As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Did anyone here play Cabbie? It’s an old 1971 Taxi game based in London.

pliemo1u3cqz.jpeg

My sister still owns our copy from when I was a kid. I’m still trying to get her to send it my way. Seems like a game that could do with a modern remake.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Did anyone here play Cabbie? It’s an old 1971 Taxi game based in London.

pliemo1u3cqz.jpeg

My sister still owns our copy from when I was a kid. I’m still trying to get her to send it my way. Seems like a game that could do with a modern remake.

We used to play London Cabbie when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure my parents still have it in their basement. I should borrow it and give it a play for old times sake.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think edutainment board games fall into a bit of an awkward spot for me and end up being limited in both education and entertainment. There's definitely a audience for them, but I don't think I'm in it. (I'm thinking of games like Dog Eat Dog and Train.)

I have Freedom, and while it doesn't hit the table often, it has been enjoyable when it has.
    So we just got done playing our first real game of legacy. By that I mean we started February, got to open boxes, stickers , and got to experience what a legacy game us all about. I didn't realize this was coming so it took longer to set up than I planned, but man was that fun and exciting!

I think we may be hooked on legacy games.

Also, I really need to stay on top of things. I'll move the infection marker up and forget it's 3 cards per infection cycle instead of 2. Not sure how long I was doing that for before I realized.

Opening boxes and secret envelopes feels so good. We do it in player order so everyone can enjoy it. I think we are doing terrible in our Pandemic Legacy run, but I always look forward to playing it, I just want to open more boxes and see what comes next.

I think we're about to hit some hard times.

Oh you have no idea.

Please be sure to keep us posted!

Is it weird that this makes me even more excited to play?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think edutainment board games fall into a bit of an awkward spot for me and end up being limited in both education and entertainment. There's definitely a audience for them, but I don't think I'm in it. (I'm thinking of games like Dog Eat Dog and Train.)

I have Freedom, and while it doesn't hit the table often, it has been enjoyable when it has.
    So we just got done playing our first real game of legacy. By that I mean we started February, got to open boxes, stickers , and got to experience what a legacy game us all about. I didn't realize this was coming so it took longer to set up than I planned, but man was that fun and exciting!

I think we may be hooked on legacy games.

Also, I really need to stay on top of things. I'll move the infection marker up and forget it's 3 cards per infection cycle instead of 2. Not sure how long I was doing that for before I realized.

Opening boxes and secret envelopes feels so good. We do it in player order so everyone can enjoy it. I think we are doing terrible in our Pandemic Legacy run, but I always look forward to playing it, I just want to open more boxes and see what comes next.

I think we're about to hit some hard times.

Oh you have no idea.

Please be sure to keep us posted!

Is it weird that this makes me even more excited to play?

Absolutely not.

Season 1 is the gift that keeps giving. After you've experienced it, you get to watch other people experience it while you know what's coming. It's great, and everyone's run is just different enough that the stories are unique.

Season 2 doesn't do that nearly as well, although one narrative twist (no real gameplay impact) there was well done.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Ffffffffart! In my excitement for the sweet score of Descent 1st edition, I didn't go though everything throughly. I finally had time to sit down with it and realized the quest guide is a second booklet... Which isn't included in the box. :(

Otherwise everything else looks to be there.

So if anyone has any leads on a physical copy or a pdf I'm all ears.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    BGG is down atm but that's the place to look. There might be a PDF there, or someone with parts that you could work something out with.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Can confirm that Welcome To... is great. Really easy to learn and play but with a lot of choices going on. My only regret is the guy who had it hasn't brought it for months.

Although I hadn't heard of the roundabout until that video.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Are there any 6 player COIN games? Or any streamlined / lite version of COIN games for 5-6?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Are there any 6 player COIN games? Or any streamlined / lite version of COIN games for 5-6?

Root!

(with the expansion)

admanb on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Glory To Rome is lots of fun but has a huge caveat: after your first learning game or two the game devolves down into a race to see who can build a totally broken unbeatable combo first. As long as everyone is aware of that its fun. But if people are expecting something more elegantly designed, like Through the Ages, they will be frustrated.

If you aren't playing with newbies expect every game to end with someone having infinite stuff or a turn that could theoretically last forever or some such craziness.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Glory To Rome is lots of fun but has a huge caveat: after your first learning game or two the game devolves down into a race to see who can build a totally broken unbeatable combo first. As long as everyone is aware of that its fun. But if people are expecting something more elegantly designed, like Through the Ages, they will be frustrated.

