As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vacation's over in the [Jobs] thread

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So my program is a public policy school. As a result, we have lots of policy practitioners come through

I got picked in a lottery (cause that's the only fair way to do it) to meet with a potential 2020 presidential candidate in a small group

Please pass along our warmest regards to Deez Nuts.

Tell Vermin Supreme I am a fan of his work

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I mean I told my coworker earlier today that him focusing on his conference call instead of paying attention to my antics was tantamount to abject disrespect and that we really need to settle this in the Fight Club I still haven’t successfully started at work.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I got a bribe from a software vendor in the mail today

it was just donuts and no hidden hash, though, I'm very disappointed

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Edibles don't kick in until you bitch about them not working, so enjoy!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    people came over and ate all my cheese. But left three types of bourbon. I think I won out.

Except for the bit where I have to go to work tomorrow.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    New job is scary, and hard. And interrupted tomorrow and the next day because hurricane. And no goofing off at Penny Arcade because they monitor every system you use. For totally legitimate reasons, but still, I'm gonna miss goofing off.

And the whole atmosphere is way different than it was at USARC. The Army Reserves are kinda half-ass at everything they do. Just a little sloppy, a little cut at the corners, kinda relaxed. Here at new job its very super duper serious face from the moment you walk in the door.

But hey, they had a breakfast potluck this morning that was just massive amounts of food, and everyone was extremely insistent that I take food even though I didn't bring any because I was new and didn't know about it. It was like being surrounded by grandmothers that were worried I wasn't eating enough.

Still internally screaming most of the time, but the people are very nice and in three days I made the same amount I used to make in a week.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

You got a donut in the mail?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Elaro wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    In my efforts to pump up my inevitable teaching resume I decided to get into after-school activities this year.

So that is how I am now going to help out/work with the Gaming Club at the high school every Friday after school.

... that's almost like cheating.

Pro-tip: ALWAYS CHEAT*

*Except in relationships and such.

In reality, there is no such thing as cheating. There are only unmet expectations.

Alternatively, Maxim 31: Only cheaters prosper.

And therefore Maxim 13.
    Do unto others
    [/spoilers]

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

You got a donut in the mail?

uh, no, they were hand delivered I guess

the vendor in question is on the other side of the country, so they looked up bakeries near me and found someone to deliver.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Work’s saving me boxes for when we move.

We’ll be moving into our new house with boxes with ‘Cannabis’ in large letters written all over them, haha.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    New job is scary, and hard. And interrupted tomorrow and the next day because hurricane. And no goofing off at Penny Arcade because they monitor every system you use. For totally legitimate reasons, but still, I'm gonna miss goofing off.

And the whole atmosphere is way different than it was at USARC. The Army Reserves are kinda half-ass at everything they do. Just a little sloppy, a little cut at the corners, kinda relaxed. Here at new job its very super duper serious face from the moment you walk in the door.

But hey, they had a breakfast potluck this morning that was just massive amounts of food, and everyone was extremely insistent that I take food even though I didn't bring any because I was new and didn't know about it. It was like being surrounded by grandmothers that were worried I wasn't eating enough.

Still internally screaming most of the time, but the people are very nice and in three days I made the same amount I used to make in a week.

Congratulations on the new job.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

We’ll be moving into our new house with boxes with ‘Cannabis’ in large letters written all over them, haha.
    You're gonna have a lot of people stopping by when you're getting settled in.

sig.gif
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I just learned that my coworker who watches a lot of movies and TV has never even heard of E.T.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    We are starting our schools new game club next Thursday properly.

We are teaching the kids how to roll characters.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think I have enough students interested in D&D to run the starter set with them.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I think I have enough students interested in D&D to run the starter set with them.

Oh man! I'm going to be trying to make a dice tower for @Quid when I get back. You should talk to the wood shop teacher and see if they can whip that up. Might be a good class project for a student that may be both in the club and in shop.
    I think I've asked previously you guys have a wood shop right? For a cabinet build?

PSN: jfrofl
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

This sounds like the start of a wacky sitcom episode.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have, "Active Shooter Training" at work.

Despite the name, it is not training on how to be an active shooter

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I remember in my old job working for an American multinational (in it's EMEA division, where we had training on stress management and spotting stress in colleagues.

The worst case scenario (if we did not take care and help out stressed out colleagues) was a short scene of a man wildly firing what looked like an AR-15 in the office.

We all had a good chuckle. However, older me understands that this could an actual real-life problem for Americans.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Is there a way to lock stuff on a powerpoint slide so people viewing it can't move stuff around?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Is there a way to lock stuff on a powerpoint slide so people viewing it can't move stuff around?

On mobile so I'm not positive but you should be able to save as a presentation? Then it's just the slides with non editable objects.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Sometimes I administer that training!

It's not on my calendar for today though. If your guy doesn't show up, I forgot.

Radiation wrote: »

On mobile so I'm not positive but you should be able to save as a presentation? Then it's just the slides with non editable objects.

