As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    All of those sound really fun

Keyforge is probably going to fill the Netrunner hole in my life

6F32U1X.png
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Speaking of which, apparently some Keyforge organized play documents have been floating around. Linked for big. This one has a bunch of different variant ideas for events, and I'm really digging on Adaptive. Heard that as a hypothetical, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Best 2 out of 3 seems to be the norm for events, and in adaptive game 1 you play your own deck. Game 2, you play your opponent's deck, and if it goes to game 3 you bid on chains decide which deck to play.

This is one of those "great in theory" type things, because in an ideal world, yeah, that's bitchin'. However Netrunner already taught us the risks of having players both using cards from one player's deck (agendas simply getting forgotten or swept up at game end and then both players having illegal decks in the next round), and there will absolutely be both lots of people who don't want to hand their deck over to a random person they don't know, as well as the odd asshole who may actively pull a card trying to fuck you. A format like that is asking a lot of trust and respect and diligence of all players, many of whom may not be up to delivering on it.
    Or perhaps I'm just losing faith in my fellow man the older I get. :P

Actually all decks have unique backs and names so decks mixing shouldn't be a big problem.

steam_sig.png
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, apparently some Keyforge organized play documents have been floating around. Linked for big. This one has a bunch of different variant ideas for events, and I'm really digging on Adaptive. Heard that as a hypothetical, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Best 2 out of 3 seems to be the norm for events, and in adaptive game 1 you play your own deck. Game 2, you play your opponent's deck, and if it goes to game 3 you bid on chains decide which deck to play.

This is one of those "great in theory" type things, because in an ideal world, yeah, that's bitchin'. However Netrunner already taught us the risks of having players both using cards from one player's deck (agendas simply getting forgotten or swept up at game end and then both players having illegal decks in the next round), and there will absolutely be both lots of people who don't want to hand their deck over to a random person they don't know, as well as the odd asshole who may actively pull a card trying to fuck you. A format like that is asking a lot of trust and respect and diligence of all players, many of whom may not be up to delivering on it.
    Or perhaps I'm just losing faith in my fellow man the older I get. :P

I mean, in this format you wouldn't be mixing cards like in Netrunner- just handing the complete deck over. And remember this is a ten dollar prebuilt deck, frankly don't know if we'll even be sleeving.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Decks are small enough that you can just count the cards before you start if you're worried. You could run into people printing bogus cards or something but at that point there's not much you can do if someone wants to go that far.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    36 cards isn't that different from 40-45 (normal Netrunner decks); I don't see people defaulting to counting their cards after every match. A $10-buy-in makes it that much easier for jerks to pick up a game they don't have to commit to. And if you think different card backs will save you then you've never seen a silver sleeved card get missed in a deck otherwise sleeved black. :P
    It could absolutely all be fine. If I was playing it with friends I'd want to swap decks all the time too, so to me the format still sounds great. I'm just saying there are some considerations to be made.

I mean I'm not going to do organized play either way, but people being assholes doesn't seem to apply more to this game than any other game is all I'm saying

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I have indeed seen some people have violently adverse reactions to the idea of somebody else so much as touching their cards.

That’s fine, those people can just avoid said format. Though it would be nice if they recognised the problem was with them, not the format.

I really can’t see issues in a deck swap situation. Netrunner is an oddity because you give some cards to your opponent and they sit alongside theirs. This is a straight entire deck swap.

