As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    i do have to stubbornly reiterate, because it always has to be about my opinions, that a huge portion of that is also the aggressive pushing of deck archetypes that quest rogue laughs at and devours whole

So anything other than an aggro deck?

there are control cards you could print that could address the ways quest rogue are strong

they have chosen to ignore those methods in favour of generic, classical hearthstone midrange slapfest tools

liEt3nH.png
    if you can even consider midrange to exist in hearthstone anymore

liEt3nH.png
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'd say Token Druid, Evenlock, and Cubelock are all midrange.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    The fact that Quest Rogue is a meta deck after being nerfed twice is a really good indicator that the quests initial release state was STUUUUUUUUUUUUPID.

It's more that they have released so much stuff that helps the quest. Like if Sonya existed with unnerfed quest it would be completely bonkers, let alone DK, Zola, and giggling inventor, but they didn't. It's like how Living Roots would probably push Maly Druid over the edge if it was out right now, but was a fine card at the time.

Living Roots was a staple that went super underrated. It exposed how easy it is for the class to abuse Maly. We'll never get a low mana face damaging spell until Maly rotates. Like, they could literally print a 0 mana does 0 damage spell, and I think it would push Maly druid over the edge.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Living roots was insanely good. One of my favorite cards. I really liked its design though it was probably way too strong.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Living roots was insanely good. One of my favorite cards. I really liked its design though it was probably way too strong.

Of course it was, it was a Druid card. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    i do have to stubbornly reiterate, because it always has to be about my opinions, that a huge portion of that is also the aggressive pushing of deck archetypes that quest rogue laughs at and devours whole

So anything other than an aggro deck?

there are control cards you could print that could address the ways quest rogue are strong

they have chosen to ignore those methods in favour of generic, classical hearthstone midrange slapfest tools

A mediocre post-quest turn is 2 4/4s. A good turn is 6 4/4s oe 2-4 and a board clear. Aside from loatheb-for-minions or "your opponents discard their deck amd hand" what is control going to do vs that?

Quest Rogue is a combo deck. Asking for answers intended to land after the quest is resolved are like asking for answers after Mecha'thun is played. The way to give control decks interaction with that kind of deck is to give them interaction prior to the completion of the combo. However the only card that even comes close to being able to interact with a minion-based combo deck is Demonic Project.

Blizzard cannot be surprised that minion-based combo decks continue to shit on control if control has no ability to interact with them in meaningful ways.

liEt3nH.png
    Okay, but the quest rogue uses sonya, vanish, shadowstep and brewmasters to bounce their stuff and zola/mimic pod to dupe if needed. Nothing you print can deal with all or even most of that. If you destroy sonya a quest rogue will be very sad but they still complete their quest vs control via the other routes

Slowing down a quest rogue by several turns should offer a significant amount of win percentage to control decks.

If you want to be a control deck that wins on like turn 20, well, too bad, those kind of fatigue decks just haven't existed in hearthstone for 3 years and you need to let it go.

liEt3nH.png
    Our old friend Dirty Rat was quite good against Quest Rogue. If you sniped whatever they were bouncing it would often give you 3 or 4 more turns before they could finish quest.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

You're only (sort of) joking but it's not surprising that a bunch of the "choose one" cards ended up being far better than anything else the other classes have.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    If you want to be a control deck that wins on like turn 20, well, too bad, those kind of fatigue decks just haven't existed in hearthstone for 3 years and you need to let it go.

Don't tell me remind me what is or isn't viable

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    Please let me beat this guy. Please let me beat this guy. Please let me beat this guy.

i15zoo0xyyur.png

Woooo! He lost by giving up after only 3 turns. How fitting.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Quest Rogue is a combo deck. Asking for answers intended to land after the quest is resolved are like asking for answers after Mecha'thun is played. The way to give control decks interaction with that kind of deck is to give them interaction prior to the completion of the combo. However the only card that even comes close to being able to interact with a minion-based combo deck is Demonic Project.

Blizzard cannot be surprised that minion-based combo decks continue to shit on control if control has no ability to interact with them in meaningful ways.

This is giving blizzard way too much credit.

You're only (sort of) joking but it's not surprising that a bunch of the "choose one" cards ended up being far better than anything else the other classes have.

In most card games versatility comes at the cost of power. Not so in Hearthstone! Sometimes you get versatility and power at the same time cuz :P !

Living roots is strictly better than either smite or lost in the jungle - both cards that have seen competitive play.

