As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vacation's over in the [Jobs] thread

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Definitely email cause you want to have a clear record of what was said

oh no i emailed a response immediately that said, effectively, "ah...no?" but I just wanted to double check with some experts

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I didn't know there were people who actually use the toilet seat cover.

Just take some paper towels and dip it into the bowl and wipe down the seat like the rest of us, drez.

I used to work with a germophobe that kept a pretty tight lid on it but gave away two tells that I know of.

On one occasion, someone at a table with him accidentally reached out and touched his water glass before figuring out that it wasn't theirs. Just touched the sides. He freaked the fuck out. Like, got red in the face and started stammering and needed to get a new glass.

On one other occasion, something happened in the office one day that required a rapid response (maybe a fire alarm? I can't remember) and he was forced to leave the bathroom in a hurry. We all knew that when he went in there he took way longer than one would normally expect but, whatever, people poop at different paces. On this day though, the next person in discovered an impossibly intricate nest around the toilet seat, made of literally dozens of seat covers. I don't just mean a stack of seat covers. We're talking carefully woven together and around the seat.

Guy was a character.

I’ve been explicitly called out on my OCD and germaphobia by one of my coworker friends and after that I stopped giving a fuck about trying to hide it.

I’m not that annoying though. It’s mostly like opening a door with my hand in my coat pocket. Or overuse of hand sanitizer.

So my friend’s attempt to shame me just made it more blatant on my part.

I feel like this is a really good response to this sort of thing.

someone wants to fuck with you about your neuro shit? Turn it into an arms race.

There are very, very few people who are actually, genuinely neurotypical. Just a matter of granularity.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    This morning I got called in to cover a middle-school social studies teacher as her grandmother passed away right when she got to work.

So now I am teaching medieval history to 7th-graders for the entire week.

you should try and sneak our favorite medievalist in for a guest lecture on anarchism in the middle ages

And that would be???

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    This morning I got called in to cover a middle-school social studies teacher as her grandmother passed away right when she got to work.

So now I am teaching medieval history to 7th-graders for the entire week.

you should try and sneak our favorite medievalist in for a guest lecture on anarchism in the middle ages

And that would be???

do you not know dustin? nevermind then!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    By the way, I had to perform a lecture on The Middle Ages instead of having the kids learn about the day-to-day world of serfs & such.

So I just wanted to hit the important points for the 7th graders:

-- The fall of Rome and all of its flaws. The kids really enjoyed learning about the hedonism of purging as well as Incitatus the horse senator.

-- The Catholic Church was the most powerful & sinister force around.

-- Being a peasant sucked.

-- Eat the rich.

-- The death of scientists for impiety.

You know, just the important stuff.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I finally broke down and told my project manager that he was being too aggressive with a timeline, and that we need to do this right and not corrupt our data rather than rush it out the door. I said this with a couple of our customers/partners in the room. Specifically I said that as the system's admin, I wouldn't let the integration corrupt our primary student information system.

That left him kind of speechless.

On one hand I'm worried I've upset him or our customers. On the other I'm glad I finally got to say that out loud.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Earlier today I was in the bathroom and somebody knocked on a neighboring stall door

The occupant said "seat's taken" like that asshole kid on the bus in Forrest Gump

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    The bathroom in our new office is really weird, like they were confused by the fact that it needed to have a shower in it, so it's absolutely huge. The toilet is in the corner but without a stall, so everyone has this paranoia about making sure the door is locked because if someone opens it it's not like you can put your hand up to stop it like in a stall. You're just the guy in the distance sitting on a toilet.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My question is this

If one has a designated meal break time, and one does make any effort whatsoever to take one's break (as in, sitting at one's computer playing on one's phone), does the organization still owe it?

Because if so there's gonna be a real problem here in a bit, because my break comes up right after, and I'm not intending to miss mine. Or to be late going, either.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    One of the perks of my job is the uninfused samples. Delicious free candies and chocolates that I can eat while on the job!

