As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Trump sounds amazingy suspicious in how he talked about the alleged Russian prostitutes according to Woodward's sources.

MSNBC producer:

Couscous on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Page 69?

Nice

I don't imagine any of the stuff in these books is going to be usable in a trial, right?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Given that it's 75% self-serving bullshit from Woodward's sources who he makes look good in exchange? No.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wow, he calls women he pays for sex "girlfriends."

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Page 69?

Nice

I don't imagine any of the stuff in these books is going to be usable in a trial, right?
    In trial probably not. But remember - and even Rudy Giuliani has said this - the court of public opinion matters. And if people can be convinced that THE PEE TAPE IS REAL then 2020 will be interesting.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Henroid wrote: »

I think that covers the “all that” actually

Girlfriends probably refers to people like Stormy, who he pays afterwards to keep quiet about the sex

It’s totally different

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    That Rosenstein memo everyone knew was a pretext was a pretext according to Woodward's book.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/09/11/another-big-woodward-reveal-trumps-bottomless-bad-faith-and-nonstop-lying/
    When Trump fired Comey, the White House released a memo, by deputy attorney general Rod J. Rosenstein, that provided his supposed “reason.” Woodward recounts a scene before the firing, in which Rosenstein gave Trump the memo. It cited Comey’s mishandling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation, including his critical July 2016 presser and the release of “new” emails just before the election, and quoted multiple officials saying Comey had broken rules.

Woodward recounts that after Trump read the memo and absorbed this rationale, this happened:
    Done, said the president. He couldn’t have said it better himself. He sent a brief letter to Comey informing him that he was “terminated and removed from office, effective immediately.
    But Woodward also reports that Trump had made the decision to fire Comey well before this episode. Woodward recounts that Trump had previously told two top advisers: “Don’t try to talk me out of it, because I’ve made my decision, so don’t even try.”

So in theory, if they were able to get people to say it in court, would 3rd party testimony even be admissible?

tapes, maybe

he said, she said, absolutely not

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    “Fair and Balanced” means you need to charge as many Democrats with crimes as you do Republicans.

Fairs fair, I will happily accept the impeachment of Hillary Clinton from the shadow Presidency in exchange for Donald Trump being impeached from the real one.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Woodward's writing style throws a lot of people off. These are not eye witness accounts. He recreates events from information garnered in interviews of reasonably reliable sources but then describes them in a matter of fact method as if they were direct quotes which they rarely are. Even if the source is being 100% honest it's still their interpretation of the facts and based on their memory so the picture painted though still informative is often incomplete.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

I think that covers the “all that” actually

Girlfriends probably refers to people like Stormy, who he pays afterwards to keep quiet about the sex

It’s totally different

Hugh Hefner he ain't.

Hugh Hefner was also an abusive misogynist

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh come the fuck on people, you couldn't make it off page 1 without going off topic?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Manafort in talks with prosecutors about possible plea, according to people familiar with the discussions

Days before in-person jury ­selection is set to begin in his second trial, President Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort is in talks with the special counsel’s office about a possible plea deal, according to two people with knowledge of the discussions.

The people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to ­describe the conversations, cautioned that the negotiations may not result in a deal with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, who is prosecuting Manafort for alleged money laundering and lobbying violations.

But the discussions indicate a possible shift in strategy for Manafort, who earlier this year chose to go to trial in Virginia, only to be convicted last month in Alexandria federal court on eight counts of bank and tax fraud. He had derided his former business partner, Rick Gates, for striking a deal with prosecutors that provided him leniency in exchange for testimony against Manafort.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/manafort-in-talks-with-prosecutors-about-possible-plea-according-to-people-familiar-with-the-discussions/2018/09/11/5b98b64c-b60e-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.db35981be656

The Washington Post is a newspaper

Interesting. I think this is him signaling for a pardon.

