As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    As long as you use acrylics it shouldn’t be that difficult to strip them. Horizon robot minis sound rad as hell though.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Aistan wrote: »
    I've backed the kickstarter for the Horizon Zero Dawn board game, so because i've got a bunch more miniatures coming in a couple of years I figure I should give this whole painting thing a shot and try on my Dark Souls board game pieces.

There's a Ben Franklin near me so I assume they'll have paints there. If not I can try the Hobbytown USA a bit further out. I'll have to look up some videos and tutorials as well. I know my first attempt will be crap so hopefully there's a type of paint that is easy to remove and try again on.

Wait, what? A HZD board game? Can I get a link?

Edit: I found it

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    I've backed the kickstarter for the Horizon Zero Dawn board game, so because i've got a bunch more miniatures coming in a couple of years I figure I should give this whole painting thing a shot and try on my Dark Souls board game pieces.

There's a Ben Franklin near me so I assume they'll have paints there. If not I can try the Hobbytown USA a bit further out. I'll have to look up some videos and tutorials as well. I know my first attempt will be crap so hopefully there's a type of paint that is easy to remove and try again on.
    I found the WarhammerTV channel on Youtube to be a solid starting point.
    there is a massive library of examples from specific techniques to full model examples, and they explain techniques nice and clearly.
    while it is obviously Warhammer focused the techniques can apply to any mini you paint.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Viking wrote: »

I found the WarhammerTV channel on Youtube to be a solid starting point.
    there is a massive library of examples from specific techniques to full model examples, and they explain techniques nice and clearly.
    while it is obviously Warhammer focused the techniques can apply to any mini you paint.

Really I second this as the robot Duncan has answered questions I had about how certain minis were painted since I was quite stumped and in the wrong direction

Brainleech on
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »
    Weathering powders are the bestest.

Which ones though as people rave about the Tamiya ones.

I use Vallejo and Secret Weapon pigments. Never used Tamiya ones.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    I’ve tried the tamiya ones that are the little squares that look like makeup, wasn’t too impressed. Vallejo pigments are great though.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Got a narrative event coming up at the end of the month, and have a few things to paint. Here's a sloppy photo of my new foot sorcerer, because I realized that jump packs are probably overkill for casting 18" support spells.
    ltj8wyelgqye.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Got a narrative event coming up at the end of the month, and have a few things to paint. Here's a sloppy photo of my new foot sorcerer, because I realized that jump packs are probably overkill for casting 18" support spells.
    ltj8wyelgqye.jpg

That's one smug skull.

-3jB3E.gif

website_header.jpg
    honovere wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »
    ltj8wyelgqye.jpg

That's one smug skull.

What is it from?

It's the helmet from the DV aspiring champion. I had it knocking around forever, but it's way too small for an actual marine. I had to build the back and neck out with greenstuff.
    Warhammer-40k-Bitz-Sturm-der-Vergeltung-Chaos-E-Draznickt-Anfuehrer-der-Auserkorenen_b2.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    An impressive bit of work! I'm guessing from the angle and detail that on the original model, it's separate from the arm/hand?

The arm and helmet are one piece. I had to trim away the hand, which lost some detail on the left cheek. Not a big deal, as I just turned it to be masked by the shoulerplate.

website_header.jpg
    Huh
    Thank you

Well this is both odd and gross as breaking out my Black Templar army some of them are nearly 20 years old but the paint on them fell off it was cheap store acrylic but I did not think it was fall off
    I have not looked at this army since 2010 so it kind of saved me the trouble of stripping them but I think I did not primer them back then either as it looks like I didn't

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    When I was pulling out my ratling snipers after years of sitting in trays, one of them had had his gun barrel bent almost 180 degrees backwards. The paint was still intact. One of the weirder moments of my gaming life.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    hib4BI8.jpg

Well Corax is a hell of a model. It might nto be the fiddliest ... but it does have what seems like an unnecessary number of pieces.

@Matrias It's finally happening!

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I just spent like, five hours painting the skin on two ogres.