I just tried saving it as a powerpoint show? I think that worked. Seems like it just opens it like you started a presentation. All the links still work.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I mentioned to some students that I'd be at the gaming club this Friday and that I wanted to play some kids at Smash.

And one of them immediately, in the back of the room, started laughing.

"You're going to try to beat us? Us?"

And my response was effectively the clean version of this:

xw06hSS.png

I hope those kids destroy you.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I mentioned to some students that I'd be at the gaming club this Friday and that I wanted to play some kids at Smash.

xw06hSS.png

Do them left handed first... it's the only way you can be satisfied.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

I had to do a computer based training course on this the other day.

It was a little disconcerting to read "Security personnel will not stop to help injured people or help you evacuate. Their role is to neutralize the threat."

I mean it is totally logical, I just hadn't considered it before.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    It's 9:34am, I've been at work for almost 3 and a half hours, and beginning tomorrow I have a 4 day weekend because it's my birthday on Saturday.

I am very, very checked out.

Okay the show thing didn't work but current Powerpoint just straight up has a permissions section under file where I can make it so people can't alter it.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

xw06hSS.png

Do them left handed first... it's the only way you can be satisfied.

During the summer, at the teen camp I was in charge of, we had an N64 with Smash Bros (and other titles).

I was so much better than the teenagers that they started forcing me to handicap myself in ways such as, "In this round you have one stock, can't use any items & can't use any physical moves." I still murdered them.

My true dream is that I just become the Frank to some high school student and force them to train all year for our final showdown.

GIVE ME THIS BUT WITH SMASH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpItLsTKgY

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Please don't dream about your students too much, man. That's a bad career move.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ha, we had that in my sophomore year in college with GoldenEye. I hadn't touched it in 2 years, but sat down to warm up 45 minutes before a dorm tourney with the three best players. Trounced them to the level that it was 3 on 1 and I still hit 20 before one of them broke 5 kills. They just gave me the prize and barred me from playing.
    At one point they did beat me, but it was the 2nd round of license to kill/pistols with me only using melee. It was only because they picked Temple and camped the big room...

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

The horrible end point of marijuana use, a nice family making ends meet and moving into their own place.

Reefer Madness.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

I had to do a computer based training course on this the other day.

It was a little disconcerting to read "Security personnel will not stop to help injured people or help you evacuate. Their role is to neutralize the threat."

I mean it is totally logical, I just hadn't considered it before.

Especially considering your work location.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    schuss wrote: »
    Ha, we had that in my sophomore year in college with GoldenEye. I hadn't touched it in 2 years, but sat down to warm up 45 minutes before a dorm tourney with the three best players. Trounced them to the level that it was 3 on 1 and I still hit 20 before one of them broke 5 kills. They just gave me the prize and barred me from playing.
    At one point they did beat me, but it was the 2nd round of license to kill/pistols with me only using melee. It was only because they picked Temple and camped the big room...

I destroyed people on SSB:M in high school. I stayed undefeated for the entirety of my senior year. Near the end of school the kid who brought the gamecube every day beat me with pikachu, immediately stood up, turned off the console, and said "I won and we're never playing this here again."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

I destroyed people on SSB:M in high school. I stayed undefeated for the entirety of my senior year. Near the end of school the kid who brought the gamecube every day beat me with pikachu, immediately stood up, turned off the console, and said "I won and we're never playing this here again."

We all just sound like Dexter's dad talking about snowball fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8j3YMBq-4

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

We had this on superintendent's conference day before school started. Fun time.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I think I might be changing social class. Class is a very funny thing here in the UK, and having started my new job with my coworkers (who are all amazing and lovely) I've picked up some differences between our upbringings that are quite different. And the odd thing is that, upon chatting in the pub tonight, my work mates assumed I'd grown up with the same privileges as them because I've lost a lot of my hometown accent. I don't know it feels very strange because I have definite aspirations to climb the ladder but I can't help feel odd now it's happening

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I think I might be changing social class. Class is a very funny thing here in the UK, and having started my new job with my coworkers (who are all amazing and lovely) I've picked up some differences between our upbringings that are quite different. And the odd thing is that, upon chatting in the pub tonight, my work mates assumed I'd grown up with the same privileges as them because I've lost a lot of my hometown accent. I don't know it feels very strange because I have definite aspirations to climb the ladder but I can't help feel odd now it's happening

Dive in, go stealth, then bring out the blue collar cred when you need to savage some toffs.

The interplay between class and accent in the UK is super interesting, and it used to drive people fucking nuts that they couldn't figure out where I fit. Very advantageous, I found.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Intereview went well, I feel good about it. They did mention they have a LOT of applicants for this job, so I guess I'll see what happens!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

One of the many unhelpful things I learned once in the Corps
    I know not to be there when the bullets fly as the police coming in with their pistols drawn or rifles out is now a quickly unsafe scene
    They trained us to deal with that and we are barely prepared when it happens I have far less faith in the police and trust them even less when they are sporting the same level of gear I had

This discussion has been closed.