As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    That makes sense, though I definitely am glad I bought the infinite gathering tools. Truth be told, the reason I bought shared slots to begin with was so I'd have enough slots to trade those easily between the character I was playing.
    I also was very happy with my purchase of the copper-salvage-o-matic thingie...after I resisted for YEARS because I thought it used the MATERIAL copper to work instead of the currency *forehead slap*.

And I think you're right about a few of the shared slots being free.

vamen on
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'm nowhere near finished the story, but a mechanic I like about this episode...
    The karma buff for the map and portal scroll are ACHIEVEMENT rather than CURRENCY based

The mechanic for moving the civilians in the first story instance is pretty clunky though!

Unrelated note: even if you're not planning on raiding, go into a fresh instance of the new raid, it's entertaining ;)

Leandriell on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I got that world boss dealio when it came out, plus Mistlock pass, I'm a sucker for convenience items.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    New map seems fun. Very diverse.

• Options
    I got that world boss dealio when it came out, plus Mistlock pass, I'm a sucker for convenience items.

I got the airship pass and the world boss dealio, both of which I shoved into my new shared slots. The world boss device is especially nice so I don't have to bother with website, plus the "nearest waypoint" teleport is nice.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Leandriell wrote: »
    I'm nowhere near finished the story, but a mechanic I like about this episode...
    The karma buff for the map and portal scroll are ACHIEVEMENT rather than CURRENCY based

The mechanic for moving the civilians in the first story instance is pretty clunky though!

Unrelated note: even if you're not planning on raiding, go into a fresh instance of the new raid, it's entertaining ;)

While I haven't beaten the first raid boss yet, it also feels less... idk. Less murderously punishing as the other raids? Potentially because the situation is more lighthearted?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    I would really like to see some raids, but I never even got to do all the regular dungeons. How hardcore does one need to be to do raids?

• Options
    vamen wrote: »
    I would really like to see some raids, but I never even got to do all the regular dungeons. How hardcore does one need to be to do raids?

Pretty damn, unfortunately. However, there are raid training guilds that you can get in on that will help you out.

• Options
    That's pretty cool, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    The new raid is actually pretty accessible, so with any luck the toxic elitist crowd will vanish within a couple of weeks so that pugs won't be so scary to join. Didn't full clear, but every group I was in yesterday was able to see all of the mechanics and get the boss down to about 25% if they spent more than 30 minutes on it. The hardcore guilds already full cleared with all cheevos, which gives me hope that this will be the raid that everyone gets to enjoy.

• Options
    Awesome news Sharkey. Planning on trying to hit it next week!

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed this episode. I took my time with it and didn't rush through. Still lots to find and experience. The new meta boss in the new zone is really fun. The map is really interesting visually too.

I'm also making good progress towards step 1 precursor for Astralaira. I'm about 5 deldrimor bars and 4 spiritwood planks away from crafting it. I'm finding farming for this precursor to be a lot less painful than other ones I've tried for. Partially because I already had the leather to make the inscription so didn't have to stress about farming that, but also the fact that I can only craft 1x per day of certain components kind of compartmentalises how much farming I need to do each day. I don't feel like I need to farm 750 elderwood logs and 2500 iron or something like that. Just 90 iron a day. I can farm that up in less than an hour.

• Options
    naengwen wrote: »
    The new raid is actually pretty accessible, so with any luck the toxic elitist crowd will vanish within a couple of weeks so that pugs won't be so scary to join. Didn't full clear, but every group I was in yesterday was able to see all of the mechanics and get the boss down to about 25% if they spent more than 30 minutes on it. The hardcore guilds already full cleared with all cheevos, which gives me hope that this will be the raid that everyone gets to enjoy.

Seconded! Managed to grab an impromptu training run earlier.
    Second boss(es!) was fun, though not sure I'm getting the "don't fall" achi any time soon ;) Down within an hour with a pug, so definitely accessible! Haven't tried boss 1 yet, but krewe I was with said it was a fair bit easier.

• Options
    Anyone know if that world boss detector detects the Legendary Ley Line Anomaly? Thats's my last piece to the saddle and I have had NO luck with it.

• Options
    It does not, but there is a lodestone you can get from an NPC that will tell you when the anomaly is up.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ley-Infused_Lodestone

• Options
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks!

Also, this thing will tell you: https://gw2timer.com/

• Options
    Finally got my Griffon last night. It's awesome. Also dove back into WvW because I needed the gift of battle eventually for my legendary, but also need memories of battle. Next thing you know I'm back into WvW and spent the whole day there. Researched some builds and now I'm playing support firebrand.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Finally got my Griffon last night. It's awesome. Also dove back into WvW because I needed the gift of battle eventually for my legendary, but also need memories of battle. Next thing you know I'm back into WvW and spent the whole day there. Researched some builds and now I'm playing support firebrand.