If you aren't playing with newbies expect every game to end with someone having infinite stuff or a turn that could theoretically last forever or some such craziness.

So the game is actually a bit broken? Turns lasting forever isn't really upping my excitement :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

So the game is actually a bit broken? Turns lasting forever isn't really upping my excitement :)

Thaaaats just the end though. Like MTG or others, once you go infinite, you tend to just win, or at least hit the game end condition. And at least it's actually about the interesting choices you made along the way, unlike innovation, which is my least favorite, "and then some bullshit happened" simulator. I've won games of that and walked away madder at the game than any game I've lost.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Yeah every experience I’ve had with Innvation has been miserable. It’s to the same level of wincing pain I feel whenever someone wants to bust it out as Exploding Kittens.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    (iPad auto correct is the worst thing )

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover and other people looking for a table: boardgametables.com has their kickstarter up for their Jasper table. I own one of their custom ones and I can speak highly of their quality. Base price is $599.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    This weekend I had a planned 5-person board game afternoon turn into a 3 person afternoon, but we were still able to get some games in.

First, we played Lanterns. I really like this game. For the amount of random tile drawing, it lasts pretty much the ideal amount of time. The table looks pretty afterwards (which my partner loves), and there's just enough space for clever/strategic play to be engaging, but not so much that it's hard to teach or explain. One of my go-to openers. My partner, who has 0 confidence in her ability to win competitive games in general, and no confidence in her ability to win games against me specifically, won this one pretty handily. Happily, this means that she's starting to ask me about some of the more complicated/competitive games that have sat on my shelf, forlorn and lonely...

Next, we played Photosynthesis. Another beautiful game with simple rules that's over right as you're itching for another turn or two to finish your plans. I really like this game, although I'm starting to wonder if the strategic space is somewhat limited. So far, almost every person who's won the game has been the first person to get a seed onto the center space. Again, my partner won this one by stealing my strategy from our last play (weeks? ago), and executing it faster and with a clever twist. I did end up with 69 points though, so I felt some consolation there.

Last, I finally got to open Mechs vs Minions. I've had it since Wave 2 shipped, but I didn't want to open it unless I could also play it with some folks. First of all, people were not kidding when they say this is the most over produced, over designed, over the top box full of toys I have ever seen. The organization in the box ALONE is enough to make me just grin and spew words in sheer joy and appreciation. Custom trays for every single piece in the game, WITH CLEAR COVERS, divets in the plastic that allow for ANY of the minion figures to fit in ANY of the slots (which is great because there are SO MANY MINIONS HOLY MOLY), cut outs that have space for the rules books....just...I can't handle how nice the box is.

Speaking of lots of minions, slight spoiler for mission #2:
    This isn't even all the minions in the box...
    t39kb7i67qz8.jpg

But the actual game play was also great. So far we were able to win each mission fairly handily, though it was touch and go at moments. I love the drafting mechanic, I love the command line procedure (I'm a sucker for games like Wings of War/Glory, and X-Wing with the multiple turns at a time planning phases). Both my partner and my friend thoroughly enjoyed it. My friend is an avid video gamer, and lover of older card games (e.g. Bridge / some other game I can't remember the name of), but hasn't played many board games. My partner is a former MTG casual player, but otherwise doesn't really play games much. She and I met because I decided to run a game of D&D on roll20 for some friends across the country, and one of those friends brought her along.

I love games, you guys. They're real good.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    This weekend I had a planned 5-person board game afternoon turn into a 3 person afternoon, but we were still able to get some games in.

First, we played Lanterns. I really like this game. For the amount of random tile drawing, it lasts pretty much the ideal amount of time. The table looks pretty afterwards (which my partner loves), and there's just enough space for clever/strategic play to be engaging, but not so much that it's hard to teach or explain. One of my go-to openers. My partner, who has 0 confidence in her ability to win competitive games in general, and no confidence in her ability to win games against me specifically, won this one pretty handily. Happily, this means that she's starting to ask me about some of the more complicated/competitive games that have sat on my shelf, forlorn and lonely...

