As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reactions disabled? Reaction history missing?

H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is rightand which is an illusion.Registered User regular
Anyone else seeing this, or is my browser being weird (Chrome, on a 64-bit Windows 7 PC)? Is it a forum change, or just a temporary hosting hiccup?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
camo_sig2-400.png

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    We will be doing some database maintenance on the forums today so you may notice some slowness, temporarily missing reactions, and other weirdness.

:wink:

Xaquin on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Man, I'm so used to there being a bunch of those grey bars across the top I didn't even notice there was a new one. Thanks for pointing it out, @Xaquin

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I didn't notice it till I read your post!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I'd awesome that, but, well... you know.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Aww, "temporary". :(

For a second I thought "Oh my god, are they actually testing removing them, like they had a poll about so long ago?".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited September 2018
    Booh!

Reactions are cool.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Meh. I'm of the personal mind they contribute more harm than good. There's the building news with social media and how it's not as cracked up as it used to be. And I do think reactions play upon some of the same effects that social media does as well. One of those would be what are otherwise functionally empty posts that say nothing of value and only really exist to farm reactions. Like "Fuck Trump".

I had a middling view of them when they were introduced. And that view has only deteriorated as... well as society has deteriorated somewhat. It's not a hill I'm going to fight for or die on. But I did support that poll years back that suggested turning them off for a spell to see what happens. I don't think the apocalypse of "But how will I show support for something/threads will just balloon with empty posts showing support otherwise" will ever come to pass as people suggested would happen.

I also get the sense that some of this is somewhat of a known fact? Given the definite view that there'll never be an outright "negative" reaction because of how utterly predictable that would blow up.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    having that downside is better than 1000000 posts of people going "limed for truth" or "agreed"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited September 2018
    I can't say that I've seen much in the way of content-free reaction-farming posts. I think we all know why it's better not to have negative reactions, but I don't see any harm in "agree" and "awesome". I do think it heads off a bunch of "me too" posts.

Edit: I do occasionally see throw-away posts to the effect of "fuck Trump" or "fuck the Tories" in the political threads, but they almost always at least have a wise-crack or pithy joke in them.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    having that downside is better than 1000000 posts of people going "limed for truth" or "agreed"

Oh man, I totally forgot about "limed for truth". I'm having a rush of memorieeees~ .

sig.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Agreed.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I'm with both camps (which is getting pretty far from the intention of the thread) in that it is much easier for me to hit agree or awesome (both of which I like very much), but I am much less likely engage in the conversation to put in my own two cents when one of those cents is to say I agree.
    Did that make any sense at all?

Fuck Trump!

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Reactions are useful to me because any time I check a thread and every other post is just someone saying something to play to the crowd and it's got like thirty "agrees" underneath it I know the thread is just going to be a big circlejerk and I don't have to bother reading it.

Also, the notification is in a huge, easy to see red box when browsing on the mobile site instead of a small bar, which is nice.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm in favour of any feature that keeps you out of threads.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Hmm, bumping this thread because it seems to be happening again? And as far as I know there's no maintenance or anything going on (apologies if there is and I just didn't see it!)

Reactions were working fine earlier this morning but now have vanished. You can still see how many people hit "Agree" or "Awesome" but you can't actually see who.

Using the latest version of Chrome, if that matters at all. Already tried clearing cache/cookies as well.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    This appears to be a result of something we pushed, and its just a display issue. the reactions are fine, but the portraits are only showing up on OPs. I'll be checking in with the devs about it, not currently sure where the change will need to happen.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Aw, I kind of like how it is now. You can see a number but not exactly who clicked the buttons. It's nicer that way I think.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    It feels a lot cleaner this way.

I mean, maybe display them on mouse-over or put in a toggle switch on the profile?

