As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It’s 2018, take that word out of your vocabulary

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    https://imgur.com/a/MFJoF#ov899g3

The internet provideth.
    I occasionally order complex vehicle bits without instructions, but usually just googling "warhammer X KIT instructions" will get you a reddit post or something with a scan.

Thank you, this is really helpful. I also didn't realize I could put two multi meltas on the land speeders.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    did the knight player not have a smash gallant to murder mortarion with?

He did, but I got the charge off, and Morty will one shot a knight really easily if you sequence his attacks correctly.

So, you start by casting blades of putrefaction on him.

Then you make you attacks with the sweeping profile, making 18 hit rolls.

Your sixes generate additional attacks because of DTTFE. These require you use the same weapon, and because Morty has one weapon with two profiles you can make your bonus attacks with the D6 damage swing.

In addition because Morty reduces toughness and gets +1 to wound he wounds on 2’s (rerollling 1’s)even with the sweeping attack.

This works out at 17-18 5+ saves, and on average dice 3d6 damage and 3 mortal wounds. Plus his pistol, smite, and mortal wound aura on the way in.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Your sixes generate additional attacks because of DTTFE. These require you use the same weapon, and because Morty has one weapon with two profiles you can make your bonus attacks with the D6 damage swing.

I believe you but I'm 100 percent certain this would start an argument

edited September 2018

He did, but I got the charge off, and Morty will one shot a knight really easily if you sequence his attacks correctly.

I know what you mean, it isn’t immedialty intuitive, and I can have played enough people to know you’ll get a guy who will argue about it only on the most important combat.

Thankfully GW got us Death Guard players backs, from the DG codex FAQ
    Q: If Mortarion attacks an Imperium unit with Silence (using the eviscerating blow profile), and the hit roll is a 6 (allowing him to make an extra attack with Silence due to the Death to the False Emperor ability), does the extra attack have to be made using the same profile, or can it be made with the weapon’s other profile (reaping scythe) instead?
    A: The extra attack can be made using either profile.

Q: If Mortarion gets to make an extra attack with Silence due to the Death to the False Emperor ability and I choose to make it with the reaping scythe profile, do I roll 1 hit roll or 3?
    A: 3.

Edit: The second bit means that if you have Morty under pescience put his 18 swings into an imperial unit, he on average generates another 6 attacks, so 18 more swings. This is always hilarious.

Norgoth on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Did a couple of Necromunda Slaaneshi cultists
    Dm4BUnlVsAAjF54.jpg

Ambush!
    Dm5h_VVUcAErm7a.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

I know what you mean, it isn’t immedialty intuitive, and I can have played enough people to know you’ll get a guy who will argue about it only on the most important combat.

Q: If Mortarion attacks an Imperium unit with Silence (using the eviscerating blow profile), and the hit roll is a 6 (allowing him to make an extra attack with Silence due to the Death to the False Emperor ability), does the extra attack have to be made using the same profile, or can it be made with the weapon’s other profile (reaping scythe) instead?

Q: If Mortarion gets to make an extra attack with Silence due to the Death to the False Emperor ability and I choose to make it with the reaping scythe profile, do I roll 1 hit roll or 3?

Edit: The second bit means that if you have Morty under pescience put his 18 swings into an imperial unit, he on average generates another 6 attacks, so 18 more swings. This is always hilarious.

Whoof. Like, not saying you are doing anything wrong, if anything you are playing the edition right. But these kinda of rules synergies and crazy combos and stuff is why I lost interest in Warmachine and wanted to get back into 40k where I could just shoot my mans and your mans and have a good time.

I will probably diminish and fade into the West (historical games).

Inquisitor wrote: »

Whoof. Like, not saying you are doing anything wrong, if anything you are playing the edition right. But these kinda of rules synergies and crazy combos and stuff is why I lost interest in Warmachine and wanted to get back into 40k where I could just shoot my mans and your mans and have a good time.

It sounds worse than it is, it’s a fun trick, but that’s all it is. It’s on an extremely points expensive model, that is significantly more fragile than any other LOW and has almost no shooting to speak off, he’s an almost entirely Melee model.

