As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animal Crossing: Have You Shaken Your Trees Lately?

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    If she steps in to the ring, I'm going to smash Isabelle.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    That was a brilliantly-executed double fake-out.

But how can anyone not just auto-concede against Isabelle in Smash?
    I refuse to hit her.

I refuse.

Now if it was Tom Nook I wouldn't hesitate for an instance.

Damn loan shark deserves everything he gets.
    Tom Nook will revamp your house literally overnight

with no money down

0% interest

and no timeline for repaying him

The only time he will actually insist on you paying him back in full is if you want to expand your house again. Happy to lead a minimalist life and don't want your home expanded? Great, you don't have to ever pay him back.

Tom Nook is a saint.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Man if I brought some random person to a house, told them it is their's now and that they owed me a ton of money for it I'd get my ass kicked.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    That was a brilliantly-executed double fake-out.

But how can anyone not just auto-concede against Isabelle in Smash?
    I refuse to hit her.

I refuse.

Now if it was Tom Nook I wouldn't hesitate for an instance.

Damn loan shark deserves everything he gets.
    Tom Nook will revamp your house literally overnight

with no money down

0% interest

and no timeline for repaying him

The only time he will actually insist on you paying him back in full is if you want to expand your house again. Happy to lead a minimalist life and don't want your home expanded? Great, you don't have to ever pay him back.

Tom Nook is a saint.

I know people ironically hate Nook. Cause of memes and stuff. But with some people I wonder. Kids have weird ideas these days.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I'm hopeful AC retains it's charm but revamps/rethinks it's structure somewhat for ppl who've been burnt out after New Leaf.

I've found myself still playing Pocket Camp pretty regularly despite being absolutely certain that I would put it down after a week. I think the reasons are twofold:
    1) It rewards logging in rather than punishing you when you don't. In Pocket Camp, if you don't log in, you will miss out on some daily rewards, and that's... more or less it? In New Leaf, if you didn't log in for a day, weeds would spread, bamboo (if you have any planted) would spread, after a while you'd get roaches, and - the single most crucial thing - you might miss an opportunity to prevent a favorite villager from leaving. Basically, if you don't log into Pocket Camp for a day, you don't get some new stuff; if you don't log into New Leaf, you might lose some stuff you already have.
    2) In Pocket Camp, my villagers will not leave of their own accord. This is a subset of Point #1, I suppose, but it was such a huge deal to me that I think it deserves its own bulletpoint. All the daily chores in an Animal Crossing eventually start to feel like a second job, which is the point where I start to check out. That means that eventually I stopped logging into New Leaf every day, and that means that I missed the window during which I could convince Rod - a literal gym rat, and the first friend I made in New Leaf - to stay in my town. He was already packed up and there was nothing I could do to stop him. When that happened, it basically shattered my emotional connection to the game. I felt really bad about losing him, and I had no interest in feeling this bad because of this game again, so I stopped investing into it emotionally. From there, it was a very short trip to not playing at all.

I do want the new AC to have the same depth and breadth that New Leaf had, but I also want to be able to play it at my own pace. I don't want to be obligated to log in every single day for at least X amount of time, because I don't have the time for that every day - and, very often, I just don't have the desire to zone out and run through the chore list of find all weeds, hit every rock, shake every tree, dig up every fossil, talk to everyone to make sure they're not leaving, etc.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah I still check on my camp at least once a day, more if I care about the current event. My underwater campsite has TWO pools. (One is exclusively for a certain otter.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Nintendo is now more about providing regular content updates than they were when New Leaf came out. That game got one big content update, but it was just one. If the new game offers constant special events and new items I think a lot more players will stay interested. I wouldn’t even mind if they had paid DLC as long as the additions were significant and it doesn’t turn in to the “pay if you want all the cool items” model that we’re seeing in Pocket Camp.

Pocket Camp is pretty fair as far as free-to-play games go but a similar model would completely tarnish the spirit of the mainline Animal Crossing.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    You show up in town with LITERALLY just the shirt on your back and maybe some pocket change. You've got nothing. Tom Nook happens to have just built some new houses that nobody has moved into yet, and lets you move in. Or, as in New Leaf, Tom Nook builds a house for you, and asks you to pay him back but never harasses you about it. And when you finally do pay him back, he offers to expand your house, which yet again you can pay back at your leisure.

