As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vacation's over in the [Jobs] thread

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
Always remember: Your job may suck, but at least you're not making 10 bucks an hour and getting random drug tests while your boss smokes pot with Joe Rogan.

Or maybe you are. I have no idea if any of you work for Tesla. Sorry.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I just got an email about an admin assistant position I applied for... months ago, saying there's an opening in La Grande.

Looking it up it doesn't seem like it'd be too awful of a commute, since it's basically going the opposite direction most people are going in.

I dunno. Worth considering, I guess.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I just got an email about an admin assistant position I applied for... months ago, saying there's an opening in La Grande.

Looking it up it doesn't seem like it'd be too awful of a commute, since it's basically going the opposite direction most people are going in.

I dunno. Worth considering, I guess.
    Reverse commute is gold. Worth checking out, I'd say.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I just got an 8% raise.

That's a lotta money.

I ate an engineer
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I'm on vacation and constantly applying for jobs in Florida. Don't want to spend another Winter in Michigan and working for the shitty corporation I currently am.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    This is a 100% true thing that happened at work today:

Coworker: Do we have a paper cutter?
    Me: Yeah, it's under my desk. Just be careful: the finger guard is broken so I guess don't stick your finger in there.

*10 seconds pass*

Coworker: OW, SHIT, MY FINGER.

He got 3 stitches at Urgent Care and blood all over my desk.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    "Oh you said DON'T stick your finger in there. I thought you were telling me to."

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    This doesn't surprise me at all because I've had the following exchange countless times:

Coworker: Why didn't you warn me?!
    Me: I DID. Verbally and in writing!

minor incident on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I am laughing way, way too hard at that, Zim.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Also worth pointing out that the dude who tried to take his finger off is a professional engineer.

Oh there's also the option of applying for that staff assistant position here

So hooray for having options, I guess

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My vacation is approved! finally!

I had 8+ hours of OT from 2 days! so three day weekend!

Now the conversation I had with the well support informing him I would not be there Wednesday because of the massive amount of OT I ended up with
    I just wanted to tell you I had Wednesday off. Why? I have 8+ hours of Ot right now. Really that's impressive. No, that's embarrassing. Why Wednesday? B told me to take it off because he had it covered. Of course he would do this to me. It's only one day you will be fine. No you are a good worker it's going to hurt without you.

The lead support was going to talk to him if he wants this job as I have found out he had a total break down last Monday with the whole crew turning on him and everyone else. This was in no small part due to my silly goose of a manager.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Also worth pointing out that the dude who tried to take his finger off is a professional engineer.

Engineers are either total gearheads or 100% unsuitable for field work of any kind.

Source: I am the latter kind

I ate an engineer
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Engineers are either total gearheads or 100% unsuitable for field work of any kind.

This is so true. It all depends on what they did growing up.

I remember in college, senior year, driving with a guy in my senior design group in his truck. It's making a VERY loud squealing sound when he brakes.
    Me: dude you need to get your brakes replaced.
    Him: oh is that what that sound is? Thanks!

• CelloCello Registered User regular

This is entirely unsurprising

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    For two weeks one of the owners has been asking, ‘any mail for me?’ And I have kept telling him no. I assumed he was waiting on an important letter.

Well, I was trying to tidy up my desk and found a little Rolex booklet that had arrived for him the other week that I could have sworn I’d left on his desk, but evidently not. Anyway, I went to give it to him and it turned out that was the important document he’d been waiting on. Uuuuuugh.

The store manager is finding my despair funny as hell.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Now the conversation I had with the well support informing him I would not be there Wednesday because of the massive amount of OT I ended up with
    I just wanted to tell you I had Wednesday off. Why? I have 8+ hours of Ot right now. Really that's impressive. No, that's embarrassing. Why Wednesday? B told me to take it off because he had it covered. Of course he would do this to me. It's only one day you will be fine. No you are a good worker it's going to hurt without you.

The lead support was going to talk to him if he wants this job as I have found out he had a total break down last Monday with the whole crew turning on him and everyone else. This was in no small part due to my silly goose of a manager.

I'm sorry BL, the thread title clearly says no more vacation. You missed the window.

steam_sig.png
    Damn, apparently my train station is shut down and I can't take the train home

I guess I'm taking the train!

Brainleech wrote: »

I'm sorry BL, the thread title clearly says no more vacation. You missed the window.

Well that's not as heart breaking as being told on the eve of one vacation I planned for {that Saturday} I was told that they were canceling it as I had to cover for blank for his vacation

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    For two weeks one of the owners has been asking, ‘any mail for me?’ And I have kept telling him no. I assumed he was waiting on an important letter.

Well, I was trying to tidy up my desk and found a little Rolex booklet that had arrived for him the other week that I could have sworn I’d left on his desk, but evidently not. Anyway, I went to give it to him and it turned out that was the important document he’d been waiting on. Uuuuuugh.

The store manager is finding my despair funny as hell.

If it helps at all, so am I.

