As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Crusader Kings 2 as a 3rd person action/strategy game?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The Devs should just ask the CKII folks if they could borrow their AI for Bannerlord’s political system. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The Devs should just ask the CKII folks if they could borrow their AI for Bannerlord’s political system. :razz:

I hope Bannerlord includes some sort of API. Just imagine being able to export a CK2 battle into Bannerlord, play it through, and then import the results.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    New dev blog! Just one of their dev's bios. But does feature this gem:

https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/News/blog_post_57_taleworldswebsite_02.gif

j91z3bpml1wp.jpg

::edited to make the gif a link, too big, thanks for the heads up Elven!::

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    dat cape tho

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I don't care if Bannerlord essentially looks like Warband with a graphics overhaul and some mods baked in. Inject this shit directly into my veins.

• Options
    All i really want is better UI, controls and personal combat, but i fear it might just be graphical upgrade with some extra features.
    And if that's all i get, fine, i'll take it.

• Options
    A lot of the under-the-hood stuff sounds great and if the surface level stuff is still functionally the same as before but prettier I'd be satisfied.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    All i really want is better UI, controls and personal combat, but i fear it might just be graphical upgrade with some extra features.
    And if that's all i get, fine, i'll take it.

The UI has definitely been improved. That's one of my most looked forward to things.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    How well do the troops respond to commands?
    My biggest turn offs with warband was the poor troop commands.
    Took forever to get everyone into formation, and my soldiers were constantly getting stuck to each other making anything fancier that "Shield wall at front, archers at back, everyone else charges from sides" doomed to fail.

(second biggest was my feeling of being trapped in a constant cycle of build up troop numbers/levels, get trashed by giant army of bandits, build up troop numbers/levels)

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Took forever to get everyone into formation, and my soldiers were constantly getting stuck to each other making anything fancier that "Shield wall at front, archers at back, everyone else charges from sides" doomed to fail.

(second biggest was my feeling of being trapped in a constant cycle of build up troop numbers/levels, get trashed by giant army of bandits, build up troop numbers/levels)

By all accounts troop command is vastly improved.

One of the very first things they ever showed off about Bannerlord was the new troop command interface and how easy and smooth it was to command troops.

• Options
    I don't know if they've talked much about formations. That's something I should look into. I wasn't really a fan of the system in Warband because while you had a lot of options, it was really clunky to ride somewhere and "infantry here!" then dash over to the side and "cavalry here!" etc, then "spread out!" okay "archers move forward" "archers move forward" "archers move forward" "archers move forward" "archers move forward", etc.

I'd much prefer either something akin to Total War for setting up a battle, or some sort of preset formations that you can order everyone into.

• Options
    A graphical UI like Total War, except centered at your character, you could go into at any point to give orders would be great.
    You'd need either high ground to use it properly in heat of battle, or run around to give commands to specific units, and eagle eye view for pre fight formations.
    Also preset formations.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

"Infantry, move to this hill!"
    "Okay, you're on the hill but you need to go further to defend the top!"
    "No, that's too far, you need to back up a few steps!"
    "Okay, now you're where I want you but you're not lined up properly!"
    "Okay, that's good enough. Archers, move to the top of the hill!"
    "Hold up, some of you are on top of the hill but most of you are mixed in with the infantry and can't fire properly!"
    "Okay, now you're on top of the hill but you're oriented the wrong way so you're blocking each other!"
    "Okay, a quarter of you are still jumbled with the infantry but that's all we have time for. Cavalry, move to the flanks!"
    "Dammit, why did a third of you dismount your horses. Now we have to wait for you to make a half assed infantry line!"
    "No, don't block the archers with your horses!"
    "Okay, fine you can get stuck on that rock on top of the hill. Your horses shield some of us from missiles at least."
    "Well, this is as good as we're going to get with only a few minutes to prepare. Time to engage the enem-"
    *Gets knocked out by a crossbow bolt*

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

"Infantry, move to this hill!"
    "Okay, you're on the hill but you need to go further to defend the top!"
    "No, that's too far, you need to back up a few steps!"
    "Okay, now you're where I want you but you're not lined up properly!"
    "Okay, that's good enough. Archers, move to the top of the hill!"
    "Hold up, some of you are on top of the hill but most of you are mixed in with the infantry and can't fire properly!"
    "Okay, now you're on top of the hill but you're oriented the wrong way so you're blocking each other!"
    "Okay, a quarter of you are still jumbled with the infantry but that's all we have time for. Cavalry, move to the flanks!"
    "Dammit, why did a third of you dismount your horses. Now we have to wait for you to make a half assed infantry line!"
    "No, don't block the archers with your horses!"
    "Okay, fine you can get stuck on that rock on top of the hill. Your horses shield some of us from missiles at least."
    "Well, this is as good as we're going to get with only a few minutes to prepare. Time to engage the enem-"
    *Gets knocked out by a crossbow bolt*
    Have you been watching me play? *stares suspiciously*

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It's how everyone plays Mount&blade.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    It's how everyone plays Mount&blade.

There's also the variant where you do all the fiddling with your own formation in a big battle only to have the AI allied units charge into the enemy meat grinder.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    My battle tactics are usually as thus:

1. run up to a hill
    2. Tell everyone to stand on said hill
    3. Tell the cavalry to follow me
    4. Wait until the infantry lines gets within range of each other's archers.
    5. Charge their archers, with the cavalry following me.
    6. Tell everyone to charge.