And sadly historical aren’t immune. For instance in bolt action it’s possible to bring so many soviet infantry (about 900, typical armies are about 30 guys) that’s it’s mathematically impossible for your opponent to even kill enough to win.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

It sounds worse than it is, it’s a fun trick, but that’s all it is. It’s on an extremely points expensive model, that is significantly more fragile than any other LOW and has almost no shooting to speak off, he’s an almost entirely Melee model.

And sadly historical aren’t immune. For instance in bolt action it’s possible to bring so many soviet infantry (about 900, typical armies are about 30 guys) that’s it’s mathematically impossible for your opponent to even kill enough to win.

I’ve been looking at very streamlined systems these days like basic impetus in which all armies are composed of 12 moving pieces based on very limited historical rosters.

I have become an old, withered man.

I’ve been looking at very streamlined systems these days like basic impetus in which all armies are composed of 12 moving pieces based on very limited historical rosters.

I have become an old, withered man.

There’s a certain age for war gamers where suddenly historicals are super appealing.

Need more time in the day so I can paint my Soviet bolt action army please (thankfully I’m not running 900 dudes...).

I’ve been dabbling with a historical themed fantasy 15mm ruleset I should probably finish too. (Mainly because 15mm guys armies look incredible and are real cheap)

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So it seems BoLS is thinking the command point fix is that command points can only be used with the detachment who produced them. This seems like a lot of salt idea but is built off the new mini-dexes from Rogue Trader.

This will kill soup dead pretty hard. Not sure if it is true though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I don't see it killing soup, as it is still supremely useful to be able to use other factions to fill in the gaps of your own, but it means that taking a detachment only as a CP battery to fuel powerful stratagems that otherwise would be heavily limited by their cost would no longer work.*

*along with command points, periods are in short supply - string along as many clauses as you can!

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    That seems like even more bookkeeping. You'd have to mark which command points go with which detachment.

website_header.jpg
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I feel like this change would at most remove the Knight from the winning nova list, as I think IG superheavy tanks can fill a similar role and the BA battalion brings 5 points plus the 3 generic, 8 is plenty for a Captain or two.

edited September 2018
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I feel like this change would at most remove the Knight from the winning nova list, as I think IG superheavy tanks can fill a similar role and the BA battalion brings 5 points plus the 3 generic, 8 is plenty for a Captain or two.

Well if it is how my group read it, I am at work and BoLS is a trash website and also blocked, Smash captains in a supreme command detachment would have at most 4 cps to work with. 3 generic and 1 one from the detachment.

The Guard battalion would have 5+3 cp and regen.

Edit: Also I know it has been said here a few times but IG super heavies are much much squishier than knights. Much easier to kill just by not having a 5+ invuln and a ton of stratagems to buff them. I have played against them a lot this edition thanks to one of our regular players army fluff being a super heavy tank battalion and they aren't that bad to kill. Much easier than a knight these days.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Yes, "filling a similar role" does not mean "just as good". Scourges and Ravagers fill a similar role in Dark Eldar lists but only one of them is winding up on top tables currently.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    That seems like even more bookkeeping. You'd have to mark which command points go with which detachment.

I guess? Maybe it's just my exposure to this edition, but that seems like a fairly minimal and unobtrusive detail. My pile of red IG chits go here, my pile of blue Knight chits go there.

I guess? Maybe it's just my exposure to this edition, but that seems like a fairly minimal and unobtrusive detail. My pile of red IG chits go here, my pile of blue Knight chits go there.

This touch’s on something that really annoys me.

Stop using dice as wound markers and command points. The table is going to get knocked, you are going to lose track.

Use poker chips or cards or something. For wounds use gems or if you use dice use big heavy ones (the MTG lifecounter ones are perfect)

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Stop using dice as wound markers and command points. The table is going to get knocked, you are going to lose track.

Use poker chips or cards or something. For wounds use gems or if you use dice use big heavy ones (the MTG lifecounter ones are perfect)

I ended up getting the Eldar aspect warrior dice and this is what I ended up using it for
    But yes those Mtg wheel things for life are great

I tend to use D12s and D10s which are pretty heavy and big from my time as a D&D and L5R player. For high hp units this works best. For 2 wound units I have tokens and stuff I use.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2018
    I'm mildly bothered by people using D6s in that context, because they're so easy to pick up or get mixed in with the gaming dice. D10s and 20s are useful in that regard, and placed sensibly, shouldn't present an issue. I liked using those ubiquitous little skull tokens in the past for would markers, and laser-cut MDF makers have a plethora of options for dials and counters. I picked up a nifty little one from Adepticon that comes on a stand, has a turn tracker, command point dial, victory point dial... it's pretty cool.