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I actually look to see who has agreed with stuff

So the UI feels weird to me right now for sure

I like to be able to see if I've already clicked a reaction or not. Otherwise I have to look at the number and click to see if it goes up or down, then click again if it went down.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I like to be able to see if I've already clicked a reaction or not. Otherwise I have to look at the number and click to see if it goes up or down, then click again if it went down.

Maybe I have the memory of a housefly, but yes, this happens to me all the time, too.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I really liked the row of little avatars for the reactions. It didn’t take up a lot of space, and you could immediately see who reacted. I could also see whether I had already reacted.

And for threads like the LGBT+ thread, when someone had posted something that was like a personal victory, seeing a long row or even two rows of avatars was especially endearing and encouraging.

The numbers are just numbers, and I browse the forums on my iPad, so a mouse-over solution is a no-go for me.

An option in the profile to turn it on like it used to be would be a good solution for me.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Iruka said it's just a display issue, so I imagine it will be back to the way it was before shortly.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Perhaps the text could highlight red if you've agreed/awesomed?

Edit: Like it does when you hover over the link.

SeñorAmor on
    LD50 wrote: »
    Iruka said it's just a display issue, so I imagine it will be back to the way it was before shortly.

This is correct.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If they are looking for more data, I noticed that looking at your posts through your Profile's Agree/Awesome link will actually show the reactions properly.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    this affects me greatly. i may agree every single post ever made but how can i be sure right now? it’s all very scary

so i just want to say thank you to the brave men and women who are fighting tirelessly to find a resolution to this crisis

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    If they are looking for more data, I noticed that looking at your posts through your Profile's Agree/Awesome link will actually show the reactions properly.

Also in thread OP's, I just noticed.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So it's not just me. I thought I was going crazy when it wasn't showing who reacted to my posts.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I would kind of like the new format to be an option as it's easier on my phone when my connection is spotty

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

This is correct.

Is this a problem that needs to be corrected by the Vanilla forum people or something on the PA side?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Its not PA, no.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm of mixed opinions. I actually like that it's less obvious, at least in the desktop version, because I find myself not bandwagoning posts with lots of reactions. On the flip side, it's kind of irritating I can't see which ones I've already reacted to.

First world problems.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I think visible reaction icons provide more meaningful community interactions in their own way.

Often a simple reaction icon from a particular person can carry more weight and nuance than an actual follow up post.

Having them simply be a number feels kinda lifeless and reddity, akin more to a stale achievement than an actual conversation dynamic.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    You know what's really weird. I can see the reaction on the first post in a thread, but not the others.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I pay attention to who agrees with me and such on posts

kinda nice to know who has my back on certain topics?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Doobh wrote: »

It's not as important as the kind of thing you're referring to, but this just made me realize that the current situation could impact the phalla forum games people play.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It might be a while before they come back, but the forum community changes very slowly. I'd say we all know who would reply to what topic and what their positions would be by now, which will help stem any short-medium term complications.

I kind of like the way it is now; it's closer to how I was used to posting, but it would be unfair to deprive people of these tools if they are not used to communicating without them. I shouldn't punish others for utilizing a new method of communication just because I am uncomfortable with it for personal reasons. In the case reaction designations return, I can just ignore them like I always have, but people who actually use them can't get around not having a feature, so it isn't exactly fair.

However, I sometimes catch myself stylizing my posts to farm reactions and checking back on them to see how many I've netted, and I don't like that about myself. That's another reason I would like the option to turn off reactions just for myself, but this is tantamount to ignoring posts and is therefore understandably the lowest of priorities. Nevertheless, if Vanilla offers a profile level opt-out I would appreciate including that feature.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It is vitally important that this be fixed. The only reason I'm on this forum is to see the overlap between awesome reactions to my terrible dad jokes and agree reactions to the posts condemning them.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

It's not as important as the kind of thing you're referring to, but this just made me realize that the current situation could impact the phalla forum games people play.

-_-'
    I mean, yes, I guess this does prevent me from dying and then having to force myself not to keep reacting to the game thread, as further interaction could influence the remaining players.

This discussion has been closed.