Next, we played Photosynthesis. Another beautiful game with simple rules that's over right as you're itching for another turn or two to finish your plans. I really like this game, although I'm starting to wonder if the strategic space is somewhat limited. So far, almost every person who's won the game has been the first person to get a seed onto the center space. Again, my partner won this one by stealing my strategy from our last play (weeks? ago), and executing it faster and with a clever twist. I did end up with 69 points though, so I felt some consolation there.

Last, I finally got to open Mechs vs Minions. I've had it since Wave 2 shipped, but I didn't want to open it unless I could also play it with some folks. First of all, people were not kidding when they say this is the most over produced, over designed, over the top box full of toys I have ever seen. The organization in the box ALONE is enough to make me just grin and spew words in sheer joy and appreciation. Custom trays for every single piece in the game, WITH CLEAR COVERS, divets in the plastic that allow for ANY of the minion figures to fit in ANY of the slots (which is great because there are SO MANY MINIONS HOLY MOLY), cut outs that have space for the rules books....just...I can't handle how nice the box is.

t39kb7i67qz8.jpg

But the actual game play was also great. So far we were able to win each mission fairly handily, though it was touch and go at moments. I love the drafting mechanic, I love the command line procedure (I'm a sucker for games like Wings of War/Glory, and X-Wing with the multiple turns at a time planning phases). Both my partner and my friend thoroughly enjoyed it. My friend is an avid video gamer, and lover of older card games (e.g. Bridge / some other game I can't remember the name of), but hasn't played many board games. My partner is a former MTG casual player, but otherwise doesn't really play games much. She and I met because I decided to run a game of D&D on roll20 for some friends across the country, and one of those friends brought her along.

Did you go to the website and play the audio logs that go with each mission?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I cracked open Star Wars: Imperial Assault for the first time in order to learn the game. Box size aside, it's actually really approachable! There aren't a lot of rules around the actual mechanics, at least nothing too hard to remember. If there is a downside , however, it's that the game doesn't include figures for a number of its units. So you've got a bunch of plastic goodness alongside cardboard character tokens. Oh, but latter can be replaced with purchasable character packs! This game is going to get costly. I knew it had character packs prior to buying the game, but not that the core boxes come incomplete. Ffffffff

The good news is that the cardboard tokens are mostly only used for characters that show up in a single scenario. You may not even run into those characters at all during a given playthrough of the campaign! The main exception is
    General Weiss

who you may see as many as three times (or, again, as few as never).

Alternatively, if the rebels unlock an Ally or the imperial player unlocks a Villain, then those units could end up on the table in every mission, though for the most part unlocking those requires already owning that expansion.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    JustTee wrote: »

t39kb7i67qz8.jpg

Did you go to the website and play the audio logs that go with each mission?

....what!!!!!!?!?!?!?! BRB

Edit:
    [SCREAMING INTERNALLY]

But seriously. Who at Riot was just like, let's blow $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for fun on a board game we absolutely don't need to make, at an absolutely ridiculous low price, and fill it with things that nobody else even thinks about doing?!?

JustTee on
    Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    They pretty much made it for their own entertainment rather than profit.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    @MNC Dover and other people looking for a table: boardgametables.com has their kickstarter up for their Jasper table. I own one of their custom ones and I can speak highly of their quality. Base price is $599.

I shouldn't be in this thread. I'm looking at buying one of these now, although that $600 is deceptive. At that price it doesn't include the table topper, which is basically essential. With the topper and shipping, it comes in at just under $1000. Could be worth it, but I'll need to convince the wife first.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's real price is with the topper.

I'm envious though, as I would need something that can seat 10-12 if I was going to replace my current dining table.

It would be neat to be able to stow this someplace and then use it for game nights that don't have as many people. Even then I'd want the topper to protect the play surface when not in use.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

I shouldn't be in this thread. I'm looking at buying one of these now, although that $600 is deceptive. At that price it doesn't include the table topper, which is basically essential. With the topper and shipping, it comes in at just under $1000. Could be worth it, but I'll need to convince the wife first.

Are you actually using the table as a dining room table also? Mine is a secondary table in the basement and I haven't felt a NEED for the topper although I am kind of regretting not getting it for two reasons: minimizes dust and dog hair (how? I don't even understand how it gets there) from getting on top and I find the idea of being able to start with a filler game, and then remove the top and voila! The main course is already set up underneath. Or, playing the big game, and not having to put it away and just immediately move on to setting up the next thing. Those are admittedly luxuries, but the cost of getting the topper added on NOW is a lot higher due to repeat shipping.