I’m sure a vast majority of the toxic Magic behaviour stories are because there’s theoretically real big cash money on the line if you do well enough. This is going to be such smaller scale.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Netrunner is a good recent example, but it's hardly exclusive. Magic is no stranger to this sort of thing with enchantments going on opposing cards. Yu-Gi-Oh too featured similar cards. I'll genuinely be shocked if Keyforge never has some sort of similar effect that winds up on your opponent's side of the board, but I acknowledge it's certainly possible, especially if they made an active effort to design around keeping sides exclusive.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Sounds fun to me and if the main argument against is that some people are assholes and some people make mistakes..well, that's kinda just a thing that exists, yeah?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    On Monday played Abyss which is a card game mostly. On your turn you can explore which lets you turn over a card in one of 5 suits numbered 1-5. Other people can buy this card from you for 1 pearl per purchased card. You can take it if no one else wants it. If you pull to the limit you have to take it but get a pearl. The unwanted cards form piles face down by suit. You may pick up one of these piles for your turn. The final thing you may do for your turn in buy a lord. A lord costs an amount of cards in 1-5 suits. You may overpay and you may use pearls to make up the difference. You must use the exact amount of suits required but are only required to use the one suit on the lord card. Lords give you Victory points at the end of the game. Some also have powers and keys. Three keys make you buy a location which are end game point multipliers but shut off the power of all the lords that are contributing keys to it. Light and fun, I'd play it again.

I also played Tikal II which is a terrible name for the game since it could not possibly be more dissimilar. The two games are in the same universe. It would be like called Rex Twilight Imperium II. Anyways Tikal II is turn based exploration. Each turn has two parts: boat phase and temple phase. Part one you row your Pirogue canoe around the outside of the map and pick a tile from one of several areas. The tiles are random but have keys treasures and hexs you can place. The temple phase sees you moving through the temple looking for victory points. Each hex requires one of five keys to move through. Point scoring is based on how many other doors of the same color you have explored through. Honestly the rules seemed over long but this was a pretty fun game as well.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    On Monday played Abyss which is a card game mostly. On your turn you can explore which lets you turn over a card in one of 5 suits numbered 1-5. Other people can buy this card from you for 1 pearl per purchased card. You can take it if no one else wants it. If you pull to the limit you have to take it but get a pearl. The unwanted cards form piles face down by suit. You may pick up one of these piles for your turn. The final thing you may do for your turn in buy a lord. A lord costs an amount of cards in 1-5 suits. You may overpay and you may use pearls to make up the difference. You must use the exact amount of suits required but are only required to use the one suit on the lord card. Lords give you Victory points at the end of the game. Some also have powers and keys. Three keys make you buy a location which are end game point multipliers but shut off the power of all the lords that are contributing keys to it. Light and fun, I'd play it again.

I've had Abyss for a while after ordering it on the strength of the weird fish-person box and game art (the Lords are all merfolk, and really nicely illustrated). It's a good one that didn't quite the amount of attention it deserved. There are one or two Lords that are head-and-shoulders above the others in terms of utility but it's a fair and solid game.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Yes, the lord that limits everyone else's hand size is insanely obnoxious, as is the one that gives you immunity to warfare lords. I like how they balance it by making those lords have lower victory points and forcing you to choose between getting a location or keeping your power.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I picked up Abyss in a trade recently and my wife and I quite enjoy it. It's wildly overproduced for what is essentially a fairly straightforward set collection card game, but I'm fine with that. We like set collection card games, and the over the top production adds some zing.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I picked up Abyss in a trade recently and my wife and I quite enjoy it. It's wildly overproduced for what is essentially a fairly straightforward set collection card game, but I'm fine with that. We like set collection card games, and the over the top production adds some zing.

I don't really mind overproduction as long as it's proportional. There are a lot of "oh my God minis! $120!" for a lightish gateway game and I'm just not spending that much for that amount of game.

Then again I did buy the ticket to ride 10th anniversary but we really like that gateway game also it's an anniversary edition not the regular game.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kind of a weird question, but anyone know what @Magic Pink is up to these days?

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Kind of a weird question, but anyone know what @Magic Pink is up to these days?

