As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    thats a fantastic paint scheme man..just beautiful.! well done.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Were there ever any decent Alien franchise toy playsets? I vaguely remember having some as a child with alien queens and REAL OOZE ACTION, but I dunno if nostalgia is blinding me to how well they hold up. Thinking of trawling flea markets for some playsets to repaint and use as terrain.

I have a lot of the figures and such I got a garage sale long ago {this was a year or two after the figures came out}

Really when the Dark Eldar came out the robust terrain and the cardstock forts were really cool as well as the semi modular necromunda stuff

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    A guy in my local club has been doing some killer repaints of Playschool train sets
    po62wj6bb1sy.png

DANGER BRIDGE.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    There’s a bunch of those playskool (apparently that’s how it’s spelled?) sets and with a new paintjob and some weathering they’re all great. They’re apparently the same scale as 40k stuff.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    There’s a bunch of those playskool (apparently that’s how it’s spelled?) sets and with a new paintjob and some weathering they’re all great. They’re apparently the same scale as 40k stuff.
    The little stud people have about the same proportions as a space marine, so that checks out.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Were there ever any decent Alien franchise toy playsets? I vaguely remember having some as a child with alien queens and REAL OOZE ACTION, but I dunno if nostalgia is blinding me to how well they hold up. Thinking of trawling flea markets for some playsets to repaint and use as terrain.

Is this the thing?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMm8ZLlxFbI

I looks like it could be some workable terrain, lots of good Giger detail work in there. Maybe a bit of a paint job and some greebly bits to highlight the detail work so it's not just bare plastic. Probably want to lose the queen and the goo container, though I'm sure both could be pretty easily re-purposed for further terrain.

Good luck finding one, looks like they're quite highly valued on eBay.
    Though finding them loose may be a bit easier on the war chest: Also eBay

I don't think I ever saw any other Alien playsets. Mostly just action figures of the Space Marines, Predators and Aliens.

Hell yeah that’s exactly it, I remember having that thing. It would make great terrain, could use water effects and slime it up pretty well.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hell yeah that’s exactly it, I remember having that thing. It would make great terrain, could use water effects and slime it up pretty well.

Could be cool to run a couple LEDs in there through the bottom before the water effects to get a nice glowing blood pool (or other viscous fluid of your choice depending on your Chaos god of choice) for a nice summoning pool.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    While it still needs a lot of work (last week was mad busy with hospital appointments and tribunals and shit), the new Tyranid scheme is coming along really well and I'm super happy with it.

I'm really hoping the momentum carries over into the diorama I put on hold earlier this year.

ylkdqki76vv7.jpg

EDIT: process so far:

Prime black;
    Airbrush base Citadel Fenrisian Grey;
    Airbrush VGC Wolf Grey onto highlights;
    Airbrush VMC Dark Sea Blue into shadows;
    Wash with Coelia Greenshade thinned 1:1 with Lahmian Medium;
    Highlight upper areas and edges with VGC Wolf Grey;
    Base red areas with Citadel Mephiston Red;
    Carefully wash the red with Aggrax Earthshade;
    Rehighlight with Mephiston Red;
    Highlight again with Citadel Evil Sunz Scarlett;
    Basecoat carapace with Incubi Darkness.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Incubi Darkness is such a great color. I wanna take some to Home Depot and get a couple cans mixed up just to paint stuff around the house in it. Incubi Darkness cabinets, fences and trim.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Snagged this Forge World Dreadnought just before it went out of print.

s1V1Xsa.jpg

I wasn't sure about doing orange on one side and blue on the other, i was worried it'd be unbalanced, but i ended up liking the contrast. if it bother me later i'll swap the plasma for a helfrost cannon, i guess.
    mWSn23a.jpg

it isn't the first time I've painted this particular model... my first crack at it is was in 2010...
    SOHkqIY.jpg

"You're replacing me! And tossing me in the trash! Whaaat! "

I was hoping the photos would should more of a visible difference in my painting after 8 years... I did some touching up on the older model a couple times over the last few years, so I suppose that masks the progress.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    ONE MORE THING

I went back up and replaced the knot work decal on my Redemptor, so it went border to border.

q7tzSGm.jpg

This is what it looked like before

Having the full pattern edge to edge makes me a lot happier.

took a back side shot, too.
    LX6XibD.jpg

the rune on the last knuckle is an R, spelling 'TOR' (aka Thor).

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    So painting wise, my general painting technique is the basic primer-base layering until desired color-washing each layer then drybrushing the base and then highlight layers. I find it a bit difficult to apply details as finely as I like because I have trouble keeping my hands still enough to apply fine details consistently, and layering/glazes generally seems like something that, even were I to develop the patience for it, I would have trouble deciding how best to apply the layers (I often feel like I have trouble visualizing the desired outcome when working from the base coat before applying washes and drybrushing to bring out highlights)

My brother has suggested I pick up and airbrush and compressor and I was wondering if that might help bridge the gap a bit between the kind of painting I do now which is fine generally but sometimes feels a bit sloppy, and a more finely controlled/detailed approach which doesn't rely on fine motor control/hand eye coordination which I sometimes have trouble with.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited September 2018
    Airbrushes i think are big time savers, but to really well with it requires a strong understanding of light and shadow. There is an element of fine motor control too with how much pressure you use and laying out your gradients.

