As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    You cant preview it

I need to know how stupid servbot/servbot/servbot looks

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    You cant preview it

I need to know how stupid servbot/servbot/servbot looks

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular

How nice of them to have Team Scrub initially shown on the web page

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    3 sentinels

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    can Marvel 5 be Marvel 2

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Apparently the plot is Kukri from kof14 kidnapped all the female fighters, dressed them up in skimpy outfits against their will and is making them fight in order to harvest their shame

Thats gonna be a Real Big No from me, dogg

This is not accurate.

Although I’m not sure the actual reason is better.

None of what’s happening is real or is happening to the real KoF fighters. It all takes place in Kukri’s dream dimension.

They are so accurate because he’s fought them all before and has magically accurate approximations of their personalities.

He’s having them fight so he can collect enough dream energy for it to BECOME real.

It is so accurate that he is recording what’s happening in his dreamspace, and dream Mai wants the video of girl Terry to be mailed to Real Mai, so she can show real Andy.

Thats gonna be a Real Big No from me, dogg

Hence the, “Not sure if better”

It’s essentially “She breathes through her SKIN” the videogame.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    can Marvel 5 be Marvel 2

It's just gonna be Marvel vs Marvel.

Disney will absorb Capcom and everything in its wake.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that my reg MVC2 team of Juggy, Sent and Blackheart would have too much Big Boy overlap.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

are these bootlegs, or do they actually have the capcom and marvel licences

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Are you a cop?

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am required by cop law to inform you that I am a cop if you ask me that, because I am a cop, yes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I had a hyped "I can't believe that worked" moment in BBTag yesterday. I was in Cross Combo in the corner and towards the end of it @Bryar got a skillful Hakumen counter off. I perfectly timed an Active Switch, took zero damage from the barely there invincibility frames, and continued combing his second character for a tiny bit more.

He got revenge later in other matches with brutal Izayoi mixups. I can't believe she's always in her good stance in Tag. :(

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Oh snap, Katarina f,f+2,4 is still an i13 launcher. The 2 extra frames added weren't on startup of the 2, they're on the 4 so it won't jail. Nice.

• Options
    Oh snap, Katarina f,f+2,4 is still an i13 launcher. The 2 extra frames added weren't on startup of the 2, they're on the 4 so it won't jail. Nice.

Is the 4 guaranteed when the f,f+2 is a CH?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    4z87xeas0pww.png
    I ain't saying it's the matchup
    but maybe it's the matchup

More seriously, I had no idea Phenom is counted as a Guile player? Has he actually been using Guile more this year than Necalli?

l_g on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    he's not, it's a mistake. he actually tweeted about it. my elite detective skills have concluded that the list is managed by a single parakeet anyway

guile is so good. he's better than menat. way better. Menat can be abused. In fact, Phenom was one of the first people to really shit on Menat in tournament in a high profile way

you can't maul Guile. he bites back

• Options
    edited September 2018
    l_g wrote: »

Is the 4 guaranteed when the f,f+2 is a CH?

Yeah, its a natural combo. Launches on hit. 2nd hit is just duckable on block now for the punish.

e: the 4 is guaranteed after a normal hit. True NC i13 launcher.

Knob on
  • Options
    Surprise, everyone

Cervantes announced for SC6

https://youtu.be/HDOtgbYacgQ

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    They finally added a feature where training mode measures guard damage. I've wanted that for the longest.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    On 1 hand, I need to stop using Claudio's df1, 2 so much

On 2 hand, 50% of people cannot seem to understand that it is a two-hit string, and launcher, and eat the second hit every goddamn time

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Derp. Forgot the old thread closed. Ah well, found my way back eventually. :P

Guess what else happened? The stars aligned and I finally finished my fightstick repaint.
    mwmvjd1x3mwi.jpg
    Feels good to be done, but also feels good to be able to play fighting games again. :D Also, surprising nobody I'm sure, Blade Strangers feels really good on stick where I was kinda let down by the joycons. I don't expect people to get super into that game, but I hope a bunch of you buy it because it seems like the sort of thing that would be good to 1) get more of and 2) give them a chance to refine at some point and 3) who knows, more weird characters for DLC?