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Manafort in talks with prosecutors about possible plea, according to people familiar with the discussions

Days before in-person jury ­selection is set to begin in his second trial, President Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort is in talks with the special counsel’s office about a possible plea deal, according to two people with knowledge of the discussions.

The people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to ­describe the conversations, cautioned that the negotiations may not result in a deal with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, who is prosecuting Manafort for alleged money laundering and lobbying violations.

But the discussions indicate a possible shift in strategy for Manafort, who earlier this year chose to go to trial in Virginia, only to be convicted last month in Alexandria federal court on eight counts of bank and tax fraud. He had derided his former business partner, Rick Gates, for striking a deal with prosecutors that provided him leniency in exchange for testimony against Manafort.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/manafort-in-talks-with-prosecutors-about-possible-plea-according-to-people-familiar-with-the-discussions/2018/09/11/5b98b64c-b60e-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.db35981be656

The Washington Post is a newspaper

Interesting. I think this is him signaling for a pardon.

Very possible.

Or he might have thought he could get away with the financial stuff and would use that for a barometer on the espionage stuff. And he got bent over the furniture on the financial stuff.

So reality might finally have hit him square in the face with the idea that the chickens are coming home to roost.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Or all of his bullshit stalling tactics has failed and he doesn't want to go into this new trial with 8 convictions on his record.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I swear we've heard from Manafort wanting to plea before and Mueller telling him to piss up a rope, I can see nothing different this time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Woodward's writing style throws a lot of people off. These are not eye witness accounts. He recreates events from information garnered in interviews of reasonably reliable sources but then describes them in a matter of fact method as if they were direct quotes which they rarely are. Even if the source is being 100% honest it's still their interpretation of the facts and based on their memory so the picture painted though still informative is often incomplete.

That's Woodward's style, limited omniscience. Everything I've heard is that people tell him everything, because he already knows it. They talk about him like he's Mueller. So yes, they want to sound good, but everyone else is talking to him as well. I'm not a great fan of his bias toward the establishment, but I don't think he makes anything up.

edited September 2018
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

That's Woodward's style, limited omniscience. Everything I've heard is that people tell him everything, because he already knows it. They talk about him like he's Mueller. So yes, they want to sound good, but everyone else is talking to him as well. I'm not a great fan of his bias toward the establishment, but I don't think he makes anything up.

I'm not saying he makes things up I'm saying the writing style masks the limitations of his methods of obtaining information. The narratives in his book are generally credible but not often directly quotable. Most people talk to him but certain people overtly concerned with how they or their colleagues are depicted talk to him more and Woodward definitely rewards that access. Case in point: Robert Porter is credited as a source for a lot of material and according to articles I've read he's depicted rather favorably through most of the book with less than a page covering domestic violence allegations and his dismissal because of them.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Following the money, the money, the money. Following the money wherever it may go.

Suspicious large money transfers from the Agalarovs. One right around the Trump Tower meeting for uh... only $20 million, the other right after Trump won the election from an account that had been dormant for over a year.
    Four federal law enforcement officials told BuzzFeed News, investigators are focused on two bursts of transactions that bank examiners deemed suspicious: one a short time after the meeting and another immediately after the November 2016 presidential election.

The first set came just 11 days after the June 9 meeting, when an offshore company controlled by Agalarov wired more than $19.5 million to his account at a bank in New York.

The second flurry began shortly after Trump was elected. The Agalarov family started sending what would amount to $1.2 million from their bank in Russia to an account in New Jersey controlled by the billionaire’s son, pop singer Emin Agalarov, and two of his friends. The account had been virtually dormant since the summer of 2015, according to records reviewed by BuzzFeed News, and bankers found it strange that activity in Emin Agalarov’s checking account surged after Trump’s victory.

After the election, that New Jersey account sent money to a company controlled by Irakly “Ike” Kaveladze, a longtime business associate of the Agalarovs and their representative at the Trump Tower meeting. Kaveladze’s company, meanwhile, had long funded a music business set up by the person who first proposed the meeting to the Trump camp, Emin Agalarov’s brash British publicist, Rob Goldstone.

