As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Give it time, you're right behind where I'm at

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Got to the part you mentioned, and I agree with your comment.

Nice Easter Egg with the mention of
    Karla Sofen
    regarding the white spider symbol.

edited September 2018
    Well it takes a bit of getting used to (I keep hitting R1 to Zip but it's L2+R2, and a bit imprecise when freerunning) I'd hazard to say this is maybe the most satisfying swinging in any Spidey game

Played quite a bit but can't wait to start getting more suits unlocked

It feels like a mash up of Arkham games and the Prototype series. I love that you can unlock air tricks too, I'll never stop backflipping now. Also this passes my biggest spidey game test: can you hang upside down from the web?

Local H Jay on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I've played about an hour. You can tell they put a LOT of work into making the web swinging feel awesome, and it works great.

As a programmer, I seriously want to know how they programmed this combat and this camera because HOLY SHIT HOW DID THEY DO THAT

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I get back from work in about 8 hours when I can finally play this, but I'm going to go ahead and ask; is it possible to do a full loop the loop while web swinging?

That was a personal favourite in 2, as you needed to build up a lot of speed and get the angle just right. And it was completely pointless aside from just feeling awesome.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Basically as long as you hold on to R2 and you don't collide with anything with your body, the web will hold strong. I haven't tried to do the full loop but I'm almost positive you can. Like you can cast a long web and swing fully around a building and the line will get shorter as you go.

I initally had some trouble getting him to wallrun but I found just letting go of the web and re-pressing R2 at speed along a wall would more reliably trigger it.

Also I gotta say they nailed NY. I know it's a common setting for open world games but each area is distinct and Times Square (often the most awful looking area of any NY game map) looks great. Chinatown, too.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    2 early game questions:

What exactly is the combo to swing people into walls? I know it starts by hold triangle, and that's what I'm trying to do, but it whiffs so often and I don't know why.

How exactly do you smoothly do stunts in webswinging? The prompt said L3 then hold Triangle+Circle (which is enough of a hassle on its own) and while it does stunt it also kills all my momentum and makes my camera go crazy.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    After a few hours of play, I think the Giant Bomb guys reflect my thoughts about this game pretty well in their quick look. It's an open world collectathon. It has Arkham Combat. It doesn't do anything particularly new or amazing, you've seen all of this before. It's also the best Spider-Man game I've ever played.

So I think it hits right where Horizon Zero Dawn hits for me. A great example of an open world collectathon done right, but it's not breaking any new ground here. It also gives you a reason to do the open world stuff without forcing you to do it like Assassin's Creed does.

A+, I'm going to enjoy this one a lot.

Edit: Oh, and the web swinging is amazing. It feels really fun to travel through the world, which is great because you're going to be doing that a lot.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    2 early game questions:

What exactly is the combo to swing people into walls? I know it starts by hold triangle, and that's what I'm trying to do, but it whiffs so often and I don't know why.

How exactly do you smoothly do stunts in webswinging? The prompt said L3 then hold Triangle+Circle (which is enough of a hassle on its own) and while it does stunt it also kills all my momentum and makes my camera go crazy.

Don't hit L3, that starts a dive to build speed, just hold triangle and circle and move the left stick U/D/L/R

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Behold! The best worst Easter egg!

https://goo.gl/images/76B1zn

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    That seems like a little bit of a stretch, finger guns are a pretty ubiquitous gesture.

Also this game is AWESOME. Haven't played a lot but the swinging feels super great and the quips! oh the quips!
    Very early:
    "Don't forget the hyphen between spider and man!" and "Should we kiss now?" when they're both hanging upside down. Tremendous.

Also, SPIDER COP

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    It's not really clicking for me so far. Combat feels awkward, not as slick as Arkham, and the city is quite bland. It doesn't help that the game throws a LOT of shit and mechanics at you really fast in the early stages. That said I felt the same way for the first few hours of GoW and I ended up adoring it, so I'll keep going...

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Wow.

The rooms behind windows aren’t just textures or a block of white light. They actually rendered the interiors. All of them. Pretty cool!
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Also, SPIDER COP
    Part Man
    Part Spider
    ALL COP

President Evil on
    Spaffy wrote: »
    It's not really clicking for me so far. Combat feels awkward, not as slick as Arkham, and the city is quite bland. It doesn't help that the game throws a LOT of shit and mechanics at you really fast in the early stages. That said I felt the same way for the first few hours of GoW and I ended up adoring it, so I'll keep going...

Combat works better when you stop trying to play it like an Arkham game

Dodge is not a counter, it's more for area control.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Dodging is somewhat contextual as well. Press dodge next to a wall and you'll jump off of it a and hitting square right after bounces Spidey into an enemy.

