As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - This Is Why I’m Hot

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - This Is Why I’m Hot

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Looks like Gabe watched the Verge video.

• Options
    Dark_StangDark_Stang some nerd Registered User new member
    I think that board should have RAM in slots 2 and 4, not 3 and 4.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...How is that processor only "normal mouth hot" with no heatsink? What witchery is this?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of my dad’s days in tech support. “My kids know not to mess with my computer, there’s a note that reads “NO KIDS ALLOWED” stuck to the side of it with a magnet.”

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    @Drascin: Maybe he's using farenheit for the mouth but celsius for the processor? Most CPU's/GPU's will throttle at around 90-100C. IDK if a CPU without a heatsink could run an OS without overheating though, maybe a lightweight Linux distro.

• Options
    just6979just6979 Registered User new member
    That pic makes my mouth hot! Like, Atomic Fireball hot! The fact that it's actually powered up is doubly scary, like it's a GIF and I can see the CPU lid melting away.

• Options
    Paul51Paul51 Registered User new member
    You guys are overthinking the mouth temperature thing.

The joke is supposed to be that Gabe is a relative doofus about PCs, and is thus speaking in scientifically questionable terms gleaned from a commercial which referenced the normal mouth as being a dry, scorching desert (with appropriate visuals), but a winterfresh mouth being "much....much....cooler!" (cue scenes of swimming, snowboarding, etc).

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Grendus wrote: »
    @Drascin: Maybe he's using farenheit for the mouth but celsius for the processor? Most CPU's/GPU's will throttle at around 90-100C. IDK if a CPU without a heatsink could run an OS without overheating though, maybe a lightweight Linux distro.

In my experience, they'll usually shut down within a couple minutes just sitting in the BIOS menu.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I feel this would be funnier if I actually knew what the heck I was looking at in the second panel.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    I feel this would be funnier if I actually knew what the heck I was looking at in the second panel.

The white-looking square in the top middle is the main processor for the computer. It gets extremely hot, and needs a heat sink and a fan to help it cool down otherwise it won't function.

Something like this, at the very least:
    Q7ifeCY.jpg

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    But Mike can buy it and I can enjoy it without feeling that I’ve somehow let down the woman in the Great Depression photo.

This has to be one of the best one of the best things Jerry has written in a while.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

As noted above, the second panel is basically something you should never see unless you're building a computer, and then in the roughly 30 seconds between installing the CPU and putting the heat sink on it.

Think of it as the tech support equivalent of someone bringing their car in complaining about low acceleration and the mechanic finding it only had half an engine. The question is less why the car had low acceleration than wondering how such a situation ever came up in the first place and how they got it to drive to the mechanics in the first place. Under any normal use that computer would probably overheat in less than ten seconds, which is probably why it has smoke coming out in the first panel.

Bremen on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...How is that processor only "normal mouth hot" with no heatsink? What witchery is this?

A normal Dragon's mouth

• Options
    mcunninghammcunningham Registered User new member
    This comic is my life. The fact that the PC is on with no heatsink on that processor is like some Pat Rothfuss BS.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »

As noted above, the second panel is basically something you should never see unless you're building a computer, and then in the roughly 30 seconds between installing the CPU and putting the heat sink on it.

Think of it as the tech support equivalent of someone bringing their car in complaining about low acceleration and the mechanic finding it only had half an engine. The question is less why the car had low acceleration than wondering how such a situation ever came up in the first place and how they got it to drive to the mechanics in the first place. Under any normal use that computer would probably overheat in less than ten seconds, which is probably why it has smoke coming out in the first panel.

Or (to use an even more direct comparison) finding a car with no radiator.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Paul51 wrote: »

The joke is supposed to be that Gabe is a relative doofus about PCs, and is thus speaking in scientifically questionable terms gleaned from a commercial which referenced the normal mouth as being a dry, scorching desert (with appropriate visuals), but a winterfresh mouth being "much....much....cooler!" (cue scenes of swimming, snowboarding, etc).

TBF, when's the last time you've seen a Winterfresh commercial on the air?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AgroAgro Registered User new member
    Someone has been taking PC build advice from The Verge.

• Options
    Paul51Paul51 Registered User new member
    edited September 2018

I think the last time a Winterfresh commercial like the one being referenced was on the air was about the time someone who would remember it and get the reference was younger and much...much...cooler!

So like...a super long time ago :bigfrown:

Paul51 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    A processor without a heat sink would probably turn itself off due to excess heat immediately, I don't think it would even do much in the way of damage, it just wouldn't work.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

It's usually orbit or 5 gum these days.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    A processor without a heat sink would probably turn itself off due to excess heat immediately, I don't think it would even do much in the way of damage, it just wouldn't work.