It was totally worth it, been practicing my layering and blends recently and it’s a really paid off. The skin on the ogres is a great place to show it off.

Sadly I forgot to fill a gap on them so it’s super noticeable now. Luckily it won’t be visible on the mount.

Now to take a good picture, but it’s the middle of the night and with no daylight it dosn’t photograph very well.

Hopefully now to do the same across the rest of the model.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for the gamesworkshoptv suggestion. From that it seems like the biggest hurdle i'll have is finding the paints I want to use. After that it's just practice.

E: Yeah went to both Ben Franklin and Hobbytown and they both had paints and brushes but it was all individual colors so my eyes crossed and I went home. Maybe i'll just pick up a pack from Amazon or something.

E2: I got the Reaper Bones learn to paint kit thing and it'll arrive in a couple of days. Just so I can practice on stuff I don't care about all in one single kit.

Aistan on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I just spent like, five hours painting the skin on two ogres.

It was totally worth it, been practicing my layering and blends recently and it’s a really paid off. The skin on the ogres is a great place to show it off.

Sadly I forgot to fill a gap on them so it’s super noticeable now. Luckily it won’t be visible on the mount.

Now to take a good picture, but it’s the middle of the night and with no daylight it dosn’t photograph very well.

Hopefully now to do the same across the rest of the model.

Quoting myself because I now have pictures

Roubavf.jpg
    fAT0GfG.jpg
    YYGiBgl.jpg

You see painting an ogre takes many layers, like an onion.

Thanks for the gamesworkshoptv suggestion. From that it seems like the biggest hurdle i'll have is finding the paints I want to use. After that it's just practice.

E: Yeah went to both Ben Franklin and Hobbytown and they both had paints and brushes but it was all individual colors so my eyes crossed and I went home. Maybe i'll just pick up a pack from Amazon or something.

E2: I got the Reaper Bones learn to paint kit thing and it'll arrive in a couple of days. Just so I can practice on stuff I don't care about all in one single kit.

There's also the gw paint app that shows you paint combinations by model or colour.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular

There's also the gw paint app that shows you paint combinations by model or colour.

It's a great reference tool, I use it regularly. Go get it!

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I've practically finished my knight, finally, and want to take some pics. Problem is I used colour shifting paints, so to give it a proper go I'll have to make a rotating gif. I've got a turntable, but does anyone have a tutorial on how to do that?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Purple
    So I'm trying to decide on a color scheme for my Dark Eldar and my Tau. For my Dark Eldar they're going to be the Kabal of the Razored Rose, and I want some combination of red and silver, maybe some green. I have some schemes in mind, one is blood/dark red with silver highlights and black or red weapons edged in silver, or with green weapons edged in silver, I could make them all silver but edged in blood red and with red or green weapons, or I could make them green with silver helmets, edged in red with silver weapons edged in red. In all of these I have vine stencils I'll probably do in the highlight/details color. As for my Tau, I'm going to make them a dark green base with lighter green scales, but I don't know what I want to do for the second color. I could go orange or purple, maybe black or just a light green.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Chrysis wrote: »
    I've practically finished my knight, finally, and want to take some pics. Problem is I used colour shifting paints, so to give it a proper go I'll have to make a rotating gif. I've got a turntable, but does anyone have a tutorial on how to do that?

Easily. :biggrin:

I don't know how your turntable works, but when I do rotating pictures, I take a piece of paper, draw lines through it to give me 8 compass points, and then put the model on a cylinder (an empty modeling sand container usually) with four points marked on it to confirm alignment as I rotate it between shots.

With the camera firmly positioned on a tripod of course.

If your turntable doesn't let you move in increments like that, you could just take a video of it turning, and find an online converter or host it on youtube, or something.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »

Easily. :biggrin:

I don't know how your turntable works, but when I do rotating pictures, I take a piece of paper, draw lines through it to give me 8 compass points, and then put the model on a cylinder (an empty modeling sand container usually) with four points marked on it to confirm alignment as I rotate it between shots.

With the camera firmly positioned on a tripod of course.

