As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated mediaRegistered User regular
edited January 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
Some people watch Star Trek for its optimistic view of the future, or social commentary, or charismatic characters, or its fun sense of adventure and discovery.

But the best thing about Star Trek is, of course, the soothing spaceship noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7P0q7rdBZc

https://youtu.be/UKBvaOLDem0

https://youtu.be/nQWW6ikPUq0

https://youtu.be/MuMsb4nzmis

https://youtu.be/LTdpDR2sEnM

https://youtu.be/HlmPJ8LTYe4

https://youtu.be/BkwnAIswi-w

So It Goes on

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ron Jones music'd this shindig gud

https://youtu.be/XrZ7E2WC3RI

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Not a Trek thread without this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIU3HrCCT2k

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Sorry wrong link.

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9sqkahSziU

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Ron Jones music'd this shindig gud

https://youtu.be/XrZ7E2WC3RI

That he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAGGEw4TcFY

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

I think you still got it wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmUd0zHW4w

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My husband is pretty much livid about (ds9 spoilers)
    Jadzia dying. I always felt like it was a dumb decision. Like... You save the character's life three episodes ago and now you murk her AFTER SHE ANNOUNCES SHE'S PREGNANT JESUS CHRIST UGH

I don't even know if it's a good writing decision tbh! It seems wantonly cruel to me and a real waste of an opportunity to redeem Warf as a father. Although with season 7 looming in the distance I suppose they needed to get things in order for the end of the show.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    My husband is pretty much livid about (ds9 spoilers)
    Jadzia dying. I always felt like it was a dumb decision. Like... You save the character's life three episodes ago and now you murk her AFTER SHE ANNOUNCES SHE'S PREGNANT JESUS CHRIST UGH

I don't even know if it's a good writing decision tbh! It seems wantonly cruel to me and a real waste of an opportunity to redeem Warf as a father. Although with season 7 looming in the distance I suppose they needed to get things in order for the end of the show.

i believe that occurred because of circumstances outside the writers' room

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, that whole situation stunk, but it stunk for reasons beyond it being in the script.

• Options
    Those reasons being "Terry Farrell wanted out for another gig".
    Which, IMO, did not turn out to be worth it. :/

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Eh, she got 4 seasons on Becker. It's weird to think about it now, but people did actually care about that show at the time.

It is intriguing how sci fi shows like ds9 live on so strongly in our memories while shows like Becker or HIMYM fade so quickly from view.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My mom LOVED Becker.

She's a big Ted Danson fan though and, really, how can you blame her am I right?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    How she went out sucked, but getting multiple seasons on another show was better for her than sticking with DS9 for only the last season. I really doubt the paycheck for the partial last season of a Trek series outweighed the paycheck from multiple full seasons of a show on a major broadcast network.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The questionable exit, miscommunication on the finale, and useless Trill mafia episode were all worth it for someone to finally say on screen that Klingons are fucking dipshits

Coinage on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

IIRC, she left because of a hostile work environment and sexual harassment from some of the producers/executives.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    ah, now that part I'd forgotten about. :(

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Rick Berman sexually harassed her over the course of the series but that's not why she left the show, IIRC. Her contract expired at the end of season six and she wanted a reduced number of episodes for season seven. Berman said no and refused to negotiate over it, so she left.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

IIRC, she left because of a hostile work environment and sexual harassment from some of the producers/executives.

wait what? source cause I'd love to read that. I always thought she left strictly due to landing the deal on Becker

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I would have been fine with Jadzia leaving the show, even if her death was kinda... not well done.... IF they hadn't immediately replaced her with Jadzia Lite. Not just because new Dax was annoying, but because it sucked all of the air out of what should be a big, important moment in the series where a main character we have all gotten to know over several seasons bites the dust.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Hardtarget wrote: »

wait what? source cause I'd love to read that. I always thought she left strictly due to landing the deal on Becker

I've done a little Google'ing, here's the first thing that really stands out, apparently a snippet from one of the books about the history of Star Trek (which I haven't personally read);
    The problems with my leaving were with Rick Berman. In my opinion, he’s just very misogynistic. He’d comment on your bra size not being voluptuous. His secretary had a 36C or something like that, and he would say something about “Well, you’re just, like, flat. Look at Christine over there. She has the perfect breasts right there.” That’s the kind of conversation he would have in front of you. I had to have fittings for Dax to have larger breasts. I think it was double-D or something. I went to see a woman who fits bras for women who need mastectomies; I had to have that fitting. And then I had to go into his office. Michael Piller didn’t care about those things, so he wasn’t there when you were having all of these crazy fittings with Rick Berman criticizing your hair or how big your breasts were or weren’t. That stuff was so intense, especially the first couple of years.

