As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] Dungeon World - Fortress of the Ur-Mage: All is Lost (Ur-Mage Victory)

• RoshyykRoshyyk Registered User regular
    Team Ramrod | Krolax | L3 | Human Barbarian | HP 21/24 | AC 1 | XP 0 | DMG D10 | 22 Gold+Gold hand clutching blade

Krolax inhaled deeply as he approaches the cliff, ready for the worst

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The Ramrods

Krolax’s boat sailed off the edge of the falls, plunging out of sight. Lig’s vessel soon followed.

Fox stood proudly in their vessel. The souls in the river wafted up to meet him, swirling around. As the boat sailed onward, he saw terrible things, lightning striking around, monsters cavorting, and all he loved cast into blind eternity...

ALL

A GRIM PORTENT HAS COME TO PASS AND THE EYE IS OPEN.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Team Ramrod | Durgon | 18/23 HP

"Wait. Were it by boat or..." The dwarf tapped his finger on his chin and looked up to see his companions jumping into boats. "Guess we risk this together."

The dwarf entered his own boat and lay down, closing his eyes tightly, and placing the coins with his likeness on them over his eyes. "Deep breaths Durgon. You aren't actually in the water."

AustinP0027 on
  • RezariRezari Registered User regular
    The Grim Company @Nips @LaserFowl @saber_of_black @SalmonMax
    "Well that sounded ominous"

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The Jolly Rogers

Ravas furrows his brow as a sense of impending doom overcame him. He tries to shake it , as he looks to the Old Queen

"The cost you mentioned earlier. I assume the others in the room already paid it?" He looked around briefly at the statues in the room. And then move to near the basin to grab hold of the statue that Helter had knocked in earlier.

Ravas does his best to gently pull the statue out without splashing any of the liquid on himself or anything. He looks up at the other centaur statue warily and then back at the Old Queen and the rest of the group.

Egos on
  • saber_of_blacksaber_of_black Registered User regular
    The Grim Company: @Nips @LaserFowl @saber_of_black @SalmonMax

Following the scent and taste of magic, Vermilion motions the others to the northern door.

"My nimble little lark, go on now, open it." He whistles softly and points Rat to the door. Looking around nervously, he adds, "Hurry dear. Hurry."
    @Matev Did my spell free Argent our of curiosity?

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Truly Helter is The Jolly Rogers greatest challenge.

The Grim Company
    You need to choose of the side effects, but yah, it'll extricate him

The Jolly Rogers

The Old Queen chuckled.

"They were like that when I arrived actually."

Hail Hydra
    @Matev I'll go with forgetting the spell until the next preparation. Too risky with these golems about!

edited September 2018
    The Jolly Rogers

Helter lends a hand as best they’re able, ready to grab Ravas if they lean over too far.

“Sorry mate, I thought it might be alive and dangerous. As you can imagine, I’ve some trouble with that sort of thing.”

Endless_Serpents on
    The Ramrods

Durgon’s boat washed downriver, whispers filling his ears and scratching coming from outside the craft. The spirits dispersed from Fox as he tumbled over the falls into the Kingdom of Death...

The Jolly Rogers

The statue was easily moved, the basin murky but clearing as the remaining material in it dissolved. Something was still present at the bottom though...

Hail Hydra
  • zeframseezeframsee Registered User regular
    The Ramrods

Arngrim nods his head and takes the lead of his much more hardworking comrads.

Placing the coins on his eyes, he lays into the boatman’s carriage, and lets the waters of the dark ricer carry him.

The Ramrods

Arngrim's boat bobbed through the river, following after Durgon's boat. As they went over the edge, the wailing ceased and there was light beyond their eyes. If they dared to open them, they would be where they stood before entering the Ferryman's cavern, in the gallery. The others had returned as well and were making sure their surroundings were as they had been before. They were, of course.

Hail Hydra
  • LaserFowlLaserFowl Registered User regular
    Grim Company: @Nips @Rezari @saber_of_black @SalmonMax

Rat had been lost in inspecting something meaningless in the room, but when called to attention, she scurries and examines the next door. If it appears safe to her, she will open it.

Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Trap Expert with the Cautious advanced move.
    Order of my questions...depending on how well I do.
    1. Is there a trap here and if so what activates it?
    2. What does the trap do when activated?
    3. What else is hidden here?