If your turntable doesn't let you move in increments like that, you could just take a video of it turning, and find an online converter or host it on youtube, or something.

Yeah, it's a rotating turntable so it'd be fixed camera, moving model. I guess video + convertor is the easiest way.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    hib4BI8.jpg

Well Corax is a hell of a model. It might nto be the fiddliest ... but it does have what seems like an unnecessary number of pieces.

@Matrias It's finally happening!

@Asher pretty boy primarch club secret handshake!

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    finally done with my night lords tech marine

yaNXlPV.jpg?1

48RmygX.jpg?1

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    @Asher Be very thankful yours didn't have broken fleather ... blade ... things.

Because that shit does not go back together. Be very cautious when cutting off the gates.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Playing with greenstuff for the first time. Makin' some toadstools for my Oni's base. 's fun.

The missus was away for a week so I took the opportunity to paint up my D&D group's minis (in addition to the Oni). First time sexing up bases. In my ignorance I'm quite happy with 'em, but I need to get some new brushes and some brush soap and actually try and keep the points on them. My brushes are in bits.

b6vfqlcuemer.jpg
    umt2ndr0migt.jpg

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Test model I just finished for my Long Fangs!

nhu2vO0.jpg
    98x1efu.jpg
    V2WyVr2.jpg
    24Nv1gx.jpg

feeling pretty clever at turning the eye patch into a dragonball scouter.

my bits box is going dry, so I'm trying to get more out of less wolf bling. stock devastator stuff, + head + knife + fur tail + shoulder pad + gem/badge thing.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    It's been awhile, but here's some stuff I've done recently:

Lady Olynder:
    LEgh8aw.jpg
    LS0WH7j.jpg

And my Kill Team from a few weeks ago:
    iLc8zgT.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Holy shit that ghost lady. Dude.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Been working on shipping container #3 for my Kill Team board. Went fancier with this one.

2BBytar.jpg
    Wired it up and applied a wall of water effects in front of it. When it dries it’ll get inks added for a glowing slime effect.

kashBvL.jpg
    In the middle is a spooky eye. Once everything is hard enough I’ll sculpt some tentacles poking out. It’ll all get a matte varnish, and the light diffusion effect should make the whole thing a horrible glowing tentacle monster reaching out for some dudes.

IV6s9GL.jpg
    When it’s all assembled it’ll have the pull tab in the back to turn it on and off.

Painting is a lot of work! My back hurts. Maybe I should get one of them mounted magnifying lens things.

Skellington is about 3/4 done I guess. Looks kinda shit but that's to be expected. I also need to work out a more accurate way to measure out the drops of water for the washes, I don't think i'm diluting the paint enough.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Painting is a lot of work! My back hurts. Maybe I should get one of them mounted magnifying lens things.

Skellington is about 3/4 done I guess. Looks kinda shit but that's to be expected. I also need to work out a more accurate way to measure out the drops of water for the washes, I don't think i'm diluting the paint enough.

Pre-made washes are sexy magic these days. I think the watered down paint suggestion in the Reaper set is a bad one.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    @Extreaminatus
    I really like what you did with Olynder's base. That's a good effect for the undead.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Purple
    @Extreaminatus
    I really like what you did with Olynder's base. That's a good effect for the undead.

Thanks! The rest of my undead just have that dead earth crackle effect over their entire base, but I wanted to try something just a smidge different for this model.

I had hoped to get some tendrils of the dead earth effect into the grass, but I lost control of scenic cement almost instantly. I'm going to try regular Elmer's glue next time.

Extreaminatus on
    Purple
    Nips wrote: »

Thanks! She was really fun to paint. That hexwraith flame paint was goddamn fun to use

It was going pretty well then they had me try to drybrush some tiny-ass areas. Don't think I did that correctly at all, or I just misunderstood what it was they wanted of me.

Oh well. It's fine.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Thanks! She was really fun to paint. That hexwraith flame paint was goddamn fun to use

I love the "killing the grass as she moves forward" thing.

This discussion has been closed.