As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited December 2018 in Games and Technology
game-logo-hearthstone.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmnpRSgqQk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-KU-_-CtJw
For best performance, the above videos must be watched at 1.5x speed.

THIS IS FOR: PC, Mac, iPad, Android and iPhone!

Add yourself to our ever growing friends list here!

Hearthstone New Player Guide:
1. Install Game
2. Play through intro stuff (Mage training)
3. Unlock every class by defeating them
4. Choose a class and level it up to 10 in any mode (You earn less XP against the AI, but will almost always win)
5. Do this with all the other classes (100 free gold!)
6. Go back and defeat all 9 Expert AI classes (100 free gold!)
7. Choose a class and level it up to 20 in any mode
8. Play an Arena run (it's free so don't worry about going 0-3)
9. Disenchant a card (typically a common 5 dust card) (95 free dust!)
10. Add some PA folks to your friends list and observe them winning a game (free pack!)
11. Find friends or relatives and play one game on an iPhone/iPad and Samsung phone/Tablet (1 free pack per system!)
12. **OPTIONAL: Spend $5 for the Welcome Pack (10 packs + 1 Legendary)
13. Complete daily quests, and win any 3 games, to earn gold (in Casual or Constructed)
14. Try and reach as high a rank as possible each season, but at least aim for ranks 20, 15, 10, or 5. (Free cards/dust - see below)
15. Enter and win one Tavern Brawl each week (Free pack, but Wed-Sun only!)
16. Either spend Gold on packs of cards (100/pack - Classic for a long time) or Arena (150/run)
17. Repeat steps 13-16

Arena can earn more cards and Gold once you get good at playing it. You always get a pack of cards in Arena regardless of your record. Rewards increase as you get more wins. Therefore, earning 50 Gold will have you break even since you get a 100 Gold pack of cards automatically. 50 Gold is about 3-4 wins depending on your rewards luck. Anything more than that is pure profit. Remember, Arena rewards the newest expansion packs.

A special word from MncDover:
Hearthstone is a fantastic and addicting game to play. The learning curve isn't overly steep, but remembering all the cards is tough to do. BE PREPARED TO LOSE A LOT AT FIRST! If you're new to the game, there are people that have been playing for over a year and have most, if not every, card in the game. It sucks getting smashed by what seems like a legion of Legendary minions, but keep going. Eventually you'll have your own Epic and Legendary cards and can hang with anyone. Besides, Legendary cards don't always mean instant wins. In many cases, you can sub out other common/basic cards in their place.

One last note, never EVER feel bad about asking for help or netdecking popular decks. Everyone does it (I know I certainly do!) and there's no shame in it. Creating decks by yourself can be fun and inventive, but there are people out there that play professionally and spend months creating optimal decks. Not only will netdecking help you create optimal decks, but you'll start to understand why certain cards are good and find interactions you may not have previously thought of. Finally, netdecking will help you know what your opponent is playing too. When everyone is netdecking, you can much more easily predict what they have have left in their deck/hand. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

So yeah, ask for help here often and netdeck popular decks. :)

Daily Quests and Gold earning:
You can earn gold by completing a daily quest or by winning 3 games against a human opponent in either Casual or Ranked modes. Ironically, Casual mode is more difficult than Ranked because you aren't as readily matched up to someone of your rank. Other notes about earning gold:

1. When you win 3 games, you earn 10 gold. You can earn up to 100 gold/day this way.
2. If you get a quest you don't like, you can "reroll" it by hitting the blue arrow button in the upper right corner of the quest.
3. You can only reroll one quest per day.
4. You can reroll a previously rerolled quest.
5. Try to not have more than 3 active quests or you'll lose out on a new daily quest.
6. The "Win 7 games in any mode" quest is worth 100 gold. In addition, wins against the AI count.
7. The "Spectate" quest allows you to earn a free pack of Classic cards just by watching another person win. FREE CARDS WOOO!
8. You can complete multiple quests at the same time (ie. Win 2 games with Paladin/Rogue and Win 2 games with Paladin/Warrior both get credit if you win with Paladin)

