As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Gotta web them first I think.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I think my only complaint with the game is I wish gadget switching was on the D-Pad or something so it was faster and more fluid instead of taking you out of the fight. I also find that the radial menu isn't as responsive as I like, as in I have to input the direction a second time here and there. It's not very often but often enough to be annoying? Although maybe that's my controller?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh, I did one of those pigeon side missions yesterday and it kinda sucked? Esp since the prompt to catch it was L1/R1 and not Triangle like in other side missions to catch moving cars and stuff.

R1 L1 is the usual prompt to grab stuff so it makes sense.

I just got the (suit spoiler)
    Dark Suit

Almost sad I got it so early because I don't think I'll be using many other suits now. The details on it are SO GOOD.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, L1+R1 grab is super super important in combat especially in the second half of the game where you need to grab environmental objects and/or web throw by holding Triangle webbed up enemies in order to stun enemies. The pigeon missions are to get you to practice that. Once the enemies are stunned you can press Triangle to zip to them so you can combo them

Zavian on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Should be noted that any non-boss enemy type can be thrown into the wall or ground if they're webbed and they'll be instantly knocked out.

This is particularly useful against brutes once you can web throw them, since they can quickly be subdued by webbing them up however you likely and then just throwing them into a wall. Takes all the fight out of them.
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I think my only complaint with the game is I wish gadget switching was on the D-Pad or something so it was faster and more fluid instead of taking you out of the fight. I also find that the radial menu isn't as responsive as I like, as in I have to input the direction a second time here and there. It's not very often but often enough to be annoying? Although maybe that's my controller?

The radial menu doesn't give me any trouble switching between item types, I use it constantly (though a D-pad switch would be better). Sounds to me like your controller really is having a problem.

• Options
    Brutes are tough until you get a lot of instant-kill options with walls and efficient webbing.

Which is good, because the game then introduces much more difficult enemies than the basic Fisk Brutes.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    All the suits I have so far are kinda ugly, so I've stuck to the regular repaired suit.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    All the suits I have so far are kinda ugly, so I've stuck to the regular repaired suit.

Can't beat the classic look! Besides that one I only really like Spider-Punk, 2099, Stark, Homemade, and the Mk 4 suit since it's from the recent Slott run where he was CEO of Parker Industries and finally was able to build all the gadgets and spider cars he always dreamed of (but this is Peter Parker we're talking about and it all ended badly). But yeah the rest of the suits are pretty throwaway, I hope the DLC adds more cause there's tons of cool ones from the comics they haven't used yet

Zavian on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »

Can't beat the classic look! Besides that one I only really like Spider-Punk, 2099, Stark, Homemade, and the Mk 4 suit since it's from the recent Slott run where he was CEO of Parker Industries and finally was able to build all the gadgets and spider cars he always dreamed of (but this is Peter Parker we're talking about and it all ended badly). But yeah the rest of the suits are pretty throwaway, I hope the DLC adds more cause there's tons of cool ones from the comics they haven't used yet

I agree. I've tried a lot of suits and I keep coming back to either classic classic or the Stark suit which is classic enough but looks slightly more modern. I really dislike the advanced suit. The white logo and everything about it kind of screams SPIDER-MAN: REINVENTED BY NIKE!

I tried the...Mk 2? Whichever one looks like something an asian motorcycle gang would use and thought it was pretty meh. I actually didn't hate whichever one has the glowing turquoise logo. Looked surprisingly decent. Overall though, I play the game to be Spider-Man and the classic suit is really the only one that looks like it! I guess maybe if they had the Venom black and white I'd fuck with it but even then probably not.

In my dream for the sequel, they don't have as many suits but what they DO have is different characters! Although that's probably too much effort from a voice acting perspective. It would be cool to unlock Spider-Gwen, Silk, Miles Morales, or whomever and play through as them. Maybe if the next game was Spider-Verse focused.
    ChaosHat wrote: »

The radial menu doesn't give me any trouble switching between item types, I use it constantly (though a D-pad switch would be better). Sounds to me like your controller really is having a problem.