However, the brownie I just tried was not a brownie. It tasted a little like a healthy carob/date monstrosity masquerading as a brownie. Why the fuck would you not make your brownies taste good?! If it doesn’t taste nice when uninfused, I bet it tastes really nasty when infused.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    "and whatever"

I don't want to presume that I know what will set off a thundering overture inside minor incident's gastrointestinal tract better than they do.

DarkPrimus on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    On the flip side of that, I work with a guy who will regularly go take a shit while on a phone call.

But (and this is my favorite part), he doesn't flush. If you wander into the bathroom after one of his teleconference shits and say anything about it, he'll calmly explain that his headset doesn't have a mute button so obviously he can't flush the toilet or the people on the other end will hear, and he's not an animal.

Is it a single bathroom or multiple stalls? Because I'm thinking pulling up in the stall next to him and unleashing the thunder might produce some results.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    On the flip side of that, I work with a guy who will regularly go take a shit while on a phone call.

But (and this is my favorite part), he doesn't flush. If you wander into the bathroom after one of his teleconference shits and say anything about it, he'll calmly explain that his headset doesn't have a mute button so obviously he can't flush the toilet or the people on the other end will hear, and he's not an animal.

Is it a single bathroom or multiple stalls? Because I'm thinking pulling up in the stall next to him and unleashing the thunder might produce some results.

Fortunately they are private bathrooms, one stall and sink per bathroom.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    For the last year and few months I have been working effectively two full time positions (two different businesses) ranging between 60-80 hours a week. In an effort to move up in career opportunities and better pay/situation I have been applying to full time, one department, year round positions at the university I been working at close to 8 years now (currently working two part-time-combined-into-full-time, 9-month positions with a temporary part time job during the summer). After applying to nearly a dozen positions over the last year and after making a concerted effort the last couple of months to network with employees within the main IT department on campus I was able to get a couple of phone interviews within the past month. Both phone interviews went well; one position I didn't get and the other position I am waiting to hear back from hopefully by the end of this week.

This is a pretty condensed summary of where I am at right now but at the risk of rambling and soap-boxing I trimmed out the extra reasoning/motivations/drama/etc.

To further tl;dr: Trying to job situation better; the struggle is real; I'm really tired.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    My question is this

If one has a designated meal break time, and one does make any effort whatsoever to take one's break (as in, sitting at one's computer playing on one's phone), does the organization still owe it?

Because if so there's gonna be a real problem here in a bit, because my break comes up right after, and I'm not intending to miss mine. Or to be late going, either.

At my last library, we had a hat for this specific reason.

We only had two computers in the back room, and sometimes it was hard to tell if you were using the computer to conduct library business or if you were using the computer because you were on break and you were looking up funny pictures of owls. We also had a glittery sombrero for reasons lost to history.

So if you were on your break or at lunch, you put on the Leisure Sombrero so that people either knew not to disturb you or knew that they could kick you off the computer if they had actual work to do.

It is, to this day, one of my proudest accomplishments as a manager.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    My coworkers were actually glad that I was back today!

My anxiety about maybe being fired when I returned was unfounded, just as I suspected!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    In my last class of the day I had a bunch of really good kids so I just went hog-wild in how horrifically terrible the Dark Ages were for people.

One girl, near the end of class, screamed at me, "It sounds awful! Awful! AWFUL!!!"

You're damn right.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The bathroom in our new office is really weird, like they were confused by the fact that it needed to have a shower in it, so it's absolutely huge. The toilet is in the corner but without a stall, so everyone has this paranoia about making sure the door is locked because if someone opens it it's not like you can put your hand up to stop it like in a stall. You're just the guy in the distance sitting on a toilet.

Reminds me of one of the men's rooms at work. It's big enough to be multiple occupancy. Except there's the little wall by the door so you can't see people doing their business if the door is open. So seems like sticking a urinal behind there would be convenient.

Okay, now let's do a stall. It's gotta be handicap accessible so there's a minimum size, and we can't put the door next to the urinal.

So what we end up with is a bathroom with one urinal squeezed between a wall and a stall, and one enormous stall, like 10 feet long.

steam_sig.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Also worth pointing out that the dude who tried to take his finger off is a professional engineer.

Engineers are either total gearheads or 100% unsuitable for field work of any kind.

