As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender/Korra] Two More Seasons of the Live-Action Thing, I Guess

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I pretty much lost enthusiasm for Netflix TV series, so I am not going to allow myself to get hyped about this.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They would need Stranger Things budget and not Marvel Netflix budget.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    They would need Stranger Things budget and not Marvel Netflix budget.

Someone at Netflix has a pretty good relationship with the various Avatar creators. I think they'll get a good shot at this.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Aang was fucking terrible at being an Avatar. That is one of the big lessons of Korra

I can't remember too well. What did Aang screw up?

The political system of Republic city is based on Aang and his buddies, he simply let a lot of problems fester, and so on.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    With the original creators in charge and Netflix involved, I'd say there's real potential for something good if Netflix doesn't hamstring the showmakers like Nickelodeon did for Korra.

At the same time, I have no idea how they'll feasibly recreate a lot of locations and sequences without really expensive CG. There's just stuff that an animated series is going to be able to execute a lot more easily than a live-action one.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'm excited as long as the show gets the budget it needs.

I wouldn't say Aang was a terrible Avatar. More that the world was changing much faster than ever before, getting much more complicated, and he was only one person.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Aang was a terrible Avatar. More that the world was changing much faster than ever before, getting much more complicated, and he was only one person.

He was much more interested in being an Airbender than Avatar. (Survivor's guilt, etc)
    Note, I am not saying he was a bad person, but even when dealing with the fire nation, he would've lost rather than done what he needed to do.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Due to the likely budget, I am imagining young adult actors performing wushu enhanced with Hercules/Xena quality effects across redressed New Zealand settings. Actually, let's just say I am imagining this as Hercules/Xena, but with Aang and the Gaang.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Aang was fucking terrible at being an Avatar. That is one of the big lessons of Korra

I can't remember too well. What did Aang screw up?

His kids...

Not directly avatar related, but Korra did make it depressingly obvious he was a bad dad.

Given how aang came to be the avatar and what he went through it would be more surprising if he was not a screw up as a dad.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

He was much more interested in being an Airbender than Avatar. (Survivor's guilt, etc)
    Note, I am not saying he was a bad person, but even when dealing with the fire nation, he would've lost rather than done what he needed to do.

He prioritized his personal feelings and philosophy before being the Avatar and if it wasn't for the lion turtle saving him at the second then Ozai would of succeeded in wiping out the other benders and breaking the Avatar reincarnation cycle.

steam_sig.png
    I can appreciate Aang's shortcomings as a parent given Tenzin was Aang's first and last hope that airbenders and their culture would continue on without him.

But definitely thank the spirits his siblings at least had Katara.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Due to the likely budget, I am imagining young adult actors performing wushu enhanced with Hercules/Xena quality effects across redressed New Zealand settings. Actually, let's just say I am imagining this as Hercules/Xena, but with Aang and the Gaang.

This is a thing I would be perfectly fine with, actually. I loved Hercules/Xena!

steam_sig.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I am very excited to see a live-action version of Avatar for the first time!

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Shame it’s not a sequel to Korra, set it another 70 years later and you don’t even have to make period clothing!

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Shame it’s not a sequel to Korra, set it another 70 years later and you don’t even have to make period clothing!

I can't see Korras universe taking the same cultural turns as ours.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Cautiously optimistic, but I'd rather see a other season of Korra or hop back a few centuries with a different Avatar. Basically, I want new plotlines rather than a remake of the original one, as amazing as it is.

• Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Man how in the world will they get an Azula as intimidating?

On the other hand, casting The Boulder will be perfectly easy

Cautiously optimistic.

• swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    Here's hoping they at least pronounce things correctly.

edited September 2018
    swphreak wrote: »
    Here's hoping they at least pronounce things correctly.

It’s the original creators this time. The money quote from the article:
    We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

They’ve been professional since the movie came out but it’s pretty clear how they feel about M. Night’s hack job.

Quid on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Curious as to what they mean by "non-whitewashed", considering Aang culturally resembles a Tibetan but is very Caucasian in appearance, down to very blue eyes.