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Tekken 7 is having a sale on Steam:

Tekken 7 also had sidesteps, which I am trying hard to get better at since I play chars with very strong SS buttons like Kazuya and Claudio
    My friend showed me this chart I've been referring to, and I am curious if the Tekken heads out there like @Knob know if it is actually good advice to follow

tekken-7-sidestep-character-spreadsheet.jpg

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Derp. Forgot the old thread closed. Ah well, found my way back eventually. :P

Guess what else happened? The stars aligned and I finally finished my fightstick repaint.
    mwmvjd1x3mwi.jpg
    Feels good to be done, but also feels good to be able to play fighting games again. :D Also, surprising nobody I'm sure, Blade Strangers feels really good on stick where I was kinda let down by the joycons. I don't expect people to get super into that game, but I hope a bunch of you buy it because it seems like the sort of thing that would be good to 1) get more of and 2) give them a chance to refine at some point and 3) who knows, more weird characters for DLC?

Damn, that's a pretty stick. Beautiful work.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    My friend showed me this chart I've been referring to, and I am curious if the Tekken heads out there like @Knob know if it is actually good advice to follow

I have a minor issue with these sidestep charts. On one hand they're better than nothing, I guess. But the problem is they're mindless and replacing an actual plan. You shouldn't be really blindly stepping randomly, you should be stepping to intentionally beat a certain option. Like, "I guess I'll randomly SSR a bunch because I'm playing against King" is gonna get yourself murderated. A few of King's key move definitely don't track well to his left, but he isn't helpless on that side. If I notice you're stepping right willy nilly hoping to slip something at random, I'm going to adjust my own play to cover my left and destroy random SS.

Or that Kazuya advice. "SSL a lot because it destroys the character!" No it fuckin' doesn't. It can sometimes get you away from random electrics, hellsweeps, and f,f+3 but Kaz can absolutely kill you on his right side if you're randomly stepping without thought.

So my thought is basically I guess they're a good starting point, but you should really know exactly what you're trying to SS before getting wild with it. If you don't have a solid read on their next move and how/if to step against it, you're probably better just blocking it out or even backdashing or something.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    On 1 hand, I need to stop using Claudio's df1, 2 so much

On 2 hand, 50% of people cannot seem to understand that it is a two-hit string, and launcher, and eat the second hit every goddamn time

Is it a natural combo? Or are they just challenging the second hit every time?

I have a minor issue with these sidestep charts. On one hand they're better than nothing, I guess. But the problem is they're mindless and replacing an actual plan. You shouldn't be really blindly stepping randomly, you should be stepping to intentionally beat a certain option. Like, "I guess I'll randomly SSR a bunch because I'm playing against King" is gonna get yourself murderated. A few of King's key move definitely don't track well to his left, but he isn't helpless on that side. If I notice you're stepping right willy nilly hoping to slip something at random, I'm going to adjust my own play to cover my left and destroy random SS.

Or that Kazuya advice. "SSL a lot because it destroys the character!" No it fuckin' doesn't. It can sometimes get you away from random electrics, hellsweeps, and f,f+3 but Kaz can absolutely kill you on his right side if you're randomly stepping without thought.

So my thought is basically I guess they're a good starting point, but you should really know exactly what you're trying to SS before getting wild with it. If you don't have a solid read on their next move and how/if to step against it, you're probably better just blocking it out or even backdashing or something.

One thing which confuses me a bit is that I'm not sure if I should be sidestepping in the direction "away" from a move or the direction "into" a move. When I do succeed in a sidestep/walk, it seems to be because I did it super far in advance, and when I failed I'm not sure if it's because the timing is wrong or the direction is wrong or both. Like, let's say you're looking at a generic move like Paul's standing 4. His leg moves from his right in the direction of his left. Should I be stepping towards his right ("into" the move, as if I were dodging in Dark Souls lets say), or should I be stepping to his left "(away" from his move)?

