As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Eternal Card Game] Set two, Omens of the Past, released!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    And yet the strongest decks after set 4 released were Alessi aggro decks of various configurations. So much so that they needed to be nerfed. Maybe I'm seeing a different standard than you are, but the wraths available don't seem to be oppressive on the whole.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    It sounds like you're playing midrange, and running into a lot of control. Control has a big advantage over midrange - the general rule is, if you're one stage slower than your opponent, you have the advantage. If you're much FASTER than you're opponent, you have the advantage, hence aggro beating control.

Aggro loses to Midrange, which loses to Control, which loses to Aggro.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i built charge rod and i can't stop laughing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Av/post synergy

• Options
    i built charge rod and i can't stop laughing

nice hearthstone deck you got there

(because it's all rng lulz swing one-shot hurr hurr)

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    only when your opponent plays it, ofc

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I default to midrange because they can survive two board clears which my aggro decks can't. Although I guess the niggly part is I try to do Rakano and Feln aggro, which have a playable aegis unit or two but not enough to deal with a hand of three removal spells and four board clears, as opposed to Skycrag aggro that has multiple aegis units and Champ of Fury.

Like, I agree aggro will blast over control decks that are trying to Do Something (ie, revenge or crown decks) because they risk drawing combo pieces instead of removal, but my issue is more with the decks that are almost pure removal plus like a playset of Icaria and a Rizan or two and that's it. That deck has a very good aggro matchup while grinding midrange players' souls to dust. Then I suppose they lost to the combo decks that don't care when you kill their utility/recurring minions, but I'd really rather it not be that rock/paper/scissors.

Also yes, the Alessi deck is dumb, I ain't going to deny that :p My last game yesterday I died to a Battlemage that was Accelerated Evo'd twice and then Finest Hour'd twice on turn 5, which I had nothing to deal with because I didn't draw any of my sources of killer and the Finest Hour he'd consistently held up would have beaten it anyway.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm totally gonna stream today. And I'm going to be a rebel and play Sentinels!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Just saw a streamer try to add a fire sigil to their market by typing "mountain" into the search bar :rotate:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    I do that and I haven't played Magic in ~15 years ... I may have to go lie down.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    lmao almost lost a sealed game because it didn't give me a pause on their end step to cast Viper's Bite. Because it's a combat trick, I guess I can only play it if they're actually attacking or casting something for me to respond to? That's dumb.

Especially since they let you Sharpened Reflexes on their end step just because it says Scout on it.

Edit: I had a Wyrmstone equipped, is why it mattered.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Holy shit, Vanquisher's Blade empowers for only five? Why is not everyone playing that, that's broken as shit.

Edit: Like, I see a lot of hubbub over Cleaver and the Stand Together sword, but getting to seven mana for those is actually a cost.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So I built Kennadins yesterday.

This deck is RIDICULOUSLY fun to play. Really hard to play too, but so fun!

Which begs the question: what decks does everyone play? I have Icaria Blue, FJS Control, Skycraggo and Kennadins currently fully updated. I don’t play Skycraggo much though.

I also have TJP Mid and TJP Berserk but both are frankly quite outdated at this point.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    I'm playing a gunslinger aggro deck. Just hit Silver 1! I dont have the legendary count for some of the control decks.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I brew like five different decks every time I play; closest thing to an Actual Deck I have built out is Elysian Monstars (with 0 Behemoths and 1 Cirso). Could probably climb to at least diamond if I just grinded it but meh, memeing in Gold II it is.

Edit: I could almost certainly build Praxis Token pretty easily but also meh. Tried to craft out sentinel reanimator but the shuffler hates me way too much for that.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Kennadins is this set's Gearcruncher for me. Decks that I really want to play but can't get myself to pony up the stone for 8 legendaries that don't see much (any?) play outside those decks.

I mostly play mid-range decks since the "demise" of aggro. I still stubbornly play Stonescar Queen or Gunslingers from time-to-time but Skycrag is probably more viable.

I was seeing a lot of token and Alessi decks in my pocket. I've been trying to counter tokens with Elysian overwhelm or big Hooru (ft. Hailstorm). For the Alessi decks I just hope I can capitalize on opponent mistakes and race because a bajillion Stand Together's are always coming.