Trap Expert with the Cautious advanced move:
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=6, 2]

The Grim Company - The Stone Grove

https://youtu.be/Di7qg5XMfU0

This room’s ceiling has wisps of cloud which float across from the west, but otherwise it appears to be a normal starry night sky. The walls of the chamber are carved to resemble the standing stones of an oracular circle. A half dozen petrified Dryads stand in lines in the center of the chamber, their gaze ever skyward. Against the North wall, a basin of silver liquid glows with it’s own luminesence and casts dancing shadows on the walls. The basin is flanked by two wooden statues of centaur archers.

kSagz4P.png

Hail Hydra
    The Jolly Rogers

Helter shoves their whole arm in the corrosive waters to pull out whatever that object is.

“I HAVE POOR IMPULSE CONTROOOLLLLLL!!”

The Jolly Rogers

Helter reaches into the basin, their bones aching as the basin hissed and bubbled. As Their fingers scraped the bottom of the basin, Helter felt 2 small objects and retrieved them. Their arm smoking as it emerged from liquid, their hand held 2 dice, carved from the bone of some other creature

sv97ammykb2x.jpeg
    Geth, roll 3d4 Acid damage ignoring armor for Helter

Helter:
    3d4 5 [3d4=2, 2, 1]

Hail Hydra
    edited September 2018
    The Jolly Rogers

14/19 HP!

Helter blows the smoke from their arm.

“Guess I gotta roll these bones!”

The skeleton throws them into their eye sockets, rolls them inside their skull and spits them out at Ravas feet.

“...In hindsight I should have checked them over... Err...”

Endless_Serpents on
    The Grim Company: @Nips @LaserFowl @Rezari @SalmonMax

Vermilion Catamount gives a deep bow to the pastoral retinue, approaching one if the petrified dryads and asking politely in an Elven tongue, "Good evening, dear lady. If I may, what are you looking at?"
    Using Charming and Open if applicable

He peers up looking for some possible constellation or shape in the clouds. Maybe a falling block trap?

Geth roll 2d6+1 for Discern Realities on the sky above.

Discern Realities:
    2d6+1 8 [2d6=4, 3]

The Grim Company

The dryad gave no response.
    Your question?

Hail Hydra
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Grim Company: @LaserFoul @Rezari @saber_of_black @SalmonMax

The Argent Specter, his movement visibly demonstrating his irritation at the fortress's puzzlements, stops short of the rows of dryads and intones a short chant.
    "Pasyr ao zmy wriuzmw ikajy, qrilz py ulwuqmz, smiz oafdlyww qrasw ul ph erywylty?"
    What here is evil?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    The Grim Company
    The Basin has a faint aura of evil, as does the constellation of the Trident in the sky

Hail Hydra
    Team Ramrod | Krolax | L3 | Human Barbarian | HP 21/24 | AC 1 | XP 0 | DMG D10 | 22 Gold+Gold hand clutching blade

Opening his eyes, as if they’d been glued shut, Krolax looks around to see his peers standing around him, eyes still shut.

“What was the point?!” He shouts in a fit of anger. He then proceeds to firmly swat everyone on the back of their necks to wake them from their trans.

edited September 2018
    @Matev I was just asking "What are you looking at?" but guessing the dryafs cannot or will not respond.

Vermilion will cast Detect Magic to locate areas of potential danger or curiosity.

Geth roll 2d6+1
    I will call unwanted attention on myself this time for the 7.

2d6+1 7 [2d6=1, 5]

saber_of_black on
    Grim Company: @LaserFoul @Nips @saber_of_black @SalmonMax
    Nimue watches as these rooms seem to have such a variety of puzzles, from chess to golems to petrified dryads. How fun! "Well if these ladies didn't just jump up to charm the lot of us, I wonder if they aren't more statues"

The armored knight points to the basin, and then the constellation of the trident in the sky.
    "There is a foulness about that receptacle, and the mark of the three-tined spear in the sky. Malign portents, my companions."
    The paladin stares intently at the sky, the grip on his sword tightening ever just so.
    I'd like the Specter to Spout Lore, trying to wrack his somewhat broken memory for why the trident might look familiar. Doable?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Team Ramrod

Lig | L3 | Human - Druid | HP 20/21 | DMG D6 | AR 2 on land

".....Yarr!!"
    Lig stops screaming as the reality of the painting's waterfall faded away.

"I've no idea the point of any of this Ur-Mage's madness. Perhaps he needs hapless fools to activate his traps, and we are playing the part.
    Let's take a break from these paintings. It's a little much.
    We do have two other doors on this side. I'd like to see where they lead."

