As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting a lot of 504 - Gateway Timeout

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
Yeah, I'm getting a lot of this now.

504 - Gateway Timeout

nginx 0.something.something

FyreWulff on

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i haven't gotten any actual 504s, but every once in a while the forums will stop responding for a few minutes.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    i haven't gotten any actual 504s, but every once in a while the forums will stop responding for a few minutes.
    You haven't been hanging out here much, then. :P

I've been hitting 504s out the ass.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have also been encountering it a lot.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2007
    yeah, me too. I'm not sure the cause, yet. Our load average on the webservers is fine. I don't have management or observational capabilities for the database server, but I would guess that is where we are timing out. That box is shared amongst many parts of the site, and so it is possible there is something going on elsewhere (store, mainsite, adverts, etc) which is affecting us, here.

Ramius on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't hit any timeouts, but sometimes it takes 60 seconds or so to load the next page I try to go to.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah, that would be a "soft" timeout. The 504 gateway timeout is basically the reverse proxy reporting that it has given up waiting for Apache to respond. But you can have a timeout that takes several seconds before the proxy gives up, which eventually results in a successful pageload.

Ramius on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've also been getting both the "soft" and 504 timeouts a lot this last 2-3 days

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I seem to get them every time I try to post. In G&T at least, hopefully this gets through here.

edit- Ah yes, it does about half an hour later. I'm guessing you guys already know how broken the forums were for about an hour there and this would be why it's fixed.

edit- Yikes! Multipost a palooza! Seems they all eventually got through after all.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I got this when making a thread, and the thread is showing up blank. Can't see anything...I can't even report it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haven't had a problem for a while now, but just this evening I've had a couple of instances of slow loading, and a 504 Gateway Time-Out. This isn't bitching about problems or anything like that, just checking if it's an issue that's still around/coming back.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, it is still with us for a little bit, yet.

I have an archiving system on-deck, but an upcoming family vacation will probably push it back yet another couple weeks. There has also been some discussion of dedicating a slave database for searches (which is the main culprit for the timeouts), and even possibly offloading the searches to a search system instead of relying on MySQL's fulltext index. Because of the nature of these changes, I cannot just drop them into the source code and off we go. All of this work requires some reconfiguration of services on the servers and/or installation of new software. So I need to coordinate the work with the overall server maintenance and growth plans, which makes it a little more time-consuming to come to resolution. But Soon! Within the month of January, I'm quite certain, we should see major (and hopefully long-lasting) performance improvements.

Ramius on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In time for my birthday? Oh Ramius, you stud.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So it would help if we'd all use the search function a little less?

Aldo on