Works about 4/5 times and doesn't have me tearing my hair out about how horrible the system is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    My battle tactics are usually as thus:

1. run up to a hill
    2. Tell everyone to stand on said hill
    3. Tell the cavalry to follow me
    4. Wait until the infantry lines gets within range of each other's archers.
    5. Charge their archers, with the cavalry following me.
    6. Tell everyone to charge.

Works about 4/5 times and doesn't have me tearing my hair out about how horrible the system is.

Mine are the same except inbetween 2 and 3 it is "Give inspiring battle speech".

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    step 1: only take archers
    step 2: put archers on hill
    step 3: run circles around enemy army to draw aggro while archers rain death
    step 4: profit.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    step 1: only take archers
    step 2: put archers on hill
    step 3: run circles around enemy army to draw aggro while archers rain death
    step 4: profit.

Alternatively:

Step 1: Only take cavalry
    Step 2: CHARGE
    Step 3: Celebrate inevitable victory

• Options
    I think my tactics are made more complex due to mostly playing PoP which has wandering enemies that hard counter a lot of the simpler tactics. An all medium cavalry band of Jatu will quickly lance down an archer heavy force that isn't all Noldr before you can even order them to get on a hill, an all cavalry force has trouble with the polearm heavy Empire armies (though that also had trouble in vanilla in sieges against Rhodoks and other good defenders as your Swadian knights insisted a lance was a perfectly acceptable close quarters weapon).

My standard setup on anything I had to worry about was akin to this:
    1) Place archers on elevated terrain.
    2) Place infantry in front of archers lower on the slope.
    3) Have cavalry, mounted companions, and mounted archers follow me.
    4) Ride along the flank of the enemy host as their cavalry engages the melee line.
    5) Ride fast enough so that my following units form a line to maximize lancing potential and order melee cavalry to charge into enemy flank.
    6) Circle around enemies picking off whoever I can while mounted archers fired into the other enemy flanks and mounted companions form a bodyguard against sudden lancing.
    7) At some point my mounted archers run out of arrows so they charge in too.
    8) Repeat 2+ more times because PoP battles tend to be big.

Deviations happen for more specialized enemies like Jatu who will have charged in by the time I set the barest of formations.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i dearly hope that we'll be able to do more complex formations like bull horns and stuff.

• Options
    with physics i'm hoping wedge formations for calvalry can really do some damage and divide infantry and do other cool stuff

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    New blog today, on QUESTS!

Basically, still optional, but they've made it way easier to track the details of the quests through an enhanced Quests log ...

bsrnq5q107o5.png

... and added WoW-style ! markers for people who actually have quests, so that you don't spend hours going, "Hey, Lord Hamstar, do you have any jobs for me?," only to be met with hours of, "I have no jobs for you at this time."

dtlrniyrz1ql.png

• Options
    I was super happy when I read that. Getting quests from lords in Warband is kind of a nightmare.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    I like to do no calvary and pretend my army completely despises horses and use that banner that's two horse heads and pretend it's decapitated horses.

The orders are basically:
    Infantry follow me.
    Infantry hold position.
    STAND CLOSER
    STAND CLOSER
    STAND CLOSER
    STAND CLOSER
    Archers fall back 10 steps.

I am really going to miss the awesome art on the menu screens. I've seen screenshots where they're just "blank" menus, which is disappointing. I felt like the art in the first game really made it.

This game needs to come out already :[

• Options
    New blog post this week on kingdom management!

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/80

Actually some pretty cool stuff there, but I’m phone posting so you need to go see it for yourself. It’s kinda like the Matrix, if the matrix were a low-fantasy kingdom sim.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS AND GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.pcgamer.com/mount-and-blade-2-bannerlords-closed-beta-is-underway/?utm_content=buffer2fedb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

itshappening.gif

EDIT: Also, I stopped posting them here because the wait was just, uh, really too long, but there have been some amazingly sweet dev diaries recently, on things like executing your enemies, determining who gets dibs on the heavy cav, and how much stuff you can steal from the peasants before people don't like you any more. So, uh, read those, too.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    My wishes for this game remain the same.
    Better UI to control your troops, better pathing for thosee troops.
    But combat controls would be nice but not a top priority.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    W H A T

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Sooooo how the funk do I get into this beta?

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    Sooooo how the funk do I get into this beta?

They've currently opened it up to a small group of people who play a lot of multiplayer Warband.

The Open Beta is coming "soon." Ish. (TM)

They'll post directions on how to get into that later.

• Options
    Much. Excite.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I am in disbelief

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    I am in disbelief

It had to happen eventually.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
  • Options
    GuildNavGuildNav Registered User regular
    So what's the best overhaul mod at the moment? I really enjoyed PoP a few years back.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    PoP is eternal! There are some others out there but nothing that absolutely trumps it or anything -- if you're in the mood for something different....well you're wrong, play more PoP :biggrin: Slightly more seriously they still update it and tweak/add stuff, so unless you're burnt out it is still a great mod. All of the others I play leave me craving PoP, but I'm sure there are others here that can give better suggestions than me.

steam_sig.png