Viskod on
    Wow, that seems like a big deal, but it stops just short of connecting directly to Trump

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Wow, that seems like a big deal, but it stops just short of connecting directly to Trump

It's one hell of a coincidence in timing I'll give it that; account opens around the same time trump is starting his campaign and pretty much empties out at the end of the election.

Russian oligarch transfers money to himself after Russian friendly candidate wins nomination and then election doesn't sound all that earth shattering to me.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Well Ken Starr thinks the Pres can be indicted

MSNBC producer

Just words I know but it's nice to hear someone, anyone, say it on Fox

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Ken Starr also thinks universities should cover up rapes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I forget whether that's a switch for Ken Starr or not. All these corrupt Republican "lawyers" run together.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    I forget whether that's a switch for Ken Starr or not. All these corrupt Republican "lawyers" run together.

No, he wanted to indict President Clinton too.

I mean, yes

I don't see that that makes him less of a public figure, and it's interesting to me that he actually said that instead of hedging

The importance of his opinion is that it runs counter to what Republicans and the Trump administration are trying to claim, and he's a legal hero in their eyes.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    The importance of his opinion is that it runs counter to what Republicans and the Trump administration are trying to claim, and he's a legal hero in their eyes.

I think Starr, like other supporters of dubious scruples, sees the growing crowd with their torches and pitchforks. He's making a bet on who the winning side is going to be and wants to be on record as having picked the winning side.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

Who, Ken Starr the noted Democrat and friend of the Clintons? Never heard of him.

steam_sig.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

Who, Ken Starr the noted Democrat and friend of the Clintons? Never heard of him.

Better be careful when that horn sprouts through his nose.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

MSNBC producer

Morning Joe isn't Fox, just fyi

• MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular

MSNBC producer

It is confirmed to be part of Trump's daily "executive time" though, so just as good for the purpose.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Bugger bugger bugger

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-exploded-at-john-dowd-over-mueller-deutsche-bank-2018-9
    President Donald Trump exploded at his former lawyer, John Dowd, after reading news reports that said the special counsel Robert Mueller had subpoenaed records from Deutsche Bank, journalist Bob Woodward reported in his upcoming book, "Fear: Trump in the White House," which Business Insider obtained and reviewed.

After learning of the news regarding Mueller and Deutsche Bank, a primary lender to the president, Woodward wrote that a furious Trump phoned Dowd at 7 a.m.

"I know my relationships with Deutsche Bank," Trump told Dowd, with Woodward writing that the president said the bank loved him and was always paid for its loans. "I know what I borrowed, when I borrowed, when I paid it back. I know every godd--- one."

Trump added that "this is bulls---!"

Dowd then spoke with Jim Quarles, a member of Mueller's team who was also an assistant special prosecutor on the Watergate probe. Dowd repeated Trump's assertion that "this is bulls---."

Deutshce Bank is where Justice Kennedy's kid worked and approved loans for Trump, right?
    Specifically the one big Chicago loan that Trump defaulted on, but, per Trump's initial account manager, probably just that one. He alleges that the two in 1998 (When Kennedy started) had probably been approved by his predecessor; and Trump's post-default business with DB went through another division.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/07/12/untangling-the-links-between-trump-deutsche-bank-and-justice-kennedys-son/?noredirect=on

Which isn't to say there's no room for suspicion.
    The [$640 million] Chicago deal ended up somewhat acrimoniously for Deutsche Bank and Trump. The Wall Street Journal reported that Deutsche Bank syndicated the loan, eventually reducing its exposure to less than $50 million.

In 2008, Trump failed to pay $334 million on the Chicago loan and sued Deutsche Bank, arguing that the global financial crisis was an unforeseeable event akin to a natural disaster. He also sought $3 billion, reasoning that Deutsche Bank’s practices helped trigger the financial crisis. Trump’s lawsuit alleged that Deutsche Bank compromised the Chicago loan by selling off pieces to “so many institutions, banks, junk bond firms, and virtually anybody that seemed to come along,”

This divestiture would have been Kennedy's call. This is also the loan that was coming due when Rybolovlev bought that $100 million house from Trump.
    Deutsche Bank and Trump settled out of court in 2009, and the commercial mortgage unit hasn’t done business with Trump again.

