As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    New thread title just came to me.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    From what I've seen/read about Kimi's attitude to driving in F1, he pretty much just sees it as a job. If going to Sauber keeps him in a seat to continue his job, I can see why he'd take it.

steam_sig.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Sauber has actually been reasonably good this year too. They're in the mid-pack compared to where they've been the last few years. I do think it's Leclerc's driving in combination with the Ferrari engine that has gotten them there. He's the first legitimately good driver they've had since 2011-2013 when Kobayashi, Hulkenburg, and Perez were driving for them.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I got to my nemesis track, Monaco, in F12018. At max downforce and sticky tires, the feedback in my steering wheel around the track in practice is giving me a full blown upper body workout. My pecs are screaming at me to stop, but I'm only a few laps in on FP1.

Game is good.

I got to my nemesis track, Monaco, in F12018. At max downforce and sticky tires, the feedback in my steering wheel around the track in practice is giving me a full blown upper body workout. My pecs are screaming at me to stop, but I'm only a few laps in on FP1.

Game is good.

What kinda wheel are you using?

steam_sig.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

Game is good.

What kinda wheel are you using?

My trusty Logitech G29.

Kimi ain't give a fuck, as usual :lol:

Update on my Monaco race. So I qualified 4th, and as per usual I lost a couple places at the start. Lost a front wing on lap 2 so came in for a new one and fresh tires to get off those horrid hyper softs. Seriously, they take like five laps to get up to temp and then only last for two more laps before you need to shed them.

So I was off schedule on pit stops but after the first shuffle I was like P12, made a couple passes, then a caution and another round of pit stops and I’m up to like P8. Then I start having transmission faults as it is reaching end of life just in time for Monaco, great! But being Monaco, I’m able to block any passing from the train of cars behind me since I still had about 70% pace. Things are working out well enough and before final pit stop time it starts raining! So push as best I can before popping on inters for the rest of the race.

Oh shit, I wasn’t watching fuel, it’s about 10 laps remaining and I’m P7 but almost a lap low on fuel. Good ol’ full course safety car caution saves the day. Fuel saving now but I had to go do adulting stuff so saved mid session under caution with 8 laps remaining. Assuming my car doesn’t blow up I should have P7 locked down. Will be my best finish at Monaco ever in these games.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Passing at Monaco, completely unrealistic.

steam_sig.png
    If Verstappen can do it by the pool then so can I.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    That Kimi answer... amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I'm on my second season on F1 2017, and I've devoted my entire early game towards weight improvements just so that braking in Monaco is easier. That track man... that track. Was re-watching the grand tour when they have to complete a lap there in fast hatchbacks and I've never had more appreciation for watching someone attempt a track than that. You simply cannot fuck up there at all.

Finished Monaco. My transmission shit the bed with 2 laps to go and I lost a couple positions to finish 9th. Still the best I've ever done. Without mechanical issues, I suspect I would have achieved top 5. Ricciardo won, but for some reason they haven't added him taking a footie during the trophy presentation.

Finished Monaco. My transmission shit the bed with 2 laps to go and I lost a couple positions to finish 9th. Still the best I've ever done. Without mechanical issues, I suspect I would have achieved top 5. Ricciardo won, but for some reason they haven't added him taking a footie during the trophy presentation.

I think podium stuff hasn't wasn't changed with this year's F1 game

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2018
    TeeMan wrote: »

I think podium stuff hasn't wasn't changed with this year's F1 game

Some of the podium animations have been there since 2015, IIRC. But the drivers are never shown drinking champagne, from shoes or in more traditional ways; I can imagine that would impact on the games' ratings in some regions.

- - -

In FP2 in Singapore, Vettel clipped the wall and his car has been in the pits ever since, as he drops down the order and puddles of coolant continue to appear under his car. Stroll's right rear brake caught fire. And Raikkonen is going like the clappers - still top of the standings as I type, albeit by only eleven thousandths from Hamilton.

Jazz on
  • Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    I will laugh my ass off if Kimi wins a couple GPs at some point during the remainder of the season.

Go you brilliant Finnish bastard, go!

So the announcers were going on and on about Leclerc better not hit the wall in his Ferrari next year like he did in FP1. But then Vettel does it in FP2. lol

edited September 2018
    Ferraris on top in FP3, Vettel leading by half a second from the Mercs and three-and-a-half tenths from Raikkonen.

Mark Webber's "no-mates" moment on C4 was hilarious :lol:

Jazz on
    edited September 2018
    C4 confirms they WILL have F1 next year again on UK TV - albeit 20 highlights shows and just the one live race (Silverstone) the only way it was possible given the Sky deal. As much as it's a step down from where we are now, it's also the best possible outcome working around that utter bastard of a contract. (Fuck you, Ecclestone, fuck you.)

I wouldn't mind if they dumped Steve Jones from the line-up, though...

(For those of you elsewhere in the world, Bernie Ecclestone signed a contract with Rupert Murdoch's Sky satellite TV for exclusive F1 live coverage. For the last few years, Channel 4 - a free-to-air channel, who picked up F1 when the BBC dropped it in an effort to save money - has been able to broadcast F1 live for half the races, and an extended highlights show for the other half, while Sky covers everything live on a dedicated satellite channel. The new Sky deal looked like C4 - and thus free-to-air as a whole - was going to lose F1 altogether, so this new deal is at least a lot better than that.)

Jazz on
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Especially agreed on the "fuck Ecclestone" part. Should have been gone many years before he actually left.