Yeah. If you're close to an attacking enemy when dodging you do the slide under them, which is almost like a counter but not quite.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I think Spidey has a lot more going on in his combat repertoire compared to Batman. I feel a lot more engaged by it. I would do everything possible to avoid direct fights in Arkham because I never really enjoyed it, but I have no issues running straight into the line of fire in Spider-Man.

Edit: I do think it has more of a learning curve before it starts to click though.

Dirty on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I love this game. I haven't played a collect-a-thon for a while, and this is tickling some good buttons. I've had it crash three times though, all when looking through the in game menus looking at upgrades. Anyone else seeing instability?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'm really loving the game so far. For one thing, the world feels really solid. It's interesting to see Pete working with Otto on science stuff, and JJJ becoming an angry news podcaster feels very much like a natural progression of his character, weird as that sounds to say. The stealth is real good; planning out takedowns feels real nice (and is a perfect place to use the Noir costume). A lot of the mechanics feel straight out of Arkham City, up to and including the jump-from-zip that keeps your momentum going. Batman and Spiderman really seem to mesh well in terms of mechanics.

Also, I love some of the little things. Spidey's Twitter feed is always good for a laugh; I just saw a tweet where a mother was pissed that Spidey let her kid's balloon fly away.

By the way, the power that the Scarlet Spider costume unlocks creates holographic copies of Spidey. That's a hilarious reference to the Clone Saga, I think.

Is it just me, though, or is the Web Blossom suit power... really OP? It basically defeats entire fights in one shot.

Enlong on
    The combat is so deeply satisfying when you get the hang of it. Web up a guy, launch him up, swing kick him away, web zip to him to punch, punch, finisher suplex him into the ground. You can be so mean to these guys. My new favorite mod is the one that instantly webs badguys when you do a perfect dodge.

Also the city looks so badass at night

The combat is so deeply satisfying when you get the hang of it. Web up a guy, launch him up, swing kick him away, web zip to him to punch, punch, finisher suplex him into the ground. You can be so mean to these guys. My new favorite mod is the one that instantly webs badguys when you do a perfect dodge.

Also the city looks so badass at night

Yeah, the perfect dodge is great. And I'm glad there's an upgrade to extend the timing on it.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The combat was really throwing me for a loop until I stopped trying to make it be Arkham and actually paid attention to how the combat works (it was difficult, because I played the shit out of the first couple of Arkham games, so there was a fair bit of muscle memory to override).

The big, big difference is that the Arkham system is very discrete in where attacks go and which actions counter which attacks; it's basically a high-speed rock-paper-scissors. Learning what beats what takes a while to get it down to reflex but once you do, you're invincible. If somebody attacks you and you attack in the opposite direction or use the wrong attack/counter type, you're almost certainly going to get hit. If you counter, you will land a perfect hit. Gadgets either increase how many enemies you can fight at once or are used to counter new enemy types.

The combat system here is similar, but the big difference is that it isn't discrete like that. Getting out of the way of attacks can be done a few different ways, enemy attacks don't home in nearly as well, and there is a lot less of the situation where an enemy will ignore anything but the one specific attack it is weak to. In that sense, the combat is actually more flexible than in the Arkham games; some guy comes at you with a shield or melee weapon and you can quickly get to attacking them without needing to use something like a charged-up combo-powered special or a very, very specific counter. And use those gadgets! Even using the basic web shot is extremely useful, as it recharges quickly and webs up enemies so you can sling them around or pin them to walls.

The combat is also MUCH more mobility-oriented that the Arkham games, and that was a definite hurdle to get over (especially since you actually have to control that movement yourself). For the Arkham games, you would rarely be attacking an enemy further than 10-15 feet away and the movement is baked into the attacks; the further away an enemy, the further Batman's attack will go to home in on them. This combat system doesn't do that, UNLESS you specifically use the triangle web-zip kick; if an enemy is too far away, you will NOT hit them with a basic melee attack. There is basically no downside to using the web-zip attack to open a combo, so getting into the habit of always using it to close on an enemy is very useful. If you want to go punch those assholes shooting rockets from a hundred feet away, you have to actually navigate over to them and attack, the game system won't do it for you.

The Arkham games still have a better combat system, but what is here is still pretty dang good. It just isn't the same system, and the similarities make adjusting difficult.

My memories of Spiderman 2 are creating an interesting perspective here. I'm looking at these combat upgrades that I'll get eventually, and thinking "hey, that's a thing I had in that other game". Stuff like swinging enemies around, disarming people with webs, and that impact webbing gadget.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I've wanted this game for ages, pre-ordered it and I'd love to say it's the most amazing thing ever... BUT

it broke my PS4 :sad:

It got as far as installing and it looks like the drive has given up the ghost. I'm in the middle of re-installing a new one. I hope to be web-swinging soon!

::edit:: It's alive! New hard-drive has worked.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This game seems like it is for large TVs. Tiny text.

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Interesting. When I fired up the game this morning I had definitely lost skills I purchased last night and the skill points I used.