Probably in a 127 Hours situation, buried beneath a collapsed mountain of board games.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Id like to see a mutil deck format instead. Bring two decks and play a 2 out of 3 match. For the first two rounds you are playing a different matchup but if it goes to round 3 then both players use the deck they havent won with yet. I think it would be a better test of player skill to find multiple decks you were good with instead of just one. Dont like the idea of switching decks personally and while chain betting is a good attempt at balance I dont think it will feel very satisfying in practice.
    I mean, in this format you wouldn't be mixing cards like in Netrunner- just handing the complete deck over. And remember this is a ten dollar prebuilt deck, frankly don't know if we'll even be sleeving.
    Counterpoint: every deck is unique and we dont know if you will be able to replace cards should they get lost or damaged. And yeah its only ten dollars but there will be decks with sentimental value.

Man so, we won a copy of Dice Forge recently and it's pretty fun. Real light, but fun enough for free. It's basically PVP Yahtzee with asymmetrical characters. Chuck dice, upgrade your stuff, attack each other. Long story short, my 10yo nephew LOVES IT. so that's nice. Might actually end up getting the second round of characters if he maintains interest.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

That's very clever.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    Oooh, a proper A Feast for Odin expansion is coming later this year:

https://www.zmangames.com/en/news/2018/9/14/announcing-a-feast-for-odin-the-norwegians/

A game that was woefully unfinished on release will finally be a complete package.

Yeah, it's a crime how much wasted space there is in that box. Desperately in need of more bits.

Like, I'm all for supporting game developers but I don't want to crack open a game and feel like I could make all the components with a pair of scissors and a cereal box, ya know?

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man so, we won a copy of Dice Forge recently and it's pretty fun. Real light, but fun enough for free. It's basically PVP Yahtzee with asymmetrical characters. Chuck dice, upgrade your stuff, attack each other. Long story short, my 10yo nephew LOVES IT. so that's nice. Might actually end up getting the second round of characters if he maintains interest.
    That doesn't sound like Dice Forge. Dice Throne, maybe?

admanb wrote: »
    Like, I'm all for supporting game developers but I don't want to crack open a game and feel like I could make all the components with a pair of scissors and a cereal box, ya know?
    Or a trip to the dollar store? :P

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I feel that there is a bit of snobbery against CaH style games in this thread. My beef with it is it seems that it is a game that allows white people to be racist in an exceptable way. Not in the lets try to make funny phrases for your friends gameplay.

I think CaH gets (justified but maybe more-prominent here than other places on the Internet) hate for that, and also for the fact that there are people who will play it to exhaustion. Ultimate Werewolf and Secret Hitler, at least, share that latter issue too, and they get similar hate from time to time.

I hate CaH style games because:

1. Madlibs stopped being funny when I was 9
    2. It attracts amateur improv troupe types, who tend to be massively unfunny people convinced that they're funny and boy are they going to try and prove it.

"The pope just announced that" ..... "free pudding in hats is now a law!"

ah ha ha ha...see it's funny because the pope is usually seen as a serious conservative figure and not someone who would announce a silly thing like pudding hats and oh my god pass the bottle I just want to black out already.

You are absolutely right about it being a played till exhaustion issue. Every borderline gateway group I try to attend is constantly playing Werewolf, Secret Hitler, and Codenames. Codenames I wouldn't mind but it's an occasional filler game at most, not something you play 3-6 times every single week, which is how often Werewolf, Avalon, & Secret Hitler come out.

(Werewolf/Avalon/SH I will never play because they always draw the "alpha gamer" equivalent of social gatherings)

MrBody on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Man even when there is a very good reason why people do last minute cancellations it's still such a bummer.

On the bright side, five people means we get to play more games without worrying about splitting.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    What's the name of the game you can use to play "The Mind" with that's more available, like at Target?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    What's the name of the game you can use to play "The Mind" with that's more available, like at Target?

"The Game". Which is singularly difficult to actually search for.

Hedgethorn on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I feel that there is a bit of snobbery against CaH style games in this thread. My beef with it is it seems that it is a game that allows white people to be racist in an exceptable way. Not in the lets try to make funny phrases for your friends gameplay.