One thing that mildly irritates me with using a large die as a tracker is flipping it around trying to find the right number, as things like sequential d20s are not the standard. On the other hand, getting a chance to use my fist sized one is fun, and it means I'm limiting its potential for destruction by not rolling it. :biggrin:

Otherwise, chits make for a really easy way of keeping track of something you will be adding/subtracting from over the course of the game, that should be easy to differentiate and shouldn't get mixed up with other things. As I mentioned before, if we have to keep track of what CPs go where, it's a simple and streamlined solution. 'IG battery keeps its pool big and red; Custodes pool over there, small and blue, and must spend carefully.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Well if it is how my group read it, I am at work and BoLS is a trash website and also blocked, Smash captains in a supreme command detachment would have at most 4 cps to work with. 3 generic and 1 one from the detachment.

Edit: Also I know it has been said here a few times but IG super heavies are much much squishier than knights. Much easier to kill just by not having a 5+ invuln and a ton of stratagems to buff them. I have played against them a lot this edition thanks to one of our regular players army fluff being a super heavy tank battalion and they aren't that bad to kill. Much easier than a knight these days.

The standard as I understand it has been a BA battalion, 2 captains and 3 scouts, not a supreme command.

With regards to Baneblades, we'll see, but while they lack the invuln they absolutely have a ton of strategems to buff them. If you're willing to play Tallarn then it can appear out of Reserves, in your deployment zone of course, in case your opponent gets to shoot first (but I imagine most will risk it for Vostroyan +range and +1 BS), there's the +1 save psychic power, -1 to be hit psychic power and +1 save strategem. That's a 1+ save already, against -3 to -4 AP weapons you're still getting a 4+ or 5+ save. And they're still T8 with 26 wounds.

I mean, I distinctly remember this list being strong a year ago, it's just been evolving with 8th edition by incorporating any good specialized part that was released with the later codices. If one of the component parts becomes less useful then alright, discard it.

Mazzyx wrote: »

The standard as I understand it has been a BA battalion, 2 captains and 3 scouts, not a supreme command.

With regards to Baneblades, we'll see, but while they lack the invuln they absolutely have a ton of strategems to buff them. If you're willing to play Tallarn then it can appear out of Reserves, in your deployment zone of course, in case your opponent gets to shoot first (but I imagine most will risk it for Vostroyan +range and +1 BS), there's the +1 save psychic power, -1 to be hit psychic power and +1 save strategem. That's a 1+ save already, against -3 to -4 AP weapons you're still getting a 4+ or 5+ save. And they're still T8 with 26 wounds.

I mean, I distinctly remember this list being strong a year ago, it's just been evolving with 8th edition by incorporating any good specialized part that was released with the later codices. If one of the component parts becomes less useful then alright, discard it.

It takes a lot more buffs to get it close to a knight. This is experience talking not theory crafting on my part. A single baneblade/shadowsword is pretty easy to rip apart once they are on the board. My club guy even admits that and says you need two to really have them work. They are a bit expensive too.

Also more rumors out of spikey bits so it seems the FAQ must be heading out as the leaks are coming. Again grain of salt here:

-Talos up 25 points
    -Agents of Vect becomes once per turn
    -CP farming is nerfed, see BOLS stuff above but that again is off the new mini-dexes
    -Shining Spears are getting a point increase
    -Castellan is going to be over 700 points

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Talos aren't even that big a problem in Dark Eldar lists. If they go up in points by a full third (!) I'm terrified of what's going to happen to some of the more egregious units.

I don't know as I like Wych drukkari armies with some Kabal troops but you are handcuffed into taking the haemonculi's toys if you want to have a decent chance which I just don't like

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Apparently I might have around 5k points of Space Wolves I've collected and never really played with. Is there a collected list of everything I'd need to play a game? Core rule book, codex, errata, faq, index? Also one model rolling 18-32 hits is insane. I have no idea where to go in terms of starting warhammer. (Also could use a list of fantasy/AoS needed stuff, as I have 4-5k of Undead ((before the Vampire Count and Tomb Kings split literally split my army/collection in two)).

akirasig.jpg
    Apparently I might have around 5k points of Space Wolves I've collected and never really played with. Is there a collected list of everything I'd need to play a game? Core rule book, codex, errata, faq, index? Also one model rolling 18-32 hits is insane. I have no idea where to go in terms of starting warhammer. (Also could use a list of fantasy/AoS needed stuff, as I have 4-5k of Undead ((before the Vampire Count and Tomb Kings split literally split my army/collection in two)).