Matrias on
    Airbrushes won’t help with fine details, that’s always gonna be in the brushwork. They are quite nice for things like natural shadows and zenith highlighting without killing yourself with rattlecans. So you can prime, then do a light shade from above and dark below, then proceed with your usual drybrush/highlights/washes.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I have such a massive lack of understanding for light and shadow. I think it's why I dislike painting minis so much. That and I'm also extremely critical of my work so nothing is ever good. I also have no sense for blending or eyeballing whether colors will go together or not.

I've been watching the Guy Fieri of airbrushing on YouTube, the dude is so absurdly good with airbrush control. It is just so weird watching because in the video I don't notice a change in color as he builds the colors up so it is really frustrating when I try it because I don't know if what I'm doing is actually working or not. I don't even know why building up the colors is important.

I don't get painting at all.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Slowly working on my Kill Team board. About half done, at this point it’s just putting together a few more decrepit shipping containers and making a bunch of stacks of barrels and boxes for cover, and then painting/flocking/water effects.
    AS9jD8D.jpg
    e1rFDAK.jpg

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    It is just so weird watching because in the video I don't notice a change in color as he builds the colors up so it is really frustrating when I try it because I don't know if what I'm doing is actually working or not. I don't even know why building up the colors is important.

unfortunately that is probably nothing to do with your eyes; the colour gamut of video is about a third of what regular humans can actually perceive, so sometimes there literally is no detectable change on video where it would be seen in person.

That said, building up colours in thin layers does several things: first it gives better control of the final colour (you can always stop a layer or two early if you decide it looks good enough already vs glopping on a single thick layer and trying to knock it back if it’s too much); second, lighter, thinner layers give a smoother, cleaner result as the pigment doesn’t build up in clumps and the extra liquid in a thinner blend helps it self-level; third, it gives the colour more depth and vibrancy because the individual layers transmit and reflect light back through each other.
    All of those are good things and apply just as well with a regular brush as an airbrush. It’s just vastly easier and faster to do a layered basecoat across an entire mini with an airbrush…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    see317 wrote: »

Is this the thing?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMm8ZLlxFbI

I looks like it could be some workable terrain, lots of good Giger detail work in there. Maybe a bit of a paint job and some greebly bits to highlight the detail work so it's not just bare plastic. Probably want to lose the queen and the goo container, though I'm sure both could be pretty easily re-purposed for further terrain.

Good luck finding one, looks like they're quite highly valued on eBay.
    Though finding them loose may be a bit easier on the war chest: Also eBay

I don't think I ever saw any other Alien playsets. Mostly just action figures of the Space Marines, Predators and Aliens.

I never knew there was a playset for those figures
    I got a lot of them as a box at a garage sale {more of a fire sale because of his cheating ass kind of deal} I thought the term for the Colonial Marines being space marines was kind of silly as I was vaguely into 40k at the time but knew and thought of them when that term was used

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    It is just so weird watching because in the video I don't notice a change in color as he builds the colors up so it is really frustrating when I try it because I don't know if what I'm doing is actually working or not. I don't even know why building up the colors is important.

unfortunately that is probably nothing to do with your eyes; the colour gamut of video is about a third of what regular humans can actually perceive, so sometimes there literally is no detectable change on video where it would be seen in person.

That said, building up colours in thin layers does several things: first it gives better control of the final colour (you can always stop a layer or two early if you decide it looks good enough already vs glopping on a single thick layer and trying to knock it back if it’s too much); second, lighter, thinner layers give a smoother, cleaner result as the pigment doesn’t build up in clumps and the extra liquid in a thinner blend helps it self-level; third, it gives the colour more depth and vibrancy because the individual layers transmit and reflect light back through each other.
    All of those are good things and apply just as well with a regular brush as an airbrush. It’s just vastly easier and faster to do a layered basecoat across an entire mini with an airbrush…

How do I figure out which colors to layer each other over though? I want a neon orange sort of color for my Infinity army. I feel like I would be better off getting a paint that is already the neon orange color over layering up to it but if I do have a neon orange color is it still better to do layers up to it? I'm not arguing that layering isn't the better option to really bring out colors but for someone like me who has no real artistic ability or knowledge of how to paint it feels like more steps than needed.

I feel like I need a side by side comparison of two models done in the same color but one with layering and one without so I can have something tangible to grasp.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Like the robot says, two thin coats are better than one thick one.
    Seriously, you get better colour reproduction, smoother application, and brighter overall results.

Or you can go full cheatyface and get an actual fluorescent orange paint…

Like the robot says, two thin coats are better than one thick one.
    Seriously, you get better colour reproduction, smoother application, and brighter overall results.