Of course, if it is for your dining room then it's pretty obviously needed.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yeah, it's real price is with the topper.

I'm envious though, as I would need something that can seat 10-12 if I was going to replace my current dining table.

It would be neat to be able to stow this someplace and then use it for game nights that don't have as many people. Even then I'd want the topper to protect the play surface when not in use.

I'm so sad to be broke, but this makes me happy to see an arguably prettier table from people who sound way more reliable.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I just need to build my own, dang it.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      The wife and I talked it over and we've decided to back the 2nd Breakfast table. It's cheaper, can be picked up locally, and includes more features. Obviously the biggest concern is whether they can pull this off or not.

Crossing fingers.

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      Played Viticulture Essential Edition, which I guess has some expansion stuff but maybe not all of it? I dunno but it was really fun. Lots of randomness that could go either way game to game I guess, but the seasonal worker placement spots are neat and getting/playing good synergistic cards is fun. Definitely a good lighter worker placement game. I might actually pick it up sometime, as the only other light worker placement game we have is Waterdeep which I'm kinda meh on.

• Options
      JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
      Anyone here heading to GrandCon this weekend, perchance?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    • Options
      ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      Vitaculture is absolutely great as a "definitely swingy, but still pretty damn fun" lighter strategy game. It feels nice to do everything the game requires you to do. I quite look forward to trying out the new visitors expansion I picked up at some point.
      I don't remember what EXACTLY Essentials does, but I know it made Mamas and Papas baseline (which just give asymmetrical startup and I wish I had), included the rules and components for selling fields, the upgraded components (fixed glass beads and such), and an assortment of balance revisions that came along in time. It's a solid box.

• Options
      edited September 2018
      Looking at it, it had a different board with 4 seasons and a little area control map and expanded turn order bonus stuff, and another type of card (structure cards). I don't know that I would like it at all without the expanded board, it seems like it would not be interesting enough to justify it's length at that point.

The 4 season worker placement stuff with certain actions only available in certain seasons was literally the thing that I liked about the game. I honestly can't believe that's not a base game thing.

Ah_Pook on
    • Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      That'd be the Tuscany EE expansion.

Shame, I really like it a lot, but we don't get to play it because my sister doesn't like playing it.

• Options
      DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      The Visit from the Rhine Valley expansion for Viticulture makes the game a bit less swingy.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • Options
      Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
      Is anyone planning on going to SHUX this year? I really want to go to PAX Unplugged eventually, but SHUX saves me flying, so I'm kind of considering it last minute.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • Options
      LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
      I'm going to SHUX! My first time in Canada too, I'm hyped.

• Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      I'll be working the Megagames at SHUX. See you there!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
      I have never been to a convention but SHUX interested me. Unfortunately it would be a $1000+ trip for me so it is not in the books this year.

• Options
      A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
      edited September 2018
      I will be SHUXing again this year. Last year was a phenomenal experience.

I'll be playing in the Heir to Empire megagame.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
      vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
      Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    • Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Since we're running 4 games this time, I'll only be working 2 or maybe 3 of them. I don't know if I'll be assigned the Heirs of a Shattered Empire. Maybe see you at that one Thelonius!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      Played our first game of Lords of Hellas tonight, and really enjoyed it! We had a slightly weird game where a hunting victory came out of nowhere and seemed hard to stop, but we noticed that both other players could easily have secured other objectives if they'd put their mind to it. We also may have played a rule wrong which certainly didn't help, but all in all I was really pleased with the game. It's a very different sort of dudes on a map game that feels almost sandboxy, and is a bit looser with the randomness - but was really fun as a result.

• Options
      Prepped for big company this weekend. Player count could go from as low as six to a maximum of thirteen, but nine is the likeliest headcount. Hopefully my brother-in-law can pick up the slack when we split up groups so he can teach games as well.

Games I'm thinking of getting out for playing:
      - Mascarade
      - Codenames
      - Cockroach Poker (Proxy)
      - Sushi Go Party
      - Formula D
      - Potato Pirates
      - Samurai Spirit
      - Century Spice Road, Unearth, Love Letter (for any latecomers while the others are playing)

I really hope we also get a chance to play 7 Wonders as I just got the Anniversary Packs. They're gorgeous!

This discussion has been closed.