As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

1979899100101103»

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The whole pep system is neat, but otherwise pointless. It's too random to plan around. And while the double/triple/quad techs sure look pretty and are useful, they're only useful for bosses... which again you can't exactly plan around (at least without benching members as stated above). There's little point in using them on random battles because they're so easy anyways, and I feel like I'm better off just keeping the pep state for as long as possible.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Pep Powers just being something you can do once in a while though is a bit better than the DQ8 system of having to actually use the Tension command, and building it up to level 3, where you only sometimes got to go to 100%...

There are items in the game that force enable Pep mode for everyone, though my understanding is they are extremely limited. Very much the Megalixirs to hoard for the end of the game. Meanwhile, some enemies can just do a move that enables pep mode for them on a whim... and they use Pep Powers against you.

Speaking of Pep Powers - best one in the game is Hallelujah!, which is Hero/Erik/Jade. Doubles gold, XP and forces the rare drop from all enemies in the combat.
    Second best Pep Power only requires Rab to be in pep state, but requires the Hero and Rab to have both learned Kasnooze (around level 32?). It makes all monsters sleep... even Liquid Metal Slimes. Combine that with the above...

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I would have expected the MC to have more Pep control buried deep within his Luminary talent tree. Guess not?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Admittedly, I'm not that far in his Luminary line at all. I beelined for Gigaslash in Swordsmanship and then filled out the Swords section. He gets access to Dual-Wield under one of the hidden skills and equipping him with two Falcon Blades +3 is ridiculous (one Falcon Blade from mini medals, second Falcon Blade is locked behind a Magic Key door).

Major spoiler regarding MC once you get to Yggdrasil.
    He loses access to Luminary at the start of Act 2. Any points you put into the tree get refunded back to you though. I just can't upgrade his Luminary at all - the whole section is missing.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Which is kind of annoying. By now you've probably noticed a pattern going on. Party member "joins" as an NPC for a while until the end of the chapter, where they "officially" join. So the battle system can quite clearly support 5 party members. You're just limiting yourself to 4 because... tradition. They don't even try to handwave it away with the old excuse of "it'd draw attention to ourselves".

It's not a big deal or anything. Just... vexing. I otherwise sort of like what they do though. Essentially giving you a free preview taster of the party member for a dungeon before giving you full control.

More than 4 characters goes beyond the "sweet spot" for many players. I know it does for me. 3 and 4 person parties only please. But always give me more characters than that to choose from so I can make sure I like everyone I'm using.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My sweet spot is 5, and that's because FFIV was my first ever RPG and it has 5. I've always felt that 5 feels like a complete party.

3 feels too little. I love the materia system of 7, and I love the characters of 7. But FF7 is one of my least-favorite combat games because 3 simply feels like too few.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Which is kind of annoying. By now you've probably noticed a pattern going on. Party member "joins" as an NPC for a while until the end of the chapter, where they "officially" join. So the battle system can quite clearly support 5 party members. You're just limiting yourself to 4 because... tradition. They don't even try to handwave it away with the old excuse of "it'd draw attention to ourselves".

It's not a big deal or anything. Just... vexing. I otherwise sort of like what they do though. Essentially giving you a free preview taster of the party member for a dungeon before giving you full control.

More than 4 characters goes beyond the "sweet spot" for many players. I know it does for me. 3 and 4 person parties only please. But always give me more characters than that to choose from so I can make sure I like everyone I'm using.

I actually kind of get turned off by those Wizardry style games that love to have you using 6+ character parties. Like... now you're just kind of swarming them at this point. It loses something special about your victory and devalues your characters' power.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Group size is a constant complaint in the genre. I think its fine in this game but I can see why others would not.

I am taking the game slow and savoring it. I constantly find myself pausing/not progressing cutscene convos looking at detail in worn bits of scabbard or armor or hats and the like.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Sylvando should annoy me as a stereotype, but he has moments of badassery and comic relief that I overlook the very Hank-Azaria-voices-gay-character personality he has.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Sylvando should annoy me as a stereotype, but he has moments of badassery and comic relief that I overlook the very Hank-Azaria-voices-gay-character personality he has.

I think it's his voice moreso than anything he actually does in the story that is annoying.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    There's a few voices that don't feel like improvements over silence.

• Options