As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well it can be more fun. Fast travel restrictions and waypoints remove a lot of the tedium when there isn’t much of a game in between the points.

Not that I want to go back to the cliff racer apocalypse (praise Jiub) but walking to places takes a lot of time and sometimes I just want to skip the parts I have done.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    praise Jiub!

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah there’s pros and cons to both. But the response of “well just don’t use fast travel!” Doesn’t really hold up. Morrowind was designed for you to organically travel everywhere so it works well. The newer games aren’t

My favorite morriwind adventure was playing a mage who only got mana back from potions or absorbing (with base 50% absorb rate)

I wondered way too far from any town. Ran out of potions and had to claw my way back to civilization by fighting jelly fish and absorbing their blasts to fill my mans

Getting back to a town was the greatest accomplishment I’ve had in any elder scrolls

616610-1.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    oh yay, they got the in-game mod menu working so I can finally experience the wondrous splendor of mods with the proper effort level of clicking a button

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    praise Jiub!

I wonder what happened to him. I met him once you know. /best mercenary

wbBv3fj.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I feel the need to reiterate and expand on a sentiment I've had for a while: I really want Bethesda to consult with Arkane on how to make first person melee combat feel better in Elder Scrolls games similar to how they consulted with ID to punch up the shooting mechanics and feel between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

Dishonored does the sword in one hand, not sword in the other hand thing so much better than Skyrim does. Pulling off a parry to land a counterattack feels great. Power attacks are meaningful without feeling overly clunky. Swings are fast but have good weight to them on a clean hit.

But now I also want Bethesda to consult Arkane on making more interesting spells. Losing spellcrafting is understandable but a lot of the set spells we get in Skyrim are lacking even beyond the lack of damage scaling. Dishonored and Prey are full of powers that are more interesting than throw out fire with bigger numbers. I'd love a power like Domino in Elder Scrolls to speed up the frequent fights you're outnumbered in. Or have Illusion magic summon a decoy. Possess an npc with Alteration. Summon a swarm of vermin with Conjuration to supplement bigger daedra summons. Turn off gravity briefly like Morgan with, uh, whatever makes sense but just do it because it's cool. Have Alchemy create sleep arrows, explosive bottles, etc. It's a setting where even minor magic items are powered by trapped souls and a big stompy golem that warps time is a major artifact. Magic available to players should be more interesting too.

IIRC (it's been many years), they consulted with the people who made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, because that has a wonderful 1st person melee system.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Arkane Studios are the people who made Dark Messiah.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't foresee Bethesda ever developing high-quality high-diversity gameplay for the various skills and schools in TES games (or Fallout). Fallout 4 was a huge improvement over FO3 for gameplay, and I would still only call that gameplay average at best (there are fuckloads of shooter games with more interesting and better-done combat). That just isn't an angle they prioritize, traditionally speaking.

If anything, we can expect the next Elder Scrolls game to also have a focus on really tedious and pointless base building, perhaps some marginally improved gameplay, a huge downturn in story quality, and an uninteresting wreck of a skill system. If we're really lucky, they'll try to shoehorn in some terrible fad multiplayer as well, and really put on the squeeze to force modders into making them money.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    In Skyrim, you get put in charge of everything, become a noble everywhere and own a bunch of land and property all over the place.

If the next Elder Scrolls game continues in that vein, it would be almost appropriate if you got to build your own castle somewhere. Provided the game sets you up as a blank slate instead of as a parent desperately searching for their child.

I feel the need to reiterate and expand on a sentiment I've had for a while: I really want Bethesda to consult with Arkane on how to make first person melee combat feel better in Elder Scrolls games similar to how they consulted with ID to punch up the shooting mechanics and feel between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

Dishonored does the sword in one hand, not sword in the other hand thing so much better than Skyrim does. Pulling off a parry to land a counterattack feels great. Power attacks are meaningful without feeling overly clunky. Swings are fast but have good weight to them on a clean hit.

But now I also want Bethesda to consult Arkane on making more interesting spells. Losing spellcrafting is understandable but a lot of the set spells we get in Skyrim are lacking even beyond the lack of damage scaling. Dishonored and Prey are full of powers that are more interesting than throw out fire with bigger numbers. I'd love a power like Domino in Elder Scrolls to speed up the frequent fights you're outnumbered in. Or have Illusion magic summon a decoy. Possess an npc with Alteration. Summon a swarm of vermin with Conjuration to supplement bigger daedra summons. Turn off gravity briefly like Morgan with, uh, whatever makes sense but just do it because it's cool. Have Alchemy create sleep arrows, explosive bottles, etc. It's a setting where even minor magic items are powered by trapped souls and a big stompy golem that warps time is a major artifact. Magic available to players should be more interesting too.

IIRC (it's been many years), they consulted with the people who made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, because that has a wonderful 1st person melee system.