Card rarity, identification, and dust values:
1. Look at the center of the card for a gem.
2. If the card has no gem, it is a "soulbound" card and cannot be crafted or dusted. Basically, it's a starting card.
3. If the gem is white, the card is common. These cards can be crafted for 40 dust or dusted for 5.
4. If the gem is blue, the card is rare. These cards can be crafted for 100 dust or dusted for 20.
5. If the gem is purple, the card is epic. These cards can be crafted for 400 dust or dusted for 100.
6. If the gem is orange, the card is legendary. These cards can be crafted for 1600 dust or dusted for 400.
7. Dusting a golden version of a card earns you the creation value. Example: A golden rare dusts for 100 instead of 20.
8. It's highly recommended you dust golden cards unless you don't have two copies of it already.

Supplemental Card Creation Guide:
1. Do not dust cards until you have more than 2 copies of a card
2. Unless you're committed to a class, it's better to craft neutral minions first (Ysera, Bloodmage Thalnos, etc)
3. Dusting Gold cards earn lots more dust (unless you care about that bling look)
4. Try to only create Epic or Legendary (commons and rares will come via packs)
5. Ask us here before dusting something like a Legendary (see Legendary crafting link below)

Ranked Rewards
Each season lasts one month. At the end of the season, you'll earn a reward based on your highest rank you earned during the season. The rewards come in the form of golden cards and extra dust. For newer players, the golden cards can be dusted for a lot of dust (see dust list above) allowing you to create better cards. For pros, it's an opportunity to bling out the cards they want or stockpile dust for the next expansion. Because of this reward system, you should always try and get as high as possible each season. And don't worry about losing ranks, you still get the reward based on your best result and not your ending rank. The rewards by rank are:

Rank 20 - 1 golden common card, 5 dust
Rank 19 - 1 golden common card, 10 dust
Rank 18 - 1 golden common card, 15 dust
Rank 17 - 1 golden common card, 20 dust
Rank 16 - 1 golden common card, 25 dust
Rank 15 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 5 dust
Rank 14 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 10 dust
Rank 13 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 15 dust
Rank 12 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 20 dust
Rank 11 - 1 golden common card, 1 golden rare card, 25 dust
Rank 10 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 5 dust
Rank 9 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 10 dust
Rank 8 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 15 dust
Rank 7 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 20 dust
Rank 6 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden rare card, 25 dust
Rank 5 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 5 dust
Rank 4 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 10 dust
Rank 3 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 15 dust
Rank 2 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 20 dust
Rank 1 - 2 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card, 25 dust
Legendary - 3 golden common cards, 1 golden epic card

Useful links:
Most agreed upon order for crafting Legendary cards.

Here's a good list for everything past Old Gods:

The Lich King (M)
Leeroy Jenkins (C)
Prince Keleseth (M)
Baku the Mooneater (R)
Bloodreaver Gul'dan (M)
Genn Greymane (R)
Deathstalker Rexxar (M)
Hagatha the Witch (R)
Malfurion the Pestilent (M)
Edwin VanCleef (C)
Alexstrasza (C)
Bloodmage Thalnos (C)

Cool options to help search through your card collection.

Email stats:
You can get monthly recaps of your last ranked season directly from Blizzard. Follow these steps:

BNet Account Management... Settings > Communications Preferences > Check off News and Special Offers from Blizzard

To get something like this:

3DQyHdp.png

Adventure Modes and New Cards:
Hearthstone has been out for over a two years now and has seen a lot of new content. These come in the form of Adventure Modes (single player stuff) and Expansion packs (new cards!). All of this new content can be found below. PLEASE NOTE! There is no reason to bang your head against the wall to complete Heroic boss fights. Completing them is very hard and the only reward is a special card back. Come back to them later after getting more cards in your inventory.