I think CaH gets (justified but maybe more-prominent here than other places on the Internet) hate for that, and also for the fact that there are people who will play it to exhaustion. Ultimate Werewolf and Secret Hitler, at least, share that latter issue too, and they get similar hate from time to time.

I hate CaH style games because:

1. Madlibs stopped being funny when I was 9
    2. It attracts amateur improv troupe types, who tend to be massively unfunny people convinced that they're funny and boy are they going to try and prove it.

"The pope just announced that" ..... "free pudding in hats is now a law!"

ah ha ha ha...see it's funny because the pope is usually seen as a serious conservative figure and not someone who would announce a silly thing like pudding hats and oh my god pass the bottle I just want to black out already.

You are absolutely right about it being a played till exhaustion issue. Every borderline gateway group I try to attend is constantly playing Werewolf, Secret Hitler, and Codenames. Codenames I wouldn't mind but it's an occasional filler game at most, not something you play 3-6 times every single week, which is how often Werewolf, Avalon, & Secret Hitler come out.

(Werewolf/Avalon/SH I will never play because they always draw the "alpha gamer" equivalent of social gatherings)

Man I wish I could play any of our board/card games once a week. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Well it's a once a week Meetup group, but it just gets depressing. What are we playing this week! Oh...Secret Hitler and Codenames...again. Okay, let me know when you're done! Oh...you're going to play it again? And after that?....again?

It feels like I joined a Runner group and all anyone wants to do is stretch.

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    I agree with almost all of what your saying, but I fee codenames should be a bit separate. The social aspect is much lower and it has no expectations to be funny.

For me CaH and other games that try to create a funny experience get old really fast. What your average gamer around here thinks is funny is always the same. It feels like we’re laughing at the same kinda lame jokes every time.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I just have grown to hate impress the judge games. Though the last time I played Cah I was able to metagame pretty well with my sense of each friends humor style but even that got boring

initiatefailure on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Apples to Apples should remarket itself as "CAH for non-assholes".

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Apples to Apples is so damn much better than CAH. One, no problematic bullshit for young white kids to safely laugh at without feeling bad about it. Two, it can be funny in exactly the same way, but you have to actually make a joke yourself instead of playing a card that has a joke already printed on it. That said, I'd rather not play Apples to Apples either if given a choice.

Codenames is an actual fun game that I enjoy playing, and I feel like it doesn't belong in the same conversation. I could definitely see it getting overplayed though.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I played Bruges again today. It was even more fun than the last time I played it.
    I came pretty close to victory (2 points), having all 12 the leadership points, all 12 influence points, and 20 points from completing all the canals. Had 52 total with houses and occupants. The dice and card draws meant I was hit by a negative (-3) points early on, and I messed up in managing that. I figured it wouldn't be a factor, and allowed it to happen.
    I really love that game to bits.

It can be super thematic.
    My section of Bruges was a theatre company with artists and tailors, actors and entertainers, performing along side shop stalls.

My previous game was filled with Scoundrals and thieves- Assassins and Layabouts, who were later evicted and replaced by an influx of police, after rioting and rats caused enough unrest.
    Really hope I get to play it again.

VayBJ4e.png
    Root is so fuckin' good ya'll. I'll probably make a longer post about the game I played later, but short version is we had six players -- including three that had never played before -- and still finished a game in two and a half hours.

My Riverfolk only made it to 28 points but goddamn is that a fun faction.

edited September 2018
    Man I watched the HC playthrough for Teotihuacan (sp?) just now and my cardboard lust is FULLY ENGAGED. It's a big rondel point salad that just looks all kinds of fun.

Also it's $35!!!!¡!!! for preorder, which is a bananas price for what you're getting there.