I presume that full homing moves (those with the sparkling trail) will hit you when you sidestep regardless of direction of sidestep if you are in range unless it's a special interaction (e.g. a high tracking move vs. Steve's command sidestep?).

l_g on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    If you are in SS or SW animation, homing moves will hit you.

Generally, you want to step 'into' the move. A standing 4 is a right kick, so you want to SSL. Keep in mind that all moves track differently. Just because a move is a right punch or right kick doesn't mean you can guaranteed SSL it. It might track well to that side. It might track to both sides. It might break the rule of thumb and track to the right but not the left. A SS might not avoid it, but maybe a SW will. Just gotta lab it out.

Knob on
  • Options

Generally, you want to step 'into' the move. A standing 4 is a right kick, so you want to SSL. Keep in mind that all moves track differently. Just because a move is a right punch or right kick doesn't mean you can guaranteed SSL it. It might track well to that side. It might track to both sides. It might break the rule of thumb and track to the right but not the left. A SS might not avoid it, but maybe a SW will. Just gotta lab it out.

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of moves that go against rules of thumb, but I'm still at the point where I don't even have the rules of thumb figured out yet!

If I'm not deliberately buffering into a move/sidestep at the end of a move, is there any cost in just entering a d/f as I go into recovery before I start holding backwards? If I'm doing a move that is relatively safe against the character I'm fighting against (i.e. it's not a situation where the frame advantage gives them a guaranteed punish), will I just get a free chance at a parry? Or is there quite a bit of time after a d/f has been entered where you can't block?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Figuring out what does and doesn't track is probably the biggest trial and error part of Tekken.

• Options

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of moves that go against rules of thumb, but I'm still at the point where I don't even have the rules of thumb figured out yet!

If I'm not deliberately buffering into a move/sidestep at the end of a move, is there any cost in just entering a d/f as I go into recovery before I start holding backwards? If I'm doing a move that is relatively safe against the character I'm fighting against (i.e. it's not a situation where the frame advantage gives them a guaranteed punish), will I just get a free chance at a parry? Or is there quite a bit of time after a d/f has been entered where you can't block?

Not the greatest idea. You don't get locked out of blocking by tapping df, but say your opponent has like a 14f low d+4 and a 14f mid df+2. Pretty common. If you tap df super quick and go to block, your df input is gone by the time the low is active. You'll block the mid, but get hit by the low. You need to be registering the df during the frame the low hits you, or you don't get the parry. You can be really early with the df, but it has to be held when the low becomes active. Which means if they did the df+2 then you're in crouch and got hit. Doesn't even have to be the same frames. 13f df+1 and 15f d+4 means theres only a 2f window you can play with. Not humanly feasible.

Tapping df then holding back can be a good idea against some strings with a mid/low mixup in them, sort of like a fuzzy guard with a parry instead of a low block. There has to be a difference in timing between the mid and low though or you'll die as described above.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I'm having way more fun playing Heihachi than I ever did playing Leo/Shaheen. He's hard as shit and I'm terrible, of course, but it's a fun kind of terrible.

Right now I'm pretty consistent on electrics in training mode from neutral but hit it maybe 20% of the time in a real match situation out of movement/buffered out of recovery.