Journey to Un'Goro Crater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG3nb7Oam4k

Knights of the Frozen Throne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCJq7lE3JQs

Kobolds and Catacombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrTI0GoVNsg

The Witchwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtIbKXd5fWo[/spoiler]

General Game Information:
The game has FOUR play modes:
  • Play - Build a 30-card deck and fight people in ranked or unranked matches in Standard or Wild formats.
  • Solo Adventures - Practice against the AI or enter the Single Player themed adventures like The Curse of Naxxramas and Blackrock Mountain.
  • Arena - Pay 150g, then pick a hero from a random selection of 3 heroes and draft a deck from a random pool of cards presented to you three at a time. Then battle other people who went through the same process to receive treasures!
  • Tavern Brawl - Free to enter after level 20. Rules change each week. Rewards a free Classic pack after first victory.

Grobian's list of less intuitive facts:
  • Max handsize is 10 cards. Any card over that is drawn then immediately destroyed.
  • You can't have more than 7 minions on the board.
  • If you draw from an empty deck, each "card" you draw instead damages you, beginning at 1 damage and increasing by 1 damage each draw.
  • If multiple things happen at the same time (e.g. trigger at the end of the turn) they happen in the order their respective cards have been played.
  • There are hidden quests/achievements that award gold, notably: 100g for beating all Expert AIs, 100g for playing every class to level 10 and 300g for 100 wins total.
  • The Shaman hero power always calls one of the 4 totems that isn't out yet. If you get a totem bounced to your hand, you can play a second one, though.
  • The hunter spell Animal Companion just calls a random of the 3 possible minions.
  • The Warlock spell Sense Demons gives you 1/1 imps for 1 mana if you don't have (any more) demons in your deck.
  • Stealth overrides Taunt, not the other way around.
  • Stealth is only for the enemy, you can buff your stealthed minions.
  • Priest: Shadowform refreshes your hero power, so you can use it twice in a turn.
  • Druid: Wild Growth at 10 mana crystals awards you a spell "Excess Mana" which draws a card for 0.
  • More comprehensive list of oddities here

Hearthstone strategy and resource links
Easy intro to Hearthstone in an image.
Full daily quest list here.
TeamLiquid's new Hearthstone siteLiquidHearth
TeamLiquid's Hearthstone Article Portal, a collection of all articles they've done. A good place to start.
HearthHead - Best Arena draft practice, decklists, deck builder, card db
Hearthpwn - Practice Arena drafts, decklists, deck builder, card db. Same stuff different layout.
Chrome Hearthstone Card mouseover extension - Easily find out what all those cards people are talking about do without leaving the thread!
Trump's Neutral Common guide for Arena
A basic/starter guide site for our newer players.

Links to competitive deckslists and analysis

Here's a visual deck sharing program made by our own Muffintron:
How to use:
[img]http://hsdecker.hp88.co.uk/decks/[DECKSTRING HERE].png[/img]

So for example, using this deckstring: AAECAf0ECnHAAcMB7gLmBJKsAumsAoK0AqO2Aum6Agq7ApUDqwSWBewFgbIC17YCh70CwcECmMQCAA==

Would be:
[img]http://hsdecker.hp88.co.uk/decks/AAECAf0ECnHAAcMB7gLmBJKsAumsAoK0AqO2Aum6Agq7ApUDqwSWBewFgbIC17YCh70CwcECmMQCAA==.png[/img]

Resulting in:
AAECAf0ECnHAAcMB7gLmBJKsAumsAoK0AqO2Aum6Agq7ApUDqwSWBewFgbIC17YCh70CwcECmMQCAA==.png

I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't use it outside PA Forums. My hosting can't stand up to any ridiculous amount of traffic, but it's a nice little tool just for us.

Decent streamers/youtube clips to watch, to learn!