I think Tom Nook is a pretty cool guy. He has a family to feed, but he's also generous to a fault.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I burned out on New Leaf much faster than I should have, mostly because the economy was very broken and easily abused in that game. And that was back in the dark ages when Nintendo thought that the entire internet was a dark corner of unsavory types out to get our children. And so software updates just weren't a thing, even though their competitors had already been doing patch cycles on games for years.

They needed to do a pretty serious economy-fixing patch to New Leaf and nerf a bunch of the exploitable stuff (like golden beetles) so that the rest of the game was playable.

Like 90% of the game became irrelevant as soon as you could go to the bug island and hunt beetles.

It became a question of "Why do X activity when I could just go hunt beetles?"

Turnips have been broken since Wild World on DS. Beetle farming was quaint, if anything.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Beetle Farming gave you income to start your Turnip Enterprise.

Regardless, if you're spending most of your time in Animal Crossing concerned about how to get more money, I'd suggest you take a step back and think about what you really want to do with that money. Money does a lot of stuff in the game, but past a certain point, there isn't much of a point to getting more. turn it on, talk to some animals, plant some flowers.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    There’s a lot more to do in Animal Crossing than make money or get every item. Those are very traditional game goals. The point of Animal Crossing is to play it your own way so I won’t get too critical of people with those goals. But if that’s all it’s about to you then it’s kind of missing the point. Happy Home Designer was born because Nintendo saw how much people liked the interior decorating aspect of the game. I’ve seen some towns that are incredible because of how meticulously they were redesigned with custom textures.

It’s like Mario Maker. Some people get a lot out of it because they delve deeply in to making levels. Other people want to just play some Mario levels. One of those types is naturally going to have their interest held a lot longer.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Been enjoying Pocket Camp but man, the small item limit on the campsite is killing me.

I need breathing room to turn this part of the woods into a proper fashion disaster.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I am very disappointed that Pocket Camp has turned into Loot Cookie City. It really sucks that collecting furniture and campsite terrain is locked behind Nook Bux.

And they sent me a survey the other day, and none of the questions along the lines of "why did you stop playing?" had "lootboxes" as the answer.

Just makes me want the mainline AC game to at least get a release date.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Yeah I’m going to drop PC like a bad habit once the real game is out. But there’s still enough content to be had for free, as long as I’m ok not getting everything.

edited March 2019
    I haven't spent a dime on PC and I have like 800 Nookbux, having spent probably 1000 in the last year. They give those things away like candy at Halloween. As long as you don't have a compulsive desire to own ALL THE THINGS it's fine.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    I haven't spent a dime on PC and I have like 800 Nookbux, having spent probably 1000 in the last year. They give those things away like candy at Halloween. As long as you don't have a compulsive desire to own ALL THE THINGS it's fine.

But “COLLECT ALL THE THINGS” is kind of key to Animal Crossing.

I don’t even need to, but I do want maybe specific things. And I can’t even reasonably get those without nookbux.

edited March 2019
    I've been mostly lucky that I haven't cared that much about the fortune cookie items, which are the real lootboxes if you do. But everything else, like my fully-underwater campsite or Pascal's wading pool, was just a matter of saving up via goals or whatever.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't mean to necropost
    But I was making fun to my brother about a certain video pointing out how we have not heard anything about the switch game for 7 months.

Still the only thing I want them to keep from New leaf is the amiibo functions. He wants the same but wants Star Fox, Falco and Wolf to come to the game {they have Wolf and Eagle models it's not hard to slap a skin on it] He also wants them to talk the way they do in the Star Fox games with comments of they are not from around here. Have their arwings in their house kind of things

Yeah, I hope we can have better control over what animal neighbors we have.

akjak wrote: »

This is why I also want them to bring back amiibo support. I got cards of my favorite animals so that I could get them back if they moved. The randomize thing can be nice but I gotta have my Elmer, gosh darn it.

This is why I also want them to bring back amiibo support. I got cards of my favorite animals so that I could get them back if they moved. The randomize thing can be nice but I gotta have my Elmer, gosh darn it.

And how they flake out after a certain time

I am sorry you LIVE HERE
    FOREVER

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    For me i just want to be able to zone their fucking houses. I spent THIS LONG DESIGNING THIS VILLAGE, MORTALS. YOU SHALL NOT MOVE IN WHERE YOU PLEASE.

MY AESTHETIC SENSE SHALL NOT BE COMPROMISED.

