As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Alligator clips / clamps plus bamboo skewers for kebabs! They're much cheaper to buy separately and assemble.

Oh brilliant
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You can find alligator clips at craft stores like Michael's. I got my bamboo skewers at a grocery store. Much cheaper than buying a bunch of small dowels at the craft store. Use masking tape to put them together.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Also Amazon for $10 for 50 with rubber covers.

Make sure you glue the clip to the stick!

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Athenor wrote: »
    Where can you get those clips on sticks?
    The online store (in Belgium, called Gunpla Belgium) where I ordered my Gunpla also had some accessories, like those sticks with clips.
    I noticed that HobbyLink Japan has several kinds; I searched for "clips" and found Painting Clip Medium, Useful Paint Clips Small, Mr.Almight Clips Hand-Held Deluxe Painting Clips,...
    I also noticed that you can buy only the clips separately (so you need to provide your own wooden sticks).

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I got mine at the hobby shop near work, along with the corrugated cardboard holders, knowing full well that I could make these myself. I am a sucker for convenience and supporting local businesses, though.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    I do kind of want a corrugated cardboard holder thing, but I ended up getting a block of green foam, like for use with potting fake plants. Easier to work with than styrofoam.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My only local hobby stores are Michaels and Hobby Lobby, and I feel kinda weird supporting the latter most of the time.

Why the rubber covers? Just for storage?

And in general, when priming/painting, should I fully disassemble or do like the above pics? I know -- think? -- that ABS can't be painted, and polycaps shouldn't so I'm not sure how much masking I should do.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I would try to disassemble entirely before painting. The only time I mask is before applying topcoat. The above pic is topcoat, so it's fine to leave it assembled as long as you can reach all the surfaces you want.

My only local hobby stores are Michaels and Hobby Lobby, and I feel kinda weird supporting the latter most of the time.

Why the rubber covers? Just for storage?

And in general, when priming/painting, should I fully disassemble or do like the above pics? I know -- think? -- that ABS can't be painted, and polycaps shouldn't so I'm not sure how much masking I should do.

Easier on your fingers than bare metal.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    oh man i have sooooo many gunpla instagrams i could recommend you

Uhhhhh yes please

There’s one account where this dude does nice photos of his gunpla alongside a new craft beer, which he reviews. Beer is gross, but the gunpla is good!

Wait, tell me this one
    I like beer AND gunpla

I found this one on my own btw, it's Colvinology

Can Instagram embed? Let's try

I can't quite tell there, is that the MG or the RG Wing Zero Custom?

Also thinking about it: How long till Bandai goes "WAIT WAIT WE CAN DO THE FLUGEL" and makes a Tallgeese Flugel RG that's Premium Bandai exclusive?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Lanz wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    oh man i have sooooo many gunpla instagrams i could recommend you

Uhhhhh yes please

There’s one account where this dude does nice photos of his gunpla alongside a new craft beer, which he reviews. Beer is gross, but the gunpla is good!

Wait, tell me this one
    I like beer AND gunpla

I found this one on my own btw, it's Colvinology

Can Instagram embed? Let's try

I can't quite tell there, is that the MG or the RG Wing Zero Custom?

Also thinking about it: How long till Bandai goes "WAIT WAIT WE CAN DO THE FLUGEL" and makes a Tallgeese Flugel RG that's Premium Bandai exclusive?

It uses the mg action base and doesn't have two tone colors. So mg.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My store is gauging interest in if they should place an order for the MG HeavyArms.

I'm kinda torn because it is so... white and primary color and such. I also have stronger memories of the HA Custom. But.. well, my drug dealer was like "Why not both?" someone else chimed in that HeavyArms Custom may be hard to find these days.

Right now they have the Master Grade ball. Doesn't look like it is the Ver. Ka one, but it is yellow and super detailed.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    That's probably the 08th Team Ball, it's like a hero unit of the kit with two cannons.

Also Barnes and Noble has had my 6th Form Barbatos in "processing" for two weeks. I'm starting to think they don't actually have it! Oops. :P

Oh brilliant
    My store is gauging interest in if they should place an order for the MG HeavyArms.

I'm kinda torn because it is so... white and primary color and such. I also have stronger memories of the HA Custom. But.. well, my drug dealer was like "Why not both?" someone else chimed in that HeavyArms Custom may be hard to find these days.

Right now they have the Master Grade ball. Doesn't look like it is the Ver. Ka one, but it is yellow and super detailed.

MG Heavyarms is the first kit I painted. It's really good.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If you REALLY want a Heavyarms Custom and don't want to break the bank for it the old no grade 1/100 one is way nicer than every other kit from that line. Way sturdier than the rest.

Color accuracy is pretty good even. Basically just a few stickers for the lines on the chest/shoulders and the jester face mask needs paint.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    no grade?

no grade?

Yeah, technically the EW 1/100s were still labeled as High Grades, like with the previous Wing TV series line of 1/100s

I'm not really sure when 1/100s during a series release no longer got a grade designation, but they did stop it at some point.

...Wait what the heck I just realized why didn't G Reco get some 1/100s at the time?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    okay double checking, looks like X still graded their 1/100s as HGs, so looks like Turn A was the first to drop a grade affiliation with their 1/100 lines

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    no grade?

Yeah, technically the EW 1/100s were still labeled as High Grades, like with the previous Wing TV series line of 1/100s

I'm not really sure when 1/100s during a series release no longer got a grade designation, but they did stop it at some point.

...Wait what the heck I just realized why didn't G Reco get some 1/100s at the time?

G Reco is, as I understand, really unpopular. Even when it was airing. So that's probably why.