Here's a list of PA people who don't mind if you spectate while they play.
*PM me to get added to the list*
**This is not a friends list. That is located at the top of this post!**

mnc dover/mncdover#1994
hippofant/hippofant#1651
crucialityfactor/cruciality#1743
Webber/Webber #1330
Ing/Inq#1974
MMMig/MMMig#1238
Grobian/grobian#1937
Creamstout/Pub#1592
vari/vari#1998
jurg/Jurg#1365
chaosHat/ChaosHat#1637
Eclipse/Eclipse#1200
Snowglobe/Eman#1234
ShadowofVT/Shadow#1525
Konphujun/Konphujun#1458
Lux782/CanisUrsa#1339
The Escape Goat/EscapeGoat#1913
Teriferin/Teriferin#1625
Orestus/Orestus#1202
belligerent/holyground#1665
zhen_rogue/Cygnus#1972
marty81/Dex#1696
Ketbra/Ketbra#1692
Drows/Drowsy#1698
Grunt's Ghosts/GruntsGhosts#1652
spacecaptaindickjustice/dickjustice#1928
cloudeagle/Wordherder#1808
Lehman/LehmanCM#1350
colorlessgreen/Ceegee#1473
azith28/Shodan#1202
GoodKingJayIII/Threeve#1501
Spaffy/adamjnet#2801
TheBlackWind/TheBlackWind#1335
Tynnan/Spinnaker#1133
MadPen/MadPen#1657
Yilias/Yilias #1224
KoopahTroopah/Koopah#1555
Edgler Vess/EdglerVess#1439

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ahh that new threa-

"My jaws that bite, my claws that catch!"

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ahh that new threa-

:(

Getting this thread off on the right foot, I see.

#mechayoggwhen

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Ahh that new threa-

:(

Getting this thread off on the right foot, I see.

#mechayoggwhen

I was bouncing between that and, "Hahaha, hello, hello!"

Edit: Basically the two most annoying cards right now

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    "Hahaha, hello, hello!"
    HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I hope y’all have been saying hello to all the Annoy-o-trons. It’s just the polite thing to do.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Howdy.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    "Hahaha, hello, hello!"
    HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!

hellllooooooo

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    RIP Ben Brode.

From Hearthstone. He's still alive, just... not at Blizzard.

KoopahTroopah on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    RIP Ben Brode.

Dude! I just frantically searched if he died and was happy to hear no news of it. Don't do that! >.<

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    RIP Ben Brode.

Dude! I just frantically searched if he died and was happy to hear no news of it. Don't do that! >.<

Haha, my bad. I meant from Hearthstone. RIP Ben Brode from Hearthstone.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    RIP Ben Brode.

Haha, my bad. I meant from Hearthstone. RIP Ben Brode from Hearthstone.

how to have a panic attack at 10 in the morning

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Somewhere, Ben Brode is laughing.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Drinks on the edge of freezing are amazing

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Hypothetical:

So what would happen if, prior to queuing for ladder, you could ban 5 cards? I.e., so long as you have this ban in place, you would never play against a deck with any of those five cards, and likewise you could not queue with a deck containing any of those five cards.

Could this do anything to shape the metagame? Or is it just a way to fuck up everyone’s queue times?

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/9fj8jy/vs_data_reaper_report_105/
    VS Report #105

T1 is Token Druid, Cube Hunter, Quest Rogue, Evenlock. Token Druid's rise has knocked Odd Warrior down a bit for now and brought out the Defiles.

Also apparently Thijs got high legend with Exodia Paladin and that's gotten a big jump in popularity.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    It would be unpredictable but everyone would try to tailor their matches by targeting deck defining legendaries most likely. Don't want to face aggro? Get rid of baku, leeroy, etc. Screw combo? Shudderwock, togwaggle, malygos all gone

Likely outcome is massively increased queue timers as people try to prune the opponent pool as much as possible

edited September 2018
    it would, because you could ruin basically every meta deck in 5 cards

1. the caverns below
    2. baku
    3. genn
    4. spreading plague
    5. carnivorous cube

genn might actually not be worth banning, but if you leave it chances are your meta is dominated by even shaman as the last viable aggro deck

alternatively you could just pick a deck with very specific hard counters and just ban the core cards of those counter decks

it would probably wreck queues

Dehumanized on
    That was my thought as well but a streamer I watch casually mentioned it so I was curious. It seemed pretty off the cuff though, didn’t appear he thought about it very much.