I'm hoping we have some equivalent to the street pass houses though - i loved that. I put a lot of effort into my house, except for the basement... which i instead stuffed full of like 4 complete furniture sets, so people got a nice surprise rather than an "oh god why".

...Okay, so maybe i hid the jukebox in the back, and had it playing one of the creepier/more offputting songs....

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    My emotional ties to New Leaf where annihilated when Rod, the first friend I made in the game and my favorite villager, moved out. I didn't log in for one day, and that happened to be the day on which I could convince him to stay. He moved out, and soon after I just stopped wanting to play the game.

There are a lot of issues one can take with the design of Pocket Camp, but one thing that I want to become a series mainstay is the ability to pick which animals are staying in your village on a whim. I don't have the time to play the game every single day, and it feels very bad when the game punishes me for that.

The same thing happened to me with Static. Genuine heartbreak over here. I moved him back in when amiibo cards happened, but he wasn’t MY Static anymore.

(My "Awesome" is less cheering at your heartache and more empathizing with your pain.)

The same thing happened to me with Static. Genuine heartbreak over here. I moved him back in when amiibo cards happened, but he wasn’t MY Static anymore.

Man wasn't meant to play god.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    My emotional ties to New Leaf where annihilated when Rod, the first friend I made in the game and my favorite villager, moved out. I didn't log in for one day, and that happened to be the day on which I could convince him to stay. He moved out, and soon after I just stopped wanting to play the game.
    I had it even worse: when Olivia abandoned me after a one-day lapse, she hadn't just been around for my entire New Leaf run, but also for the entirety of my original Gamecube run years before. Never played again after that.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    We should start a twitter hashtag to tell these stories to Nintendo. #AnimalCrossingAbandonmentSyndrome ?

I've had enough of y'all's bellyaching; I'm moving to a deserted island.

https://youtu.be/_3YNL0OWio0

...in 2020.

Here's half an hour of gameplay:

https://youtu.be/dEh3MPy4GAU

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    I cannot bring myself to “awesome,” I’m too sad

I have questions. But I feel later on like the after Xmas direct will be answered

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    they 100% had a bad idea with a bad build and had to scrap it, and that happens sometimes.
    looks like they barely got their engine and build together in time for the e3 demo,
    but it also looks like nintendo's giving them time to make it right, and i'm really happy about that.

i am fully here in support of their new idea, can't wait to play it, looks absolutely amazing, wish it were sooner.
    it seems like a great natural evolution of their themes - DIY from new leaf escalated into pocket camp,
    and now we're on an island building everything up from scratch.

the "customize your town" aspect gets carried even further - throw down your stuff anywhere you want!
    i bet they could take the large-scale projects from ACPC and make them into big outdoor-only furniture.

i like it and it feels like a great direction from what i've seen.
    ...nine months, though, is a very long time.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm assuming that going by what we saw in the trailer we'll eventually be able to develop a big ol house as usual as well as standbys like the museum. I ceartinly hope so...

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'll be interested to see how the same system multiplayer works on this one.

On Cube/Wii everyone was in one town. Good for being a shared experience. Not so good for 'missing out' on milestones that other players achieve.

With the Switch and its multiple account system I assume everyone will be segregated into their own town again, but it would be nice if you could still visit the other 'local' islands.

Basically what I'm saying is I hope I can hide pit traps in my daughters'/wife's towns while they aren't playing.

Edit: I'm also looking forward to playing an AC with Nintendo's current philosophy of drip feeding constant small but significant content updates.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    The Treehouse demo showed multiple people on "the same island" playing together by splitting Joy-Cons. Said up to four could play this way but the game supports 8 active players IIRC.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    I'm curious how this interacts with the Switch's portability. Specifically, can a villager migrate from one Switch to another? Like, let's say I get the game, my wife and I both make villagers and play (together or apart), great. Then, later, we get a second Switch; I bring the first one with me as a portable device and the second one stays at home. Would my wife be able to move her villager onto the second Switch, so she can play when me and the original Switch are not at home?

I'm sure this is the kind of fiddly question that's not gonna get answered for a while, though.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Yeah I hope I'm going going to have to buy two copies of the game so my wife can play, too.

I got burned out on the 3DS one but it was still great fun, so I'm looking forward to this!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I know I'm going to have to get a 2nd switch now for my daughter. It's going to be fun to at least play together on the same island until that happens. I hope we each can save our progress on different profiles like all the other games so far.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
This discussion has been closed.