My favorite janky deck right now is probably FJS Xenan Fanatic burn(?) but it's not so good :P

• Options
    I'm so tired of TPJ. So, so tired.

• Options
    tfw you beat time midrange with a one hundred card pile because you went runehammer->harsh rule->harsh rule->harsh rule

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    tzpa0v60k2i11.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Game is really just trying its damndest to ruin my night. Multiple games lost to "whoops they curved into three Maktos!" "whoops that fucking tinker from the justice two drop buffed Makto!" "whoops those copperhall bailiff warcries hit Makto!" "whoops Icaria buffed Makto!" "whoops second Icaria buffed Makto again which they immediately drew!"

Literally five games of that shit, and they were the only games I lost. I started mid Gold II and was one win from Diamond III multiple times. In pretty much all of them they lost if Makto was shuffled 1-2 cards deeper.

Oh wait no sorry, I had one other loss by the one that went Rizan Rizan Harsh Rule Icaria Icaria. That'll also do it.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Sounds like me trying to win with Sentinels against Rakano last night.

*Fire Kiln*
    THIS
    *Fire Kiln + Sandstorm Titan*
    ENDS
    *Fire Kiln*
    NOW
    *Icaria*

• Options
    https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/introducing-interactive-twitch-drops/

eternal will be adding a form of twitch drops you can't just idle for

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

It's super rad and should hopefully be a great boon to the game's visibility on Twitch.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

It's super rad and should hopefully be a great boon to the game's visibility on Twitch.

Oh, I'm getting my hair did for this.

• Options
    Jammed through my 40 sealed games in 3-4 days and lucksacked my way to rank 205. Maybe I should have been playing these things instead of calling it quits as soon as I crack rank 10,000.

• Options
    Ugh, this game is such a tease. Played out my last ten sealed leaderboard games, ended up 25-15 and got to 490. After winning five more tiebreaker games I was at 491. No way I'm staying top 500 :c

I learned my lesson to never play the day packs are released, at least. That was my worst week with a 5-5.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    That is a deck that looks good.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    to be fair though, two of my wins were people who just never played anything and eventually lost on d/c

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So I know it makes me a monster, but I crafted Temporal Control.

And holy gods do I love it. It reminds me of the kind of Control decks I love to play in mtg. Just the ever tightening vice grip of death.

• Options
    I'm trying to force myself back into ranked but the amount of non-games is just staggering. Game after game of opponents who not only draw perfect answers to my cards but are able to establish their own board at the same time. Every game feels like a pull of the slot machine and I'm on a huge cold streak. I miss having actual decisions.

• Options
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I'm trying to force myself back into ranked but the amount of non-games is just staggering. Game after game of opponents who not only draw perfect answers to my cards but are able to establish their own board at the same time. Every game feels like a pull of the slot machine and I'm on a huge cold streak. I miss having actual decisions.

I've been playing Shadow Sentinels, because engine building is fun, but yeah, my opponents are mostly invincible.

• Options
    mmm, slaying your own ticking grenadin for lethal.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

That's why I quit the game. I think the mulligan system is the main culprit.

• Options
    I... actually like the mulligan system a lot? It really lowers the number of non-games compared to what can happen in MTG. Then again, mulliganing is an art, and Eternal does enable some snap-mulls as you just look and say 'well I'm guaranteed at least 2 power if I ship it'.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Next adventure/campaign is giving a bomb to removal.deck ...

4SS
    3/4
    Vara, Vengeance-Seeker
    Lifesteal
    Nothing can have an Aegis
    Summon: The enemy player must choose: Sacrifice a unit or give Vara +2/+2 and Deadly

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    Against all odds, LocoPojo just put a Deepforged Plate on a Carnosaur in draft.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    There's also an official tournament with prizes and stuff.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    @APODionysus - Thank you for not playing Temporal against me :P

• Options
    Kay wrote: »
    I... actually like the mulligan system a lot? It really lowers the number of non-games compared to what can happen in MTG. Then again, mulliganing is an art, and Eternal does enable some snap-mulls as you just look and say 'well I'm guaranteed at least 2 power if I ship it'.

Yeah, I don't know the math behind why the mulligan system is good in MtG but bad in Eternal.

Eternal having more cards and a 1/3 Power mandate is a problem, but I thought the mulligan answers that.