I do not believe this. There is a supreme lack of BOOT in Skyrim and also a suspicious lack of instant kill spike tables hanging against walls.

wbBv3fj.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    In Skyrim, you get put in charge of everything, become a noble everywhere and own a bunch of land and property all over the place.

If the next Elder Scrolls game continues in that vein, it would be almost appropriate if you got to build your own castle somewhere. Provided the game sets you up as a blank slate instead of as a parent desperately searching for their child.

Morrowind had you building an estate associated with the house you chose (the only correct choice is Telvanni because you get your own giant mushroom)

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    There was also the Raven Rock estate in Bloodmoon.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Since TES6 is clearly going to be about the Tamriellic invasion of Akavir, you'll be in charge of building your central fort and as you expand further inland a bunch of military outposts too.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Since TES6 is clearly going to be about the Tamriellic invasion of Akavir, you'll be in charge of building your central fort and as you expand further inland a bunch of military outposts too.

Oh yeah f'sure. One part of the game will be your traditional first-person dungeon crawling RPG, another part shall be basically Stronghold, with a final part putting you in command of armies doing battle ala Total War. :razz:

Aw, I kinda want that game. Now I'm sad.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I'm just going to keep saying it so that reality changes and makes it happen.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm just going to keep saying it so that reality changes and makes it happen.

Oh you'll be commanding armies, but they'll consist of about eight people fighting on each side because the engine would implode otherwise. I'm calling that right now.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    And those eight people will all have the same face and voice.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Oh yeah f'sure. One part of the game will be your traditional first-person dungeon crawling RPG, another part shall be basically Stronghold, with a final part putting you in command of armies doing battle ala Total War. :razz:

Aw, I kinda want that game. Now I'm sad.

That's how Daggerfall was sold to me. I never got to playing it, but a friend explained that you'd be soloing dungeons until you could eventually get enough loot to hire men and then it turned into a strategy game.
    It turns out that that was a slight exaggeration.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Now I want a fantasy Mount and Blade.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Now I want a fantasy Mount and Blade.

There are mods for that. They're janky as heck because all Mount and Blade modding is but they are there and often more polished than base M&B.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Spoilers:

It goes real bad.

Well yeah that's why they have to try again. Just ignore that boring stuff going on with the Dominion and time skip us forward to a united Empire.

Well yeah that's why they have to try again. Just ignore that boring stuff going on with the Dominion and time skip us forward to a united Empire.

Or a united Dominion looking to bring enlightenment to a savage land.

Ugh, please not Dominion Bethesda.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

The Aldmeri Dominion is ruled by fanatics (the Thalmor) who want to literally unmake reality. And they're succeeding. The events of Daggerfall and Morrowind break two of the anchors on reality. Oblivion sees two more fall (one in-game, one occurs elsewhere and is recorded in books in Skyrim). Skyrim itself opens in the midst of the fall of another (arguably, as the towers are all metaphysical). The tower in Valenwood is broken by the time of Skyrim, but I'm having trouble sourcing exactly when. Another tower was lost with the destruction of the Redguard homeland.

Of the known towers... the only one definitely still standing is the first.

Edit: Although to be honest, half of those may have had nothing to do with the Thalmor. Certainly doesn't help, though.

Edit 2: That would mean TES VI should take place in High Rock, if the Adamantine Tower is involved.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    It's not just the Thalmor after the towers. Daedric cults have interest in doing so too and have had some successes.

Having reality moored by physical entities that can be wrecked is an awful cornerstone for a world/plane of reality.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Plot twist: The Orcs end up in charge of the entire continent, somehow, and have instituted a dagger-based economy, where iron daggers are the sole unit of currency. Having mined every last scrap of iron ore on Tamriel, they set sail for new lands.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    And then all of a sudden all the Dwemer everywhere reappear.

With guns.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Besides all the tower stuff, TES has a novel solution to games having multiple endings.

Dragon breaks (dragon being Akatosh).

All endings of Daggerfall are canon despite being mutually exclusive. Because activating Numidium breaks time (note that Numidium was one of the towers, so...), allowing multiple possible timelines to be true at once.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I love the concept of the Dragon Breaks. It's such a clever solution. TES just generally has some really great lore.

BionicPenguin on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I love the concept of the Dragon Breaks. It's such a clever solution. TES just generally has some really great lore.

I just read up on Numidium. I thought it was just a big robot, I never knew it was basically the god of Nope.

5gsowHm.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The Aldmeri Dominion is ruled by fanatics (the Thalmor) who want to literally unmake reality. And they're succeeding. The events of Daggerfall and Morrowind break two of the anchors on reality. Oblivion sees two more fall (one in-game, one occurs elsewhere and is recorded in books in Skyrim). Skyrim itself opens in the midst of the fall of another (arguably, as the towers are all metaphysical). The tower in Valenwood is broken by the time of Skyrim, but I'm having trouble sourcing exactly when. Another tower was lost with the destruction of the Redguard homeland.