Just looking at that vs report, token druid does bad against: taunt druids and all warlocks. So you just ban 2-3 warlock cards to hit every warlock and one taunt druid card and suddenly you have 100% good matchups

It would probably be better if they allowed you to ban a class instead. Make it a soft ban, where you could still encounter them, but just not as often. Maybe include a reward system where you earn an extra star by defeating a banned class or something.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Just looking at that vs report, token druid does bad against: taunt druids and all warlocks. So you just ban 2-3 warlock cards to hit every warlock and one taunt druid card and suddenly you have 100% good matchups

Until you realize that everyone banned Spreading and/or Giggling and you sit in queue for 8 hours.

Yilias wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »

Until you realize that everyone banned Spreading and/or Giggling and you sit in queue for 8 hours.

Well yeah, but that's what everyone will attempt to do and nobody will ever play hearthstone again, hooray!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hypothetical:

So what would happen if, prior to queuing for ladder, you could ban 5 cards? I.e., so long as you have this ban in place, you would never play against a deck with any of those five cards, and likewise you could not queue with a deck containing any of those five cards.

Could this do anything to shape the metagame? Or is it just a way to fuck up everyone’s queue times?

Fuck up everyone's queue times.

Though, a mode where you could play a mini-series of a few games with deck bans, etc against a single opponent on ladder might be interesting

yeah a best of 3 ladder would be interesting but obviously impractical

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    You were too fast this time Dover. I had a post ready to enshrine Alan as one of the greatest of all time

Bo3 with sideboard gambling triple stars/mmr yes please.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/9fj8jy/vs_data_reaper_report_105/
    VS Report #105

T1 is Token Druid, Cube Hunter, Quest Rogue, Evenlock. Token Druid's rise has knocked Odd Warrior down a bit for now and brought out the Defiles.

Also apparently Thijs got high legend with Exodia Paladin and that's gotten a big jump in popularity.

I've been playing Exodia Paladin for the past couple weeks, as well as dusting off Exodia Mage with Research Portals and Luna as new card draw options. Both have respectable win rates about 50% but I still get trashed in straight aggro. I'm very happy that Druid is knocking down Odd Rogue a few pegs and bringing out the slower game.

I also have been experimenting with Savjz Rez Priest deck. It's fun, but again suffers from hard aggro. It also doesn't run Obsidian Statue, which I think is a mistake. That could just be me being bad though, as usual.

Roz wrote: »
    You were too fast this time Dover. I had a post ready to enshrine Alan as one of the greatest of all time

Say what now? Who’s Alan?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    He's talking about the OP.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm alan

liEt3nH.png
    No, I'm Spartacus!

He's talking about the OP.

Ok? I don’t see how but it’s probably right over my head regardless.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I think it's time to finally cave (hehhhhh) and craft the caverns below

Cube hunter, scavenger token druid, evenlock and quest rogue are currently the decks to play

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The fact that Quest Rogue is a meta deck after being nerfed twice is a really good indicator that the quests initial release state was STUUUUUUUUUUUUPID.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i do have to stubbornly reiterate, because it always has to be about my opinions, that a huge portion of that is also the aggressive pushing of deck archetypes that quest rogue laughs at and devours whole

liEt3nH.png
    edited September 2018
    i do have to stubbornly reiterate, because it always has to be about my opinions, that a huge portion of that is also the aggressive pushing of deck archetypes that quest rogue laughs at and devours whole

So anything other than an aggro deck?

Phyphor on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    The fact that Quest Rogue is a meta deck after being nerfed twice is a really good indicator that the quests initial release state was STUUUUUUUUUUUUPID.

It's more that they have released so much stuff that helps the quest. Like if Sonya existed with unnerfed quest it would be completely bonkers, let alone DK, Zola, and giggling inventor, but they didn't. It's like how Living Roots would probably push Maly Druid over the edge if it was out right now, but was a fine card at the time.