Not to be pedantic but Lost in the Jungle giving recruits is actually very important synergy. Even Alleycat had a tribal tag.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Remember the crying about the quest rogue nerf. Players were claiming it was never OP and they nerfed it just to appease whiny players.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I feel like blizzard has done a reasonable job since then at attacking decks that distort the meta. Machine gun priest was another recent one.

furbat on
    Yilias wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic but Lost in the Jungle giving recruits is actually very important synergy. Even Alleycat had a tribal tag.

Don't start with me on the definition of "strictly" Yilias, I swear to god!

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    furbat wrote: »
    Remember the crying about the quest rogue nerf. Players were claiming it was never OP and they nerfed it just to appease whiny players.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I feel like blizzard has done a reasonable job since then at attacking decks that distort the meta. Machine gun priest was another recent one.

Right, but it wasn't OP then, like I said they've just released more did that helps it out since the quest was nerfed. If you undid the Nerf but too away Sonya and Giggling Quest would be dead.

Neaden on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    shit i think quest rogue might not work even if just vicious scalehide didn't exist

anyways the deck's power level is both a combination of the cards it's gotten from KNC to boomsday, as well as that boomsday pushed a lot of control/combo and failed to push much in the way of aggressive strategies resulting in a quest rogue kinda meta

Dehumanized on
    Without Scalehide even decks like Big Spell Mage or Control Warlock could just stall while chipping you to death with Water Elementals or Siphon Life.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The difference between “stressed out and tilted before the game even starts” me and “having a pretty good day” me is honestly depressing in of itself. I went something like 0-12 on Monday and 2-8 on Tuesday, dropping down to rank 9. And then today I had an unbroken win streak to get back to rank six. Luck is obviously a factor, but the part that gets me is that I know I’m losing too much for it to be luck. I hate thinking that my overall ability to process data and make good decisions varies so much day over day.

And FWIW, it’s not just Hearthstone. I was dying horribly playing Spider-Man early in the week; I set it aside, and when I came back last night it was easy. Duolingo lessons went from impenetrable to straightforward.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The difference between “stressed out and tilted before the game even starts” me and “having a pretty good day” me is honestly depressing in of itself. I went something like 0-12 on Monday and 2-8 on Tuesday, dropping down to rank 9. And then today I had an unbroken win streak to get back to rank six. Luck is obviously a factor, but the part that gets me is that I know I’m losing too much for it to be luck. I hate thinking that my overall ability to process data and make good decisions varies so much day over day.

And FWIW, it’s not just Hearthstone. I was dying horribly playing Spider-Man early in the week; I set it aside, and when I came back last night it was easy. Duolingo lessons went from impenetrable to straightforward.

Do you have a sleep/energy problem? Because I tend to find that I drive myself into the ground regularly and that this is when a 7-0 arena win-rate suddenly becomes 7-3.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Do you have a sleep/energy problem? Because I tend to find that I drive myself into the ground regularly and that this is when a 7-0 arena win-rate suddenly becomes 7-3.

Not to the best of my knowledge. So far as I can tell, stress is the key indicator of reduced mental capacity for me. I do have a degree of SAD, and that’s slowly creeping back into my life as the days grow shorter. I find taking a 20 minute walk outside in the early morning help immensely, but at the start of month the reporting/meeting crunch can make that difficult to make happen.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, my Hearthstone playing has dropped off dramatically with this expansion.

First, because I hate Druidstone and Quest Rogue, but, more importantly, because their mobile offering is a fucking shitshow. I've cleaned it out and reinstalled it on my iPhone, and it just runs like total ass.

It's not even worth loading up.

And when I'm sitting at my desk, I have way better games to play.

edited September 2018
    Control paladin is pretty fun right now. I'm running Thijs' list with one modification (+1 ziliax, -1 call to arms). I don't feel like CtA is something I always want to play (much less craft another copy of) while ziliax plays well into the healing shenanigans the deck supports.

### ctrl
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Righteous Protector
    # 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
    # 1x (2) Crystalsmith Kangor
    # 2x (2) Equality
    # 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
    # 1x (2) Plated Beetle
    # 2x (2) Wild Pyromancer
    # 1x (3) Aldor Peacekeeper
    # 1x (3) Blackwald Pixie
    # 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
    # 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
    # 2x (4) Ancient Brewmaster
    # 2x (4) Consecration
    # 1x (4) Prismatic Lens
    # 2x (4) Truesilver Champion
    # 1x (5) Call to Arms
    # 2x (5) Giggling Inventor
    # 1x (5) Shrink Ray
    # 1x (5) Zilliax
    # 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
    # 1x (9) Uther of the Ebon Blade
    #
    AAECAZ8FDO0Fjwm5wQL40gKO0wLq5gLD6gLl7wL9+wKE/AL8/AKggAMJugH7AdwD9AXPBvYHm8IC48sC4vgCAA==

I'm still learning the deck but I think I win just as many games via Tarim as I do with the OTK. People just do not play around it.