Wait, that doesn't seem very helpful at all, now that I read it back.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Anyone in the medical field? I'm doing a full PTA program which involves a lot of anatomy. For both that and personal training, I'm trying to find a program that is quick, provides good views of muscles and their insertions, and hopefully, one that shows various compound movements along with which muscles are activated in those movements. A lot of this is review, but I'm trying to have a good reference for on the job evals as well.

The closet I've found is Muscle & Motion, but I'd rather buy a complete program than have a subscription based service.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Yeeeep. I work with an engineer who is a legitimate genius, and yet I wouldn't trust that boy to use a toaster unsupervised.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm ok with an engineer not being able to do the field or shop work, but they have to understand what is being done at least visually. If someone can't parse the issues when a design hits production, they are going to be a weight around a companies neck going forward.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Yeeeep. I work with an engineer who is a legitimate genius, and yet I wouldn't trust that boy to use a toaster unsupervised.

I love my engineer hubby dearly.

but his observational skills are questionable.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    It's so great, but also frustrating, to watch somebody at work trying to fix something when you're trying to tell them what they're doing won't work, you know how to fix this, can I just help, ok but look if you just, please I know how to-

Then five minutes later they loudly proclaim it to be busted, they leave, you walk over and *process* oh hey look it works now!

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Last day of vacation.

Going back tomorrow is going to feel weird.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Like week before last they were gonna have a field tech come out for a self-check machine, all "No I looked at it I have to call it in."

I opened it up, there was a torn piece of a dollar bill in the cash dispenser feed path that was triggering a sensor. I used my pen to flick the torn piece out, machine back up and running.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Like week before last they were gonna have a field tech come out for a self-check machine, all "No I looked at it I have to call it in."

I opened it up, there was a torn piece of a dollar bill in the cash dispenser feed path that was triggering a sensor. I used my pen to flick the torn piece out, machine back up and running.

I sat next to the photo copy machine at my old job and became the photocopier guru. There was only once or twice we had to call a tech and that is because we had a contract for service that precluded me getting into it and fixing it myself.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I only one who drive company car, kept noticing sound.

Analyzed, made moans to supervisors and got it serviced. Calipers were dying.

In regards to last thread about diversity hires.

My varied job history made me kick ass at college because i knew how to heard cats and how to handle crisis.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This morning I got called in to cover a middle-school social studies teacher as her grandmother passed away right when she got to work.

So now I am teaching medieval history to 7th-graders for the entire week.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Zonugal wrote: »
    This morning I got called in to cover a middle-school social studies teacher as her grandmother passed away right when she got to work.

What's the name of that Frenchwoman who sailed a fleet of vengeance after her husband and children were murdered by her political enemies?

https://www.rejectedprincesses.com/princesses/jeanne-de-clisson

RoyceSraphim on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

So, CK2 then?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

What's the name of that Frenchwoman who sailed a fleet of vengeance after her husband and children were murdered by her political enemies?

Daenerys Targaryen?

Elvenshae wrote: »

So, CK2 then?

With a healthy mix of Xena: Warrior Princess.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

I sat next to the photo copy machine at my old job and became the photocopier guru. There was only once or twice we had to call a tech and that is because we had a contract for service that precluded me getting into it and fixing it myself.

How many Adam Sandler movies have you cameoed in?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    I wish. He treats his people right. I wouldn't have to work at a job and become a photocopier guru if I was working in his movies.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    The only thing I have to add from my time as a signmaker at a print shop,
    is that it's really easy to do a short term fix in the wrong way.
    Then you have a copier working, but making shittier copies, or increasingly cascading into a series of hard jams.

Which is super bad, and things can get to a point where there isn't an easy "call the service company" fix.

Lots of printers nowadays are pretty good about having a self diagnostic function,
    with video directions on all the steps for dealing with stuff though,
    so the chance of a laymen fucking things up is diminished.

VayBJ4e.png

Do Arabic medieval history it's bonkers

• 101101 Registered User regular
    Some months back, my head of department decided they wanted a good chunk of our reports delivered as pdfs rather than powerpoints.

Then yesterday, same department head emails me

'hey 101 I need the reports in a PowerPoint for a meeting tomorrow morning'

At 4:30, as I'm heading out the door for a gp appointment.

Fortunately my boss covered for me and got the PowerPoint out, but good lord why is this an issue now.

Oh well, I'll spend my morning writing up some vba to output our reports in various formats. By the time I'm done my dept he's will be able to read them in Morse code if they want.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Was supposed to get out at noon today. Got a text from boss man saying I'll likely close. It's supposed to start storming at 1 and I was really looking forward to being under a blanket at home.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    Some months back, my head of department decided they wanted a good chunk of our reports delivered as pdfs rather than powerpoints.

Then yesterday, same department head emails me

'hey 101 I need the reports in a PowerPoint for a meeting tomorrow morning'

At 4:30, as I'm heading out the door for a gp appointment.

Fortunately my boss covered for me and got the PowerPoint out, but good lord why is this an issue now.

Oh well, I'll spend my morning writing up some vba to output our reports in various formats. By the time I'm done my dept he's will be able to read them in Morse code if they want.

So you added LaTeX output?

This discussion has been closed.