Is there some kind of trick to getting in WvW? I've popped into each of the battlegrounds and the eternal one many times over the years, and I still don't really understand how I go about finding a zerg or group to help out. Even with the recent changes, I pop in, search for a squad, and nothing returns. Then, if I go exploring for one, I just end up getting killed by something and have to revive all the way back at the portal. It's a real turnoff if you don't know what you're doing. I don't mind putting a little effort into it, but it all feels unnecessarily difficult to find the blob of people killing the other blob of people.

• Options

Is there some kind of trick to getting in WvW? I've popped into each of the battlegrounds and the eternal one many times over the years, and I still don't really understand how I go about finding a zerg or group to help out. Even with the recent changes, I pop in, search for a squad, and nothing returns. Then, if I go exploring for one, I just end up getting killed by something and have to revive all the way back at the portal. It's a real turnoff if you don't know what you're doing. I don't mind putting a little effort into it, but it all feels unnecessarily difficult to find the blob of people killing the other blob of people.

Well it can be hit or miss. But what I've done is pop into eternal battlegrounds and then see if a commander has tagged up. If so you can often just join their squad and follow them around.

These zerg squads have actually really changed since I last spent much time in WvW. It used to be two zergs would sit back and poke eachother until one just charged and wipes the other. This still sometimes happens, but what I've seen happen a lot now are these back and forth fights where the two zergs sort of push back and forth and sometimes try to flank eachother. But there's a real back and forth flow to it now that almost feels like watching a flock of birds change direction over and over. I've also seen fights where one zerg clearly has numbers and will ultimately win the fight but it takes a while, and the smaller zerg actually can beat something of a slow retreat.

I will say though that the meta builds for wvw are very focused. I originally went in with my glass-cannon melee condition firebrand and he just got exploded and rarely managed to be of any help whatsoever. But I had something like 2500 badges of honor left over from years ago so I could buy a really cheap exo set of soldier's gear, respeced for a support/power build, and am actually helpful for my group now, even if I don't really do much damage.

• Options

1. Ask in /team or /map chat. Often people don't advertise on LFG. I think it's more because honestly, just going into map chat and asking works easier.
    2. Look for the commander tags.
    3. Depending on what server you're on, there's often a Teamspeak or Discord channel that you can join in on; when I used to WvW I would hop in on the Fort Aspenwood Teamspeak and hang out with whoever was tolerating PUGs.
    4. It does depend strongly on your server. The hardcore servers, which are the ones which will actually pick up their tents and move en-masse to a new server when they get salty, tend to be annoying to play both on AND against, because they often won't put you in if they don't know you, because they suck. Fort Aspenwood has been solidly bottom-of-top-tier / top of middle tier for ages and has a strong community, so you tend to get good fights and good camaraderie, but people don't get too salty or stupid (tho I haven't been WvWing in more than six months, so... idk). I have *heard* that Tarnished Coast is similar, tho a bit more hardcore, but I can't really confirm (which is still odd to me since they're the RP server? whatever).

• Options
    rasaellarasaella Registered User new member
    I can't get into my account right now because my authenticator was on my old phone. So while I am waiting for my ticket to be resolved I made a free account. If I could possibly get an invite on it that would be cool. It's Bryllyg.2056

• Options
    I finally started playing the new story.
    I'm REALLY glad to have my buddy Koss back

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    For the end of the season, my hope is
    we ride Aurene trying to reach Kralk for a killing blow, phasing in and out of the Mists as we go with our forces on Tyria holding off Branded and an assortment of heroes (maybe even the remaining gods...) fighting them in the Mists.

Since Kralk is inside the Mists, there shouldn’t be as much of an issue with the gods fighting the dragon as there would be on Tyria. Would be a proper send off for ‘em compared to Kormir telling us everybody peaced out, and the Mists provides the perfect excuse for them to get involved without fully committing to fighting the dragons.

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the cute thing dies in the end.

That's how these go.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the cute thing dies in the end.

That's how these go.

No following.

• Options
    So because I can be patient I sold my achievement-related sigils for sweet sweet cash. I'll finish that whole thing when prices drop back to silver pieces. Really a ridiculous requirement.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So I was looking through the novelty section previews and found this one under chairs:

9bfebb9ca3cd934d660c40236e9152eb.png

The description doesn't state where it's from, but I'm assuming it'll be on the Gem Store at some point.

