As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

l_gl_g Registered User regular
edited September 2018 in Social Entropy++
As conceived in 2016 by Japanese printing press operator Harada, fighting was a gentleman's game, in which two men would square off and regale each other with stories monotonous for days on end, until one of them fell to the ground from boredom or exhaustion. Over the next few years the new sport developed a respectable following of a few hundred local socialites.

Ironically, it was Harada's son, Android 16, who developed what he called the “Dunking” strategy, in 2017, after seeing a schoolboy dunk another in anger, causing him to fall down. When Android 16 challenged the then-champion, Japanese expatriate “GO1” Bill Bishop, to a match, Bishop was the odds-on favorite. You can imagine his surprise when, while he was describing what he had had for breakfast that morning, Android 16 walked up and thumped him into ground, sending him down “for the count,” in the parlance of our time.

While it was universally agreed that the boy had violated the spirit of the game, officials were unable to find any actual rule that “Dunking” violated, and were forced to let the victory stand. This upset caused an uproar in the fighting community large enough to spill over into local newspapers, which drew the interest of many outsiders to come see what all the fuss was about. The newcomers were enthralled to engage in these borderline-barbaric displays of human strength and skill, and the rest is history -- after a few spoilsport schoolmarms single-minded about safety added the nerfs, of course.

Today's fighting enthusiasts fantasize about a newcomer that would rock the ring the way Android 16 did. Calcification of the modern rule set has essentially locked the “Dunking” strategy into place, but it's easy to get caught up in the fantasy. Young scholars with big dreams often enter the ring with their crazy new trick, usually a variant of runaway, and though they've achieved the occasional victory, none of the gimmicks have been robust enough to make it to the big time.

The real wonder, though, is that Harada's original vision of fighting is still around! Gentleman's fighting clubs can be found in cities all over the world. You can visit one most any day of the week and see two erudite gentlemen exchanging pleasantries in the ring. Most people only come to watch a few hours of a match and then leave, but every once in a while you'll find amongst your elders a stout fellow, a die-hard fan, who perhaps witnessed that historic battle between Android 16 and Bishop, who for love of the sport must stay to witness the last glorious seconds of wakefulness slip away... only to return to fight again another day.

yc33pzxj0ov9.png
image: an artist's rendition of GO1 Bill Bishop, before he was dunked, during the first actual fighting victory in recorded history

mz9zcvgpyynx.png
image: a photograph of Android 16 during the height of his popularity in the niche fighting circuit

7kgvuo9cqbpq.png
image: a fanciful portrayal of a pugilist attempting to distract her opponent with a cat. The 38 consecutive wins indicated in the image indicate that this did not happen in the contemporary setting known as "Season 2", where such a feat by this pugilist is surely impossible.

bulqlhxqyegv.png
image: an impoverished modern pugilist who aspires for relevance and renown, but who will assuredly find neither, due to the grand conspiracies against him by the rules organizer known as Woah-she-Gee, who famously stood up at an inappropriate moment when engaged in fighting.

gfektnrvu2rd.png
image: a pugilist of no repute who will be largely ignored by the masses, but continues struggling in off-Broadway fighting circuits with novel techniques such as attempting to occupy all space in the ring by himself, thus preventing his opponent from being able to move and eventually needing to admit defeat due numbness over the entire body.

jjnbtjlf2q7n.png
image: the current roster of the most well-known form fighting, which has expanded to include many of its most popular pugilists. Unfortunately, at time of publication, a number of Gokus had to be excluded. We expect this situation to be remedied in a later edition.

793igq6erphm.pngvy8biwp8ykan.png
image: a pugilist who purports to be the actual originator of "Dunking", in spite of the blatant falsity of this claim as clearly no fighting existed prior to 2016 according to all historical records. He further claims to be the originator of modern film editing with his eponymous movie, "Battleship Potemkin", a claim which has largely been verified as true by modern film historians.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
l_g on

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Is this post Frog Fractions 3

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Information for Aspiring Pugilists and Pugilist Social Clubs

Discord:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/eY5gHd4

PSN, XBL, Steam, and Other Such Modern Methods of Communication:
    henceforth

• Options
    edited September 2018
    milski wrote: »
    Is this post Frog Fractions 3

Ahem this is an entirely fact-based account of the history of fighting

Heretics and hoodlums may claim that fighting existed prior to 2016, but these people and their "Cult of the Oh-Niner" should be dismissed without a second thought.
    i love frog fractions please let me have this

l_g on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    What are your opinions on Glittermitten Grove?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    So I found a gimmicky combo ender for Shaheen that adds 5-10 damage to his juggles and can only be avoided by doing a very specific wake-up (one I didn't know existed) at a very specific time, and can only be punished by a WS 4 if you do avoid it. Am I a Tekken scientist now?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    milski wrote: »
    What are your opinions on Glittermitten Grove?