Also lost my preorder suits. Weird.

Edit: I fixed it by going restoring my licenses in my ps4 settings. Now the suits and skill points are back.

Tulabelle on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Man the collectathon actually works decently well here for two big reasons.

1) Traversal is fun

2) Most of the collectables are an actual currency so you always feel like you are working towards something.

The one thing I feel they fell short on is the suit mods. All the customization stuff is pretty cool except that. The problem is they have them level gated to feel like progression. But the higher level ones aren't any better, just different. So you may find your favorite combo at level 10 and literally have no reason to touch that system for the rest of the game. Which would be kinda sad. Like there are 2 of the higher level ones that I would want to try but I feel like it will just be a "that's cool back to the overall combo I like better" and use the same stuff from level 10 again.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I do have to say that the game feels a bit..small? I mean I've played quite a bit, I worked from home yesterday and took advantage of the slow day to play a lot, but in the maybe 8 or so hours of gameplay I've had, I'm at 40% game completion already. I'm sure the last bits in whatever challenge modes may arise will be more difficult, but it seems small for a collectathon. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, I kind of hated how huge AC:Origins was (and how forced into side-quests you were). So maybe this strikes a good balance.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    I do have to say that the game feels a bit..small? I mean I've played quite a bit, I worked from home yesterday and took advantage of the slow day to play a lot, but in the maybe 8 or so hours of gameplay I've had, I'm at 40% game completion already. I'm sure the last bits in whatever challenge modes may arise will be more difficult, but it seems small for a collectathon. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, I kind of hated how huge AC:Origins was (and how forced into side-quests you were). So maybe this strikes a good balance.

Yea, my question there is, is each item valued the same? If so it makes a lot of sense. Because I can land in one spot and potentially take 3 landmark pictures from a single location. And if each of those landmarks is worth the same amount of completion as another objective then it makes a lot of sense that the completion will fill up a lot faster in the beginning when you are grabbing all the easy quick bits.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am enjoying this game a lot but the crowbar dudes are kicking my ass quite often

What are the options to deal with them?

-web them up and then punch them
    -punch then slide under (does this work?)
    -throw a thing at them
    -finisher, obviously, though the control of who you attack is not very fine

For brutes it's even less, right

Like it's web them up and punch or its throw something at them, and nothing else works

These two enemy types destroy me. The brutes just keep swinging for ages and it feels like dodging an earlier attack from an another enemy still leaves me vulnerable to the brute attacks

I am enjoying this game a lot but the crowbar dudes are kicking my ass quite often

What are the options to deal with them?

-web them up and then punch them
    -punch then slide under (does this work?)
    -throw a thing at them
    -finisher, obviously, though the control of who you attack is not very fine

For brutes it's even less, right

Like it's web them up and punch or its throw something at them, and nothing else works

These two enemy types destroy me. The brutes just keep swinging for ages and it feels like dodging an earlier attack from an another enemy still leaves me vulnerable to the brute attacks

Guys with melee weapons you are supposed to launch(hold attack button) and air combo them. That is the easiest way to deal with them.

Well, new harddrive may not have completely solved the issues. I'm getting pauses now when the game is auto saving (I assume. It pauses, briefly flashes with a 'save' overlay then resumes, takes a few seconds).

New HD may need to go back

Brutes, you can deal with them easier once you get the Impact Web that can tie them up in one shot, right?

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    This game seems like it is for large TVs. Tiny text.

In the Accessibility menu there's an option to make the subtitle text larger. Assuming that's the text you're referring to you could always turn that option on.

Boo, PS4 dead again :sad:

Looks like it's a new console tomorrow. Which will probably come bundled with Spidey...

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Yeah it seems like more skills helped a lot

You don't always have time to safely launch a crowbar guy when there are tons of dudes around, but once I got the aerial pull I could just attack, hit X to leap off, and hold triangle to pull shock baton or crowbar guys into the air for an aerial combo

Also unlocking the disarm web grab made a big difference

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I was looking at some gameplay and I think you could make a pretty decent Daredevil DLC with the current mechanics involved.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I was looking at some gameplay and I think you could make a pretty decent Daredevil DLC with the current mechanics involved.

The visuals sure would be easy to make.
    B3T0.gif

Ninja Snarl P on
    Ooh. I need to get that aerial web yank skill. Gonna play the floor is lava.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Yeah it seems like more skills helped a lot

You don't always have time to safely launch a crowbar guy when there are tons of dudes around, but once I got the aerial pull I could just attack, hit X to leap off, and hold triangle to pull shock baton or crowbar guys into the air for an aerial combo

Also unlocking the disarm web grab made a big difference

The skill that does a shockwave on launch makes a huge difference in that regard too. With that, you can just wade into a huge mass, launch and chain from one to the next without worrying about getting disrupted.