I think I just need to go for it more in actual matches to get used to it. I keep avoiding it cause "what if I fuck up" but honestly who cares?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    If you do a normal wgf and it hit, they still got launched. If they blocked, you're -10 with a little pushback and they have to visually process that it wasn't a real ewgf. People miss the punish on wgf all the time. Just Do It.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    FD|Fujimura (Ibuki) vs. CYG|Chris Tatarian (Ken)
    801 Strider (G) vs. XSK Samurai (Akuma)
    RB|Snake Eyez (Akuma) vs. DouyuTV|Xiao Hai (Cammy)
    UYU|OilKing (Rashid) vs. FOX|Momochi (Kolin)
    MJ|Gama (Cammy) vs. CO|Dogura (Urien)
    FAV|Sako (Menat) vs. CYG|GamerBee (Cammy)
    BCF|Commander Jesse (Dhalsim) vs. AB|StormKubo (Abigail)
    Liquid|John Takeuchi (Rashid) vs. RB|Bonchan (Karin)

Losers bracket:
    Toi (M. Bison) vs. SB|JB (Rashid)
    CYG|Daigo Umehara (Guile) vs. TSD|Serpentaurus (Zeku)
    FE|Humanbomb (Chun-Li) vs. Stupendous (Zangief)
    WN|Shine (Ibuki) vs. Dankadillas (Dhalsim)
    Neon (Kolin) vs. DNG|Itabashi Zangief (Abigail)
    Ponos|Moke (Cammy)
    ChrisCCH (Guile) vs. FD|Haitani (Akuma)
    FOX|Justin Wong (Menat) vs. FOX|Punk (Karin)

SCR top 32 is on now!

It's been a bloodbath so far!

Drowned in pools:
    FOX|Tokido (Akuma)
    UYU|Brian_F (Balrog)
    Mago (Cammy)
    EG|NYChrisG (Ibuki)
    Ghost|NuckleDu (R. Mika, Guile)
    GGP|Kazunoko (Cammy)
    CYG|Fuudo (R. Mika)

Brolo on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Fujimura and Daigo both out, 1st round of top 32

• Options
    edited September 2018

Not the greatest idea. You don't get locked out of blocking by tapping df, but say your opponent has like a 14f low d+4 and a 14f mid df+2. Pretty common. If you tap df super quick and go to block, your df input is gone by the time the low is active. You'll block the mid, but get hit by the low. You need to be registering the df during the frame the low hits you, or you don't get the parry. You can be really early with the df, but it has to be held when the low becomes active. Which means if they did the df+2 then you're in crouch and got hit. Doesn't even have to be the same frames. 13f df+1 and 15f d+4 means theres only a 2f window you can play with. Not humanly feasible.

Tapping df then holding back can be a good idea against some strings with a mid/low mixup in them, sort of like a fuzzy guard with a parry instead of a low block. There has to be a difference in timing between the mid and low though or you'll die as described above.

Yeah, definitely still got plenty of holes in it! The thing I'm driving at is that if I'm already committing to the idea of blocking high, then I'd have gotten thumped by the low anyway, but if I'm already committing to the idea of blocking high, does this parry input cost me anything while giving me a little bit extra coverage? I'm thinking of it as being a sort of option select that isn't perfect, but still gives me just a bit more when I'm committing to a particular decision where I anticipate that it's too risky to commit to blocking low and trying to react high.

l_g on
  • Options
    A 10 string!? In a tournament...and it worked!

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Momochi's counters make me wish my brain could understand Kolin.

C'mon Punk, he gave you the hat, you can do this

SonicPunk is the best player in the world. I can't believe he got 5 crouching medium punches in a row.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Momochi's counters make me wish my brain could understand Kolin.

C'mon Punk, he gave you the hat, you can do this

SonicPunk is the best player in the world. I can't believe he got 5 crouching medium punches in a row.

Did they do the fusion dance? I regret missing this tournament!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    No matter how the rest of top 32 shakes out, tekken top 8 is guaranteed to be 6 Americans and 2 Koreans

...fucking chet chetty is in top 8 of a TWT major. Ell Oh Ell.

• Options
    Damn, PLing knocked out. The Lei dream is dead

Tekken 7 Top 8
    Winners
    Joey Fury vs Dimeback
    Jimmy vs Speedkicks

Losers
    Shadow20z vs Chet
    Jackie Tran vs Saint

3 Jacks
    1 Asuka