It's not a very good fighting game, but it has a lot of depth.
    Deans wrote: »
    So I found a gimmicky combo ender for Shaheen that adds 5-10 damage to his juggles and can only be avoided by doing a very specific wake-up (one I didn't know existed) at a very specific time, and can only be punished by a WS 4 if you do avoid it. Am I a Tekken scientist now?

Don't just say that and not tell us what it is!

But yes, welcome to the joys of the lab. You too have discovered the delight of experimentation and iteration!

@Knob make a prediction for Season 3 of Tekken 7 based on literally two days of Season 2 of Tekken.
    You're not allowed to say that Lars no longer has long combos from whatever that 12F move is as your guess.

@vagrant_winds tell us which of Lili or Lucky Chloe you have ultimately decided to entreat in monogamy.

@P10 i beg your approval of the new thread

@Blackbeard7 the amount of dunking in Tekken 7 is ridiculous

l_g on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Magnetism.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    l_g wrote: »

I think rumors of Shaheen's death have been greatly exaggerated, so I guess sharing some tech won't do any harm. I have no idea how common this situation is anyway, maybe every character can do it and every experienced player subconsciously defends against it.

So Shaheen's normal damage ender is db2, stance 3. If you end in db2, stance 4, they get hit with the 4 at the exact frame they fall out of the combo, which means the damage isn't nearly as scaled because the combo is over. The only way to escape it is to mash any attack button right before the final hit to do a quick side roll wake-up, which seems to be completely invulnerable. The same thing can happen with his new wall combo, 23, stance, crouch-cancel, WS 33. If your timing is perfect it's a true combo, but if you're too slow with the WS 33 and they don't mash out a quick side roll, it actually does more damage. So basically mash buttons during Shaheen's db2 combo enders and wall combos and you'll be safe.

Deans on
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Magnetism.

3u6xxgaqy1hm.png
    image: photograph of famous pugilist Magneto being defeated by Cable in MvC2: Fate of Two Sentinels. Magneto would subsequently develop a gimmick known as "Grabbity Squeeze" in order to defeat Cable's wooden gun in the subsequent season 11 years later, but by then Cable had retired from competition.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    l_g wrote: »

I think rumors of Shaheen's death have been greatly exaggerated, so I guess sharing some tech won't do any harm. I have no idea how common this situation is anyway, maybe every character can do it and every experienced player subconsciously defends against it.

So Shaheen's normal damage ender is db2, stance 3. If you end in db2, stance 4, they get hit with the 4 at the exact frame they fall out of the combo, which means the damage isn't nearly as scaled because the combo is over. The only way to escape it is to mash any attack button right before the final hit to do a quick side roll wake-up, which seems to be completely invulnerable. The same thing can happen with his new wall combo, 23, stance, crouch-cancel, WS 33. If your timing is perfect it's a true combo, but if you're too slow with the WS 33 and they don't mash out a quick side roll, it actually does more damage. So basically mash buttons during Shaheen's db2 combo enders and wall combos and you'll be safe.

Yep, other characters have options like that, too! The quick side roll is indeed special, in that it seems that there is some invulnerability during the quick side roll. But, if you have ways of convincing them that that's not the best thing to do, then you can convince them to maybe not do it once... and sometimes that's all you need to close them out with that not-real-combo option.

Some examples of these things:
    Many of Feng's combos can be ended by doing 4~3, which will deal like 20 damage on a grounded opponent. The opponent DEFINITELY wants to mash the punch buttons to sideroll out of that, because it gives Feng damage and good position afterwards. However, I've seen this end of combo hit land against good players when Yuu does it, so it's not totally fraudulent.

Josie can choose to not do one of her usual combo enders and instead do something like 1,2,4,f to get a crouch dash. If she does crouch dash 3, it will certainly hit a downed opponent for like 20 damage. But she can just choose to not do that, and crouch dash forwards and possibly get a throw or do something else against the opponent that has siderolled. If she can convince them to not do the quick side roll, she can land that crouch dash 3. At the wall, she can do a seemingly less-good option to get an u/f+3+4 which actually hits even if the opponent uses the quick side roll! Once you do this a few times your opponent will either scratch their head and wonder if they're just doing it wrong, or they will try something else... except that most of the other things they'll probably try ALSO won't work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKO8YFppNU

l_g on
  • Options
    I figured as much! Time for some more tests to see if I can turn this thing into some real oki.

Shaheen's f3+4 oki ender is a lot better now too; stance 2 beats everything other than staying down, stance 4 beats everything other than quick rise low block, toe kick, or spring kick, and all those things and more get launched by stance 3. Pretty nice.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    OP needs more gokus

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    More Gokus added.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    where's potemkin

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Still fewer Gokus than Xenoverse.
    CHjyfKW.jpg

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Claudio buffs don't seem as OP as folks were making them to be.