X22wmuF.jpg
    turtleant wrote: »
    no grade?

G Reco is, as I understand, really unpopular. Even when it was airing. So that's probably why.

yeah but even then, 1/100 kits are generally planned before their series launches; though then again it was also fairly concurrent with one of the Build's at the time

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    I've completed the Barbatos, and he's a very slick looking boy, but now I'm looking at pictures of the Barbatos Lupus and wondering if I should've just skipped to him

I like that first (third?) form Barbatos more than the rest. Whichever early form has the big rounded white shoulder armor. But I would be lying if I didn't say that the only thing keeping me from getting a Barbatos Lupus Rex kit is the need to sticker or paint the claws. They should be yellow plastic!

The Rex is juuuuuust a bit much for me
    Little too busy

The "default" Barbatos is the Fourth Form. Prior to that it has a lot of filler parts to fix it up, Fourth is when it's restored to factory defaults, and then fifth and sixth have some Graze parts added on top. Lupus is a complete new armour set designed and built from scratch for it, and then the Rex uses scavenged Mobile Armour parts from the Hashmal to turn it into a monster.

I like the Fourth and Rex the most, I think. Maces are cool.

Oh brilliant
    edited September 2018
    Rex is my fave. Shame the stickers on the HG are such a nightmare.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    You know how a big a difference panel lining does, especially the first time?
    Well, it's the same amount of "big difference" when you do a matte top coat for the first time:
    rpv7nnuhhjc5.jpg
    It simply looks amazing! All scratches are suddenly hidden, and it's like the Gunpla is made from a different material!
    I also tried stickering for the first time (I added a 04 as it is my 4th Gunpla), and that is really fiddly :razz:
    I read somewhere (or saw it on Youtube) that cutting a foil rectangle from a sticker sheet and putting it behind its yellow visor has a very striking result, which it does (I used marking tape so that the yellow plastic would stay shiny), so I can recommend that step.

I do have to get some clear nail polish to make the hip ball joint and the ankel holder balljoints a bit tighter, because they pop off very often.

I'm very pleased with my result :biggrin:

edited September 2018
    what's a good technique for applying a topcoat from a can, anyhow? Like, distance between can and GunPla for instance, recommended number of passes, etc.

Also I guess what one should be on the lookout for regarding relative humidity, if you're coating outside?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    I was aiming for something like 20 to 30 cm (as was suggested in several youtube videos) but the weather conditions resulted me in going around 15-20 cm because of heavy winds outside (the spray would bend away after 20 cm). I used the Mr. Hobby Premium Topcoat (flat) which is in a light green can, instead of the regular Mr. Hobby Topcoat (flat) blue can.

I found this video that told me that I could spray from closer distances with this topcoat:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OqhbetaHEwg

I also read/saw somewhere that you want to put the can in the sun for a while, or in warm water to heat it up, for better spray results.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84SqvC43qFQ

All I'm saying is, when the live action movie happens, if it's a OYW adaptation they need to contract out Andrew W.K. for vocal themes.

What will they have commit to? How much will they leave behind?
    I Pray, Pray, To bring you a new day!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited September 2018
    Meanwhile, they announced a Figure-rise line Haro now*, which is about twice as big as the regular Haropla

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/09/figure-rise-mechanics-haro-release-info.html

And more detailed
    figure-rise-mechanics-haro1.jpg

Also look above Haro's eyes

look above their eyes

*which is... I am vaguely confused on this? I guess Figure-rise now is just "anything that is not explicitly a mecha but also isn't Super MiniPla"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    look above their eyes
    Screen%2BShot%2B2016-05-26%2Bat%2B7.46.54%2BPM.png

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
    I've decided I now need to build both the Lupus upgrades

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I've completed the Barbatos, and he's a very slick looking boy, but now I'm looking at pictures of the Barbatos Lupus and wondering if I should've just skipped to him

I built the HG Lupus with the large claw arms, it was a fun build and I really like it. It's the only non UC, BF, or Wing kit I've built and it has raised my interest in the other IBO kits. If I build another HG soon I may get another IBO kit along with something from Build Divers. I haven't been able to keep up with the show but I really like some of the kits I've seen. My next two kits are going to be RGs, the Talgeese and the GP-01. I also need to finish putting the decals on my RG Zaku II. I went and looked at RGs on Amazon and didn't realize how many had been released and from a pretty good variety of series.

NSDFRand on
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

It's cool to see MSIA get some space in there (in the bottom right corner it looks like the Extended MSIA MK II and reentry sled and I think the reentry sled he's holding is from that) and not just Gunpla.

Edit: And after looking at it a little longer it looks like the Nu Gundam is the EMSIA too.

NSDFRand on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm tempted to just dump the HG Thrones I have in a "maybe I'll build and paint them later (never)" pile and start on the MG Banshee. They're pretty crude kits; low articulation, lots of details left plain, minimal equipment. Decisions. :?

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    has anyone tried the new BB senshi sorry, "cross silhouette" kits with like, the more complex inner skeleton?

i like the proportions on those better than other super deformed kits i've seen in the past, but i was wondering how flexible they ultimately are, since most pictures seem to feature them without the inner frame

edited September 2018
    Obligatory "I may have made a mistake" post:
    yqbj5blqaqtf.jpg
    Nope! No mistake!
    7jgexq0v2st6.jpg
    And I haven’t even assembled my regular RX-78-2 Revive :lol:
    I guess it's normal that you have a building backlog before you know it? :rotate:

Corporal Carl on
    Z'Gok E? Zock?

i see you are also a man of culture

uc3ufTB.png