I started modeling when I was seventeen, so I was used to comments like that, but it was a different experience for me to be around normal, respectful people. And then he’s my boss.

According to Farrell, when her Deep Space Nine contract was expiring following the end of season six, she requested that she appear in fewer episodes, noting the sheer number of regular and recurring characters featured on the show, which would allow her to work fewer hours.

Basically he was trying to bully me into saying yes. He was convinced that my cards were going to fold and I was going to sign up. He had [another] producer come up to me and say, “If you weren’t here, you know you’d be working at Kmart.” I was, like, “What the hell are you talking about? I had a career before this. Why the hell would I be working at Kmart? Who are you?” Just to be jerky, he’d call me in my trailer: “Have you been thinking about it yet? Are you going to sign?” Like, right before I had a scene. It was that kind of thing. Rick Berman said I was hardballing him, and I was, like, “I’m not. I just want to have a conversation. You’re giving me a take-it-or-leave-it offer and I’m not okay with that.” So I finally did have a conversation with him and asked to cut down my number of episodes or just let me out.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Her quote from the 50 Year Mission is
    "The problems with my leaving were with Rick Berman. In my opinion, he's just very misogynistic. He'd comment on your bra size not being voluptuous. His secretary had a 36C or something like that, and he would say something about 'Well, you’re just, like, flat. Look at Christine over there. She has the perfect breasts right there.' That’s the kind of conversation he would have in front of you. I had to have fittings for Dax to have larger breasts. I think it was double-D or something. I went to see a woman who fits bras for women who need mastectomies; I had to have that fitting. And then I had to go into his office. Michael Piller didn't care about those things, so he wasn’t there when you were having all of these crazy fittings with Rick Berman criticizing your hair or how big your breasts were or weren't. That stuff was so intense, especially the first couple of years."
    "Basically he was trying to bully me into saying yes [to another]. He was convinced that my cards were going to fold and I was going to sign up. He had [another] producer come up to me and say, 'If you weren't here, you know you’d be working at Kmart.' I was, like, 'What the hell are you talking about? I had a career before this. Why the hell would I be working at Kmart? Who are you?' Just to be jerky, he'd call me in my trailer: 'Have you been thinking about it yet? Are you going to sign?' Like, right before I had a scene. It was that kind of thing. Rick Berman said I was hardballing him, and I was, like, 'I'm not. I just want to have a conversation. You're giving me a take-it-or-leave-it offer and I’m not okay with that.' So I finally did have a conversation with him and asked to cut down my number of episodes or just let me out."
    So you know, not Weinstein, but Berman and Rodenberry were cut from the same very gross cloth.

• Options
    jesus

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    Rick Berman is poop on fire, from his behavior to idiotic decisions with Trek.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Maybe when Berman dies we can get Shatner to host Chaos on the Promenade.

I hate shit like that so much but it's especially bullshit after TNG finally managed to turn Troi from a sex object to a person. Like hi half the point of Trek is "_x are people, too!"

Didn't he work on Enterprise, too? I wonder if Jolene Blalock had to deal with that, too, because she has discussed being made to wear "enhancements" for her uniform in the past. Not to mention Seven's catsuit on Voyager.

• Options
    Given Berman's reputation I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been any #metoo with him, especially with Les Moonves getting forced out. I certainly hope it's because he was not an actual rapist and "just" very gross.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    jesus

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    At this point I just assume that any of the actresses who worked with the Trek franchise got horrible treatment from the producers, which is a pretty depressing thing to be confident about in the context of a franchise I generally really like.

