As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Battle for Azeroth has landed!

19596979899101»

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure portal precision and capacity is a game play mechanic and not representative of the lore in a general sense. Oculeth is certainly talking shit about the general state of portal magic.

You also have that Goblin in the Mage class hall quest chain. It's one of the very first quests you do. You recruit that Goblin who was doing street magic in Dalaran, because he's a portal master, and he was the only one with the experience and precision to open a portal into the sealed and secret lair of the Guardian.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Re: Sylvanas and Helya. She made a deal with undisclosed terms to get the lantern she tries to use the subjugate the Valkyr. What she offered Helya isn't known yet, probably some kind of service. It'll probably come up again since Helya is almost certainly coming back.

Maybe as part of the Azshara raid.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    It isn't as obvious as you make it sound. Most of the story gets lost amidst requests to collect bear asses. Nathanos needs a shitload of bear asses to support the war effort.

I mean half that shit is in game cut scenes and voice acted dialogue. You just dont like the expansion.

You're right. I don't like it. It's a terrible expansion. But I want to like it and I want to understand it, which is why I ask these questions about the point of the war.

I've watched the cutscenes. I don't skip them. I've read the quest dialog on the war effort quests for Nathanos. And you know what? It wasn't clear to me why we are doing any of this. I never once understood why I spent 20 quests trying to find the body of Marshall Valentine. That was never clear to me. And then it ended up not even mattering. We got a magic rod and all that other stuff was a giant waste of time.

And I know the war is escalating. I said as much in my post. I know why both sides are recruiting the Kul Tirans and the Zandos. I said as much. But what I don't understand is what the point behind that is. We need allies so we can fight a war. But why? Why are we even fighting. That's the point I still don't understand. We have this escalation, we have two faction leaders who are both severely butthurt over imaginary wrongs, and we have entire races of people getting escalated into conflict over unknown reasons. And that's seriously irritating.

This entire war is about nothing at all. They have not presented us with 1 good reason why the factions are fighting.

And to prove to you that yes, I have watched the cutscenes and followed the story, here's my understanding in bullet points of what has happened.

--The war starts at Broken Shore. King Varian dies, and the horde is up on a bluff and gets overrun by demons and Sylvanas sounds the retreat. Alliance doesn't see the mass of demons overrunning the Horde, so they think they are betrayed, and Genn Greymane goes berserk.
    --Sylvanas tries to harness the power of the valkyr for vague reasons having to do with power over undeath, but it isn't really made clear specifically why. Also, Sylvanas makes a trip to the underworld of Hel and tries to coerce something out of Helya, but again, we don't really know why other than vague allusions to undeath.
    --Genn does mean stuff in retaliation for the false betrayal
    --Azeroth gets stabbed in Silithus with a giant sword which causes a new magic rock that has never existed before to suddenly start to erupt from the earth, but only on a small chain of islands out in the ocean.
    --Azerite is vaguely defined as having magical properties that can be weaponized, but we don't really know what those are, and from everything that I have personally witnessed in Zandalar and Kul Tiras, Azerite is mostly just puddles of blue/yellow piss water and isn't very useful at all. But they want it. For reasons.
    --Darnassus is a major transportation hub for the Alliance for moving Azerite, which is evidenced by the 0 ships that we see carrying Azerite around. Sylvanas wants to stop their supply chain, so she attacks Darnassus. Teldrassil gets burned in the process of sacking the city.
    --The Alliance retaliates by sieging Undercity and at least this one part makes sense. They have a right to retaliate and call Sylvanas to task because what she did was an unprovoked dick move.
    --Undercity falls, Saurfang gets captured, Saurfang gets rescued and disappears from the story.
    --Horde makes friends with the Zandos and Alliance makes friends with the KT's
    --Both sides start fighting over Arathi, which is NOT a chokepoint between Undercity and Silvermoon, as you tried to say earlier. From north to south it goes Silvermoon, then Undercity, then Arathi. Arathi serves no strategic importance to the horde, and if they wanted to protect their interests in Eastern Kingdoms, some random ass piece of land is not the place to do it.