Seems he can do the Starburst extensions without Starburst now but for the same juggle states he still needs it active.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The non STB extensions seem to be mostly bad as well.

• Options
    It's pretty much what I expected, which is that if you don't have starburst, you get access to a weaker version of the move with less damage and without the knockdowns/juggle starters/etc. It's still more moves you have access to than before, which is good, but it's not nearly as crazy as it could've been (thank goodness).

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    where's potemkin

More potemkins added

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Justin Wong finally won a cpt premier, mostly with menat.

It was a pretty decent top 8

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Still fewer Gokus than Xenoverse.
    CHjyfKW.jpg

you're right

it needa more gokus

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    was playing a little alex and i knocked down an akuma and i jumped forward over him on his wakeup, expecting super

and it hit me anyway

glad im drinking already

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Justin Wong finally won a cpt premier, mostly with menat.

It was a pretty decent top 8

I think Menat is a really great character gameplay-wise, with the ability to do high damage anime-esque grime along with a demanding keep-out game. I almost think she should get a health/stun/both nerf, because there simply is no possibility of trading with some of her normals unlike with Dhalsim.

Of course, the great flexibility Menat has in playstyle means that she can also lame it out super hard, which is exactly what Justin will do given the option. Good on Justin for winning, though: that was not a weak field at all, and he had to beat Du in Winners and Grand Finals to do it. Du defeating EVO champ Problem X en route to the GFs meant Du was on his game, but I'm not so convinced of either Mika or Cammy in the matchup with Menat... though for all I know, Guile might have it even worse.
    Jasconius wrote: »
    was playing a little alex and i knocked down an akuma and i jumped forward over him on his wakeup, expecting super

and it hit me anyway

glad im drinking already

Sometimes I wish that the character who got the Captain Commando outfit wasn't Nash but Akuma, and if you used CapCom skin Akuma's super would turn blue like Captain Corridor.

• Options
    im indifferent to what they do with menat. i think that they and dalsim players earn every square inch they play for. i only wish they legitimize her other vt so that you had a chance of seeing something different when one takes the stage

to justin's credit he does play it a little different, using the orbs primarily as a defensive gimmick, but that may only be for the cammy matchup

supposedly she shits on Guile, and Mika offline against one of the best footsie players ever I could see as being radically difficult. Menat is the reason that Du is playing Cammy, and it did work, he forced the Karin switch

fwiw dalshim is my absolute favorite character to watch in SFV, and I hope that one sneaks into Capcom Cup again. None got that far in EVO so I don't think the internet has really gotten to see how fucking hilarious VT2 is when in the hands of professionals

I've been watching Art's stream a lot while winding down for bed, and it's just a beautiful show

• Options
    Right, I had somehow mentally blanked on that switch

Infiltration also switches to other characters in certain matchups, as well. I don't know if picking Juri is still his preference when a Rashid comes up, but that was pretty awesome every time he won that way!

Dhalsim VT2 is some Guilty Gear ish alright
    It's like a giant goofy version of a Venom billiard ball that Dhalsim can kick around for hilarious screen control or oki setups.
    There's probably still going to be instances where it, like Menat's pretend-to-be-Spiral VT, still aren't enough because I don't see either being a big help to them if they get knocked down in the corner.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    R8fz5no.jpg

Also, the new DoA6 trailer:

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    throw DoA in the trash, gimme more Samurai Spirits

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Is it true that Low Tier God doesn’t actually play low-tier characters?

That’s blatant false advertising!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nyotengu as pre-order DLC. Phase-4 with the Deluxe version only. Or sold separately I assume?

Ugh.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

DoA actually looks fun.

I mean it's probably always gonna be a titty fighter but at least they seem to be putting a bigger focus on the fighting aspects again.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Nyotengu as pre-order DLC. Phase-4 with the Deluxe version only. Or sold separately I assume?

Ugh.

KT: Better shell out extra for those waifus, fuckers!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Samsho looks like a better version of SF4's style.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

DoA actually looks fun.

I mean it's probably always gonna be a titty fighter but at least they seem to be putting a bigger focus on the fighting aspects again.

im mostly joking I just have far more attachment to samsho

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    snk is so pumped to be making video games again

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yeah.

DoA actually looks fun.

im mostly joking I just have far more attachment to samsho

I get you.

TBH I've always been a big fan of SamSho too just been decades since its last good game.

• Options
    TBH I've always been a big fan of SamSho too just been decades since its last good game.
    It's been over a decade since their last new game at all.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    noted zoning specialist dalshim, in his natural habitat

https://clips.twitch.tv/JoyousSlipperyMosquitoArgieB8

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is samurai spirits = samurai shodown?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    is samurai spirits = samurai shodown?

the trailer has nothing but samurai shodown characters in it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I haven't thought about samurai shodown in a long ass time so I don't remember any of the characters
    actually I also thought it was a capcom series

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.