McFadden was in town for a con a couple of years ago and was very frank about some of the bullshit that went on behind the scenes in terms of harassment, attempts to shoehorn any of the woman characters in creepy ways, etc.

I'm kinda surprised Berman hasn't gotten the metoo treatment, given the number of people who are already enthusiastically on the record about his behaviour..

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Is Berman still active in the industry? I couldn't name anything he's worked on after Trek.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    He's out of the Trek franchise. I think he's just doing a bit of this and that in the broader television industry these days.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I grew up on The Next Generation and will always love it, but aside from the original string of movies (and one of the new ones which I regrettably watched) I haven't watched any of the other series.

But my friend has basically all of the Star Trek, and we watched the first episode of the original show ("The Man Trap", with the shapeshifter) a while ago. My god, it is great. I wish there was a youtube clip of Shatner saying "The Creature. It Kills. It Needs Salt to Live" because I couldn't stop laughing for five minutes.

edit - man why can't we have reasonable public domain laws, the original show should be freely watchable at this point

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Is Berman still active in the industry? I couldn't name anything he's worked on after Trek.
    He hasn't done anything after Trek. And of course that's also a potential factor, who wants to deal with it for someone who's retired. I guess we'll never know

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    I grew up on The Next Generation and will always love it, but aside from the original string of movies (and one of the new ones which I regrettably watched) I haven't watched any of the other series.

But my friend has basically all of the Star Trek, and we watched the first episode of the original show ("The Man Trap", with the shapeshifter) a while ago. My god, it is great. I wish there was a youtube clip of Shatner saying "The Creature. It Kills. It Needs Salt to Live" because I couldn't stop laughing for five minutes.

edit - man why can't we have reasonable public domain laws, the original show should be freely watchable at this point

TOS is about half good-to-brilliant, half wtf is this shit? Shatner is a termite posing as an actor - he chews every scene he's in.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    So did Ricardo Montalban, and we love him for it.

Also, consider that the 60s was still coming off the 50s, and television was still something of a novelty, with lots of stories - and actors - from the stage. A different time, and a different kind of acting.

I seem to recall an interview with Shatner explaining some of it, thus (quote reconstructed from memory):
    "I... wanted the show to succeed, so badly, that I put. Everything. I. Had. ... intotherole."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I don't think I could hack it as a Klingon.

The repeated use of cutting one's hand in ritual alone would disqualify me.

...I mean I'd suck at the whole "warrior" angle too, but I feel like the hand cutting is the stand-out thing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Don't forget that disinfectants are apparently not considered honorable.

Here you go, everyone pass this blade around and cut yourselves with it. Nothing could go wrong.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I would have been fine with Jadzia leaving the show, even if her death was kinda... not well done.... IF they hadn't immediately replaced her with Jadzia Lite. Not just because new Dax was annoying, but because it sucked all of the air out of what should be a big, important moment in the series where a main character we have all gotten to know over several seasons bites the dust.

Given that this was a character who was always (like, from the pilot episode) going on about her previous lives and how she was a symbiote who had multiple hosts have you got that yet, it would have felt more weird if she'd died, the Dax symbiote had been shipped off to get implanted in someone else, and never been seen again.

I remember one commentary or something where Michael Dorn said he thought Jadzia should have died on the away mission with Worf, with Worf choosing the mission over saving her life.

And Ezri was the best response to having to replace a main character that you weren't originally planning to. The mechanism's been established for the entire series, not using it when you have the opportunity would be absurd. She comes off as Jadzia-lite at first because that's all we know about her, but she does establish herself as time goes on.

I think if they'd known going in that they'd change Daxes during the series, they'd have done things differently. My approach would have been to:
    a) Kill Jadzia a season earlier, so they can establish a new character without having to pull a lot of attention from the climax of the series-long arcs.
    b) Introduce Ezri Tigan earlier than that as a recurring character (probably have her counselling Miles on his trauma of the week), and establish her as one of the (majority of) Trills who don't want or expect to be joined. That way, when she volunteers to save the Dax symbiote, we'd see the personality change and know that's it's an actual sacrifice on her part; it's glossed over on the show because it's showing the fallout of her being implanted without any of the usual training, but Ezri Tigan sacrificed who she was to save another.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.