Of the known towers... the only one definitely still standing is the first.

Edit: Although to be honest, half of those may have had nothing to do with the Thalmor. Certainly doesn't help, though.

Edit 2: That would mean TES VI should take place in High Rock, if the Adamantine Tower is involved.

this is why I'm saying that TES VI is going to be in the Illiac Bay region, even though we've already been there (in Daggerfall). Because Tower Zero is a Big Goddamn Deal.

Which does make me a bit sad though since I find High Rock & the Bretons to be THE most boring people in Tamriel. Like, of all the groups, they're THE most Bog-Standard Medieval Fantasy Guys, and they even doubled down on that in ESO. They don't have the interesting geography or architecture of Morrowind, they're just kinda Generic Frenchish With a Hint of England To The Point That We're Literally Called "Bretons." I'd still rather see Valenwood (done proper with walking trees, unlike ESO), Summerset (maybe a few thousand years after ESO we finally get to have the Giant Dragonfly Glass Buildings?), Elswyr, or Black Marsh.

[/sigh] But the flip side is that I think the Bretons being Boring Standard Generic European Fantasy is ALSO a big reason they'll go there. It's easier to design for, it's easy to sell (if boring), it's... safe.

I'll still hold out hope that we get to see Hammerfell in addition to High Rock tho, bc REDGUARDS. And maybe even Orsinium? Bc Orks? If I can get those guys and not JUST "hurfdurf we're Englishy Frenchmen" I'll be happier.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

From a distance their lore looks boring, Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, good and bad gods... Up close though all the crunchy weirdness shows up and it's awesome.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Not just that but most of their lore is actually presented not as Word of God by as in universe treatise and histories written by fallible and potentially biased people.

And yeah I fully expect High Rock and I agree that is kind of a boring place. Cyrodiil was too for much the same reason. Still sad they didn't keep the jungles and ziggurats of the original lore for that province.

That said, unless they set a game in Valenwood or Black Marsh I don't think they'll ever again reach Morrowind's level of alieny-fantasy-ness-ish world design (and maybe not even then).

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    If they're planning a High Rock game it needed to come out two years ago to play off peak Game of Thrones. People may actually be tired of generic medieval fantasy by the time it comes out, since it got such a shot in the arm recently.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Re: TES lore - It's also been said in the thread before, and bears repeating, the fact that the lore is so regularly screwed up over time is one of my favorite things about it. Like, if in the next TES there is no knowledge of Talos anymore outside of a small cult following, that would tickle me quite a bit.

Also they really need to do the Black Marsh or Elswyr, but I say that all the time.

I just would really hate it if yet another of these games takes place in the homeland of white dudes. Redguard? Okay. Khajit? Yes. Argonians? Yes. Orcs? Fuck yeah. Hell, take me back to Morrowind. Just don't give me another flavor of white dude homeland. Not because I want balance or something like that, but because I'm bored of white dude cities and culture in this game series. I want something that's really out there this time.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

From a distance their lore looks boring, Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, good and bad gods... Up close though all the crunchy weirdness shows up and it's awesome.
    I love that their Dwarves and their Orcs are Elves.

(Although, sure, orcs being changed elves dates back to Grandpappy Tolkien.)

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I may have already said this, but I love the lore of TES, but for me its super tied up in the lore from Morrowind, and the fact that I played that game sooo much in middle school. Especially because I had my own computer, that didn't have internet, and then the family computer, so I would spend my allotted family computer time arguing with other nerds on the Bethesda lore forums, and then when it was my brothers turn, go back to my room to play Morrowind endlessly.

Also, on the leveling systems: Morrowind vs Skyrim (I never got to play Oblivion)

My favorite of the two was actually Morrowind with Galsiah's Character Development. It moved all of the leveling into the backend, so you still had a granularity, and if you wanted to be a little more gamey with it, you could make sure to get x number of strength skills per level to really try and push that stat up, but every other thing you did eventually had an effect.

Like maybe make "skills" more granular, a couple per magic style or w/e, and the various 1-handers have there own tree, and using a skill automatically gives you those sorts of benefits as you level. Conjuration has a Daedra, Necromancy, and Binding sub trees, and whichever you use gives you perks in those trees as Conjuration as a whole increases?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Sorry for the double post, but thanks to the way Steam handles mods, somehow I ended up with a mod that halves the perk points I gain in Skyrim. But I can't find the mod in my mod list? Any ideas on what I might have forgotten to turn off, or is there a way to add perk points via console with breaking things?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Are you using Skyrim community uncapper? SPERG installed alongside that will halve perk point progression by default for balance purposes.

Are you using Skyrim community uncapper? SPERG installed alongside that will halve perk point progression by default for balance purposes.

I feel like I had those installed at some point, but I thought I had removed them.