So I can't help as much with the Vampires but AoS can. For 40k I would pick up your codex:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Codex-Space-Wolves-hb-2018-eng

I recommend finding a local store that sells it. They can help teach you the game.

The core rules for 40k are free and online!

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer-40k-Battle-Primer-English.pdf

This will get you started with your first games.

For FAQs GW has them all on one website.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

For Space Wolves that should set you up. Every year they release a Chapter Approved with new points, missions, and rules. Though at this point for Space Wolves as they are a new codex you should be good.

@bobAkirafett

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2018
    Magnetizing the land speeders is kind of annoying.

Edit; I saw someone magnetize the bit that the assault cannon and flame attach to but I'd need six of that one small bit and I only have 3. Not sure how I want to do this. Will I ever want to use the flame on my land speeders?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Stragint wrote: »
    Magnetizing the land speeders is kind of annoying.

Edit; I saw someone magnetize the bit that the assault cannon and flame attach to but I'd need six of that one small bit and I only have 3. Not sure how I want to do this. Will I ever want to use the flame on my land speeders?

Well try this one from back in the day
    xgzimkfvtmhw.png
    As the glue rotted out of it exposing the horror of how it was magnetized

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I've rediscovered something that annoys me about gluing miniatures: discovering after the fact that I put chest pieces in the wrong configuration to get the weapons pointing in the direction I want because the instructions are a bit vague on the angle of the arms and weapons.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I've rediscovered something that annoys me about gluing miniatures: discovering after the fact that I put chest pieces in the wrong configuration to get the weapons pointing in the direction I want because the instructions are a bit vague on the angle of the arms and weapons.

I agree as long ago I despured or parted the various kits for ease of storage
    Just backpackes don't line up right off by less than a millimeter but noticeable. the arms to get bolters held correctly there is a gap or such at the shoulder. I feel this where green stuff comes into play.

But for arms not lining up the custodes don't a gap at the wrist or somewhere else is a minor annoyance. but I think again this where the green stuff again comes into play

My LGS has two Space Marines Predator tanks and I want to grab three with this 20% off discount I have. Does the Chaos Predator and Baal Predator tank come with similar enough sprues for me to grab one of those?

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    They’re basically the same kit. The chaos one comes with a bunch of extra chains and spikes, and the Baal one comes with an Imperium sprue with extra flamethrowers.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    They’re basically the same kit. The chaos one comes with a bunch of extra chains and spikes, and the Baal one comes with an Imperium sprue with extra flamethrowers.

Tight, I'll grab one of those as well. Thank you

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Baal predator has cool looking ammo-bin or fuel tanks on the back on the turret too, to go with the assault/inferno cannons. A good kit for vehicle bitz. I think it's technically the "newest" predator kit, and IMO looks the coolest.

For CSM, you can even run it as a FW helforged infernus predator, with all the flamers (5d6 shots, woo!)

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited September 2018
    I'm starting to rethink the 3 predator tanks. I don't know when I'd ever even take them. I think my list building is too narrow and I always feel obligated to take certain units like Long Fangs or Rune Priests and such.

But I also think the predator tanks are cool. This is problematic.

Stragint on

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I look at my nearly assembled Primaris force and it’s like I’m arguing with myself. Part of me is like “having a single Repulsor and Redemptor is kind of weak as far as vehicles go, a Pred or two would help a lot.” And then then pedantic side of me is like “but they aren’t Primaris.”

I really hope Primaris gets at least another transport option soon. Maybe a big Land Speeder that can carry 5 models?

Snake Gandhi on
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Are redemptors supposed to only have primaris marines in them? I thought they just killed whoever got interred after awhile.

Which would eventually mean only primaris go in them, sure.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Are you mixing them up with Leviathans?

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Both Redemptors and Leviathans have the unfortunate side effect of burning out "pilots"