Imaginary wrongs? Sylvanas started a war of aggression by burning down Teldrassil after she slaughtered her way through Ashenvale. The misunderstanding at the broken shore is debatable on if that started the war as I believe there was a truce made up again at some point during legion.

Despite the alliance giving them multiple warnings to cut the shit and not let a garrosh happen again, Sylvanas is out there pretty much being a garrosh again. When the alliance retaliated and attacked lordaeron, the horde scorched earth it rather than let them reclaim it, which would rightfully piss a lot of the alliance off.

The azerite is not just in the new zones. That's where we're focusing but it also cropped up in silithus and ashenvale on the coast. Presumably, although they don't explicitly show it, it cracked up out of the earth in other places too. The alliance side shows that azerite is a powerful explosive that can be used to create explosives and exploding bullets and all that. There's several parts of the story where azerite's properties are discussed. Of course they're fighting over it, whoever controls the azerite is going to have the superior armaments.

As for Arathi, it's a Warfront. It's one front of the war. There are going to be several, because there are different routes into those different territories. Past arathi is that marsh and then straight into dun morogh isn't it? The alliance certainly isn't going to leave the horde a straight shot into Ironforge and the horde have never been quick to abandon Tarren Mill and that whole area.

Sounds like the horde side just sucks at explaining what's happening.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Horde's goal is pretty cohesive I thought. We want Zandalar because its a nation that rivals the Horde and Alliance but when we get there oops trolls be doing the troll thing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Actually, I'm wondering if the requirements for all the research is account bound. If you're alliance mainly, but have a horde alt within spitting distance of getting into the scenario, it might be worth doing because if that leg is account wide, you could use a horde alt to get there before anyone that purely plays alliance.

I am not able to do the island-maps-done research tier on my alt even though I've gotten that one done on my main so I don't think so

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Horde's goal is pretty cohesive I thought. We want Zandalar because its a nation that rivals the Horde and Alliance but when we get there oops trolls be doing the troll thing.

One of the most salient points Rokhan makes while in Zandalar is something along the lines of "the Zandalari may look prim and proper, but don't forget they're still Trolls."

Donnicton wrote: »

One of the most salient points Rokhan makes while in Zandalar is something along the lines of "the Zandalari may look prim and proper, but don't forget they're still Trolls."

I love how they're like "ugh, the Amani? Bunch of backwater hicks"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Donnicton wrote: »

I love how they're like "ugh, the Amani? Bunch of backwater hicks"

"savages, really. Go collect 6 of their heads and bring them back to me."

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I find it amusing that Horde and Alliance territories have basically flipped since the Second War. The Alliance was originally the northern human and Elven territories, while the Horde held the Kingdom of Azeroth and had occupied the surface of the Dwarven lands. Now, the Horde has been reduced to a few small outposts in the south, while the Alliance basically just has a few small outposts in the north.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Anyone can start the next WoW thread. They also have my permission to use my op if they like.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Ahh, see if that is all in a book that is why I am unaware of it.

My interaction with Warcraft lore is strictly in video games. Any lore that happens in books, comics, short stories, or any other medium outside of the game might as well not exist.

Blizzard fails super hardcore at telling the World of Warcraft story inside World of Warcraft.

There's a lot of character details that are in the books, but none of this stuff.

which stuff?

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Ugh, I...I like the Vulpera....

*turns in gun and badge*

• MillMill Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'll start off the new thread.

New thread here.