Ah_Pook on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Oh, forgot the quick post-session write up:

Instead of 13 people, there were only six of us (technically seven, but one was content to watch and eat). We did manage to play enough for the absences:

1) Bagani - a locally made game (from these guys), interesting and light, good as warm up. Gameplay rules and quick review below for the curious:
    - The game has two decks, a main deck where players draw hero cards (Five round-symboled cards and five square-symboled cards for each of the five colors, plus five wildcards), and a deck of enemies to be defeated (21 in all, including the final boss).
    - The main deck is laid out exactly like Ticket to Ride, and the draw mechanic is also the same (draw 2 from the face up cards or deck, or pick a wildcard from the face up cards).
    - There are four slots for the enemies to be laid down, at the end of each player's turn, the slot of defeated enemies are replaced. Some enemies have "come into play" abilities that can cause players to pass cards to the others.
    - Players need to form combinations of cards (usually same color + shape) to deal damage to enemies. Pairs deal 1, Trios deal 2, Four-of-a-kind deal 3, etc
    - The weakest enemies are worth 3 points, the final boss 20

Quick review points:
    - Component quality is lower than what you expect, but given that the target demographic is the casual fan of the local TV show tacked onto this game, the price point matters more, I guess; it's like $10 for 80 cards and a box slightly larger than a Tiny Epic... box.
    - Theme is pretty much tacked on. I do have to admit I wouldn't have paid attention to this game if I wasn't morbidly curious about a card game based on the show, which is... pretty eh. It's certainly interesting to see that they took the time so that each hero card had different flavor texts.
    - Gameplay is... okay - it's quick to pick up and learn, but there are lulls where everyone is busy collecting cards for big attacks later. The monsters are also a bit underwhelming - an "Army of Sarimaw" just takes 1 damage to defeat, but a "Bandit" (singular) takes 2, while a "Dragon" takes 4: the ratio of the perceived threat to its damage rating are out of whack and therefore a bit jarring.
    - Ultimately I think Splendor and Century Spice Road fans will likely just go back to those games for if they want a lightweight game.

2) 7 Wonders, with the new Anniversary Pack cards: Those cards are awesome, and make a pretty big impact on our game (especially the new Cities cards - nobody likes debt). I tried Stonehenge and came second (!).

3) Viticulture, with the new set of Rhine Valley Visitor cards. I think they achieved what they were going for with the new cards, as we felt it was more focused on the whole flow of the wine-making process within the game. A+ will play again.

4) Century Spice Road - tried the Rush tactic and won before anybody had the chance to pivot and adjust to what I was doing. One guy was a bit out of sorts and barely scored; turns out he was conserving his brain power because he wanted to play...

5) Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Card Game - Ben (guy mentioned earlier, actual name withheld) was actually thinking about our last session of this one, which was a pleasant surprise. Also, my brother-in-law and our resident eternally optimistic Knives player tried to win with her again and failed (again); she starts out really bad, and it's an uphill battle from there. I still won as Kim Pine, though. Knives analysis below:
    Of the six playable characters in the game, Knives has it the hardest. She and Scott share the playstyle of needing Drama cards (deckbuilder Trash cards), but also share Wallace Wells's weakness of her starting cards completely unaligned with her combat combos (She needs a lot of <- cards, but she has a lot of -> instead). Scott's advantage is that his combos are a lot more varied and flexible, meaning he can just punch his way to get points. Wallace's advantage over her is he has a lot of wildcards to buy his way through the early game. Given the disadvantages but none of the perks of the other two, Knives has difficulty winning early fights, while needing to throw away her -> cards (her only viable resource cards) to buy <-s in the marketplace, just to be able to fight competently. Poor Knives.

Interestingly, I feel there's enough room for an expansion for the Scott Pilgrim game - they haven't rounded up the symmetrical gamestyle between the six characters, so maybe Envy and Nega-Scott can be additional playable characters. Not to mention that with the lack of hidden information it'd be way easier to just make my own Envy deck.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Man San Antonio is nothing but Warhammer and tanks and planes and minis. Where da Eurogamers and Social Deduction at?!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.