher 3 Cross over (details coming soon!)

Arch Tempered Nergigante coming this spring! and that will be the final title update until

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn

which is what they are calling the expansion that adds a new map, monsters, and G rank. but that's not coming out until autumn of 2019.

that last bit and AT nerg being the last update was kind of a downer, even though I am actually excited about the withcer thing, and G rank being confirmed. I just have a hard time caring about the arch tempered monsters, at all.

i'm going to do AT kulve, unless the new gunlances suck, but that's just because i'm a sucker. and I want to see what the KT gamma armour does, since the base set is kind of just a smattering of skills, i want to see what they can do with it.

• Options
    I wonder if the Witcher crossover will add a monster. It certainly seemed like that was getting more effort into it than the DMC and Mega Man ones.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I need to get back to MHW!

• Options
    I sure as hell hope if it adds a monster it is a griffin.

i doubt it, as they probably would have shown that, but i would be excited as heck.

• Options
    I see lots of folks saying that the monster teased at the end is one Nargacuga, who is apparently popular

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I see lots of folks saying that the monster teased at the end is one Nargacuga, who is apparently popular

it's that or barioth. though Nargacuga uses a lot of the same animations as barioth and tigrex, both of those are snow area monsters.

So i am expecting those.

I'm sure they will be teasing monsters in the summer.

• Options
    BRING BACK QURUPECO

ALSO GREAT JAGGI

ALSO ALSO GREAT WROGGI

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    I have a better idea, don't.

Bring back Brachydios and glavenus. we need more brute wyverns.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Barioth armor and weapons are aesthetically pleasing to me. But MHW has issues with weapon designs being bland.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    bring me only the stupidest looking of monster hunter monsters

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh shit an expansion is just what I need to get me back into the game.

• Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    bring me only the stupidest looking of monster hunter monsters

I already said Qurupeco!!

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    They're not going to add new skeletons and animations, ever, sorry.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Those eyes at the end scream Nargacuga to me, but I'm hoping for Barioth too. It's my favorite monster.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    They're not going to add new skeletons and animations, ever, sorry.

is that on record, because i would wager with a paid expansion they would be willing to do so, specially 21 months after launch.

also the fact that the trailer has nargaguga, they're certainly adding new animations.

Melding on