I would hope so, but life has taught me the harsh lesson that one can devise the most foolproof safety measures in all creation, and there will still be those that demonstrate a savant-like ur-genius at bypassing those measures at the worst possible time.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Looks like Gabe's technology issues are heridatery.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

That's the opposite of overthinking.

• Options
    Ryulin1990Ryulin1990 Registered User new member
    *hyperventilating*

• Options
    edited September 2018

Back in my day, our processors melted, and we LIKED it.

Wait, no, that's not right. We DIDN'T like it. But it did totally happen.

dennis on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Back in my day, our processors melted, and we LIKED it.

Wait, no, that's not right. We DIDN'T like it. But it did totally happen.

Yeah these days overtemp protections on most processors and motherboards will shut down before things get too bad. In that one video from several years ago where they took the heatsink off while running i think only one of them actually burned.

Though it's still not a good idea to repeatedly overheat it because frequent heating cooling cycles are bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HaravikkHaravikk Registered User new member
    To be fair, modern processors are very good at throttling performance to stay within their thermal limits; while obviously running without a heatsink means you'll hit those limits a lot faster, with a decent fan pulling cold air over the processor's heat transfer plate you might still get reasonable (but far from great) performance out of it without it shutting down.

The main problem with having a heatsink attached is that the processor will hit that limit suddenly, throttle back aggressively, cool down a bit, speed up, rinse and repeat, giving you really inconsistent performance and temperatures. But I've never had a pure CPU shut down due to temperature in years, I've only ever had that with CPUs that have integrated graphics when both parts are being worked hard, and even then, newer processors are better at balancing the two.

There's still a risk of damage doing something silly like this, but I think we're generally past the good old days where a processor would literally melt itself or catch fire.

• Options
    Haravikk wrote: »
    To be fair, modern processors are very good at throttling performance to stay within their thermal limits; while obviously running without a heatsink means you'll hit those limits a lot faster, with a decent fan pulling cold air over the processor's heat transfer plate you might still get reasonable (but far from great) performance out of it without it shutting down.

Speaking of which, I discovered something surprising not too long ago. We'd had some reports of performance problems with some software we wrote. As part of trying to help out the main programmer, I was doing some testing. I intentionally made the program go into a tight loop. And yet, looking at the cpu graph none of the cores maxed out. For example, on a four core machine, it showed the app using 25% of each core. Now, those aren't all truly operating simultaneously, as it's still single-threaded. It is more like throwing the hot potato back and forth between cores.

I was quite puzzled, until I realized that at some point the chips/OS got smart enough to balance even a single-threaded app across all the cores. I've been a full-time programmer and builder-of-my-own-systems for about two decades, and I had somehow missed this transition. I told this to the other person with the same kind of experience, and they flat out didn't believe me until I showed them.

I've (intentionally due to a combination of not being a subject expert and it getting even more off-topic) glossed over how this is actually achieved. But upon googling it, I found a very good reason (that is related to this thread) for it beyond anything else: heat distribution. Maxing out one core while others are idle is going to create a hot spot.

• Options
    DarktalonDarktalon Registered User new member
    The memory is in the wrong slots, they need to be 1st and 3rd slot, or 2nd and 4th. Check using CPU-Z, the memory tab, if it says Channel Dual, it is correct, if it says Single, it is wrong.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    also, 860W power brick with a single video card? doesn't gabe have a 1050 GTX? that pc probably draws 300W max (ok, 305 with a cpu fan LULz). even with the 75% rule, a 500W would be overkill.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    it's the bestest, you see

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    I feel like I am looking at star trek or something. (doesn't know anything about computers)

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    I feel like I am looking at star trek or something. (doesn't know anything about computers)

to be honest, a lot of what you're seeing in that particular shot is RGB LED lighting, which, if we're being honest, has no actual functional value to the computer.

but it does makes you feel like your computer is from Star Trek!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    SayonaRRaSayonaRRa Registered User new member
    There used to be a time, long ago, where computers woulnt even POST with this type of BS. How can one be so naive and not install a heatsink ? Remember the athlons & Durons of yore ? open silicon, no IHS ? That would burn in seconds and maybe take your mobo with it too... those were the times you really needed to know more than jack shiznit about PCs...

• Options
    SayonaRRa wrote: »
    There used to be a time, long ago, where computers woulnt even POST with this type of BS. How can one be so naive and not install a heatsink ? Remember the athlons & Durons of yore ? open silicon, no IHS ? That would burn in seconds and maybe take your mobo with it too... those were the times you really needed to know more than jack shiznit about PCs...

It probably changed about the time they stopped making case edges out of razor blades.