• Options
    So I was looking through the novelty section previews and found this one under chairs:

The description doesn't state where it's from, but I'm assuming it'll be on the Gem Store at some point.

It's the new raid wing reward for getting all of the achievements done.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular

It's the new raid wing reward for getting all of the achievements done.

Aww. Dang, kinda wanted it just to have something in my chair slot.

But thanks for letting me know!

• Options
    I KNEW IT I KNEW THERE WOULD BE SOMETHING LIKE A SCROOGE MCDUCK MONEY POOL

• Options

I'm loving it, and the new bar stool chair they added. Both have an actual sitting position that don't make charr look as awkward as possible :)

• Options

I'm loving it, and the new bar stool chair they added. Both have an actual sitting position that don't make charr look as awkward as possible :)

Further proof that you can never have too much treasure.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I just unlocked the roller beetle, it so much fun.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Finally got Mawdrey. Goddamn I hate crafting timers.

• Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I just unlocked the roller beetle, it so much fun.

Appropriate music when you first unlock it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjxr952u6kU

Appropriate music once you unlock drifting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA

I've built two Guild Hall race tracks so far for the beetles, and the old maps have so many awesome circuits. I wish ANet would roll out (lel) better support for tracks, but whatever. If you wanna construct courses of your own, guild decorations you'll want to consider are:

- Super Rock Platform (largest guild decoration, and it's flat)
    - Super Rock Ramp (it is the only ramp decoration that you can use for proper jumps)
    - Zephyr Bridge (For guilds that don't raid much, it's cheap and gives you straightaways)
    - Rec Room Floor Tile(Guilds that raid will have thousands of these, it's small but you can create precise tracks with it)

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    I would also have accepted this as the post-drifting track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    GW2 has never run smoothly for me. Actually I didn't start playing until Path of Fire partially because I could never get the game to play without some form of crippling lag-input (and I was living overseas at the time which didn't help). When I did start playing on this new rig the game performed pretty well (although I would occasionally get frame-rate drops when spanning the camera in a new direction). Somehow in the year long break I took the game has developed more problems. Occasionally the graphics card just crashes. Also, I can't seem to get above 34 fps even in relatively empty settings like the guild hall. I feel like an i5 6600k and 980 TI should be able to bend this game over backwards, so I put in a support ticket and here is the latest advice they've given me:
    Please try using the instructions below to prevent background applications from automatically starting with Windows as this can often causes issues like the one you reported. Please note, this process will not uninstall any applications from your computer (just prevent these applications from automatically starting when Windows boots up).

First, open the Windows Start menu and type in "MSCONFIG." This will start a search for any "Apps" called "MSCONFIG."
    The first and only result should be "System Configuration." Left click on this. A new window will appear called "System Configuration."
    Click the "Services" tab.
    Click "Hide all Microsoft Services" at the bottom and once done, click "Disable All" (you MUST click "Hide all Microsoft Services" to avoid deactivating essential programs).
    Click the "Startup" tab.
    Click "Open Task Manager."
    A list will be generated of all the applications you have set to start when Windows first boots up. Right-click on these applications one by one and select "Disable." Once completed, click "Ok" to save your changes. This will prompt you to reboot your computer. Please do so.
    Once you return to Windows, try connecting again.

Aren't there a lot of start-up things in MSCONFIG I don't want to turn off? I don't want to open myself up to lots of computer issues just to play one game...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    That advice is akin to saying "just turn off your AV before installing!"

It's not an acceptable solution.

Besides updating drivers, there's not much you can do. I've watched the same thing happen to my wife's ability to play GW2. She's slowly had to turn down settings to get consistent performance. Using similar hardware.

They just keep tinkering, but it's certainly harming performance.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    the game is very, very cpu dependent. The graphics card does some work, but really a bulk of it is on the cpu (and it doesn't really use multi-core cpus very well either). Before my upgrade, I was running on a i5 3550 with a gtx 970 and although I couldn't run it at max settings very well (I always turned down shadows, particle effects, etc.), it still ran better than that. If the game is crashing out and you're seeing very low performance, I'd definitely check your system. Turning off everything non-microsoft related in msconfig is... "meh," to be honest; but it does give you somewhere to start as long as nothing else is running as well. After that, make sure you don't have any system issues like improperly installed systems (you can check a lot of that in the device manager, i.e. HDD drivers, controllers, etc.). Possibly run a stress test on the system to check for memory errors, then check to see if your GPU us getting enough power from the power supply (these two are some of the biggest issues with crashes).

253J736.png