That's a bummer. It's just intermittently not as snappy and fluid as I would like. It feels like sometimes snapping directly to the option doesn't work, I kind of have to roll the stick into the spot. I have a second controller I guess I should try that.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I like all the suits, save for some of the wacky ones. I love how the Negative suit actually glows and pulsates.

Can I just say how awesome it is the suits actually impact the gameplay and aren't just for show?

• Options
    I like all the suits, save for some of the wacky ones. I love how the Negative suit actually glows and pulsates.

Can I just say how awesome it is the suits actually impact the gameplay and aren't just for show?

I'm glad that they don't impact the gameplay and ARE just for show. If the suit powers were locked to the suits I'd be pretty unhappy.

• Options
    Well yeah, I do like that they can be mixed and matched but I like that they each have a unique power is all

Arkham games should take note

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    White Spider for life! Except for the feet, not 100% sold on those.

I spent most of last night swinging around town, trying to get good pictures. I didn't punch a single demon.

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Tulabelle wrote: »

I spent most of last night swinging around town, trying to get good pictures. I didn't punch a single demon.

The white spider suit is my absolute favorite, but I feel like I'm in the minority on that one. I think it's such a natural progression of the suit, and it looks like what I think a Spidey suit today should look like. The gloves look like motorcycle gloves, I love the leather palm detail and the carbon gauntlets. It's probably my favorite Spidey suit to date, and I sometimes feel bad that the game gives me so many options and I just stick with the default.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i love the fighting in this game, especially jumping off walls in the 2d style jewlery store robberys where you can just bounce around kicking people

entire fight sequences feel more like a THPS 2 minute skate session

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just finished up the story and... damn. Shit gets heavy.

I wasn't expecting much out of this story and I am really impressed with the direction they took it. I am now dying to see what they do with the next game, because they have set up some excellent stuff here.

• Options
    Finished up Dinner Date and some of the surrounding missions.
    Ovtavius is starting to worry me. Setting aside even how his ideas for better-than-human prosthetics seem to be on a straight shot to something like (oh I don't know) mechanical tentacles, the combination of his rather desperate search for funds and his growing desire to show up Osborn have me afraid he's going to go down a road that ends with him not all that different than his usual incarnations.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Enlong wrote: »
    Finished up Dinner Date and some of the surrounding missions.
    Ovtavius is starting to worry me. Setting aside even how his ideas for better-than-human prosthetics seem to be on a straight shot to something like (oh I don't know) mechanical tentacles, the combination of his rather desperate search for funds and his growing desire to show up Osborn have me afraid he's going to go down a road that ends with him not all that different than his usual incarnations.
    Dan Slott's fav Spidey villain is Doc Ock, and it shows in this game. I myself was never an Ock fan until Slott started writing him, and the influence is obvious in the game.

I hope we get the Superior Spider-Man arc where a dying Otto takes over Peter's mind and becomes a new Spider-Man. Otto tried to be a hero actually, though he's more of an antihero like Punisher in practice. He was actually Ock Spidey for quite awhile, two years I think in the comics. They've hinted at this already with the brain tech Otto and Peter work on in the game, wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in the sequel with Ock Spidey and Miles trying to carry on the legacy

Zavian on
  • Options
    Tulabelle wrote: »

The white spider suit is my absolute favorite, but I feel like I'm in the minority on that one. I think it's such a natural progression of the suit, and it looks like what I think a Spidey suit today should look like. The gloves look like motorcycle gloves, I love the leather palm detail and the carbon gauntlets. It's probably my favorite Spidey suit to date, and I sometimes feel bad that the game gives me so many options and I just stick with the default.

I feel like the Stark suit is a little moderny with it's usage of black. I think I would like the white spider if the spider was black. It's just really jarring to me for some reason.

Also, I feel like I would dig on the Iron Spider from the comics more. That red and gold is a hot look.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I made my Batman/Spider-man comparison earlier and I feel like I need to clarify.

