As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey folks I need suggestions for good camping games that can be easily picked up by non board gamers.

I have cyanide and happiness' card game and exploding kittens. What else would be fun?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "Camping" game?

Like, easy to bring camping and play without a table?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Anything is going to be more fun than those two things. Like seeing who can eat more sand.

But yes, are you after games that don't need tables or games for groups of kids, or something else?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I like the cyanide and happiness game. A better alternative to cards against humanity.

Games that can be played on a picnic table that are easy to play with large groups of people. Fun games that aren't complex. I don't want to have to teach a game for twenty minutes when the group is already a couple beers deep.

We already have lawn games covered.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    For Sale
    Ricochet Robots
    Coup
    Sushi Go
    Codenames

Resistance and Arboretum are excellent but a half step above these others, in terms of complexity

sig.gif
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    What is a "large group" to you? For Sale is a good suggestion for 6, but if "large" is a dozen people we're looking for an entirely different class of game.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Kubb!

The ultimate camping game of throw sticks to knock over sticks!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    One Night Ultimate Werewolf
    Coup
    Codenames

... are kinda my go-to decent-sized-group, maybe-not-gamers games.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I mean, realistically, something like Monikers is probably the right direction. Games that really have only the bare minimum of rules - especially if you're going to get drinks involved. Telestrations is also always a solid bet. Time's Up! is an alternative to Monikers, and Anomia also tends to be pretty accessible.
    Depending on the group you can go up from there into things like Powerpuppies has suggested. Really your judgement call there.

Kubb!

The ultimate camping game of throw sticks to knock over sticks!

I have Kubb! Its a lot of fun.

Group will be from 6-10 depending on who shows up. Code names is a great suggestion. I've been wanting an excuse to buy it for a while.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    "A better alternative to cards against humanity" is about the lowest bar a game could clear in this thread. Trying to toss the cards against humanity cards into an upturned hat is more fun than CAH.

I'll second the Sushi Go and Codenames recommendations, and add Monikers and Skull.

I feel that there is a bit of snobbery against CaH style games in this thread. My beef with it is it seems that it is a game that allows white people to be racist in an exceptable way. Not in the lets try to make funny phrases for your friends gameplay.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I feel that there is a bit of snobbery against CaH style games in this thread. My beef with it is it seems that it is a game that allows white people to be racist in an exceptable way. Not in the lets try to make funny phrases for your friends gameplay.

I think CaH gets (justified but maybe more-prominent here than other places on the Internet) hate for that, and also for the fact that there are people who will play it to exhaustion. Ultimate Werewolf and Secret Hitler, at least, share that latter issue too, and they get similar hate from time to time.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

This is true. Even when I was playing Cards, it was only 3-4 times a year. Same goes now when playing joking hazard. It doesn't outlast it's welcome.

CAH is an okay at best game that has been driven into the ground for me and probably many board gaming enthusiasts in my age group. As a young 20 something person there was some novelty to "OH MY GOD THE CARD IS ABOUT A DICK! HOW CRAZY!" but that only gets you so far. I also think there's really barely a game there since if it were used as a turing test I doubt anyone would reliably be able to figure out a human player from an AI, much less random chance. It also takes for-fucking-ever to finish the game.

So when it's brought out at every young adult party with drinking I don't want to be rude and say "yeah fuck that game let's play literally anything else, or I would be content to just play nothing and talk" or be the only one not playing the game so I get stuck in this unending nightmare of terrible worn out jokes. But that's why I hate CAH. I mean monopoly has a strategy at least!

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    As a method of generating entertainment with your funny friends, Funemployed/Snake Oil/Monikers/Codenames are all better. As something to do in the background of drinking or chatting, any of those plus Skull/Coup/One Night Werewolf are all better.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    CAH is for your not funny friends, that’s why all the funny is written down for you already. Your funny friends should be playing, like, Fiasco.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of metrics by which War, CAH, and exploding kittens are a different category of activity than anything else we discuss in this thread. It's less about them being never fun for anybody as them not meeting bare minimums for some of us hobbyists when we sit down to enjoy our hobby.

sig.gif
    (asterisk because we also discuss betrayal oh ho ho)

sig.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Mind is finally hitting US stores this week, that’s a real good one for anyone

6F32U1X.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Part of the reason we discuss Betrayal, I think, is that deep down most of us are hoping someone steals that idea and executes it better at some point.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Betrayal is in the exact same category as CAH in terms of "dread I feel when someone suggests we play it."

Seriously webguy consider snake oil and maybe buffalo as straight upgrades though

sig.gif
    Buffalo looks fun but snake oil is a game i probably wouldn't break out unless I was hanging out with a group of already established board gamers.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Hey folks I need suggestions for good camping games that can be easily picked up by non board gamers.