Source: I am the latter kind

To follow up on this:

This morning, I went to make a fresh pot of coffee, and started by throwing the old filter+grounds into the sink and pouring the boiling hot dregs of the old pot into the trashcan.

I'm already justifying my raise

If it makes it feel better, if I had a nickel every time I did the exact same thing, I’d have enough to buy a fancy dinner, annoying the waiter a lot.

And I work in a coffee shop.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    In my last class of the day I had a bunch of really good kids so I just went hog-wild in how horrifically terrible the Dark Ages were for people.

One girl, near the end of class, screamed at me, "It sounds awful! Awful! AWFUL!!!"

You're damn right.

Just remind them that eating the rich is always an option.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Feeling a little odd about work. About a month ago I was passed up for a Manager position, I am a Team Lead now. Over the summer one of the other Team Leads asked HR a question about our responsibilities. Long story short HR's response was "You're a Team Lead, not a Supervisor." Except there is no supervisor position for our team, we report directly to the manager. It felt really diminishing to hear that response from HR.

So I bring this up in a meeting with the VP. And she agrees with me. (If you looked at our job responsibilities we would be closer to a Coordinator at other institutions.) So the VP tells me that she is going to talk with our newly-hired director and look into reclassing the job as a Supervisor position.

One of the other things our team has been pushing for is Full-time positions for the floor team that we run. Working at a museum is great, but people need to eat AND pay rent. And that isn't feasible working part-time making slightly-above minimum wage. VP says full-time may not the huge ask it has been in the past.

What is making my spider-sense tingle is the thought that right now, our team fluctuates between 30-40 people. With 4 Leads. I do not think that if they reclass our job that they would need/want 4 Supervisors however. I think part of the reasoning of higher-ups is they make two of us Supervisors, and take the Team Lead position and make that the Full Time Facilitator positions. And I think the other two current Team Leads would probably be let go.

To top it off, I was scheduled for a meeting with our new Director for this coming Friday

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Did you get in to Charlemagne at all? Or Alfred the Great?

Edit:Alfred not Alexander

Weaver on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Feeling a little odd about work. About a month ago I was passed up for a Manager position, I am a Team Lead now. Over the summer one of the other Team Leads asked HR a question about our responsibilities. Long story short HR's response was "You're a Team Lead, not a Supervisor." Except there is no supervisor position for our team, we report directly to the manager. It felt really diminishing to hear that response from HR.

So I bring this up in a meeting with the VP. And she agrees with me. (If you looked at our job responsibilities we would be closer to a Coordinator at other institutions.) So the VP tells me that she is going to talk with our newly-hired director and look into reclassing the job as a Supervisor position.

One of the other things our team has been pushing for is Full-time positions for the floor team that we run. Working at a museum is great, but people need to eat AND pay rent. And that isn't feasible working part-time making slightly-above minimum wage. VP says full-time may not the huge ask it has been in the past.

What is making my spider-sense tingle is the thought that right now, our team fluctuates between 30-40 people. With 4 Leads. I do not think that if they reclass our job that they would need/want 4 Supervisors however. I think part of the reasoning of higher-ups is they make two of us Supervisors, and take the Team Lead position and make that the Full Time Facilitator positions. And I think the other two current Team Leads would probably be let go.

To top it off, I was scheduled for a meeting with our new Director for this coming Friday

Was the meeting with the director on the books before or after your talk with the VP?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I work with kids.

I assume at all times I am covered in bacteria.

It's funny when we get prac teachers in. They have not built up an immunity and they all, always get sick from being here.

Saying that, mine isn't perfect as I am currently being knocked around by the flu.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Working grocery is the same. You get average five thousand customers a day plus coworkers and foodstuffs shipped in from all over the planet.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Earlier today I was in the bathroom and somebody knocked on a neighboring stall door

The occupant said "seat's taken" like that asshole kid on the bus in Forrest Gump

I'm upset you didn't chime in with "can't sit here" in the same accent.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I may need to take a mental health day. I feel bad because I took a sick day last week.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Some random old guy in my library yesterday with a visitor badge on. I don't know him so I walk up and ask him if he needs something as he wanders around. He is a mentor for one of the students and mentors always meet at a table in the library. First thing he says to me was, "Don't have too many books for a school library do you?"