Glad to hear C4 are keeping at least some coverage. Nothing kills a sport quicker than paywalling viewing - especially when that sport is driven by advertising revenue. A lot of TV contracts these days seem to hugely undervalue the audience being free to air gives them. Just being on the BBC for example can give a sport a huge boost.

On Quali:
    Wow. Seriously. That was an absolute scorcher from Hamilton.

A clean 3 tenths ahead of Verstappen (who was also very impressive) and 6 tenths to Vettel on a track they were expected to dominate. nearly 7 tenths to Bottas. It's days like these that show why he's a four time champion.

altid on
    edited September 2018
    altid wrote: »
    Especially agreed on the "fuck Ecclestone" part. Should have been gone many years before he actually left.

Glad to hear C4 are keeping at least some coverage. Nothing kills a sport quicker than paywalling viewing - especially when that sport is driven by advertising revenue. A lot of TV contracts these days seem to hugely undervalue the audience being free to air gives them. Just being on the BBC for example can give a sport a huge boost.

On Quali:
    Wow. Seriously. That was an absolute scorcher from Hamilton.

A clean 3 tenths ahead of Verstappen (who was also very impressive) and 6 tenths to Vettel on a track they were expected to dominate. nearly 7 tenths to Bottas. It's days like these that show why he's a four time champion.

The BBC has very little sport left... some athletics and Wimbledon, pretty much. I remember when it had everything...

I think they're trying to go the league football route, keeping that paywalled hasn't been a huge detriment to it. It drives traffic to pubs, too, and I hope some will be putting F1 on. Still, they then have Match of the Day and stuff, so the C4 deal effectively does that for F1.
    Lewis was on fire. That lap was astonishing. Jaws on floors all round. Magnificent.

It's being compared by multiple people to Ayrton Senna's famous 1988 Monaco pole lap, where he described it as as though he was "no longer driving the car consciously"; Lewis was similarly at a loss to describe where his lap came from. Let's hope he fares better than Senna did in the actual race...

Jazz on
    It has pretty much only ever worked for league football though. Other sports that tried it - most notably cricket - rendered themselves nearly irrelevant through paywalling. It is sad to see the gradual decline of the BBC, but that's a topic for the politics thread I think!

edited September 2018
    True, true. Not that F1 has excelled at bringing in a new audience in recent years, certainly in the UK, but Liberty have at least started the long process of trying, even if it's like doing a U-turn in a supertanker.

Bernie, famously, didn't care about bringing in new viewers, especially younger ones, "because they don't buy [products from the big sponsors of the whole sport such as] Rolex watches or Allianz business insurance" or words to that effect.

Liberty at least have given F1 2018 (the game) some prime advertising space at the last couple of European races, which I think is visible evidence that they get it.

Jazz on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah, young people never buy Hondas or Renaults or Red Bull.

Nope, never.

Nova_C wrote: »
    Yeah, young people never buy Hondas or Renaults or Red Bull.

Nope, never.
    Exactly.

Bernie didn't think like that, of course.

I'm not entirely sold on what Liberty are up to - really not a fan of the "TV" changes like starting at 10 past, or the stupid "just out of the car" interviews (to get them in and allow TV coverage to cut off sooner). Has a whiff of the "appealing to audiences that don't actually watch at the expense of those who do". Nothing game-breaking yet though, just general concern.

Still, by virtue of doing the absolutely basic stuff like YouTube highlights they're already miles ahead of Ecclestone.

I'm not entirely sold on what Liberty are up to - really not a fan of the "TV" changes like starting at 10 past, or the stupid "just out of the car" interviews (to get them in and allow TV coverage to cut off sooner). Has a whiff of the "appealing to audiences that don't actually watch at the expense of those who do". Nothing game-breaking yet though, just general concern.

Still, by virtue of doing the absolutely basic stuff like YouTube highlights they're already miles ahead of Ecclestone.

Without the YouTube stuff I'd miss out on 90% of my F1 related viewing, I highly value it.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2018
    Race:
    Oof.

Perez apologetic on the radio for stuffing Ocon into the wall. And another slightly late safety car call. I wonder if they're leaving first-lap safety cars until there's a full run down the back straight to the overtaking opportunity rather than neutralise the race immediately.

Jazz on
    Fuck. I thought this one was at the now standard 14.10 start time.

Vettel is in trouble on those Ultrasofts; he's no faster than the other leaders on Softs and he's definitely going to have to stop again, barring miracles. Awesome from Verstappen and Red Bull to claw back second, and Vettel doesn't look like he has an answer.

edited September 2018
    Good scrap between Leclerc and Gasly, bodes well for when they have front running cars next year.

Jazz on
    Dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen Perez do. What the fuck.

Haven’t seen the replay but first glance looked plain idiotic by Perez

Some really good racing at the back!

Jazz wrote: »
    Always feels like an impending accident though.

edited September 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    Always feels like an impending accident though.
    So long as no-one gets hurt!

Absolutely bananas for the last few minutes

Edit: yup, some blue flag investigations coming, it was entertaining to watch though

Jazz on
    The gap between the top 6 and everyone else is massive. 54 seconds to Alonso!

Perez possibly a bit lucky to only get a drive through. Reminded me of vettel’s Baku moment.

The gap between the top 6 and everyone else is massive. 54 seconds to Alonso!

Perez possibly a bit lucky to only get a drive through. Reminded me of vettel’s Baku moment.
    F1 really is practically a two-class racing series at the moment in all but name.

Yeah, I think Perez was lucky to "only" get a drive-through after that.

edited September 2018
    29 seconds ahead of Vettel. Ferrari didn't just get beaten, they got spanked.

Edit: my mistake, 39 seconds.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.