I’ve always liked spider-man. At one point I had the entire run of Maximum Carnage. Spidey is a good character. I have some of the weirder runs of the comic (like when he morphed into a cocoon and got a bunch of new powers), I just lost touch with him.

But he really stands out to me in our current economic and political environment. A young guy trying to get by and still help people, all while keeping positive and experiencing joy in what he does, is an amazing breath of fresh air. Feels like we’ve been doing the grim dark thing for so long, I wondered at some point “have any characters ever experienced joy?”

But like the marvel movies, this iteration of spider-man has fully embraced the humor, fun, and joy of comics and being a super hero.

So Batman and spider-man are mirror images of each other in a lot of ways, and I’ll always like both, but Spidey speaks to me in a way that right now, darker stuff feels hollow, played out, and frankly not good. Right now Spider-man is the hero we need, and the hero we deserve.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Sorry to be a bit gushy, I just have a lot of Feelings about this game, much more than it being excellent.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I keep going through the story and having a blast until another MJ section shows up and it's like Rhino stomping on the brakes.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I have knocked people off of buildings. I see a web thread attached to them. I guess that is supposed to save them. Heh.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Spidey is the best because he's the everyman hero. Tony Stark is who you wish it would be, Spider-Man is how it would actually turn out for you. Most of us aren't super fucking rich and decide to get into crime fighting because we're rich fancy boys who can afford to not have a job and go train with ninjas or some shit. Spider-Man is who we simultaneously hope and fear we would be if we were a superhero.

We hope we would be Spider-Man because he pretty unfailingly uses his powers the best he can to help people. Sure he is flawed and he fails but he regularly puts it on the line for everyone, whether it be to save the world from some maniacal super villain or just some guy mugging an old lady. Most of us hope that we could stand up to that ideal, but we also fear the costs.

His personal life is constantly a mess. He has relationship trouble because he decides to be a hero, hell, his girlfriend DIED for it. It puts his family through hell. He's poor as hell most of the time because he's trying to balance working, being a student, and being a full time super hero. He's tired. He's beat up. His friends and mentors go nuts half the time trying to kill him. He has very few people he can actually confide in on a personal level because he wears the mask. He can't ever stop doing the right thing because his uncle died when he stopped.

Peter Parker is the kid who won the lottery, didn't even ask to win it, and then proceeded to donate every last cent of it to charity even at the cost of his own well being and he manages to do so without taking himself super seriously or martyring himself. He is essentially a force of pure good.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    One of the things I love about Marvel is that all their characters have humanity and flaws, while never getting grim dark like DC often does. This game really nailed what has made Marvel comics stand out to me ever since I was a kid. Even their villains can be relatable to a degree, especially Spidey villains, even the D-listers. I wouldn't mind the sequel being Games As Service with new weekly 'issues' of content and new missions, written by Spidey writers like Slott and Gage who worked on this first one. Whatever they end up doing, I'm definitely playing it at launch, this one was so good beginning to end

Zavian on
  • Options

Do I have to read the article or can I just assume it’s completely wrong.

• Options
    The main reason I would name Spider-Man as my favorite is because when I was a kid reading them, he was a kid, too. That always resonated with me.

I love the X-Men, never was a big fan of the Avengers, Batman is cool (especially Robin for the same reason as Spidey), but Peter Parker will always be special to me.

• Options

Sounds like they have a grudge against the NYPD and are taking out on the game. They even reference the fact that games all do similar things, but this one does it with the NYPD.

Not saying he isn't justified to feel that way against the police, but I mean... come on. Do we have to hate fictional police now as well?

• Options
    edited September 2018

I mean, it's a legit concern to have, though. The police are a real touchy subeject these days due to, you know, real life big problems becoming really big in the public eye. It's something you should be thinking about when writing a story, especially a story so modern that we have JJJ as a fearmongering news podcaster. Speaking of, it is kinda annoying that the only line of concern about stuff like police-owned surveillance towers is put into the mouth of JJJ, who is pretty much a walking joke. I get that Spidey needs allies, and the story is really about fighting the Demon gang, but the way people will react to your story should be something you consider, and the police being lionized as Spidey's friends and allies all the way is gonna strike a chord with people who are hurt by the police in real life. And yeah, Spidey fights some crooked cops in the intro sequence, but that's it (they're kinda treated like a group of Fisk thugs). It's all Fisk and Demons from then on. Though I do suppose there's the fact that Sable is basically a private police force in the pocket of big money, and they're antagonists as well. I don't think it would've hurt the game's flow for one of the Crime Factions you stop between misssions to be like, police brutality or something.