What the fuck? Fuck you old man. You don't see me walk up to you and say, "Way to fucking suck at mentoring." Also we have far more book than any of the other high schools and over quadruple the checkout rate so back the fuck off.

/rant

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just got an 8% raise.

That's a lotta money.
    Imma get handed a letter telling me to suck it in a few months, what with being out on medical leave and everything. Oh well, still got a job at least.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Janson wrote: »
    One of the perks of my job is the uninfused samples. Delicious free candies and chocolates that I can eat while on the job!

However, the brownie I just tried was not a brownie. It tasted a little like a healthy carob/date monstrosity masquerading as a brownie. Why the fuck would you not make your brownies taste good?! If it doesn’t taste nice when uninfused, I bet it tastes really nasty when infused.

is it gluten free?

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Some random old guy in my library yesterday with a visitor badge on. I don't know him so I walk up and ask him if he needs something as he wanders around. He is a mentor for one of the students and mentors always meet at a table in the library. First thing he says to me was, "Don't have too many books for a school library do you?"

What the fuck? Fuck you old man. You don't see me walk up to you and say, "Way to fucking suck at mentoring." Also we have far more book than any of the other high schools and over quadruple the checkout rate so back the fuck off.

/rant

"Don't have too many years left for being in a school building old man."

School libraries do look a bit smaller compared to public libraries. Not that I'm excusing the guys statements, but they are surprisingly small. I know this is because a public library has to accommodate the tastes of a much wider range of people on a much wider range of ages, but its still a bit weird when you go into one (for me at least).

PSN: jfrofl

You're damn right.

I told a few classes that there was a period during the Dark Ages where you could literally buy your way into heaven, and the students nearly lost their damn minds out of rage.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

/rant

"Don't have too many years left for being in a school building old man."

School libraries do look a bit smaller compared to public libraries. Not that I'm excusing the guys statements, but they are surprisingly small. I know this is because a public library has to accommodate the tastes of a much wider range of people on a much wider range of ages, but its still a bit weird when you go into one (for me at least).

Think of it this way.

A public library has a YA section. My entire library is a YA section and has way more YA books than a single branch's YA section. (usually)

Still for the first thing to come out of that dude's mouth to the person who very clearly runs the library, not cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

/rant

Just imagine how shitty this guy's life must be if that's how he feels compelled to behave.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Today, as I was signing up for different classes with my helpful HR liaison, out of nowhere, she launched into this spiel.

At first I’m a bit lost, but the spiel is sounding very complimentary. “We’ve thrown you into the deep end, and you’ve performed admirably. You’ve rolled with the punches. You’ve accepted every assignment we’ve offered you and made considerable effort to execute them well, even trying to improve what material we’ve given you. Through it all I personally have gotten the feeling that you teach from the heart.”

I kept waiting for another shoe to drop, expecting not to like it.

Nope! The other shoe was a salaried office position, adding value outside of regular teaching.

I’ve been at this job just shy of two months, and they’re offering me much more stable hours, working with the office staff regularly, developing material and programs and doing odd jobs for clients. Comes with actual paid time off and year-end bonuses.

I feel like I’m being fairly evaluated and my experience is being taken into account for the first time maybe ever in my life and it feels real good, y’all.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular

Was the meeting with the director on the books before or after your talk with the VP?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I tend to ramble.

All of these previous discussions have been with the VP. The director started this Monday and they are a layer of management between the VP and I.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Welp, my old job has about three months to find a supplier for steel or they're out of business.

I am finding it hard to have much sympathy for the bosses there, as corporate were massive Trump supporters.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

You're damn right.

I told a few classes that there was a period during the Dark Ages where you could literally buy your way into heaven, and the students nearly lost their damn minds out of rage.

Dark ages? That was true until the Reformation.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

You're damn right.

Ah, yes, Indulgences.

The business model that inspired Scientology.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

You're damn right.

Ah, yes, Indulgences.

The business model that inspired Scientology.

There are plenty of churches that operate like this today

This discussion has been closed.