Mill on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    My question is, why the fuck is Stromgarde back at all? Didn't a buncha Forsaken move into Stromgarde?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    My question is, why the fuck is Stromgarde back at all? Didn't a buncha Forsaken move into Stromgarde?

typical forsaken propaganda

liEt3nH.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    --Azeroth gets stabbed in Silithus with a giant sword which causes a new magic rock that has never existed before to suddenly start to erupt from the earth, but only on a small chain of islands out in the ocean.
    --Azerite is vaguely defined as having magical properties that can be weaponized, but we don't really know what those are, and from everything that I have personally witnessed in Zandalar and Kul Tiras, Azerite is mostly just puddles of blue/yellow piss water and isn't very useful at all. But they want it. For reasons.
    --Darnassus is a major transportation hub for the Alliance for moving Azerite, which is evidenced by the 0 ships that we see carrying Azerite around. Sylvanas wants to stop their supply chain, so she attacks Darnassus. Teldrassil gets burned in the process of sacking the city.
    --Undercity falls, Saurfang gets captured, Saurfang gets rescued and disappears from the story.
    --Both sides start fighting over Arathi, which is NOT a chokepoint between Undercity and Silvermoon, as you tried to say earlier. From north to south it goes Silvermoon, then Undercity, then Arathi. Arathi serves no strategic importance to the horde, and if they wanted to protect their interests in Eastern Kingdoms, some random ass piece of land is not the place to do it.

- Azerite is all over the place. Your character is getting it from the islands, but your character is just one person. Read the mission names on the missions you send out from your boat.
    - in the pre BfA book they define Azerite. when touched by a person it's like Speed without the side effects (that we know of yet). The toucher thinks faster and better. Its a +5 to int and wis for a few minutes immediately after. Prolonged touching drains this power out. Ingestion seems to provide an even more potent burst with some body mutations too. If you dip a blade in it, the blade becomes sharper and stronger. If you grind it up and mix with gunpowder, it makes the explosion much stronger.
    - the plan was to hold Darnassus hostage but then a random Elf seargent gave Sylvanas some attitude so she burnt it instead
    - Saurfang does not get rescued. He tells the rescue party to leave him be. He is still in that jail cell in SW.
    - Arathi is the only land route into Lordearon from SW/IF. Stromgarde is the only remaining Alliance settlement (post Cataclysm) in Lordearon. The choke point is the bridge between there and the Wetlands.

steam_sig.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    A bunch of bridges that lead directly to dwarf territory that the horde does not have any significant presence in, and has never had any significant presence in, and also, there's no Azerite in dwarf territory.

I understand a war for resources. But is there any Azerite in Loch Modan, Dun Morogh, Blasted Lands, or any other zones that Arathi would be a gateway to? The answer is no. No there is not any Azerite there. And thus the Horde has no interest in those areas if this is indeed a war for resources.

They're not in Arathi to invade the lower Eastern Kingdoms, they're there to secure the Northern half which they're suffered a significant loss of power in, which I had just already explained. They don't want the Alliance increasing its grasp on Lordaeron and it makes sense to fight that battle at the bottleneck between Lordaeron and the main center of Alliance power.

Arathi has always been a hotbead for violence for the same reason as Ashenvale. Its where two super powers meet. This is just the most recent flare up of violence.

Its a war for resources, that doesn't mean every battle is fought over a specific Azerite deposit.

This is silly dude.

I would agree, except that

Horde no longer has any presence in Undercity.

Arathi made sense as a hotbed for conflict and violence when it was the middle ground between two faction capitals. But it is no longer the middle ground between two faction capitals. It is the middle ground between the dwarf kingdom and a desolate ruin that was poisoned, burned, and sieged and now nobody at all lives there.

And how many settlements do the Forsaken have in Silverpine, Gilneas, Hillsbrad, Arathi, WPL, and Western Tirisfal?

steam_sig.png
    Stromgarde was full of forsaken, ogres and trolls as of Cataclysm, and rebel forsaken as of the death knight class campaign in Legion
    now it's suddenly fully rebuilt and occupied by alive humans for some reason

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Stromgarde was full of forsaken, ogres and trolls as of Cataclysm, and rebel forsaken as of the death knight class campaign in Legion
    now it's suddenly fully rebuilt and occupied by alive humans for some reason

Gonna guess we made a pit stop on our way to Lordaeron with our big ol' siege force.

This discussion has been closed.