Enlong on
  • Options
    I’m not that far into the story but it seems like the game is very politically aware of what it’s saying and doing.

And I do get the fact that police brutality is front and center these days, and should be because it is a huge problem, along with the militarization or police.

But I know a bunch of cops and I have family members who are cops and I think there are still a lot of good ones out there. And the game makes sure that you are seeing a diverse cast of characters including police that are helpful, but I know a bunch of nyc cops and they are good people. And I think showing good empathetic law enforcement is also important.

• Options
    I didn't really want to make a political commentary I just thought it was funny. They couldn't come up with a legit criticism of the game so instead they attack if for not tackling civil rights issues head on

Like come on I just wanna play my punchy hero game

• Options
    It is a legit criticism, though. Being turned off by the story of a game is as legit as being turned off by the gameplay. They're both important aspects.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure what else you would want. Peter "Phuk da Police" Parker?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I think they should have made the suits fit in the reality of the game. I know. It is a fanfare thing.

• Options

Well that's rhe spider Punk costume, yeah?

Real answer, perhaps have police brutality as one of the random crime types you have to stop.

• Options
    It is a legit criticism, though. Being turned off by the story of a game is as legit as being turned off by the gameplay. They're both important aspects.

That's more a criticism of the real world and not of the fictional one Marvel heroes live in. They have to grapple with whole different issues than real life people. Like fine be turned off but, I can't imagine letting something like that get in the way of enjoyment of the game. It feels like misplaced energy to take it out on the writers of the game; you could spend time doing something about real world issues instead of being critical of video games on the internet.

Like Spidey and these fictional cops jobs are the same, to stop bad guys and save lives. It doesn't have to get any deeper than that really, it's not really the objective of the game to explore the police and their place in things- it's a super hero game.

• Options

I would say it's a legit criticism if you played a Spidey out there actively helping bad cops shit on people, instead of a Spidey out there risking his life alongside cops risking their lives fighting shit way out of their league. If somebody has such a huge chip on their shoulder about cops that they're actively revolted by the idea of working alongside ones trying to help people in a video game, then I'd say that person needs to massively adjust their perspective so they aren't applying one hell of an ugly bit of prejudice against a shitload of people they apparently know very little about.

Yes, there are problems with cops in the USA. But I guess it's a lot easier to just irrationally label all NYPD cops as bad than it is to bother looking at them like people and engage in useful and productive actions to help reform how policing is done in NYC.

(I am not leveling any accusations against Enlong, my points are against the author of that really piece of garbage article)

• Options
    edited September 2018

Real answer, perhaps have police brutality as one of the random crime types you have to stop.

Isn't that the whole point with Sable's mercs setting up military checkpoints rounding up innocent civilians? Theyre the "bad cops". Personally I don't think anyone needs a game with NYPD police brutality. Spidey has always had NYPD allies, going back to Jean DeWolff so kind of happy they continued the tradition. Of course at other times Spidey has been hunted by the NYPD, and personally I wouldn't mind a Mayor JJJ in the next game

Zavian on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »

Isn't that the whole point with Sable's mercs setting up military checkpoints rounding up innocent civilians? Theyre the "bad cops". Personally I don't think anyone needs a game with NYPD police brutality. Spidey has always had NYPD allies, going back to Jean DeWolff so kind of happy they continued the tradition. Of course at other times Spidey has been hunted by the NYPD, and personally I wouldn't mind a Mayor JJJ in the next game

Oh, that's a thing? The only thing I've seen so far with the Sable checkpoints is them fighting the Demon gang.