As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plasma TV burn in problem

PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I dunno if its a setting or something, or maybe my tv is a dud, but it seems to have a problem with burn in. I recently got a replacement samsung 42" plasma 720p. And game uis have been leaving a trace (only visible when the screen is completely white) most notably assasins creed and Call of Duty 4, my previous tv did not have this problem, and I wonder if its a setting on tv or maybe a bad tv? Anyone have any experience with this, or is this just a plasma tv problem? It also just seems to ghost anything left on the screen for a minute, like its own menu system will be up there for a bit if I turn the tv off, which makes me think its a problem with the tv.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
Preacher on

• Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Try lowering the contrast, by half if possible.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The contrast? What would that do? And thanks for answering.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Burn in is a permanent mark, which it doesn't sound like you have.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well I can do stuff to reduce it or make it go away, but I can still see an after image with some things when the screen is entirely white, I thought burn in only happend if the same image was on the screen for hours, not interrupted like the huds in games are. I mainly just worry because I spaz about things like this, especially in the wake of just having got this tv.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It does sound like a faulty TV.
    I would consider contacting where ever you bought it, this should not be happening. Burn in isn't even that big of an issue in modern day plasmas.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It does sound like a faulty TV.
    I would consider contacting where ever you bought it, this should not be happening. Burn in isn't even that big of an issue in modern day plasmas.

That's what I figured, I'll try the contrast thing someone suggested, maybe it appears to be burn in to me but it is actually something else turned way up? I dunno.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well I got home and out of a 100 my contrast was at 80, could that have been the source of the ghosting and burn in like symptoms?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheCapnTheCapn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a philips 720p TV that had a samsung panel that would ghost after a couple minutes . . it also had other problems(5 columns of bad pixels on the right side), but after I got it replaced stuff doesn't ghost like it used to.

And I have my contrast/brightness down around 50 or something, and I'll probably keep it there for another month or two.

TheCapn on
    Tacopants - a tasty comfortable combination.
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well I got home and out of a 100 my contrast was at 80, could that have been the source of the ghosting and burn in like symptoms?

That contrast is way too high, so turning it down will help.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    When you set this TV up, did you take it out of the box, plug it in, and voila?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The contrast is WAY to high and those are just after images and not real burn in.

I have a Samsung Plasma too and my contrast and brightness are both on 50.
    If I ever have slight after images, i use the little "correction tool" that sends a black border from right to left and the images are gone after two swipes.

I have to do this about 1 a month or so, so it's nothing bad.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know if plasmas have an option for "Back Light" but on my Samsung LCD I had issues with some 'ghosting' (not real burn in or anything, just sometimes images that move very quickly across a white back ground will leave trails of themselves). I fixed this by screwing around with Back Light, Contrast, and Brightness. My contrast / brightness is about 50 or 60 and my Back Light is down to 5 (rather than 10 which was the default) and all my problems went away.

As far as gaming, the Samsung "Game Mode" also helped.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ok thanks for the help, yeah I use the scrolling wipe protection. I turned the contrast down to 40, I'll check the brightness next. It still had ghost images though. Like I watched a dvd and after turning it off I could see the lines where the letterbox format was and the open from the dvd menu, they dont stick around when something else comes on the screen, but I worry about the more lasting images I see (like from the multiplayer of hud Cod4 or assasins creed).

Could it have been the contrast that made those images last more or is something else wrong with the tv? I just bought it on the 22nd so I either have 14 days or 30 days (or potentially till january 30th going off the reciept). Should I call them and ask what they think?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net