Dehumanized on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    it runs fine on mobile but it absolutely kills my laptop.

can't watch streams and have hs running at the same time.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm a linux gamer so while I do play it on PC via wine, I play it mostly on my Galaxy S8, and it runs pretty well on there.

The Blizzard game manager is kinda a pain in the ass in wine, it's always bitching about something, and yet the games just run.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Blizzard's launcher is garbage, it's amazing how slow it can be if you try to switch to a different game's screen

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I'm too lazy to think about that deck. Is the otk just Zola and the brewmasters?

edited September 2018
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I'm too lazy to think about that deck. Is the otk just Zola and the brewmasters?

Yeah. You play out the horseman and return unique ones to your hand. If you get 3, you just play all 3 and hero power to win. Alternatively, you can auto-win with two horseman and the coin using the Blackwald Pixie.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    @MNC Dover 10kt89njosdu.png

Alan

Roz wrote: »

That seems....random.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BeastwizardBeastwizard Registered User regular
    This meta has been really annoying to play in, but I finally found some moderate success with SoLegit’s Malygos Rogue, which was just featured in the latest VS Report. It just bypasses all the bullshit I hate dealing with, and I just climbed to Rank 2 from 5 in one night with it. Odd Warrior or Druids gaining 75 armor in one game? It’s cool, I’ll kill you with 90 face damage. Giggling Inventors and Spreading Plagues? That’s fine too, the deck only runs four minions total. Quest Rogue? Don’t worry about it, they’ll never assemble their Quest in time. Aluneth Mage? Pfft...oh wait...this deck is awful against it.

AAECAaIHBLQDgNMC8OYC7PwCDbQBxAHNA70EmwXGBYgHhgn3wQLAzALb4wLf4wLe+gIA==.png

But all kidding aside, it’s a lot of fun to play without getting knee deep in the most annoying parts of this meta. You’ll destroy any midrange or control deck, you have a decent shot at edging out Zoo, and there’s a million ways to find lethal without the full combo, which takes less time to assemble than Malygos Druid. It’s one of the harder decks to pilot, but it’s pretty rewarding to play.

The gist is to mulligan hard for Minstrel - given that you only have the two Minstrels, the Kobold Illusionist, and Malygos in the deck, a Minstrel will give you bunch of pieces right away. Then the plan is to stall with Evasion, Vanishes, and Valeera until you can use a number of combinations of Necrium Blade, Necrium Vial, Prep, and the Kobold Illusionist to rip into their face with Petals and Sinister Strikes. For example, with two Petals in hand and two Sinister Strikes, you can play Illusionist, proc its deathrattle with Blade to pull Malygos, Prep into Vial to get two more Malygoses, Backstab the Illusionist to get one more, and then hit them in the face with 21+21+24+24=90 damage.

Most of the time you’ll only need a tiny fraction of that to kill your opponent. Getting two 1/1 Malygoses on board is pretty easy, and that’s already 22 damage with a single Razorpetal Volley. Throw in another Malygos or a Sinister Strike and you can kill pretty much any non-Warrior non-Druid opponent with ease. Also, don’t save your Eviscerates. Use them to clear minions and stay alive, because its mana cost isn’t that efficient for your closeout.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

That seems....random.

Don't talk about it.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    just beat a combo shudderwock shaman on the turn after they had a 1-mana shudderwocks turn

they managed to bring me down to 4 health, then i just 4 horseman'd em back

uther uther uther uther

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    So I started playing again for... no real reason at all? I haven't played since just after Ungoro came out. Apparently I left myself with many thousands of dust. I dusted all my wild cards and have 35k, but almost no non-classic cards, and no gold.

Also I got ~15 free packs for... whatever, reasons, and one of them gave me Velen and Onyxia, both of which I didn't have. So that was nice.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    So I started playing again for... no real reason at all? I haven't played since just after Ungoro came out. Apparently I left myself with many thousands of dust. I dusted all my wild cards and have 35k, but almost no non-classic cards, and no gold.

Also I got ~15 free packs for... whatever, reasons, and one of them gave me Velen and Onyxia, both of which I didn't have. So that was nice.

They changed it so you don't get duplicate legendaries anymore