A few of the characters would be better suited by ethnic actors (obviously in the main cast), sure, but wide swathes of characters were pretty generic Caucasian in appearance and just wore their nation colors to distinguish them.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I am still hoping for a theatrical version based on the ember island play someday.

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

If expensive.

Curious as to what they mean by "non-whitewashed", considering Aang culturally resembles a Tibetan but is very Caucasian in appearance, down to very blue eyes.

A few of the characters would be better suited by ethnic actors (obviously in the main cast), sure, but wide swathes of characters were pretty generic Caucasian in appearance and just wore their nation colors to distinguish them.

The two characters with the darkest skin tones and playing the largest roles in Aang’s story were replaced with white actors.

Night also completely removed all the Chinese writing and replaced it with gibberish symbols.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Did we watch the same cartoon?

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    okay important question

What is the Cabbage Budget?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm kind of curious how you'd go about making an avatar live action series that wouldn't have Star wars prequel levels of CGI to handle special effects, environments and creatures.

Like, I'm assuming that netflix isn't going to dump game of thrones dollars on this.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    If they film in Georgia for the state tax credits, it will be "My peaches!"

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    All I want is for Sokka to have the right amount of snark. He made the original show for me.

Gaddez wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious how you'd go about making an avatar live action series that wouldn't have Star wars prequel levels of CGI to handle special effects, environments and creatures.

Like, I'm assuming that netflix isn't going to dump game of thrones dollars on this.

Appa and Momo will probably be missing from most shots by sheer coincidence. Unless they make an animatronic Momo which wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

Air bending will be easy. The other elements will be tougher but CGI’s come a long way and the bonus for most of these is they’ll be in action shots where there isn’t a ton of time to scrutinize the visual effects.

I’d wager costumes will be a sizable drain.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm curious and all, but yo I'd rather they just get a new animated series set in the Avatar world. Live action remake is always a lil pointless feeling, even (especially?) with the original creators on board.

Oh brilliant
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'm curious and all, but yo I'd rather they just get a new animated series set in the Avatar world. Live action remake is always a lil pointless feeling, even (especially?) with the original creators on board.

have there been any that have been good? Comic book stuff, sure. But cartoon to live action? I heard death note was ok once you got past the localization and it being Death Note. The Speed Racer movie is good on acid. But i am at a loss for any others that aren't bad.

edit: Erased seemed good, but has a car accident and that's it for special effects.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    There's two Japanese Death Note movies that are pretty solid adaptations, yeh. The Netflix Death Note is fucking weird, feels like it was meant to be a comedy horror and they took out the punchlines.

Oh brilliant
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    American Splendor. That probably doesn't count.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm confused as to why they're doing it in the first place. By the time they finished both series, Mike and Brian came just short of saying they hated working on the property. Now, that's generally because of all the stress involved with the work that goes into the making of the show and dealing with the network overlords, and not because they legitimately hate the characters and story and whatever, but going back to the well a third time just to remake the first series doesn't seem like a smart idea.

sig.gif
    I remember them saying they were tired of it at the time but weren’t opposed to going back after a break. Konietzko has been posting Avatar art on his tumblr for a long while now.

I suspect working under Netflix instead of Nickelodeon also makes it more attractive.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Man how in the world will they get an Azula as intimidating?

Cautiously optimistic.

Too bad Summer Bishil is busy on the excellent show The Magicians, she had a cameo as Azula in the M. Night movie that totally did not happen.

NSFW - swearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPl78lRuKb8&frags=pl%2Cwn

Charismatic. Ruthless. Beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yucdC5laTCI&frags=pl%2Cwn

Harry Dresden on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Japan and Korea both make a ton of horror movies, right? Seems like a smart place to start.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular

Funny thing is that he's doing pretty well with the changes in the comics. I wonder what happened to make him flub things up.
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I am still hoping for a theatrical version based on the ember island play someday.

Me too, buddy. Me too.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Well, if they get far enough, will get a live-action iteration of the Ember Island players. And that's almost the same thing.

sig.gif