I have cyanide and happiness' card game and exploding kittens. What else would be fun?

The Resistance, Sushi Go Party, Time's Up (Title Recall) or Monikers, Cockroach Poker, A Question of Scruples or True Colors (if you're comfortable being uncomfortable with each other), Telestrations.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

A pack of sanitary pads with sticky wings and permanent marker. Now you can play what or who am I. Everyone thinks of something for the person next to them and write it on the sanitary pads than you adhere it to the forehead of the person next to you.
    Fun game.

steam_sig.png

A pack of sanitary pads with sticky wings and permanent marker. Now you can play what or who am I. Everyone thinks of something for the person next to them and write it on the sanitary pads than you adhere it to the forehead of the person next to you.
    Fun game.

I mean that actually does sound fun.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh shoot I am going camping in a week I should 100% get a kubb set.

edited September 2018
    Bocci is a lot of fun too if you have a relatively level area.

Also are we camping together and don't know it?

webguy20 on
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I'm watching this Giant Bomb Quick Look of Scythe Digital Edition and am literally shaking at how many terrible interface choices there are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHLhPYr1r0o

What the hell is that top info display resource/popularity/power/coins/triumph track mess?!

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    I'm watching this Giant Bomb Quick Look of Scythe Digital Edition and am literally shaking at how many terrible interface choices there are.

What the hell is that top info display resource/popularity/power/coins/triumph track mess?!

It wouldn't be a true tabletop experience without being confused at what you're looking at.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Mascarade (theoretically) plays up to thirteen but it pretty much requires a table.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Darric wrote: »

Ha ha, welcome to the depressing club!

I have no clue how anyone could have ever thought that interface and visual design was a good idea. It's so atrocious that I don't think I could have intentionally come up with a worse one. It's like, how completely terrible is your digital adaptation's layout when the physical boardgame and Tabletop Simulator version is ten times better at conveying information?

It's not just that everything is buried behind 3 unintuitive sub menus, but some information is just plain missing. Last I checked, there was no way to tell which mech upgrades your opponents had. How do you miss something that basic?

And don't get me started on all the iconography. What happened to the player mat art? Or the factory upgrade art? The only explanation I could think of was that they didn't have the rights to the art, but the art shows up in the promos and the encounter cards, so a designer made the artistic decision to remove all the art, which was a huge part of the game's appeal in the first place.

I'm convinced that an independent unpaid modder could have come up with a better adaptation by just adding scripts to the Tabletop Simulator version.

MrBody on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Hmmm...looking at screenshots apparently the factory cards have the art back on them.

Still no player mats though, and the awful "we DARE you to try and figure out what everyone else has" menu system.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Age Of Sigmar - Champions is out as a fairly generous free to play app. Noodled around with it a bit last night and it’s good fun. Some interesting stuff with rotating cards and hidden rewards.

Blind booster deck building in physical form though so hard pass on that. Roll on Keyforge.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Yeah, Warhammer Champions seems really interesting from a design perspective, but I just can't get down with booster packs, at least in a deckbuilding setting

6F32U1X.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, apparently some Keyforge organized play documents have been floating around. Linked for big. This one has a bunch of different variant ideas for events, and I'm really digging on Adaptive. Heard that as a hypothetical, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Best 2 out of 3 seems to be the norm for events, and in adaptive game 1 you play your own deck. Game 2, you play your opponent's deck, and if it goes to game 3 you bid on chains decide which deck to play.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I do like that any AOS Champions cards you get in physical you can scan and get a digital copy.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Speaking of which, apparently some Keyforge organized play documents have been floating around. Linked for big. This one has a bunch of different variant ideas for events, and I'm really digging on Adaptive. Heard that as a hypothetical, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Best 2 out of 3 seems to be the norm for events, and in adaptive game 1 you play your own deck. Game 2, you play your opponent's deck, and if it goes to game 3 you bid on chains decide which deck to play.

This is one of those "great in theory" type things, because in an ideal world, yeah, that's bitchin'. However Netrunner already taught us the risks of having players both using cards from one player's deck (agendas simply getting forgotten or swept up at game end and then both players having illegal decks in the next round), and there will absolutely be both lots of people who don't want to hand their deck over to a random person they don't know, as well as the odd asshole who may actively pull a card trying to fuck you. A format like that is asking a lot of trust and respect and diligence of all players, many of whom may not be up to delivering on it.
    Or perhaps I'm just losing faith in my fellow man the older I get. :P

This discussion has been closed.