Kennedy apparently also left DB in 2009, but I'm unclear in what order these happened.

This was also smack in the middle of the period where DB was CEO'd by the current Bank of Cyprus Chairman (appointed by Wilbur Ross). So, now in Kennedy's defense, it's possible he was just witness to any fuckery surrounding this loan, if there were any.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Bugger bugger bugger

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-exploded-at-john-dowd-over-mueller-deutsche-bank-2018-9
    President Donald Trump exploded at his former lawyer, John Dowd, after reading news reports that said the special counsel Robert Mueller had subpoenaed records from Deutsche Bank, journalist Bob Woodward reported in his upcoming book, "Fear: Trump in the White House," which Business Insider obtained and reviewed.

After learning of the news regarding Mueller and Deutsche Bank, a primary lender to the president, Woodward wrote that a furious Trump phoned Dowd at 7 a.m.

"I know my relationships with Deutsche Bank," Trump told Dowd, with Woodward writing that the president said the bank loved him and was always paid for its loans. "I know what I borrowed, when I borrowed, when I paid it back. I know every godd--- one."

Dowd then spoke with Jim Quarles, a member of Mueller's team who was also an assistant special prosecutor on the Watergate probe. Dowd repeated Trump's assertion that "this is bulls---."

Deutshce Bank is where Justice Kennedy's kid worked and approved loans for Trump, right?
    Specifically the one big Chicago loan that Trump defaulted on, but, per Trump's initial account manager, probably just that one. He alleges that the two in 1998 (When Kennedy started) had probably been approved by his predecessor; and Trump's post-default business with DB went through another division.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/07/12/untangling-the-links-between-trump-deutsche-bank-and-justice-kennedys-son/?noredirect=on

The [$640 million] Chicago deal ended up somewhat acrimoniously for Deutsche Bank and Trump. The Wall Street Journal reported that Deutsche Bank syndicated the loan, eventually reducing its exposure to less than $50 million.

In 2008, Trump failed to pay $334 million on the Chicago loan and sued Deutsche Bank, arguing that the global financial crisis was an unforeseeable event akin to a natural disaster. He also sought $3 billion, reasoning that Deutsche Bank’s practices helped trigger the financial crisis. Trump’s lawsuit alleged that Deutsche Bank compromised the Chicago loan by selling off pieces to “so many institutions, banks, junk bond firms, and virtually anybody that seemed to come along,”

This divestiture would have been Kennedy's call. This is also the loan that was coming due when Rybolovlev bought that $100 million house from Trump.
    Deutsche Bank and Trump settled out of court in 2009, and the commercial mortgage unit hasn’t done business with Trump again.

Kennedy apparently also left DB in 2009, but I'm unclear in what order these happened.

This was also smack in the middle of the period where DB was CEO'd by the current Bank of Cyprus Chairman (appointed by Wilbur Ross). So, now in Kennedy's defense, it's possible he was just witness to any fuckery surrounding this loan, if there were any.

There may have been corruption, but it's just as likely it was pure coincidence. If there was even corruption, I think it's more likely that the corruption was only from Kennedy's end because Trump is a self-deluded narcissistic and he assumed that he was just that good of a negotiator and never realized that Kennedy was doing him a huge favor in approving the loan.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

More specifically, it contradicts the contortions the establishment played to fit kavenaugh's stances. Which did a backflip compared to his time under starr

steam_sig.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Bugger bugger bugger

I’m kind of dumbstruck by this

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Ken Starr? RINO

MSNBC producer

Oh lol,shows how much tv I watch

Amend that to "President's fav TV shows"

This discussion has been closed.