Or you can go full cheatyface and get an actual fluorescent orange paint…

Oh, I do the two thin coats thing at the very least.

What I mean is like using a dark orange and then painting over that with a brighter orange and then again with an even brighter orange. A lot of the airbrush videos I've watched do this with various colors.

edited September 2018
    That’s because they (probably) started with a black undercoat which would absolutely darken the final result without an intermediary layer or fifteen. They start with a darker orange and work up because it actually takes less time/layers that way than going straight from black to bright orange. I mean you could do it that way but it would take many, many layers.
    I once did a power sword with a white blade starting from a black undercoat without layering medium grey in between and it took at least a dozen milk-thin coats. Came out brilliant marble white, which was the intended effect, but took forever (I didn’t know the hairdryer trick back then) and yellows (incl. orange) are even worse for ‘showing through’ than white.

Plus you can, if you’re careful with the airbrush, get pretty good ‘natural’ shade gradients with darker mid-layers of you dodge the right areas.

Mr_Rose on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Decided to try and do an shot of my entire chaos force, which I started when dark Imperium came out.

I believe this sequence of photos I took shows why that was a bad plan

dVCT0wv.jpg
    EmzQDVi.jpg

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    looks to me like one of those 1k Sons just got a Perils of the Warp result

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Playing with greenstuff for the first time. Makin' some toadstools for my Oni's base. 's fun.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    There's something blasphemous about Tzeentchian and Nurglish forces standing side by side whenever it isn't a full-on chaos undivided army. Like mixing the Khornate with the Slaaneshi.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    that's a beautiful fucking army and it's also massive... what's the turn around on that... a year? two years? jeezus.

That’s because they (probably) started with a black undercoat which would absolutely darken the final result without an intermediary layer or fifteen. They start with a darker orange and work up because it actually takes less time/layers that way than going straight from black to bright orange. I mean you could do it that way but it would take many, many layers.
    I once did a power sword with a white blade starting from a black undercoat without layering medium grey in between and it took at least a dozen milk-thin coats. Came out brilliant marble white, which was the intended effect, but took forever (I didn’t know the hairdryer trick back then) and yellows (incl. orange) are even worse for ‘showing through’ than white.

Plus you can, if you’re careful with the airbrush, get pretty good ‘natural’ shade gradients with darker mid-layers of you dodge the right areas.

So with priming my Space Wolves with The Fang I wouldn't need to so that sort of thing?

I remember I primed my Infinity models with a tan color so I guess I didn't need to build up the color so much.

So with priming my Space Wolves with The Fang I wouldn't need to so that sort of thing?

I remember I primed my Infinity models with a tan color so I guess I didn't need to build up the color so much.
    Three different undercoats
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hakz6mMDTOM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJXzJ_FsG_g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKdzNh1JGE4
    And a difference over 4 years

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Matrias wrote: »
    that's a beautiful fucking army and it's also massive... what's the turn around on that... a year? two years? jeezus.

Dark Imperium came out June last year, so 15 months ago I started this. That’s not even everything I couldn’t find my foam tray with another 30 cultists and the rest of the plaguebearers in it.

The tzeentch stuff is for tournament lists, I might add some rubrics and stuff but it’s secondary to my Death Guard.

Next up (assuming the FAQ dosn’t kill it or anything) is some Armigers, obliterators and a maximum unit of blightlords in no particular order.

Ooh ooh I did the carapace on the new scheme and boy does it pop! Did I mention that I'm super happy/excited about this scheme? I don't socialise much.

g1hyx0bh88i7.jpg

fjzf5fl8fzbg.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That is damn fine.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Yo Kneel, can you post the colours for the carapace? It looks fab.

edited September 2018
    Of course!

Base Incubi Darkness,
    Layer 1 Incubi Darkness/Sotek Green 1:1
    Layer 2 Sotek Green
    Layer 3 Sotek Green/Temple Guard Blue 1:1
    Layer 4 Temple Guard Blue
    Layer 5 Temple Guard Blue/VGC Wolf Grey 1:1
    Edge highlight VGC Wolf Grey

EDIT and where the transitions were too harsh, l glazed them with a thin mix of the offending colours to soften them out.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Messing around with these weathering powders I keep buying. Finally a reason to use them!
    nDuGHxo.jpg
    That’s just putting them in water and using like a wash. Might get a blush applicator and try just dry brushing another shipping container and see how that looks.

Weathering powders are the bestest.

3EnCIQg.jpg
    Kneel wrote: »
    Weathering powders are the bestest.

Which ones though as people rave about the Tamiya ones.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've backed the kickstarter for the Horizon Zero Dawn board game, so because i've got a bunch more miniatures coming in a couple of years I figure I should give this whole painting thing a shot and try on my Dark Souls board game pieces.

There's a Ben Franklin near me so I assume they'll have paints there. If not I can try the Hobbytown USA a bit further out. I'll have to look up some videos and tutorials as well. I know my first attempt will be crap so hopefully there's a type of paint that is easy to remove and try again on.

This discussion has been closed.