As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Craw Eternal

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Craw Eternal

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    As much as I look at it, I still can't be sure if those arms are someone the Deep Crab is devouring, or its own tiny appendages.

dennis on
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Wow I think they outdid themselves with this one. It's really good and really on message.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    As much as I look at it, I still can't be sure if those arms are someone the Deep Crab is devouring, or its own tiny appendages.

I think the latter. It needs to be able to type. They may not have belonged to it originally, though?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Oh shit, that's in equal parts brutal and entirely accurate. Especially that last line, Jesus H. Christ!

I hope they've Cast a Pod for this, because I would love to hear them talk about this more.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Neither that is someone being fucked, you can clearly see the mouth, but the youtube penii (plural) is not shown.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Hey guess who’s next for demonitization?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    zepherin wrote: »
    penii (plural)

Sorry, but no.

• kakitamikekakitamike OhioRegistered User regular
    Is there a news story this is riffing on, or do I need to be a youtube regular to get this? I guess i'm out of the loop.

• marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    kakitamike wrote: »
    Is there a news story this is riffing on, or do I need to be a youtube regular to get this? I guess i'm out of the loop.

It's in reference to this article, which I found by googling "youtube breakdown videos":

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/18/17871910/burnout-youtube-statement-elle-mills-jacksepticeye-h3h3-elrubius-ryan-wyatt
    YouTube creators are constantly addressing the issues they face on the platform, but two stand out above the rest: demonetization and burnout....

It’s a subject that YouTube’s executive team takes seriously, according to Ryan Wyatt, who oversees gaming content — and one they’re trying to be more transparent over.

“I just think we should be the thought leaders in the space given our size and scale,” Wyatt told Polygon. “I think we owe it to our creators. This is something my team particularly talks about often because we manage the top creators as a business. We spend a lot of time having these conversations, and we take it very, very seriously...”

...Wyatt didn’t outline any specific tools that YouTube is working on, but pointed to YouTube’s recent community tab as an example of trying to help creators keep in touch with fans without having to upload daily or every other day.

marsilies on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Penes" or "penises".

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Man, Wyatt's line really does mean nothing.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    maybe I've misunderstood what this whole hubbub is about; a lot of channels I like upload a video a week or even less

the complaint I guess is that all these personal or 'lifestyle' channels have to produce videos every day to keep people interested? And it's like yeah, cause most of your content is dumb bullshit

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    maybe I've misunderstood what this whole hubbub is about; a lot of channels I like upload a video a week or even less

the complaint I guess is that all these personal or 'lifestyle' channels have to produce videos every day to keep people interested? And it's like yeah, cause most of your content is dumb bullshit

You have misunderstood what this whole hubbub is about.

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    I am livid at the inaccuracy of the portrayal of the Youtube/Google Daemoncrab representative.

For one, they never go anywhere without their snack infant tote.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    "Penes" or "penises".

"Peens"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • LazyDogJumperLazyDogJumper Registered User regular
    I am genuinely curious how some of the youtubers I am a fan of might react to this comic, knowing that I have heard them complain about the issues of this stripe.

• trickcyclisttrickcyclist Registered User regular
    "Penes" or "penises".

"Peens"

Peninis

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    This covers it pretty well, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FJEtCvb2Kw

sig.gif
  • Dodo SandvichDodo Sandvich Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Well that one is about authenticity, it doesn't really touch on burnout. But yeah, good old Youtube is dead. Long live idiots making controversies in the name of money and Youtube for some reason favoring people who make quantity over quality.

edited September 2018
    and Youtube for some reason favoring people who make quantity over quality.

It's really not a mystery; youtube favors money over quality. You will find this to be a common factor among most businesses.

dennis on
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Well that one is about authenticity, it doesn't really touch on burnout. But yeah, good old Youtube is dead. Long live idiots making controversies in the name of money and Youtube for some reason favoring people who make quantity over quality.

The main relevance is the point brought up in the comic, that YouTube is tone deaf when it offers community interaction as a cure for burnout when it is the endless demand for pretending to be your viewers' friend that *causes* burnout.

Edit: man that is a horrible Hellpit Abomination of a runon sentence

RatherDashing89 on
  • GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The biggest issue is the arms race between Google and the video spammers. In order to combat them, Google has tried to leverage machine learning to figure out which videos are original and genuine and which ones are spam. The problem is, machine learning determined that popular videos are not spam, so it *really* pushes popular youtubers over newcomers. Also, people really like cheap crappy videos that are only *barely* not spam. So you wind up with an AI pushing the same videos to everyone, while the spammers throw out Elsagate-level content to kids because that gets views, gets ads, and gets money.

I'm encouraged by the growth of Twitch. I think we're going to see a lot more small, focused platforms start up in the coming years and break the Youtube de facto monopoly. Especially with the rise of Patreon as a source of funding, Youtube's biggest draw (ads for monetizing) has far less grip than it used to. Many of the people I followed on Youtube have switched over to Twitch for streaming and just post the Twitch videos to Youtube afterwards for a little residual money.

Grendus on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

The main relevance is the point brought up in the comic, that YouTube is tone deaf when it offers community interaction as a cure for burnout when it is the endless demand for pretending to be your viewers' friend that *causes* burnout.

Edit: man that is a horrible Hellpit Abomination of a runon sentence

I concur: Lindsay explains that having to act chipper and cheerful all the time is emotionally taxing. The same holds true for people working directly with customers, which is a subject that has been researched often. When you're on YT you're expected to act in certain ways and be on all the time. There are notable exceptions, but they are often older or have been doing the online thing a lot longer. They're folks like Mike and Jerry or like Casey Neistat: they can afford to do their own thing and only interact with their fans when they want to.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Neither that is someone being fucked, you can clearly see the mouth, but the youtube penii (plural) is not shown.

It's really more of an ovipositor. That dude is having a few thousand eggs deposited into his internal cavities. When hatched, the brood will begin to fight and cannibalize each other.

Aldo wrote: »
    I concur: Lindsay explains that having to act chipper and cheerful all the time is emotionally taxing. The same holds true for people working directly with customers, which is a subject that has been researched often.

Any chance to drop this in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LiDTKEF1ek

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Penes" or "penises".

"Peens"

Peninis

"Penini" is actually the plural already. The proper singular would be "penino".

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Penino" is a diminutive.

This is why you should build your brand on being a cranky slob who doesn't want to work.

Looks like it was more obviously the latter before he added the color:

swyeit13q6dc.png

(Thanks to twitch user DialupWizard56k for pointing me to it.)

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Daddy two penini.