Lig approaches the Door near the alter (on the left) and peeks through.7ap6u09xm355.png

(By the way, were any of the doors visible marked as M?)

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    The Grim Company
    The reason I asked was there was that discern realities roll, which usually has the questions attached, but that’s fine.

Specter, if you’d like to Spout Lore, go ahead.

Vermilion could tell that the basin exuded divination of some stripe, whilst the centaurs had evocations lurking in them.

One of the Dryads had a blinding amount of Divine energy. It was staring right at him.

The Ramrods
    Unless noted, all doors have an M etched into them.

Lig could see the start of a passage andheard running water. He would have to proceed to investigate further.

Hail Hydra
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Team Ramrod

Ligriv opens the door and investigates, looking around for golden eye motifs, or weird paintings.

VayBJ4e.png
    The Ramrods - Pyramid Passage

https://youtu.be/BbiqE89OLuA

As you entered into this passage, you heard a tinkling of glass near the wall. On the ground, you saw disembodied hands wrought of black crystal scuttle away from a jagged crack in the North wall. Also along the North Wall, a semicircular font in the image a blindfolded acolyte poured sweet-smelling water from tattooed eyes on their palms into a basin, something glittering at the bottom. Along the South wall, across from the font, a glass case coated in a thick dust sat upon a square dais.

hFaNvXI.png

Hail Hydra

The Argent Specter stares intently upward, seemingly caught in a thought.

Geth, roll 2d6-1 for Spout Lore

Spout Lore:
    2d6-1 6 [2d6=6, 1]

edited September 2018
    He stares, alright. Of course, with another near miss. x_x (Ooopsy on the double post, too).

Nips on
    edited September 2018
    The Grim Company

The Specter stared into the void, trying to wrack his brain for the meaning behind the Trident constellation. It was then the 3 ‘tips’ of the Trident began to slowly grow larger....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    Team Ramrod

Ligriv steps away from the hands scattering about the north wall and moves to the south wall to investigate the dusty glass case.

VayBJ4e.png
    The Ramrods

Lig cleared the dust away and saw a model of a black pyramid, topped with a statue of Death wielding a wand. There were figures of slaves and slavedrivers posed around the structure. After observing for a few seconds, the scene shudderd to life, the slaves perfecting the pyramid as the drivers whipped them on. A slave fell over, unable to work any longer. The slave was scourged repeatedly until they stop moving. A small misty substance escaped from the body and floated up until it was sucked into Death’s wand.
    Lig, the slave was someone you knew, who was it?

Hail Hydra
    edited September 2018
    Matev wrote: »
    The Ramrods
    Lig, the slave was someone you knew, who was it?

Team Ramrod

My former Druidic teacher and his senior disciples challenged the Fortress a decade ago, when it appeared outside the green mountains.
    I was selected to await their return, but found no survivors.
    I seek to return what I can of those brave souls to their home and family in the mountains.

I recognize this slave to be Marian, my teacher's brightest disciple, and the mentor who taught me the shape of the mountain goat. She was known to be prideful, stubborn, dangerous.

"Has a creepy model pyramid in this display of glass.
    I witnessed a morbid vision of an old friend within it.
    Not sure it's worth much treasure to the crew"

Lig mentions to his partymembers

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png

The Argent Specter shakes his helmeted head.
    "I...I can't remember. The Wraiths above, preserve me, for I am lost."

The armored paladin hugs his shield a little closer and his grip tightens on his sword, knowing that his grasp on this reality has slipped a bit once more.

"Master Nimue, Master Vermilion, what do you make of those signs above?"

Grim Company: @LaserFoul @Nips @saber_of_black @SalmonMax
    Nimue will take a look at these signs and constellations that seem to be plaguing their remaining paladin, perhaps to help sort them out.

Striking forward, sword resting on his shoulder, Krolax enters the new room. Seeing Lig investigating the glass case, Krolax turns his attention to the font. He takes a moment to give a thourough evaluation.
    What are the tattoos of? Besides water, is there anything else in her hands? Do I recognize the scent of the water? Can I tell what the glittering object in the water is? Let me know if I need to roll something. :D

The Grim Company

There were several constellations in the sky, which corresponding with various sights in the night sky of the Sundered World. The tips of the Trident grew larger
    Which Constellations are recognized? Feel free to shape the world

The Ramrods

The font smelled of honeysuckle and spring, there were glints of golden and silver light at the bottom of the font.
    The tattoos on the statues palms are of eyes. There isn't anything else in the hands. Further examination will require more specific actions

Hail Hydra